• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 III | AITAKATTA YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

Actually, Lucy is like that all time. She's acts like a three year old so that the audience will feel sympathetic for her plight, but this incredibly shallow attempt to garner our sympathies is quite easy to see through. It's especially creepy, and not in the right way, when that's combined with the shows obsession with seeing her naked.

It's not just her, though. The show goes to great lengths to include nude scenes of virtually every female character. Which is quite creepy because most of them are considerably underaged, as well as being victims of abuse from parental figures.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
It's a disconnect that works damn well considering the premise. On one side, you got a supernatural mass murderer, and on the other you got what is essentially a newborn.

I haven't seen the series, but this sounds like something that almost certainly had to be creepily sexualized to all hell and back.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Smile Precure 02

qtR7Rl.jpg

Smug wolf gonna smug.

Love Cure Sunny, she's moe blooded. Akane is pretty spiffy herself, I love the sporty girls and she's got an Osaka accent on top of it.

I really like how the enemy adapts to the scenery and themes of the episode, it really wasn't that noticeable in the first episode but its pretty obvious this week when its a
giant volleyball

It's pretty interesting early on how the show had to build up Miyuki as weak but gaining enough power to win her first battle in the episode and then tear her back down again to where she is so weak that she needs help to win her second battle against the same enemy from last ep. Its a bit convoluted but the show pulled it off well enough by explaining how she used up all her spirit. But I really hope this isn't the route they take for introducing all the Precures, I'm assuming they will be introduced one at a time in one episode after anther till they are all together.

But the transformation scenes and the battle outfits are solid stuff too. It's very noticeable and detailed but they aren't totally over the top and ridiculous. The big attacks by the girls are hilarious, not sure if I enjoy the
flaming volleyball spike
or the
heart shaped kamehameha
more.

The opening for the show is quite catchy too. The ending is utterly horrific but that seems to be a theme with Precure shows.

I haven't seen the series, but this sounds like something that almost certainly had to be creepily sexualized to all hell and back.

Sexualized isn't always a bad thing for the narrative. In this case, it's vital to the plot in the same way the sex scenes in something like Saya no Uta are.

yeah, but thats not how amnesia nor head injuries work
so it comes off as stupid

When the character in question has invisible hands that eviscerate people, I think it's fine. Dicloni are considered a different species from humans anyway, so who's to say that's not how amnesia works for them?

madp

The Light of El Cantare
It sounds like you haven't finished suffering yet.

*adds to list*

First thing I watch after I'm caught up with my weeklies.

Sexualized isn't always a bad thing for the narrative. In this case, it's vital to the plot in the same way the sex scenes in something like Saya no Uta are.

Should any plot involving gratuitously naked nubile adolescent girls with the minds of infants even exist? I think that there's an underlying issue here.

Uchip

Banned
When the character in question has invisible hands that eviscerate people, I think it's fine. Dicloni are considered a different species from humans anyway, so who's to say that's not how amnesia works for them?

a superior species being effected in that way makes even less sense to me

I couldn't say as I'm unfamiliar with the other VN routes where I guess this is based on the worst of the three.

The route that the anime is based off of is essentially a really long introduction to the premise and the cast. The final route, Heaven's Feel is the route that Fate/Zero derives most of its themes and characterization from, except for Saber. Coincidentally, the final route of FSN is also the route where the war goes to hell in a handbasket pretty fast and most closely matches the tone of Fate/Zero.

Jex

Again,
still conflicted. At one point, she was a good friend and even potential love interest. When the knee-jerk reaction of having his family murdered in front of his eyes is gone, it's not uncommon. Considering many serial killers go after "loved" ones, the survivors will usually have a similar response after a few years all while at the same time hating that person. It's the kind of cognitive dissonance that comes with learning someone that you loved unconditionally turned out to be a killer.

Though I'll admit, Kouta feeling that way about her after a day or so is a bit out there.

I feel like you've thought about explaining that on a level far beyond the original writer and you're filling in massive blanks. I imagine that, when he wrote that he was like "It's okay because love conquers all".

Narag

Calling it misplaced chivalry is being far too charitable, I think...

It'd go over better if his helpful-to-a-fault attitude wasn't glossed over in three boring scenes and the "I don't want others to suffer on my account" stuff didn't mostly involve Saber alone. Sexist? Yeah but it seems largely unintentional. I think they ended up talking it out and he's gotten away from it some.

The route that the anime is based off of is essentially a really long introduction to the premise and the cast. The final route, Heaven's Feel is the route that Fate/Zero derives most of its themes and characterization from, except for Saber. Coincidentally, the final route of FSN is also the route where the war goes to hell in a handbasket pretty fast and most closely matches the tone of Fate/Zero.

Sounds just like what I wanted.

What?

I think cosmic just jumped the shark.

Why? The sexualization is definitely not there to give you boners unless you're into heads flying everywhere while a naked chick walks toward you with a horrifying stoic look on her face. It's there for other reasons. For Lucy, it's to show she doesn't give a shit, for Nyuu, it's to show she's basically a child, for the other dicloni, it's to show they're kept in terrible conditions which is only exacerbating the problem, for Mayu, it's to show how shitty her life is.

Edit: Yeah, I'm using the wrong term here. They aren't sexualized, they're just naked.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Accel World 1-5

The show is pretty good. I like the battle backgrounds they've added.

I find it funny that no one gave a shit about the series until the anime came out. I think the manga was only fan translated up to the point where he meets the helper person in the cafe (which is the next episode).

Also HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG at this

J9pfl.png

Jex

You know that you should add it to your list!
What?

I think cosmic just jumped the shark.

Sometimes children just have to be sexualised, for the narrative.

What? That's beyond a dangerous argument, that's crazy. At least, in the way that Elfin Lied does it, which is straight up exploitative.

cajunator

Banned
It's a disconnect that works damn well considering the premise. On one side, you got a supernatural mass murderer, and on the other you got what is essentially a newborn.

Thats how it came across to me.

The diclopnius werent sexualized at all. They were naked but there were never any camera shots of the sort exploiting that fact. It was presented matter-of-factly. They're naked, and they are killing machines.

Branduil

Really, Elfen Lied has one thing going for it, the OP and its associated theme. I think that feature alone has misleadingly influenced scores of people into believing the show is actually classy and thoughtful.

"What do you mean the show is creepy? No show which references a famous painting and utilizes latin chanting can be creepy."

I feel like you've thought about explaining that on a level far beyond the original writer and you're filling in massive blanks. I imagine that, when he wrote that he was like "It's okay because love conquers all".

After Nononono, I do think Okamoto has some grasp on psychology. But hey, maybe you're right.

I don't even know why I'm doing this. I hate literary analysis and think 99.9% of the time it's pointless.

Jex

Accel World 1-5

I find it funny that no one gave a shit about the series until the anime came out.
I think the manga was only fan translated up to the point where he meets the helper person in the cafe (which is the next episode).

Well, it sounds like the anime is doing its job then. Advertising the manga is always helpful!

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Sometimes children just have to be sexualised, for the narrative.

What? That's beyond a dangerous argument, that's crazy!

So, if I watch Kodomo no Jikan and can retroactively find a good argument for whatever happens in the show, everything's copacetic?

Interesting strategy.

The diclopnius werent sexualized at all. They were naked but there were never any camera shots of the sort exploiting that fact. It was presented matter-of-factly. They're naked, and they are killing machines.

This sounds like an amazing tagline. For what, exactly, I don't know.

Narag

Smile Precure 02

qtR7Rl.jpg

Smug wolf gonna smug.

Love Cure Sunny, she's moe blooded. Akane is pretty spiffy herself, I love the sporty girls and she's got an Osaka accent on top of it.

I really like how the enemy adapts to the scenery and themes of the episode, it really wasn't that noticeable in the first episode but its pretty obvious this week when its a
giant volleyball

It's pretty interesting early on how the show had to build up Miyuki as weak but gaining enough power to win her first battle in the episode and then tear her back down again to where she is so weak that she needs help to win her second battle against the same enemy from last ep. Its a bit convoluted but the show pulled it off well enough by explaining how she used up all her spirit. But I really hope this isn't the route they take for introducing all the Precures, I'm assuming they will be introduced one at a time in one episode after anther till they are all together.

But the transformation scenes and the battle outfits are solid stuff too. It's very noticeable and detailed but they aren't totally over the top and ridiculous. The big attacks by the girls are hilarious, not sure if I enjoy the
flaming volleyball spike
or the
heart shaped kamehameha
more.

The opening for the show is quite catchy too. The ending is utterly horrific but that seems to be a theme with Precure shows.

That wolf dude and Cure Sunny will eventually compel me to watch this.

cajunator

Banned
So, if I watch Kodomo no Jikan and can retroactively find a good argument for whatever happens in the show, everything's copacetic?

Interesting strategy.

This sounds like an amazing tagline. For what, exactly, I don't know.

KNJ is very different from Elfen Lied. KNJ sexualizes a little girl. elfen Lied does not.

Branduil

Why? The sexualization is definitely not there to give you boners

That's exactly why it's there.

unless you're into heads flying everywhere while a naked chick walks toward you with a horrifying stoic look on her face.

That's exactly what the creators of the story are into.

It's there for other reasons. For Lucy, it's to show she doesn't give a shit, for Nyuu, it's to show she's basically a child, for the other dicloni, it's to show they're kept in terrible conditions which is only exacerbating the problem, for Mayu, it's to show how shitty her life is.

I'm fairly sure there are ways to depict that that don't involve excessive amounts of underage nudity.

Instro

Accel World 1-5

I find it funny that no one gave a shit about the series until the anime came out. I think the manga was only fan translated up to the point where he meets the helper person in the cafe (which is the next episode).

Also HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG at this

J9pfl.png

Looks like a penis under those sheets. How lewd.

cajunator

Banned
Is the nudity in Elfen Lied by necessity? Is there literally no other way for the story to be told without it?

I think it is for the sake of showing the dicloni as monsters and yet at the same time vulnerable. Also it would have been silly if they escaped from a lab wearing clothing. In the context of them being monsters borne from humankind, it did fit.

That's exactly why it's there.

That's exactly what the creators of the story are into.
I don't think that it's there only for sexualization, no. There is more to it than that.

It's pretty damn important for at least a few characters, because it's a subtle touch in shaping their personalities.
Agreed.

I think it is for the sake of showing the dicloni as monsters and yet at the same time vulnerable. Also it would have been silly if they escaped from a lab wearing clothing. In the context of them being monsters borne from humankind, it did fit.
Yeah, I think this is right.

Yeah, "vulnerable" is the word I kept trying to think of!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom