• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 III | AITAKATTA YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soma

Serial Experiments Lain 01

uXmjC.png

That was... weird.

If it had more than a handful of good episodes I would have mentioned it but it's really been incredibly inconsistent and I don't just mean the animation. It's had some of my favourites episodes of the whole season but I can't really recommend it when it's failed to maintain any kind of standard of quality.
There've only been three episodes that I can point to for their lesser qualities, and even then the list varies from person to person. You have to see the series OT to believe it, Jex—Duckroll's convinced that this is the most divisive anime of the season, and it sure is if you ask me. I'd recommend it just to see what one thinks of it: Lupin newcomers really like it; post-Osumi fans find parts of it revolting; and, as a Masaaki Osumi fan and a general Lupin fan, I find it pretty good in spite of the inconsistencies.

I've no interest in anything this Summer, at all. For me, it's all about the immense backlog of great anime, amidst all of my other artistic pursuits (turning myself into a film buff, looking into more obscure games, being a general critic of everything because I can't seem to specialize). Fujikoike got me back into anime, thankfully, but the industry's rather dry these days.

Frosteey

Neo Member
What're your interests, relative to what's on show this season? Shows like Lupin, KotS, MGX, and Cafe have excellent starts for the most part.

The jazz thing and Kyoto Animation thing are the only ones super compelling from a glance.

Lupin might be too lewd and I don't really like how the girlfriend show looks. No interest in the Eureka Seven universe.

Space show I'm not sure if I'd like it or how it looks and also I am wary of anything having to do with bros since the tragedies of Kimi to Boku and that one other show : (

I'll probably watch the Fate show eventually some day after it's finished.

Tsuritama is potentially something I would watch if I knew at all what it was.

Other than that there isn't really anything I'd even give a shot unless everyone ever loved them a lot.

Ultimadrago

Can't wait. I'm finally going to have time to marathon Gintama (among many other things).

Same here.

maybe Gintama, maybe picking One Piece back up even (if I can get myself back up into the shounenbro status again...), Noein, some stuff for a weekly watch.

A good amount of curiosity to be cured (and some maybe best left untouched).

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Summer will definitely be the season of One Piece.

I've already delayed my Water 7 debut for too long.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
There've only been three episodes that I can point to for their lesser qualities, and even then the list varies from person to person. You have to see the series OT to believe it, Jex—Duckroll's convinced that this is the most divisive anime of the season, and it sure is if you ask me. I'd recommend it just to see what one thinks of it: Lupin newcomers really like it; post-Osumi fans find parts of it revolting; and, as a Masaaki Osumi fan and a general Lupin fan, I find it pretty good in spite of the inconsistencies.
As disappointing as the show has been (in living up to my crazy hype pre-release) it's been more hit then miss for me, I'd still probably put it as my #3 behind Tsuritama and Kids on the slope.

Really need to get caught up on MGX, Hyouka, AKB0048, Space Brothers, and E7 AO first though.

Anyway this season is pretty good I guess, but it isn't as amazing as it could have been simply because E7 AO and Lupin have failed to keep up their momentum past their amazing first two episodes!

Jex

As disappointing as the show has been (in living up to my crazy hype pre-release) it's been more hit then miss for me, I'd still probably put it as my #3 behind Tsuritama and Kids on the slope.

Really need to get caught up on MGX, Hyouka, AKB0048, Space Brothers, and E7 AO first though.

Anyway this season is pretty good I guess, but it isn't as amazing as it could have been simply because E7 AO and Lupin have failed to keep up their momentum past their amazing first two episodes!

Fate/Zero isn't anywhere on your list. Surely this is some kind of mistake.

If you like Moyashimon, how can you say nothing in the summer interests you?
I'm going to hear all you's opinions first before making the plunge into shows that might be poorly-executed. Moyashimon might be conventionally-silly in a number of ways, but it's still really good at what it does.

Lupin really could have been better. But the premise does feel like an attempt to stay as far away from the TV specials as possible, even if it means doing so in a way that prohibits the kind of subtle character development that the show's trying to do. It doesn't help that Fujiko's not that interesting standalone. Lupin, gritty and/or silly, has always been about the gang's internal relationships and screwing about, not so much about lone characters. But Fujikoike's doing a fine job of introducing the relationships in interesting ways, so I won't complain too much about that.

Dresden

I'll be checking out:

Natsuyuki Rendezvous (i like matsuo)

Moyashimon Returns

Utakoi

Bimbogami (mad cosmic hype)

Swod Art Online (will probably be another shitty wish fulfillment hack clone)

Lagrange 2 (no idea why, I didn't even finish the first season)

Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita (seiji kishi is probably the biggest warning sign but . . . no idea)

Oda Nobuna no Yabou (genderbending sengoku show from deadhouse/gokumi . . . no idea why)

Tari Tari (can't be worse than sunrise's effort this season)

---

I think there's four shows where I'm reasonably hopeful that they'll be somewhat good.

Jex

I'm going to hear all you's opinions first before making the plunge into shows that might be poorly-executed. Moyashimon might be conventionally-silly in a number of ways, but it's still really good at what it does.

I believe Femmeworth was referring to Moysahimon Season Two.

Jex

I can certainly agree that the show has been divisive, at least over which episodes people think are good, bad or average.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Fate/Zero isn't anywhere on your list. Surely this is some kind of mistake.
It's really good and probably the most consistent show this season, but I kind of always forget about it, since it's a continuation of a show from fall.:p

I guess it's all about determining the average quantity of episodes that viewers seem to think are middling, then. I'm at three, but some others might be at four or five (especially if they don't like the new Zenigata and Oscar).

Views are going to change after it concludes, too. I've seen how Anime-GAF initially treated Michiko with adulation, before opinions became more divisive.

Jex

Probably certain. I did post them after all.

It'd be nice if we got a well-animated, good fantasy adventure show though.

Considering what we know about the state of 'original anime', this would logically require a good manga or light novel source material for a studio to adapt. Do you know of such a thing?

I think there's four shows where I'm reasonably hopeful that they'll be somewhat good.

Based on your order, I assume we share hopes for the same four shows - Natsuyuki, Moyashimon, Utakoi, and Binbougami. All of which I'm excited for based on a combination of staff and material - director and subject seem ideally matched in all three cases. To this, I've also added Joshiraku - initially I wasn't sure about this, but having explored some of his past works I think Tsutomu Mizushima can handle crazy girl comedy in an entertaining way. With Masayoshi Tanaka (Ano Hana, Ano Natsu) as character designer, I'm hoping that it'll look good too.

Jex

Views are going to change after it concludes, too. I've seen how Anime-GAF initially treated Michiko with adulation, before opinions became more divisive.
I don't really know what caused that, but it's suffice to say that opinion about Michiko is hardly universal. I've still read a number of positive reviews for the show.

Still, as it seems like only a few people watched the show in it's entirety it's hard to say what the 'usual' reaction was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom