• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 III | AITAKATTA YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.
k-on is sexualizing non-sexuality

f4J6x.gif

Nudity is a pretty dull, overly-literal way to convey a sense of vulnerability anyway.
But it is rather titillating.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
You failed to spread the virus thoroughly in your region.

I'm going to need your badge on my desk.
ibfvVQUTNjtSWv.png

bFWAml.jpg

Play it Loud!
Why didn't they just give her the STOCK grey controller if they wanted to match the hair colours. Show ruined.

MAL review.png
The ending of The lying Elves may leave me a bit unsatisfied? It was a like a kick to the balls of logic. Only part of the show I remember clearly because it was so bad.

Why? Elfen Lied is a fantastic first anime.
Tits, gore and "cat" ears.

Evilore hosting a top anime poll on GAF? This place was amazingly different five years ago.
It's not like his previous avatar was from a manga or anything.

She's actually a futa!
iznNeRw8fxs7g.png

edited for shit otaku say
Shame it's too long for the next topic title. Would make people look at us with even more distain.

trejo

AKB0048 7-9

These idols must be stopped.
My heart went out to that poor girl in the audience who sadly got infected with their heinous disease. Unbeknownst to her she is now destined to a life of peril and suffering.
Those DES soldiers are merely doing god's work.

So yeah, so far I'm pleased with how the show consistently manages to have just the right amount of utterly retarded nonsense to make the proceedings amusing and entertaining instead of downright obnoxious. Kawamori's brilliant mind at work, no doubt.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I guess so. And maybe it will be left where it is... we'll see.
It is kind of nice to see a happy ending, but as people have said, long-term, there's just no way I can imagine it working. She can't leave the school grounds, after all. Still, it IS nice to see a happy ending sometime...
It'd be nice if they just copied the Natsu no Arashi ending anyway.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
L0V2Dl.jpg

Smile Precure 01

So I tried to watch Heartcatch the other day and made it through a few episodes. An utterly terrible show, every single thing about that show is terrible.

Being the kind soul I decided to not just logically write off all of Precure as a whole and to try out a different one.

And it's a good thing I did. The first episode of Smile Precure was thoroughly enjoyable. The premise and execution were well done in this first episode and the characters, the big bad wolf (hooray furry), the main character, and the mascot were much more interesting. The other girls introduced in the first episode are intriguing, the cute sporty girl with the Osaka accent (a shame her name is not Erika) and the heart attack inducing Yayoi (Ika-channnn) were the two that stuck out the most.

Will definitely be watching this one for the long haul.

Smile Precure 02

qtR7Rl.jpg

Smug wolf gonna smug.

Love Cure Sunny, she's moe blooded. Akane is pretty spiffy herself, I love the sporty girls and she's got an Osaka accent on top of it.

I really like how the enemy adapts to the scenery and themes of the episode, it really wasn't that noticeable in the first episode but its pretty obvious this week when its a
giant volleyball

It's pretty interesting early on how the show had to build up Miyuki as weak but gaining enough power to win her first battle in the episode and then tear her back down again to where she is so weak that she needs help to win her second battle against the same enemy from last ep. Its a bit convoluted but the show pulled it off well enough by explaining how she used up all her spirit. But I really hope this isn't the route they take for introducing all the Precures, I'm assuming they will be introduced one at a time in one episode after anther till they are all together.

But the transformation scenes and the battle outfits are solid stuff too. It's very noticeable and detailed but they aren't totally over the top and ridiculous. The big attacks by the girls are hilarious, not sure if I enjoy the
flaming volleyball spike
or the
heart shaped kamehameha
more.

The opening for the show is quite catchy too. The ending is utterly horrific but that seems to be a theme with Precure shows.

Glad you're enjoying this one! Wolfrun is easily the best badguy in Smile, though Majorina does have her moments.

Judging from your impressions of the first 2 episodes, you should enjoy pretty much every episode that's out so far. Yes, Akane/Cure Sunny is awesome, but they will be using the "everyone was defeated, so now the newbie needs to step up" plot line to introduce all the precures.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I don't know if I've heard of that.
The way they dealt with the "kid in a relationship with a ghost" thing was quite satisfying and inventive. It pays off the relationship but also settles it in a way that makes sense to the long term future of both characters.

Basically, Natsu no Arashi is Shaft's secret best show.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Okay, fine, I'm convinced. I'm adding Natsu no Arashi to the backlog.
If you remotely enjoyed Dusk Maiden - especially in terms of the direction - then Natsu no Arashi is basically a guaranteed hit.

What's amazing is that it also has touches of Hidamari Sketch in it as well. Truely, Shaft's secret best show.

If you remotely enjoyed Dusk Maiden - especially in terms of the direction - then Natsu no Arashi is basically a guaranteed hit.

What's amazing is that it also has touches of Hidamari Sketch in it as well. Truely, Shaft's secret best show.

Hmmm, maybe I should add this too. Though Hidamari comparisons are a bit disconcerting.

Fate/Stay Night (VN)

Rin's voice is love.
Sakura's voice is cute. You don't hear it much in the anime but she gets all kinds of shit to say in the VN.
Shirou's voice seems less annoying than it was in the anime. It helps that I don't have to look at his ugly face all the time, since I'm playing as him.

The amount of infodumping during the prologue is intense. Rin explains everything about this world in excruciating detail to no-one in particular (in other words, you the reader) for what seems like ages. I'm sure this was useful in 2004 when no-one had seen this world before. I was hitting the Enter key a lot since she was reviewing material that I've now experienced in 2 anime series and a movie. It was a lot like cramming the night before a test.

Makoto

Haiyore! Nyaruko-san 12 (FINAL)

I asked it before and I'll ask it again,
"WHY WON'T YOU LOVE HER, MAHIRO?"
Go ahead and put me in the group of people who would like this show better if it was just the adventures of awful MC and his badgering, sex-driven, silver-haired best friend and her obsessive, yuri stalker. I never cared for H.P. Lovecraft's
racist and mediocre
works and I didn't care too much for the references either. I wanted more of Episode 7 (the beach episode) and less of, "I'm here for your Earth entertainment."

I just wanted a show about a genki, silver-haired otaku chick with a desire to get impregnated. Why Japan? Why anime?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Hmmm, maybe I should add this too. Though Hidamari comparisons are a bit disconcerting.
They crib a few of the visual non-sequitors that HidaSketch uses, so I wonder if they shared directors at some point.

Natsu no Arashi is more comedy than drama though - although it's serious moments are in srs bsns mode (mostly because of the WW2 connection).

sonicmj1

Nudity is a pretty dull, overly-literal way to convey a sense of vulnerability anyway.

Maybe Crystal Dynamics has been doing things all wrong with this Tomb Raider reboot.

If they just made Lara naked, we'd surely want to protect her. It'd even bring out that "cornered animal" theme they have going.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Fate/Stay Night (VN)

Rin's voice is love.
Sakura's voice is cute. You don't hear it much in the anime but she gets all kinds of shit to say in the VN.
Shirou's voice seems less annoying than it was in the anime. It helps that I don't have to look at his ugly face all the time, since I'm playing as him.

The amount of infodumping during the prologue is intense. Rin explains everything about this world in excruciating detail to no-one in particular (in other words, you the reader) for what seems like ages. I'm sure this was useful in 2004 when no-one had seen this world before. I was hitting the Enter key a lot since she was reviewing material that I've now experienced in 2 anime series and a movie. It was a lot like cramming the night before a test.

LOL? Meh.

trejo

Funny thing is I remember watching the first episode sometime but never anything past that for whatever reason.

Maybe Crystal Dynamics has been doing things all wrong with this Tomb Raider reboot.

If they just made Lara naked, we'd surely want to protect her. It'd even bring out that "cornered animal" theme they have going.

Is the game coming out on PC? I'm sure there'll be some mods to help with that.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Funny thing is I remember watching the first episode sometime but never anything past that for whatever reason.
It took the Dusk Maiden thing even further. Not only does the first episode start in the middle of the series, it is actually the first part of the first cour's finale. lol

It's a very neat cold open anyway... reminiscent of the whole Haruhi S1 thing.

Shock value got me through Elfen Lied. I can't say the same about DW.

I'm not sure where I'm going with this.

You're just numb to the insanity now. Just look at the reactions to DMW in the toonami thread and you'll realize a TON of people are watching it for the shock value.

Dresden

Articalys is having some trouble accessing the forum, so:

Spring 2012 Preliminary First Volume Sales

*7,510 *1 Haiyore! Nyaruko-san [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/22
*5,579 *1 Saki Achiga-hen Episode of Side-A [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/20
*4,138*1 Eureka Seven AO [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/22
*3,302 *2 Sengoku Collection [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/06
*3,192 *2 Kore wa Zombie Desu Ka? Of The Dead [DVD+BD]: 2012/05/25
*2,520 *2 Acchi Kocchi [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/06
*1,318 *1 Hiiro no Kakera [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/22
**,*** *0 Zetman [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/22

Also, from the Winter season:
*3,541 *1 Black Rock Shooter [DVDBOX+BDBOX]: 2012/06/22
Eureka Seven getting outsold by a nopan mahjong spinoff makes me sad. Damn you Ritz.

cajunator

Banned
Elfen Lied didnt shock me at all.
I think what I liked about it was the way they made you feel bad for the diclonius, even more than the normal people. Its a haunting, bizarre show but it left an imprint on me somehow.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Another reason why Tsubaki is one of the best male leads in anime in a long time:
1) Sees girlfriend naked
2) Thinks about girlfriend naked
3) Tries to rape hug girlfriend
4) Uses unintentional reverse psychology to plant his face in girlfriend's tits and then enjoys it instead of going "OH MY GOD TITS I'M DEATHLY ALLERGIC"
5) Has a dream about being smothered in clones of girlfriend made out of mochi

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Another reason why Tsubaki is one of the best male leads in anime in a long time:
1) Sees girlfriend naked
2) Thinks about girlfriend naked
3) Tries to rape hug girlfriend
4) Uses unintentional reverse psychology to plant his face in girlfriend's tits and then enjoys it instead of going "OH MY GOD TITS I'M DEATHLY ALLERGIC"
5) Has a dream about being smothered in clones of girlfriend made out of mochi

Umm. For all their talk, sucking spit is still probably the furthest that they've gotten!

Elfen Lied kind of shocked me, but it REALLY unsettled me. The atmosphere was just excellent in a lot of places. And my god, the music box that plays the main theme was a perfect touch. Such a chilling series. No anime since then has been able to replicate the feeling I got from it. I guess something like Shiki or Higurashi came the closest, but even those were only like a quarter of the way there.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It's a metaphor firehawk, jeez.

Go read Yume Tsukai, it's by the same author, has a lot of sex and yuri.

Wiki says there was an animu?

But not an accurate one! It was a lot more grounded. I mean, just look at this:

There was NOTHING that awesome in the anime :/

elfen laid has always sounded like one of those really terrible shows that people put on a pedestal because it's all "deep and edgy". sounds like something i'll have to check this series out one of these days

Elfen Laid is a hentai.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom