• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 III | AITAKATTA YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

the summer 2012 "premise most likely to disturb people who don't watch anime" award would probably go to...

AOIGA.png

Why just people who don't watch anime? It disturbs me too. I guess if it's based on a 4koma, it will probably just be jokes, though, and nothing will actually happen.

Jex

It's a pity Chitose Got You exists or else NAKAIMO ~My little sister is among them!~ might be the winner for 'Creepiest Summer Series'.

According to ANN:

According to his father's will, Syogo Mikadono must find a woman to become his partner while he's still in school. Syogo also has a little sister he's never met before who was separated at birth. Moreover, she's plotting to try and marry Syogo without ever revealing the truth.

Will Syogo ever be able to determine which girl is his little sister and safely find a woman to become his partner?

Narag

Maybe if you'd left a small gap between starting F/SN rather than going into it straight off the F/Z finale.

Who am I kidding.

That's actually been the saving grace as I had some background with Kiritsugu and Kirei so they're more than flashback character & smirking priest. I imagine this would be infuriating otherwise.

The ending of Fate/Zero is conclusive. F/Z was Kiritsugu Emiya's story first and foremost, and his story is concluded. Certain other characters continue on to F/SN, if you want to learn their fates (huhuhu~), you need to continue with the story into F/SN. This is not unreasonable for a prequel, especially one written after the original!
F/Z stuff
It strikes me as conclusive as F/Z is basically Kiritsugu's story. When Kirei lets him go, that marked the end of their involvement with one another. I mean, sure it leads into the next work but that's for the next generation or some such.
While
Kiritsugu was clearly the focal point of the series, enough time on the other characters(especially Kirei)
that leaving all of their stories unfinished makes it hard for me to call the ending conclusive.

no, because the star wars prequels are terrible
its the opposite of fate zero and stay night, and a lot of people like to pretend it doesnt exist

He wasn't talking about quality, but more of the idea the idea of someone watching the prequels and complaining that it ends with the Emperor and Vader still alive and at large.

While
Kiritsugu was clearly the focal point of the series, enough time on the other characters(especially Kirei)
that leaving all of their stories unfinished makes it hard for me to call the ending conclusive.
But yes, the ending is hardly conclusive when several important characters still have major questions left about them, but
Kerry and Waver's stories were done and so were the stories of most of the participants in the war. And I'd argue that Kirei's character arc in this show finished, and it's not a bad place to end things for him.

Uchip

Banned
While

it wasnt conclusive at all
the main "villains" are still around and they hint at many things and characters that follow, such as events that are yet to take place and name dropping things that I have no idea what they mean.
its a pity that im completely unable to watch stay night so I wont be able to continue
unless the game that people are talking about is in english and is decent

He wasn't talking about quality, but more of the idea the idea of someone watching the prequels and complaining that it ends with the Emperor and Vader still alive and at large.

the difference being that everyone has seen star wars because its completely classic

Branduil

the main "villains" are still around and they hint at many things and characters that follow, such as events that are yet to take place and name dropping things that I have no idea what they mean.
its a pity that im completely unable to watch stay night so I wont be able to continue

Not every story ends with the villains dead.

Narag

Fate/Stay Night 9
Rider vs a master and Saber vs Assassin? Fuck yeah...
is what I would say if I wasn't witness to beam spam, powering up, oppressive auras, and talktalktalk.

It's a good thing Shirou was around to carry her back to the kitchen.

sleepykyo

the difference being that everyone has seen star wars because its completely classic

Think of as being the fourth and fifth grail war. And like any war, there tends to be some lingering elements.

While

It's a prequel to an original story which was released first! How can you conclude their stories which continue in the original VN and anime? This is completely illogical.

That has nothing to do with my point. My point is that Vader and the Emperor HAVE to be alive because they appear in the Original Trilogy. My point is that when there is a prequel to an existing work which came first, you HAVE to leave some things unfinished because they are already finished in the existing work which came first! This is so blindingly obvious that it's hard to for me to figure out why people are complaining about it.

The stories of the characters who appear only in F/Z are concluded. The stories of characters who continue on to appear in F/SN continue, because they have to! F/SN already existed before F/Z!

Branduil

It's a prequel to an original story which was released first! How can you conclude their stories which continue in the original VN and anime? This is completely illogical.

That has nothing to do with my point. My point is that Vader and the Emperor HAVE to be alive because they appear in the Original Trilogy. My point is that when there is a prequel to an existing work which came first, you HAVE to leave some things unfinished because they are already finished in the existing work which came first! This is so blindingly obvious that it's hard to for me to figure out why people are complaining about it.

I imagine the main reason people are upset is not that some characters have their story concluded in a sequel, but that the sequel is nowhere near the quality of the prequel.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
AKB0048 09

And the curse of idolness claims another victim.

ibzpzhoQJyajD4.gif

And yes, I literally started my week with a helping of this show.

wonzo

Banned
Akibaranger 12 END(?)

The true evil... was under their noses the entire time??!?!?!?!!

Alas,
the discovery of the sick sad truth was far too late for the Akibarangers to save the most delusional world of them all from completely and utter cancellation. But they shall live on... in all otaku. ;_;

real pros will just wait for the inevitable sakuga MADs

It doesn't seem very logical to keep referring to the original story when claiming this one is self-contained!

Answer Yes or No:
Do you think the Star Wars Prequel Trilogy was self-contained?

I imagine the main reason people are upset is not that some characters have their story concluded in a sequel, but that the sequel is nowhere near the quality of the prequel.

Well, as hard as you might think your life is, Kiritsugu's life was harder. So deal with it, or just read the F/SN VN. It's been fan-translated in it's entirety and the voice acting which was added to the PS2 version has been patched in so it's entirely voiced except for the
sex scenes
which were deleted from the PS2 version.

Dusk Maiden of Amnesia end

At first this felt like an epilogue more than anything else, but then stuff started to happen and it was good. Really good in fact. A perfect balance between closed plot threads and
a return to the status quo.

Overall, this was a damn good show. I would even go so far as to say it's among the best adaptations that veered into original territory I have seen. The visual effects really give a whole new spin to things manga readers were already aware of, and are just plain awesome for those not familiar with the source material. At times, it might have even been too much, but that's just a minor grievance.

I don't know if I'd go so far as to say it surpasses the manga, but it definitely makes certain scenes better. The romantic tension/drama between Teichi and Yuuko really translated well to animated form. The original scenes actually flowed well with the canon material, something damn rare in situations like these. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the manga author adopted some of those scenes when it comes time to reveal certain things.

So yeah, one of the best, most consistent shows of spring outside of the poor, non-indicative first episode.

jman2050

Whether you like the FSN VN or not depends entirely on how much Nasu you can physically stomach and if you can roll with the complete silliness of what you're reading and just immerse yourself in the world being developed.

So basically, just like any other VN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom