• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 III | AITAKATTA YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

wonzo

Banned
Articalys is having some trouble accessing the forum, so:
Spring 2012 Preliminary First Volume Sales

*7,510 *1 Haiyore! Nyaruko-san [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/22
*5,579 *1 Saki Achiga-hen Episode of Side-A [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/20
*4,138*1 Eureka Seven AO [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/22
*3,302 *2 Sengoku Collection [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/06
*3,192 *2 Kore wa Zombie Desu Ka? Of The Dead [DVD+BD]: 2012/05/25
*2,520 *2 Acchi Kocchi [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/06
*1,318 *1 Hiiro no Kakera [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/22
**,*** *0 Zetman [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/22

Also, from the Winter season:
*3,541 *1 Black Rock Shooter [DVDBOX+BDBOX]: 2012/06/22
Eureka Seven getting outsold by a nopan mahjong spinoff makes me sad. Damn you Ritz.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ytCEuuW2_A

Elfen Laid is a hentai.
sounds better already

Grzi

elfen lied has always sounded like one of those really terrible gorefest shows that people put on a pedestal because it's all "deep and edgy". clearly it's something i'll have to check out one of these days

Pretty much.

The only thing I could think of while watching Elfen Lied is how anime fans have failed me yet again.

More from articalys.

Code:
Blu-ray
*1, 20,754 *20,754 Kokurikozaka Kara Special Edition
*2, 17,073 *17,073 Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon vol.7 Limited Edition
*3, *9,531 **9,531 Mobile Suit Gundam Seed HD Remaster Blu-ray Box vol.2 Limited Edition
*4, *7,052 **7,052 Top wo Nerae! 2 Blu-ray Box
*5, *6,254 **6,254 Haiyore! Nyaruko-san vol.1 Limited Edition
*6, *5,727 **5,727 Kokurikozaka Kara Standard Edition
*7, *5,168 **5,168 Saki: Achiga-hen - Episode of Side-A vol.1
*8, *3,894 113,651 Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn vol.5
*9, *3,712 **3,712 Eureka Seven AO vol.1 Limited Edition
10, *2,605 **2,605 Black★Rock Shooter Blu-ray Box Limited Edition
11, *2,319 **2,319 Rinne no Lagrange vol.4 Limited Edition
12, *2,196 **2,196 Last Exile: Ginyoku no Fam vol.6
13, *1,855 **1,855 Chihayafuru vol.7

DVD
*1, 27,660 *,*27,660 Kokurikozaka Kara Standard Edition
*2, 22,948 *,*22,948 Kokurikozaka Kara Special Edition
*3, *4,581 *,**4,581 New Prince of Tennis vol.2
*4, *3,201 *,*57,487 Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn vol.5
*5, *2,661 *,**2,661 Tales of Symphonia: Sekai Tougou Hen vol.2 Limited Edition
*6, *1,318 *,**1,318 Hiiro no Kakera vol.1
*7, *1,256 *,**1,256 Haiyore! Nyaruko-san vol.1 Limited Edition
*8, *1,103 *,**1,103 Smile Precure! vol.1
*9, **,957 *,***,957 Cardfight!! Vanguard vol.11
10, **,865 1,140,657 My Neighbor Totoro
11, **,749 *,***,749 Black★Rock Shooter DVD Box Limited Edition
12, **,735 *,***,735 Major Yume no Butai Hen Collector's Box
13, **,722 *,***,722 Major Kessen! Nihon Daihyo Sen Hen Collector's Box
14, **,600 *,***,600 Nintama Rantarou 19th Series vol.2
15, **,582 *,***,582 Chihayafuru vol.7
16, **,510 *,**9,907 Uchuu Senkan Yamato 2199 vol.1
17, **,486 *,***,486 Mobile Suit Gundam AGE vol.5
18, **,426 *,***,426 Eureka Seven AO vol.1
19, **,411 *,***,411 Saki: Achiga-hen - Episode of Side-A vol.1
20, **,407 *,***,407 Doki Doki Densetsu: Mahoujin Guru Guru DVD Box
21, **,380 *,***,380 SKET Dance vol.11

Another reason why Tsubaki is one of the best male leads in anime in a long time:
1) Sees girlfriend naked
2) Thinks about girlfriend naked
3) Tries to rape hug girlfriend
4) Uses unintentional reverse psychology to plant his face in girlfriend's tits and then enjoys it instead of going "OH MY GOD TITS I'M DEATHLY ALLERGIC"
5) Has a dream about being smothered in clones of girlfriend made out of mochi
Cartman from Accel World:
1) Straddles his best friend's girlfriend
2) Looks forward to having three days alone with his 10 year-old cousin
3) Has a dream about smanging his waifu and his childhood friend at once
4) Imagines his waifu and 10 year-old cousin yuri'ing it up in the shower and plans to peep on them
5) Hates himself

Cartman is clearly the hero that animeGAF deserves, whether it wants him or not.

Dresden

4) Imagines his waifu and 10 year-old cousin yuri'ing it up in the shower and plans to peep on them
5) Hates himself

Cartman is clearly the hero that animeGAF deserves, whether it wants him or not.

He's also moe.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Elfen Lied kind of shocked me, but it REALLY unsettled me. The atmosphere was just excellent in a lot of places. And my god, the music box that plays the main theme was a perfect touch. Such a chilling series. No anime since then has been able to replicate the feeling I got from it. I guess something like Shiki or Higurashi came the closest, but even those were only like a quarter of the way there.

I honestly don't remember any of that. Only the ending haunts my memory.
Then again Happy Science would be happy with the ending.
"I killed your family" "Doesn't matter, I love you anyway" The End.

Grzi

Am I reading these charts correctly and Zetman hasn't sold a single unit?
Or it just hasn't sold enough to matter, which is equally as bad, really.

Dresden

Accel World was (obviously) popular enough to get an anime made--I just assumed that Trojita was talking about oversea fans, the sort who actually go out and translate stuff.
Am I reading these charts correctly and Zetman hasn't sold a single unit?
Or it just hasn't sold enough to matter, which is equally as bad, really.

The latter. And yeah.

5) Hates himself

You are overselling things here, the loli is only pretending to be his cousin.

duckroll

Shiawasette Naani:

RD3ba.jpg

This was Happy Science's first animated production, the story of a meeting between a cute angel girl and boy who hates school. The angel takes the boy for a ride in the clouds where she teaches him the virtues of living for others and introduces him to the concept of the inner universe, which he embraces and redoubles his efforts to be a good student and good citizen.

It's decidedly cuter and less doctrinaire than future Happy Science works, however the organization's footprint is still decidedly present.

It's still recommended for the hardcore Happy Science enthusiast. I only understood about 20% of what was being said, but Ookawa's teachings easily transcended the language barrier!

This is pretty amazing, I can't believe you actually found it. A true treasure in anime history. If only Kyoto Animation would do more cult animations, they wouldn't have to do boring stuff instead!

So apparently A-1 Pictures has 5 studios right now; the studio that handled Idolmaster is supposedly now doing Sword Art Online. (Source)

I find this suspect because they actually own an entire building, and the full 3rd floor of another HUGE building. That seems to me like they should have a lot more than 5 studio teams, but maybe the way they structure stuff is different from how other animation studios do. There could also be confusion between the French staff and the industry terms we understand usually.

Back from the premiere screening of Wolf Children Ame and Yuki. Pretty good movie, I thought it was better than Tokikake and Summer Wars which were only decent to me. The premise was more engaging, it's about a mother raising her wolf children (not a big spoil but don't look if you don't want to know anything about the story)
after the daddy wolfman died
. Then, we see them growing and there is some drama because of their nature. It has a more serious and mature tone than the previous movies but there's some funny parts too, I laughed at (again, not a big spoil)
a scene where the mother didn't know where to bring her sick children, hesitating between a doctor and a veterinarian
. I liked the characters too, they are well developed throughout the movie (we see most of them growing afterall) unlike Summer Wars' big but bland cast.

Art was simplistic but well animated as usual. There was several awful CG crowd at the beginning though. There are a few scenes with no dialogues and only directed by the music, which were pretty nice. And... I have nothing else to say. Great movie anyway.

If you want to know why Hosoda became a furry, he said he wanted to make a movie about a mother raising her children but he needed more to stand out. Then he eventually learned that wolves live in a community and that they were somehow like us (what? lolz). And this is where the whole wolfmen idea came from.

Damn, that sounds really good. I look forward to seeing it. I hope there's some announcement locally for the theatrical release here soon. It sounds like Hosoda really managed to deliver the masterpiece he wanted to make. Soon there will be no salvation for us, and only the furrysodapocalypse awaits. I am ready.

Minori Scramble

iRqtrHJy8Lhio.jpg

You know, there's not enough well drawn food in anime, they are always so lazy when drawing sandwiches and such. That's a really tasty looking BLT. Actually this whole OVA is good looking, there's also a pretty impressive 2D car chase scene which I really enjoyed. On a whole Minori Scramble is quite entertaining honestly. The premise is rather simple, a cute penguin android doing cute things and making a ruckus around town. It reminds me a lot of Ika Musume except Minori lacks the same kind of intelligence. For a relatively short affair it does a good job making you immediately familiar with the personalities in the episode as it moves briskly through the material. There's never really any down or dull moments, it's very energetic and fun throughout.

Yay, glad you finally found the time to watch this. I found it really delightful too. Unfortunately no one bought it, so Ufotable won't be doing more Anime Bunko stuff. But the staff will probably find something creative to do in the near future anyway. Kondo is a producer who's generally able to get interesting work for his employees.

Fate/Stay Night 19

Linked for spoilers.

I mean it's kinda obvious but hey, someone else might walk down this dark path after me.
About time Saber fessed up to Shirou about the last war.

Dude, what the fuck
happened to Kerry's face?
Goddamnit DEEN really can't do anything right. Lol.

Spring 2012 Preliminary First Volume Sales

*7,510 *1 Haiyore! Nyaruko-san [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/22
*5,579 *1 Saki Achiga-hen Episode of Side-A [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/20
*4,138*1 Eureka Seven AO [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/22
*3,302 *2 Sengoku Collection [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/06
*3,192 *2 Kore wa Zombie Desu Ka? Of The Dead [DVD+BD]: 2012/05/25
*2,520 *2 Acchi Kocchi [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/06
*1,318 *1 Hiiro no Kakera [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/22
**,*** *0 Zetman [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/22

Also, from the Winter season:
*3,541 *1 Black Rock Shooter [DVDBOX+BDBOX]: 2012/06/22

Eureka Seven getting outsold by a nopan mahjong spinoff makes me sad. Damn you Ritz.

That seems pretty damn bad for E7AO. 4k is pretty pathetic for the sort of big push they're giving the new series. I guess after this it's back to Star Driver and Darker than BLACK. Gotta make the stuff that sells! Even if it means hitting little girls and wearing silly masks!

You got that entirely backwards, it'd be pretty sad if Achiga-hen got outsold by that uninteresting series... :)

(Oh, and of course everyone is nopan, but unlike the original series, there are very few fanservicey nopan shots in Achiga-hen. The series has less fanservice than the Saki anime has. The same is true in the manga, too, mostly.)

Finally, it's more of a sidestory than a full spinoff -- it partially does continue the plot from the original series, and sets things up for a combination ending. Watching Achiga-hen without having watched the original wouldn't make much sense after the early episodes. And while Achiga-hen has a slow start, it's become quite a good followup. It's a great series! The original is better, but it's quite good.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Elfen Lied = Love Hina + Violence/Blood/Gore

It is kinda fun to see people get sliced up though, so it's like Mars of Destruction in that way.

Elfen Lied = Love Hina + Violence/Blood/Gore

It is kinda fun to see people get sliced up though, so it's like Mars of Destruction in that way.

Love Hina? Why Love Hina? Elfen Lied isn't much like Love Hina at all, apart from that they both are in part harem shows... but a lot of things are at least in part harem shows.

Soma

Kara No Kyoukai 01: Overlooking View

This was pretty enjoyable and if this is any indication to how the rest of the films are I'm really looking forward to watching them all.

Shiki comes across as the typical cold/brooding protagonist but there's a few hints that show that there's more to her than that. There's some subtle chemistry between her and Mikiya in a few scenes but there's really nothing that tells us what their relationship is besides friendship and an apparent partnership alongside Touko for some reason... though perhaps that's all we really need to know at this point. While the lack of character introductions made some scenes a bit confusing for me, it gave some really great looking scenery and backdrops at least.

The film itself is quite impressive looking and I appreciated that it attempted to communicate solely through visuals at times (most notably in the scene of
Shiki eating Haagen Dazs with her remaining arm
). Sometimes I just like it when a film takes its time to build and showcase the atmosphere of the world especially when it's done in a good way.

When it comes to animation, I thought it was pretty solid. Some scenes felt a little awkward and floaty but one scene I liked in particular was
Shiki sliding across the watered down rooftop while chasing after the ghosts
. Just the camera-work and the angles, in conjunction with the music made for a really enjoyable scene. The music was great and definitely very fitting. Always a fan of Kajiura's signature sound.

The plot itself was pretty interesting though a bit confusing at first. At first I thought all the films were connected through a single plotline instead of each or most of them having a self-contained plot so I guess that added to the confusion. In any case, I dug this and I'm excited to watch the rest.

And now I want some Häagen-Dazs :<

Kara No Kyoukai 01: Overlooking View

This was pretty enjoyable and if this is any indication to how the rest of the films are I'm really looking forward to watching them all.

Shiki comes across as the typical cold/brooding protagonist but there's a few hints that show that there's more to her than that. There's some subtle chemistry between her and Mikiya in a few scenes but there's really nothing that tells us what their relationship is besides friendship and an apparent partnership alongside Touko for some reason... though perhaps that's all we really need to know at this point. While the lack of character introductions made some scenes a bit confusing for me, it gave some really great looking scenery and backdrops at least.

The film itself is quite impressive looking and I appreciated that it attempted to communicate solely through visuals at times (most notably in the scene of
Shiki eating Haagen Dazs with her remaining arm
). Sometimes I just like it when a film takes its time to build and showcase the atmosphere of the world especially when it's done in a good way.

When it comes to animation, I thought it was pretty solid. Some scenes felt a little awkward and floaty but one scene I liked in particular was
Shiki sliding across the watered down rooftop while chasing after the ghosts
. Just the camera-work and the angles, in conjunction with the music made for a really enjoyable scene. The music was great and definitely very fitting. Always a fan of Kajiura's signature sound.

The plot itself was pretty interesting though a bit confusing at first. At first I thought all the films were connected through a single plotline instead of each or most of them having a self-contained plot so I guess that added to the confusion. In any case, I dug this and I'm excited to watch the rest.

And now I want some Häagen-Dazs :<

The first film is actually the worst of the entire 7 film cycle, partly because it begins in media res and so is intentionally confusing for the first-time viewers. In terms of the internal chronology, the proper order of the films is 2 -> 4 -> 3 -> 1 -> 5 -> 6 -> 7. Because the last 3 films are chronologically successive, the mixing of the order of the first 4 films is actually pretty pointless. Fortunately once you've gotten through 1 it gets a lot easier to understand, since 2 starts at the very beginning. All 7 films are connected with a single plotline and everything that happens in the films is caused by a single succession of events, which you will see more clearly later on.

This random throwaway line in F/SN suddenly makes a million times more sense after viewing KnK 1 though. I was playing F/SN and saw this line and realized immediately what it was referring to only because I had seen KnK previously and experienced Nasu's insanity and obsession with floating vs. flying in mindbreaking detail.

fsn_fvf.jpg

P.S. Haagen-Dazs sucks.

Defuser

Haiyore! Nyaruko-san 12 (FINAL)

I asked it before and I'll ask it again,
"WHY WON'T YOU LOVE HER, MAHIRO?"

I just wanted a show about a genki, silver-haired otaku chick with a desire to get impregnated. Why Japan? Why anime?
I dunno, maybe it's because she is the CRAWLING CHAOS?

Jex

Those are the sales it deserved. But those are far lower than I would have expected.

duckroll

Hyouka Ep10

I'm really quite disappointed in how this arc is going. It was so promising when it started in ep8 too. This episode was better than the previous one, but still not as good as ep8. The deductions are more or less what I expected, but I felt the narrative presentation left a lot to be desired. It's really a pity because the directing is pretty solid, but it always feels held back by the source material.

AKB0048 Ep8

I found this episode pretty hard to get through, and it took me several tries over a span of a week. It just isn't that interesting to me, and the character dynamics it focuses on are characters I don't really like to begin with. Hard to care about character drama when I don't care about the characters involved.

AKB0048 Ep9

Now this was much better. I like the series when it's just kinda silly and having fun on its own. The backgrounds here were pretty nice, and we finally have another big concert. What's creepy here is that we finally witness the origin of the heart-eye disease, and it seems confirmed that AKB0048 are spreading some sort of deadly virus to young girls around the galaxy via their concerts. No wonder DES is pissed...

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
AKB0048 Ep8

I found this episode pretty hard to get through, and it took me several tries over a span of a week. It just isn't that interesting to me, and the character dynamics it focuses on are characters I don't really like to begin with. Hard to care about character drama when I don't care about the characters involved.

What you're really saying is that you didn't want to the magic to end in 24mins so you watched it in bite sized chunks so you could savour the episode slowly.

Jex

Pretty much.

The only thing I could think of while watching Elfen Lied is how anime fans have failed me yet again.

Come on now, it's only a small proportion who favour Elfin Lied. There are much larger problems with the fandom then that!

Even though I doubted that Nyaruko would be able to break 10k, it's still less than I expected. Since that was leading in preorders, it looks like nothing is going to sell particularly well this season (aside from Fate/Zero of course).

Nyaruko 12

so... harem end? Season 2 might happen?

Anyhow, fun enough show. I enjoyed it because i got the references (and am a kamen rider fan). And the cast is cute as horrible monsters can be.

iGAdPehzLgCIg.gif

iN00XFKc5HoJJ.gif

7.5/10

Smile Precure 20

1 week without precure sucked. Glad this eps was pretty great. Invisibility without having to be butt naked? Insanity I tell you! And I love the bishoujo faces ;P

Good eps.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Smile Precure 20

An invisibility episode! Unlike a certain show about ghosts, this laid down the rules right away.
whatever got caught by the camera was invisible, but that was it. So anything else they picked up could be seen.

Lots of good humor in this episode,
the homework and the painted faces were the best gags.

I though the fight was a pretty clever way to get by without having to animate anything, the moment when Akane and Miyuki realized what not being invisible meant was priceless.

The Police man is the only reoccuring character who isn't the teacher/family member, right?

gTFpT.jpg

Nao and Yayoi had the best faces in this episode

It's getting pretty obvious now
with the clock filling up and Jester's appearance that big stuff is going to happen soon.

survivor

Banned
Nyaruko 12

iN00XFKc5HoJJ.gif

I will never be able to pet Nyaruko :(

Even though I doubted that Nyaruko would be able to break 10k, it's still less than I expected. Since that was leading in preorders, it looks like nothing is going to sell particularly well this season (aside from Fate/Zero of course).
Yeah, I'm wondering about that too. It had the most points and didn't sell a lot. I hope that doesn't mean Hyouka will sell worse than 7k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom