• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 III | AITAKATTA YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ultimadrago

J5O6u.jpg

On the edge of my seat.

wonzo

Banned
Pretend You're Eating at "Polar Bear's Cafe" with Anime Tie-In Menu ¹

The currently airing anime Polar Bear's Cafe is getting its shot at food tie-ins at Ikebukuro's Namco Namja Town theme park in Tokyo. It only makes sense that a show about a cafe would get a special menu! This collaboration runs June 2nd through July 29th and includes photo opp spots and raffle prizes in addition to tasty looking desserts and snacks. Each order comes with a 10 cm (almost 4 in) original coaster. Check out all the items below:

fd53ffccef06b546421361d3c3cb8b991337894435_full.jpg

Try 'em for size. They look okay to me. Though I don't know what the ninja's doing here, nor the Captain Bask look-a-like.

lol at the above screenie. Looks like someone wasn't finished animating Kanashimi no Belladonna.
I was saying that Shirow is a crappy character designer, particularly his women.

duckroll

Just Finished Fate/Zero season 1. Dam, is dramatic how things improve once they are free from the common teenagers archetypes, and I actually liked Fate/Stay Night.

How many episodes is this series supposed to last?

Fate/Zero is 25 episodes in total. S1 was 13 eps, S2 will be 12 eps. Currently we're on episode 20, and episode 21 will air this Saturday. The series will end on June 23 2012, and it will be a most glorious day.

And, coincidentally, the exact ignore list of most gaffers!

Me and Hito can't be ignored! We CRAVE attention! :D

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
That's everyone over 100 posts.

Looks like I need to put in more work in hitting the middle class. Not sure if I wanna go higher than that.

I blame college graduation and Diablo 3 for my inactivity. I'm sorry my yuri brethren.

Kyuur

So me and a friend of mine are looking for more anime to watch. We've currently watched:

- One Piece
- Samurai Champloo
- Gurren Lagann
- approx 1/4 of the Higurashi series

Gonna watch:

- Genshiken 1/2
- Haruhi 1/2
- Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
- Madoka

Any recommendations based on that stuff?

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Tsuritama 7 - An interesting but a really good episode, the eccentric nature of the character interactions throughout the episode to the dramatic confrontation towards the end was interesting from a direction stand-point, plus the whole ending was "WTF" I feel shit is going start getting real next week.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Looks like I need to put in more work in hitting the middle class. Not sure if I wanna go higher than that.

I blame college graduation and Diablo 3 for my inactivity. I'm sorry my yuri brethren.

I prepared for this by graduating well in advance and buying a PS3. No education or games to get in my way. Ho ho ho ho ho.

wonzo

Banned
Koikelupin 8

damn, these owls are really starting to creep me the hell out. i guess they have something to do with
fujiko and that dude with the long, pretentious sounding european name

Sankarea 8

Oh yeah, I completely forgot about the part when it
temporarily becomes an almost battle series.
Next few weeks should be interesting.

So me and a friend of mine are looking for more anime to watch. We've currently watched:

- One Piece
- Samurai Champloo
- Gurren Lagann

Gonna watch:

- Genshiken 1/2
- Haruhi 1/2
- Madoka

That's it? Not a lot to work with here, so it's probably good to just check out the essentials and see what you find interesting. Jex made a pretty good thread for recs.

Depending on how much you like One Piece, I could recommend more Shounen stuff (I'm gonna tell you right now to watch Toriko).

Grzi

More people should watch Kuroko no Basket.
Drop Lupin or Saint Seiya if you're watching them and watch it.

Upotte!! 7
f5I9I.jpg

So do I Ichiroku
After basically forgetting about the teacher for a couple of episodes they come back with another episode devoted primarily to him. I knew there was a reason I liked him. Nothing besides that was really outstanding about this episode. No guns, or even gun history. But I'm a sucker for winter episodes. They're usually fun and quirky, and this one was no different. The next episode looks fun.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Well since I'm finally getting around to this season, might as well post some thoughts. Going to rule of three every show this season to determine if I want to keep going or not.

sp3Mwl.jpg

Lupin the Third: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine 1-3:

This show is pretty disappointing. The characters are interesting enough, I like Fujiko for many reasons but the whole episodic nature to the show is a bit disappointing. Perhaps its more enjoyable for Lupin fans (as this is my first true experience outside of a few eps here and there) but it feels like a waste to introduce other characters who are supposed to be important and then just dumping them to the side after each episode. The stories themselves are pretty mundane and honestly not all that interesting which is pretty shocking considering the nature of the show itself. You think people who were living such high stakes lives would be in it for the thrills but it doesn't feel like it. Hopefully Mr. Wonderful Samurai Friend shows up again, hes definitely the best supporting character so far.

But the worst thing is the art. Its actually quite nice when it's not being smeared to shit with ridiculous shading (which is most of the time). There is like no rhyme or reason to shading, its like a little kid deciding to go to town with a black crayon on anything and everything just because they can. I really just don't understand why this show is doing this. I just don't get how trying to make all your characters look like Bryce Harper with massively excessive uses of eye black smeared all over their face is a good thing. Unlike Harper though this show is not the natural and it hasn't lived up to the billing.

I'm on the fence for this show on whether or not I want to continue. There are still some good things but there are some not enjoyable components to the show that have been really bugging me for the first 3 episodes.

- One Piece
- Samurai Champloo
- Gurren Lagann

Gonna watch:

- Genshiken 1/2
- Haruhi 1/2
- Madoka

One Piece can't be "watched" because it never ends!

And if you are watching something with a friend... School Days.

- One Piece
- Samurai Champloo
- Gurren Lagann

Gonna watch:

- Genshiken 1/2
- Haruhi 1/2
- Madoka

Blood-C
Masamune Shirow and bad character design... wow
Big whoop, wanna fight about it? I'll admit calling his designs bad is harsh, when there is far worse stuff out there.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Dusk Maiden of Amnesia 07
Another great episode. I am extremely pleased with how the show has pulled its act together in regards to the use of visual effects. They do so many different things that are just super out there, and so many of them hit this episode while feeling relevant to the themes at play. The number of shots playing with shadows while the story is focused on the dichotomy of Yuuko is stunning. It's not just a one off thing either, it's something that permeates the entire episode and helps to really cement the darker tone. This is a little harder to show with a simple screenshot, because the show actually does most of this in a transformative manner. In many of these shots shadows overtake or leave her face both with and without light shifts in the world.
It is a shockingly telling effect given the turn of the episode, in which Yuuko and her dark side become one.
All of that is only one single aspect of the show. Many pieces are being juggled here, and it's really impressive. The increasing conflict of Yuuko's separation from the world and her disruption to its workings in relation to the main character's life are also taken into account. There is some good blocking and separation at play, often combined with everyday scenes that Yuuko thrusts herself on. This show is doing so much right, even with the limited budget. Laughably though, it's final scene and adjusted ED fall victim to a number of continuity errors in which one two crutches often become one. It hurts what should be an otherwise extremely potent scene.

Edit: Oh, I almost forgot to mention one of the most striking and daring visual effects. The show often uses artificial blocking and adjusted screen sizes, and it is usually extremely poor in its implementation. This episode, however has a scene involving Yuuko's night of despair which features shrinking blocks. It becomes a pretty vital piece of the scene with how trapped Yuuko is in her situation. Just another thing the show eventually got right, though I suspect they will go on to misuse the effect in the future.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss

- One Piece
- Samurai Champloo
- Gurren Lagann

Gonna watch:

- Genshiken 1/2
- Haruhi 1/2
- Madoka

Don't watch Haruhi, it's really bad. Are you interested only in tv series, or are movies ok too?

If so, Sword of the Stranger and Redline both seem like something you might enjoy.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Lupin the Third: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine 1-3:
As usual you have it completely backwards. The episodic format and the storytelling for the series is fine mostly; it's the characters that suck..
the life out of the series
:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom