• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 III | AITAKATTA YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

1stStrike

Banned
The anime got so gripping, my emotions.

I'm looking forward to the rest. I might pull a late nighter to finish it up...

Don't recall anyone raging at the ending

Good! It would suck if an anime of this caliber had a shitty ending.

In that case I guess I should pick up a series with a plot while I watch Futurama, err, Gintama.

If you haven't watched it already, come join me on the Stein's Gate train.

Narag

Sailor Moon S 118

Nice silly episode although Chibiusa's blue dress returned. Long time viewers know what this means. smh The very sudden shifts of of Tomoe's face between with and without shadow was really neat.

The Death Busters are so damn laid back at times. Professor Tomoe went to buy snacks for a company function after this scene. No joke.

t3WYdl.png

Surreal episode time.

Second half with the gambling daimon reminded me quite a bit of the D'Arby episode of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. Seemed like a spoof with the blatant cheating rather than the smoothness of D'Arby, the weird bets, the trapped senshi, and this being their only option.

Or maybe I'm just reading too much into this and it's just a trope I'm not altogether familiar with.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Sailor Moon S 118

Nice silly episode although Chibiusa's blue dress returned. Long time viewers know what this means. smh The very sudden shifts of of Tomoe's face between with and without shadow was really neat.

The Death Busters are so damn laid back at times. Professor Tomoe went to buy snacks for a company function after this scene. No joke.

Oh yeah, this was one of the best episodes of the season. Tomoe being a normal guy and falling asleep on his front porch, senshi gambling (and especially Rei jenga, which I'm glad you chose to screencap), and JUUUUUUUMANJI. I recall there being a stretch of fairly routine episodes before this which made the return to quality humor very much welcomed
sorry Hito, I just didn't like 117, even if it was an Ikuhara episode.

survivor

Banned
Future Boy Conan 6

LA75s.png

Have no idea how Conan was still able to walk after that jump.
Good fast paced episode and a lot of stuff and new revelations happened. We got a rough idea about Lepka's plan and how much of an asshole he is. Dyce
changed sides pretty quickly and rebelled against Industria. Though he is not technically an ally of Conan, more of the enemy of my enemy is my friend. I loved his plan to sneak in and his costume change.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Fate/Zero 23

Okay, for real now.. I might be the only one in here that isn't really feeling this show. Maybe the Fate/ universe isn't for me or whatever. There are some interesting ideas, and the animation is pretty great (though the abundant use of CG for almost every effect is somewhat boring), but the story hasn't gripped me. Obviously Kiritsugu has the most interesting history, but that's already dealt with. The scenes have some really great atmosphere and tension at times, like when Kiritsugu and Maiya are out snipping and sneaking, but it's often broken up by long and pointless battles like the one with Caster. Whole show just got straight up silly for me with that. Rider's recent encounter was just the same hat trick with zero thinking or planning behind it. Is it just me? I feel like this show has had several chances to be genuinely great, but decides mediocrity every time in almost every area except for animation and voice acting. The best parts have been Rin's adventure, and Kiritsugu's flashback eps. Everything else has been boring :/ even all the girls wear pants, like Saber, Waver, etc..

Hashire Melos! (1992)

Let it be known that the combined talent of men like Satoshi Kon, Hiroyuki Okiura, Mitsuo Iso, and Masaaki Osumi all played a wondrous part in crafting this fine film.

It certainly has flaws: the authenticity of the character designs, notably of Melos and his sister, feels a bit off. Ettinger made a good point of pointing out how generic his design is, although I think Celine looks plenty Greek to me. And there's only so much historical accuracy you're going to get before something like that shows up and ruins the fun. One final niggle would be how they revealed the fate of Syracuse's reigning King Dionysius II, who is merely deposed
by his own people
. Not cool—things like that don't just happen before the Common Era, and it would have been more interesting if he had kept on to his rule following the climax of the story.

But that's got more to do with the Japanese short-story itself, rather than the anime adaptation (of which this is the second). Overall: this film was amazing. And it feels like an Osumi work, through-and-through.

Couldn't be bothered to provide snaps for this one, because the picture quality is horrible. Never mind imgur's compression and all, because this OVA's on videotape!

Branduil

Fate/Zero 23

Okay, for real now.. I might be the only one in here that isn't really feeling this show. Maybe the Fate/ universe isn't for me or whatever. There are some interesting ideas, and the animation is pretty great (though the abundant use of CG for almost every effect is somewhat boring), but the story hasn't gripped me. Obviously Kiritsugu has the most interesting history, but that's already dealt with. The scenes have some really great atmosphere and tension at times, like when Kiritsugu and Maiya are out snipping and sneaking, but it's often broken up by long and pointless battles like the one with Caster. Whole show just got straight up silly for me with that. Rider's recent encounter was just the same hat trick with zero thinking or planning behind it. Is it just me? I feel like this show has had several chances to be genuinely great, but decides mediocrity every time in almost every area except for animation and voice acting. The best parts have been Rin's adventure, and Kiritsugu's flashback eps. Everything else has been boring :/ even all the girls wear pants, like Saber, Waver, etc..

If you can't enjoy Rider, that's on you.

Fate/Zero 23

You make that sound like a bad thing.

Makoto

Ladies versus Butlers 2-3

It's almost like Upotte!! didn't end. Thank you based Akio Takami.

The characters so far seem slightly better than the typical archetype. The main character and the tsundere in particular are really benefiting from this high-class/servant academy.

Hashire Melos! (1992)

Let it be known that the combined talent of men like Satoshi Kon, Hiroyuki Okiura, Mitsuo Iso, and Masaaki Osumi all played a wondrous part in crafting this fine film.

It certainly has flaws: the authenticity of the character designs, notably of Melos and his sister, feels a bit off. Ettinger made a good point of pointing out how generic his design is, although I think Celine looks plenty Greek to me. And there's only so much historical accuracy you're going to get before something like that shows up and ruins the fun. One final niggle would be how they revealed the fate of Syracuse's reigning King Dionysius II, who is merely deposed
by his own people
. Not cool—things like that don't just happen before the Common Era, and it would have been more interesting if he had kept on to his rule following the climax of the story.

But that's got more to do with the Japanese short-story itself, rather than the anime adaptation (of which this is the second). Overall: this film was amazing. And it feels like an Osumi work, through-and-through.

Couldn't be bothered to provide snaps for this one, because the picture quality is horrible. Never mind imgur's compression and all, because this OVA's on videotape!

I really enjoyed Ryosuke Nakamura's version of this story in Aoi Bungaku, and I've heard great things about this one, so I certainly look forward to getting around to it.

Why does everyone hate Luffy anyway?

He's loud, brash, annoying, dense, idiotic, obnoxious, insensitive, etc., etc. He's that 10 year old brat running around and stepping on everyone's toes at a family gathering. I just want to strangle him.

cajunator

Banned
Yes.

Damn them for not wearing short skirts and flashing their panties every scene.

I would have liked that. Oh well.

The characters so far seem slightly better than the typical archetype. The main character and the tsundere in particular are really benefiting from this high-class/servant academy.

Holy goddamn that hair.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
He's loud, brash, annoying, dense, idiotic, obnoxious, insensitive, etc., etc. He's that 10 year old brat running around and stepping on everyone's toes at a family gathering. I just want to strangle him.
Isn't that the point of the shounen protagonist? And funny enough, that also could be a description of Spongebob!

Oh yes, the other show with the troll girlfriend. I guess that's three, so it has to be a trope now.

Isn't that the point of the shounen protagonist? And funny enough, that also could be a description of Spongebob!

I've seen shounen with much better protagonists, such as YYH, FMA, Gintama, even Toriko. And I don't like Spongebob!

I mean, I'm sure Luffy was designed to appeal to young boys, but it doesn't work for me.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Blu-ray -> bad looking upscale, really weird looking. It almost looks like they literally upscaled it from an MPEG2 DVD encode because it has that artifacty look that shouldn't happen with AVC.
US DVD -> bad looking PAL to NTSC conversion

So, probably the PAL DVD.

Neat. The backgrounds are a lot better in this film than they were in his Lupin stuff, which I think is interesting. Osumi never cared for backgrounds back when he did Lupin—he just left the non-directing stuff to the rest of the staff, like an anime outsider probably would.

Blu-ray -> bad looking upscale, really weird looking. It almost looks like they literally upscaled it from an MPEG2 DVD encode because it has that artifacty look that shouldn't happen with AVC.
US DVD -> bad looking PAL to NTSC conversion

So, probably the PAL DVD.
I found this:
As far as I can tell, Toei animated this at 24fps to the music, and then converted it to 25fps for EMI using an old-fashioned NTSC>PAL converter box. The French release is basically this master upscaled, while the US release is that master converted back to 24fps, complete with dropped frames and deinterlacing artifacts.

Sadly, it's not ever going to look better. Not unless EMI gets Toei to re-animate the whole thing from scratch, anyway.

Make no mistake, the R1 DVD has some awful compression and no lossless, so the Blu-ray isn't worse... it just isn't much better, either.
That sounds awful.

IDK if this was VHS or LD, to be honest. Information's scarce. Either way: the visual quality leaves something to be desired.

I feel like we're trying to find play Faye Valentine's secret tape in this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom