• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 III | AITAKATTA YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dresden

I was actually being somewhat facetious in my "real reason" for Bakemonogatari's popularity, but I can see now that it would be impossible to tell that.

Several talky, SHAFTism-laden shows have come and gone without being particularly successful. I'd like to take a moment to mention Arakawa Under the Bridge, which has several stylistic similarities with Bakemonogatari but was a dismal seller. It had very SHAFT visual direction, cute girls, and an eccentric romance between two characters whose personalities vaguely resemble Koyomi and Hitagi, but they, like all the characters in Arakawa, were one-dimensional delivery vehicles for comedy whose personalities all hinged around a single quirk or conceit.

Bakemonogatari certainly doesn't receive enough credit for how well-written its two main characters are and, I would say even more importantly, deserves credit for the fact that it dares to be an anime romance that exhibits actual chemistry and believable attraction between characters. It's one of very few anime wherein I can actually understand why one of the characters loves another.
inb4 "the characters suck, you just have shit taste"

What was done with Koyomi's character in Nisemonogatari really was an extraordinarily horrible disservice and retroactively made his love for Hitagi less remarkable.
Appealing character design--more so than direction, writing, or even the more otaku-friendly facets of production like well known VAs--probably accounts for success more than anything else. Note I didn't say good; just what people think is good.*

*I mean, people must like Macross Frontier or Gundam Seed's designs, right?

I didnt even know who Studio Khara is, but am surprised by the genres.
tumblr_m5txcwaKVw1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Jex

As far as numbers go, if nothing else I find them a helpful means of sorting my list when I'm looking for recommendations to give someone.

Well it's not just that I have like, a philosophical problem with scoring anything (although I do) it's more that I suck at it. It's really not something that I can actually do! I can't even make an unranked 'Your Ten Favourite Anime' list.

cajunator

Banned
Interesting it says Shaft is my least favorite studio but the opposite is true.
I wonder if its because I havent fully updated my MAL yet.
I also wonder how it decides this.

cajunator

Banned
Its probably because I have several shaft works as "on-hold" or "watching" since I have bought most of their stuff but havent fully watched it all. they are definitely one of my favorites though.

I was actually being somewhat facetious in my "real reason" for Bakemonogatari's popularity, but I can see now that it would be impossible to tell that.

Several talky, SHAFTism-laden shows have come and gone without being particularly successful. I'd like to take a moment to mention Arakawa Under the Bridge, which has several stylistic similarities with Bakemonogatari but was a dismal seller. It had very SHAFT visual direction, cute girls, and an eccentric romance between two characters whose personalities vaguely resemble Koyomi and Hitagi, but they, like all the characters in Arakawa, were one-dimensional delivery vehicles for comedy whose personalities all hinged around a single quirk or conceit.

Bakemonogatari certainly doesn't receive enough credit for how well-written its two main characters are and, I would say even more importantly, deserves credit for the fact that it dares to be an anime romance that exhibits actual chemistry and believable attraction between characters. It's one of very few anime wherein I can actually understand why one of the characters loves another.
inb4 "the characters suck, you just have shit taste"

What was done with Koyomi's character in Nisemonogatari really was an extraordinarily horrible disservice and retroactively made his love for Hitagi less remarkable.
Did we watch the same show? Admittedly, I still have more to watch.

Jex

I don't know why I never clicked through Bahi jd's links to that short piece that he did some animation for, but for anyone else who made the same blunder here it is: http://vimeo.com/39758142

Director : Takuya Hosogane 
Storyboard : Takuya Mitomi
Music : Jin 

cajunator

Banned
How can anyone hate Slice of Life anime?
or Ecchi?

I have no idea. It is so completely wrong about everything. Maybe its the haphazard ratings I gave everything. I really liked what Ive seen of Bake but I gave it a 7 for example.
I dont fucking know where this site gets this stuff. It definitely has some problems with the formulas.

cajunator

Banned
Well I love action shows, and it's among my most hated genres on this MAL thingy, so whatever.

Exactly. Its so fucking opposite of everything.
It lists a bunch of no-name random studios as my favorites despite me having seen maybe one show from that studio because I rated it higher. At least it noticed I like sunrise.

Grzi

Because most Slice of Life are really boring and slow. They need something to spice things up to make them interesting to me. The only good ones that Ive seen have just been Daily Lives of High School Boys, Kimi to Boku, and I guess Sekaiichi Hatsukoi and Ano Hana.

Have you seen Toradora DTL? I think you might like it, it's really great.

I have no idea. It is so completely wrong about everything. Maybe its the haphazard ratings I gave everything. I really liked what Ive seen of Bake but I gave it a 7 for example.
I dont fucking know where this site gets this stuff. It definitely has some problems with the formulas.

I kind of want to see what it would say about me, but I don't have a MAL, so I guess that curiosity ends here.

Or I could make one...

Go_Ly_Dow

hyouka 9

this is the only show in existence that could do so little with a high school girl drunk, whilst at school.

....but that's why i love it!

madp

The Light of El Cantare
B) I don't like masturbating in public.

This only applies if you're an active member of the MAL community or otherwise feel compelled to actively share the contents of your list with others. It's an excellent reference tool and you can make your list private and disable profile comments, private messages, and club invites if you so desire (and you'll really want to after the tenth time that someone tries to invite you to the ~*^NiChoLaS~xXx~D~xXx~WoLfWoOd~xXx~is~xXx~a~xXx~KaWaIi~xXx~BiShIe~xXx~ClUb^*~ just because they saw you update your episode count for Trigun.)

I give them the 10s they deserve to balance for you.

Truly, you have your heart open to El Cantare's will.

After completing the last few episodes of both MM! and Oreimo, I do not see how I can take any more abuse from two certain female seiyuu.
Should I further my torment by rewatching School Days?

Kazzy

How can anyone hate Slice of Life anime?
or Ecchi?

I try not to go into series being fully aware of what they are, because I find it quite heard to move past my pre-conceptions at times, specifically with anime. That said, I could not get past the the second episode of HSOTD, which might completely undermine that particular theory. I probably would have fared better, had I known what to expect.

1stStrike

Banned
whisper_of_the_heartb2k3k.jpg

This was a really sweet movie with some good characters in it. The scene in the image was absolutely fantastic too and was heart warming. This movie could have done with an extra 15 minutes or a sequel, though. They built up all these wonderful characters and then end it very prematurely.

Overall, I give this a 7/10. Great characters, animation and story, but suffers from a rushed ending.

Dresden

This was a really sweet movie with some good characters in it. The scene in the image was absolutely fantastic too and was heart warming. This movie could have done with an extra 15 minutes or a sequel, though. They built up all these wonderful characters and then end it very prematurely.

Overall, I give this a 7/10. Great characters, animation and story, but suffers from a rushed ending.

This is why scores suck.

survivor

Banned
So according to that MAL graph thingy, my top 3 favourite genres are mystery, police and martial arts. This last one is weird since I don't ever recall watching martial arts anime. My most hated genres are magic, romance and action. Also apparently, A-1 Pictures is my most favourite studio along with David Production lol

Kazzy

Now you can watch The Cat Returns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom