• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 III | AITAKATTA YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Phi Brain s2 11

And so Nonoha learns that she's needed to uphold the status quo. Excellent >_>

I hope there's actually some meaning to that scene with her in the OP.

Haiyore! Nyaruko-san 11
hPm17.jpg
My little sister? can't possibly be this cute!
Uh, a lopsided episode. The antics with the loli weren't bad, nothing new really. Random references here and there, but it was a lot less than normal I would say. The metal slime beatdown was fun-ish, and the chase scene was a chance to show off the other ignored characters of the show.
Didn't like Mahiro suddenly hitting puberty nor the overly dramatic cliffhanger. Why even bother with a hint of a conclusion. This show should just be tossing out references left and right not throwing drama into the mix.

Time to look up Magi and see if it'll interest me. Everything seems to be boring after one watches Boogie Nights for the first time, I might add. I'm going through that stage of the day again!

Jex

S Heck, even the shadows had some meaning to the plot. It's a film-wank's dream show, because every frame packs some kind of visual metaphor waiting to be read.

Aren't all shots supposed to have meaning and convey ideas and emotions? I mean, that's kind of the point!
It feels like it's been forever since I watched the show, but I really don't remember anything about it in terms of how it looks other than the postcard moments. Maybe at that point, I just wasn't struck by any of the art.

I don't know about that. Oniisama e... has so much obvious visual stylisation that at times you could argue that it's overwrought.

22part1.jpg

Time to look up Magi and see if it'll interest me. Everything seems to be boring after one watches Boogie Nights for the first time, I might add. I'm going through that stage of the day again!

I'm not so sure it's for you, but that's mostly because I'm not fully aware of your tastes beyond Lupin and other random old stuff you've watched. It's an adventure battle shounen based on 1001 Arabian Nights, so if that sounds appealing, go for it.

Hate that its another long running show but I'll check out some of it.

Well we have no idea if it will be long running or not. I just want it to be because I like full adaptations. With my luck, it will be a 2 cour show (which would probably make everyone else happy).

Huh. Well: I don't know if I like magical girls and/or shounen quite yet (just haven't tried anything recently), so I wonder how this production might compare to, say, One Piece?

Jex

Oh. Well that's sometimes the impression you give off, from my POV at least. Dezaki incorporated his style into cel animation, which is what I was referring to. This sounds plain different.

That makes more sense. I've never heard of it either. And, frankly, it sounds like it'd be considered a footnote even on Anipages, so there's that too.

I am pretty sure you require some actual, you know, animation to get on AniPages. Band of Ninja is literally stills.

Yes, I know, technically animation is nothing but a large number of stills, but whatever. You get my point!

Jex

Aquarion Evol 25

PLEASE don't backtrack on this next episode.

I noticed something this episode. The way gattaing works in this makes it ideal as a JRPG. Then the 3 party member limit is actually justified. Hell, Amata chose a random ass party for the final boss here.

1 ep to go. Let's see how this all ends.

Kawamori is so far ahead of everyone else that his works might as well all be part of the the 'Kawamori' genre.

Oniisama e... seems to benefit from Akio Sugino's unique character designs, too. One of the great Dezaki collaborators. Very distinct character designs all-in-all. It's interesting to see how these designs developed, compared to the rather-faithful head shapes and figures that Ashita no Joe retained from the manga (though the manga had a lot more distortion overall).

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Aren't all shots supposed to have meaning and convey ideas and emotions? I mean, that's kind of the point!
I don't know about that. Oniisama e... has so much obvious visual stylisation that at times you could argue that it's overwrought.

http://i835.photobucket.com/albums/zz278/Jexhius/22part1.jpg

One of my favorite shots of this kind is the shattered mirror one:

Really, this sort of thing is all over the place.

Honestly, all those things kind of pale in comparison to the wackiness in Dusk Maiden though. I mean, Dusk Maiden is almost being made to be taught in an intro to film class with how obvious it gets. But sure, point taken. lol

Jex

Honestly, all those things kind of pale in comparison to the wackiness in Dusk Maiden though. I mean, Dusk Maiden is almost being made to be taught in an intro to film class with how obvious it gets. But sure, point taken. lol

Well, that's just the difference between stylish direction and stylish direction that's beats you over the head with it's obviousness, as a Shinbo-hater would say.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Well, stop me if you've heard this before, but I am pretty sure it's down to the writing of the characters.

I know, I know, it's crazy. People don't watch anime for those kinds of reasons! But I really do think that's what makes the series so successful. I know that people like to argue that it's the fanservice or the SHAFT-isms or the lolis but we've already seen how all those factors don't necessarily make a show successful. If you took away those characteristics and the way those characters talk and that self-indulgent dialogue from the series it wouldn't be popular at all.

I was actually being somewhat facetious in my "real reason" for Bakemonogatari's popularity, but I can see now that it would be impossible to tell that.

Several talky, SHAFTism-laden shows have come and gone without being particularly successful. I'd like to take a moment to mention Arakawa Under the Bridge, which has several stylistic similarities with Bakemonogatari but was a dismal seller. It had very SHAFT visual direction, cute girls, and an eccentric romance between two characters whose personalities vaguely resemble Koyomi and Hitagi, but they, like all the characters in Arakawa, were one-dimensional delivery vehicles for comedy whose personalities all hinged around a single quirk or conceit.

Bakemonogatari certainly doesn't receive enough credit for how well-written its two main characters are and, I would say even more importantly, deserves credit for the fact that it dares to be an anime romance that exhibits actual chemistry and believable attraction between characters. It's one of very few anime wherein I can actually understand why one of the characters loves another.
inb4 "the characters suck, you just have shit taste"

What was done with Koyomi's character in Nisemonogatari really was an extraordinarily horrible disservice and retroactively made his love for Hitagi less remarkable.

Jex

Phi Brain S2 11

Hey, remember when I said last week that this might be a Nonoha character development episode? Lol no, all she did is realize that she's the stock shounen series supporting female character whose only special skill is memorization and whose main role is to be moral support for everyone else.
Goddammit.

Next week is a Jikugawa episode, so hopefully that will be interesting.

I don't mean too sound wildly ignorant, but that show is still running?
Mechanical design for GiTS, Aquarion and some other stuff iirc.

I like that all of this comes to mind before Macross.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
On am unrelated note, I was messing with the MALgraph site and learned I evidently hate DEEN. Who knew.

This is really quite fascinating, as I'd never heard of this before you mentioned it. I'm discovering all sorts of things about myself.

M5dHY.jpg

Huh.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Well, that's just the difference between stylish direction and stylish direction that's beats you over the head with it's obviousness, as a Shinbo-hater would say.
Well, I did say it might be an art thing. A lot of the shots become purposefully surreal, so the director can use shots that are impossible in "reality" but look extremely stylish for the sake of showing - in the case of this episode - a character dealing with her emotional baggage.

Probably the closest that a show that tries to maintain some semblance of reality in its representation can get to that is a drug trip... because apparently taking any kind of drug makes the world melt around you.

Jex

And the real problem is that I wish I could simultaneously rate those films as 10 and 1, so they should really be on my favorite and least-favorite studio list at the same time.

Are you trying to suggest that a simple 1 - 10 numeric rating can't accurately convey your feelings about a piece of entertainment?

You crazy loon.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
But they went bankrupt in 2010 anyway.

Huh, so they did.

It looks like Shinpi no Hou, Happy Science's next film, is going to be produced by Nikkatsu Video. According to MAL, the only other anime that this studio is known to have produced was Uchiyama Aki, an OVA from 1985. The upcoming film promises to be a strange experience indeed.

The IGN scale, after all, is the most accurate set of criteria needed to create definitive analyses.

Hah. And lol at Nikkatsu Video. The Nikkatsu I know shitted on Seijun Suzuki and got destroyed by the Japanese counter-culture back around the turn of the '70s.

Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu 15
Not having watched this in a couple days, I actually have no idea how far along Endless Eight I am anymore. But, uh, more of the same of course. I have noticed that there were changes in outfits and locations where things were happening so I guess KyoAni did change it up instead of repeating the sequence ad-nauseum.

Jex

I won't be getting a MAL anytime soon for two pretty important reasons:

A) I don't find scoring entertainment with a number to be something that I will ever want to do.

B) I don't like masturbating in public.
Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu 15

Not having watched this in a couple days, I actually have no idea how far along Endless Eight I am anymore. But, uh, more of the same of course. I have noticed that there were changes in outfits and locations where things were happening so I guess KyoAni did change it up instead of repeating the sequence ad-nauseum.

They re-did everything from scratch each time. That's dedication!

Makoto

According to the MALgraph, my least favorite genre is Harem, which couldn't be further from the truth, but I suppose it's just indicative of how many bad harem shows I've seen and scored so low.

I won't be getting a MAL anytime soon for two pretty important reasons:

A) I don't find scoring entertainment with a number to be something that I will ever want to do.

B) I don't like masturbating in public.

You could do it in private.

As far as numbers go, if nothing else I find them a helpful means of sorting my list when I'm looking for recommendations to give someone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom