• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 III | AITAKATTA YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Well both ANN and, shockingly, even GAF love them some Elfin Lied.

Evilore hosting a top anime poll on GAF? This place was amazingly different five years ago.

If you like naked underaged girls, urination, incest, animal abuse, and excessive violence, sure. Which means you're right, it is suitable as a first anime for most anime fans.

Do that many fans not require any gradual coaxing into the filth whatsoever?

Uchip

Banned
If you like naked underaged girls, urination, incest, mental impairment "moe," animal abuse, and excessive violence, sure. Which means you're right, it is suitable as a first anime for most anime fans.

If I can get into anime via Now and then, Here and There, Elfen Lied is a-ok

Yep. As I've said, I don't really watch much fantasy and there hasn't been that much that has aired recently in the genre. Except Gamu of Tsronsu I suppose.
Huh, you meant Western fantasy TV shows? Those have never been either popular or common. The Game of Thrones is very much an exception, and that's on pay cable... the only ones I can remember on networks are mediocre to bad shows like Beastmaster (from the '90s) or Legend of the Seeker (mid '00s or so). Neither of those were any good, for sure. It was kind of funny how, even while sci-fi TV shows were pretty common, fantasy had such a small showing on TV, but that is how it was.

No, I meant fantasy anime, which there is a lot of. Slayers is of course an anime franchise, and one of my favorites despite some issues at times.

(Oh, yes, there is of course a fair tradition of Western fantasy movies. Those are quite a bit more common than TV series. Some of those, of course, are great; LotR is certainly one of my favorite ever movie series. But those are movies, not television. And of course, even more common than that would be my favorite fantasy medium, books...)

Eh, the way they end is fairly definitive for the most part. I suppose at some point they'd have to deal with the mechanics of their relationship, but I'm sure the author hasn't thought that far. :p
I guess so. And maybe it will be left where it is... we'll see.
It is kind of nice to see a happy ending, but as people have said, long-term, there's just no way I can imagine it working. She can't leave the school grounds, after all. Still, it IS nice to see a happy ending sometime...

Also, the manga doesn't have the benefit of Shaft, so it can't be better!
The manga doesn't have Shaft style, but it does have some quite good background art, better than a lot of the stuff you see in the show architecturally. Of course though the anime does get better looking as it goes along, so overall it's not as big of a point as it was initially. And some of that Shaft-style stuff does look pretty cool. Still though, does the anime ever look as good as this, architecturally, for example? http://www.abload.de/img/5bmaigo5d_tasogare_ot8y6vy.png

The "I'll be evil so everyone hates me" thing is a bit of a silly twist now.
Quite.
It's only silly now, after it's been used to great effect once previously. This is usually how plot twists go, the first time is awesome, then after that it's all downhill. See M. Night Shyamalan for further information.
That is true, but even so, as applied in Last Exile Fam it was a pretty bad plan which I'm sure there were alternatives to... but he never tries them, and a lot of people go along with his idiocy, or excuse it! It was just awful.

The action in that sword art PV looks great, much better than in the first one.

Too bad it really does seem to be a poor man's .hack, setting and design wise.

It's a shame .hack doesn't have better anime shows, or at least shows with some good action, there's some potential there, but the best stuff is in the games.
.hack//Quantum was great though, more people should give it a shot.
.hack does have some great animes, it's the games that aren't as good... I could care less for "good action", Sign's my favorite .hack series by far and it has very little of it, while Dusk has quite a bit more, and it's the worst... I care the most about the story and plot, and Sign does those things the best.

I will agree that Quantum was quite good, though. It was.

I'm shocked it's not just a bunch of stills or quick cuts like most of the earlier action. In like episode 3, they have Rin firing magic but they keep her hand offscreen and just toss this glow and the sound effect to signify it's even happening. Even when they do actually animate the action, it's usually poorly done without any sense of weight.

haha god no

Sounds like they just want to be faithful with how VN's do combat.

Instro

Minori Scramble

iRqtrHJy8Lhio.jpg

You know, there's not enough well drawn food in anime, they are always so lazy when drawing sandwiches and such. That's a really tasty looking BLT. Actually this whole OVA is good looking, there's also a pretty impressive 2D car chase scene which I really enjoyed. On a whole Minori Scramble is quite entertaining honestly. The premise is rather simple, a cute penguin android doing cute things and making a ruckus around town. It reminds me a lot of Ika Musume except Minori lacks the same kind of intelligence. For a relatively short affair it does a good job making you immediately familiar with the personalities in the episode as it moves briskly through the material. There's never really any down or dull moments, it's very energetic and fun throughout.

cajunator

Banned
Evilore hosting a top anime poll on GAF? This place was amazingly different five years ago.

Elfen Lied is not "filthy". Its a horror anime, and as such fits very well into that mold.

There's a considerable difference between those two series.

If by that you mean storywise, obviously, but both are good shows.

Jex

When did I say gaffers? The ratings on Toonami are pretty damn good. Above something with less mainstream appeal like Casshern.

I know nothing about Toonami's actual ratings. I assume most of the people who watch Toonami are either lapsed or current anime fans anyway, as opposed to a newer generation. Even though I'd prefer it to be a newer generation.

Jex

oh ippo was top 10 for gaf?

Good times.

I should rewatch that.

It probably still is a top 10 on the whole of GAF. There's a lot more current and lapsed anime fans on GAF then the small number of people who participate in these threads, it's just that they only come out to play for threads in the Off-Topic that don't look too terrifying.

Branduil

I'm talking about the character development and general plot more than the dialogue (though I guess that's part of the former).

You mean the character development where
bland harem dude finds out Lucy murdered his family in the most horrific manner imaginable and he just kind of blands out about it?

cajunator

Banned
NTHT - entertaining show with a Hitler lookalike and interesting story

Elfen Lied - entertaining show that makes you feel sympathetic for killing machines

Both are good.

Jex

[AKB 0048] - 8

The fact that a line from this show can be "Quickly, to battelstations!" just tells you everything you need to know about Kawamori's magic touch.

This episode was, er, very AKB0048-ish. I don't really have any way to compare it to a normal show. I suppose it was on of the shows better episodes because it had an extremely serious battle in it, which always improves my impression of an episode.

Am I the only one who finds those space combat sequences terrible? There's no rhyme or reason to the battles themselves, I have no idea which side is winning and the editing is just awful.

bland harem dude finds out Lucy murdered his family in the most horrific manner imaginable and he just kind of blands out about it?

The guy was conflicted and flat out said
he won't forgive her. This isn't an outlandish reaction for a normal human being, especially when referring to someone suffering from lacunar amnesia.

which is which? the order you have it would suggest that elfen lied is chilling social commentary. Which would greatly offend my sensibilities!

Your sensibilities are dumb.

Narag

[AKB 0048] - 8
Am I the only one who finds those space combat sequences terrible? There's no rhyme or reason to the battles themselves, I have no idea which side is winning and the editing is just awful.

I like them as I'm a sucker for that stuff but that particular battle was disorienting. I had no idea where anything was in relation to anything else.

Spoilers! Show ruined.

Sounds hilarious.

If you like naked underaged girls, urination, incest, mental impairment "moe," animal abuse, and excessive violence, sure. Which means you're right, it is suitable as a first anime for most anime fans.
... I liked it, overall. Well, the action parts. I hated the incest part.

Immersion therapy. Toss them in the deep end, and hope that they can swim. It could work, I think!

I would agree that the main character isn't one of the series' strengths (weak lead character, all too common), but fortunately Lucy's a more interesting character than he is.

Haiyore! Nyaruko-san 12

And another spring anime ends. Seeing Mahiro suffer was so satisfying,
too bad the asshole got the life that he "hates" back. I wanted him to stay lonely and live a miserable life running away from these demons. It's so frustrating that he refused to kiss Nyaruko even at the end of the finale.

This is one of those comedy anime that I enjoy for their silly premise and characters but get ruined whenever they try to add drama or have a plot.
I quite liked this series for a while, but Mahiro gets tediously annoying after a while. I haven't watched it in a while, and I'm not sure how much I care... I'll likely go back and finish it eventually, but seriously, it would be so much better with a better protagonist (as is often true with anime).

Once you
allow happy endings to happen in anime you're opening the door for all kinds of trouble. Next thing you know, people will be marrying ghosts and THEN where will we be?
That would be
nothing but trouble for Japan's declining birthrate, that's quite true!
(that was your point, right? :p)

AKB double oh fourty eight ep 9

well these past two weeks the kawamori levels have been pretty high. this ep has everything AITAKTATTA. cordinated multi group singing! Des using tanks and stuff, tanks firing. takamina being salty yet still going out to preform. this show contiunes to deliver the pain each week. cant wait for more
AKB0048: Secret second best show of the season (after Space Pirates)!

Dusk Maiden of Amnesia end

At first this felt like an epilogue more than anything else, but then stuff started to happen and it was good. Really good in fact. A perfect balance between closed plot threads and
a return to the status quo.

Overall, this was a damn good show. I would even go so far as to say it's among the best adaptations that veered into original territory I have seen. The visual effects really give a whole new spin to things manga readers were already aware of, and are just plain awesome for those not familiar with the source material. At times, it might have even been too much, but that's just a minor grievance.

I don't know if I'd go so far as to say it surpasses the manga, but it definitely makes certain scenes better. The romantic tension/drama between Teichi and Yuuko really translated well to animated form. The original scenes actually flowed well with the canon material, something damn rare in situations like these. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the manga author adopted some of those scenes when it comes time to reveal certain things.

So yeah, one of the best, most consistent shows of spring outside of the poor, non-indicative first episode.
Yeah, I don't know if I'd call it better than the manga either... probably not. At its high points though it is as good as the manga, at least, which is something. And it's definitely pretty good, anime or manga. And I agree, they did a pretty good job coming up with an original ending arc that fit in well with the story as we know it.

Mentally challenged girls falling down and peeing all over the floor is certainly horrifying, but we all know that wasn't the intent.

It's a disconnect that works damn well considering the premise. On one side, you got a supernatural mass murderer, and on the other you got what is essentially a newborn.

Branduil

The guy was conflicted and flat out said
he won't forgive her. This isn't an outlandish reaction for a normal human being, especially when referring to someone suffering from lacunar amnesia.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I seem to remember him
actually hugging her after she admitted to that. Which is simply ridiculous unless he was attempting to bearhug her to death.

Jex

I like them as I'm a sucker for that stuff but that particular battle was disorienting. I had no idea where anything was in relation to anything else.
I could give them the benefit of the doubt and say that, as these girls aren't particularly veteran soldiers combat feels extremely disorientating for them but I am sure it's a case of incompetent editing.

Branduil

I could give them the benefit of the doubt and say that, as these girls aren't particularly veteran soldiers combat feels extremely disorientating for them but I am sure it's a case of incompetent editing.

That kind of thing is hard to pull off, the only show I can think of where that worked is Gunbuster.

Jex

That only happened once. It wasn't a big deal.

Actually, Lucy is like that all time. She's acts like a three year old so that the audience will feel sympathetic for her plight, but this incredibly shallow attempt to garner our sympathies is quite easy to see through. It's especially creepy, and not in the right way, when that's combined with the shows obsession with seeing her naked.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I know nothing about Toonami's actual ratings. I assume most of the people who watch Toonami are either lapsed or current anime fans anyway, as opposed to a newer generation. Even though I'd prefer it to be a newer generation.

I would argue that the percentage of viewers in the 90s ANIME WAS DA BEST ALL ANIME SUX NOW RABBLE RABBLE demographic is likely high.

It's also likely that there are many neophyte anime watchers whose first major exposure to the medium is going to be Bleach, Deadman Wonderland, and Casshern Sins, and while a new generation of fans is needed, something like Deadman Wonderland and to a lesser extent Bleach is going to color many minds' perception of what anime should be in similar ways to the series that eventually stunted the ability of the 90s IS BEST crowd to seek new experiences.

I cut my teeth on Adult Swim action series, but most like me have abandoned the medium or cherish a select few series to the exclusion of all others.

Harem leads are awesome. :lol

Seeing Kiritsugu running from a naked Saber would be a low moment.
Kiritsugu's not one of the stupidest people ever, though. Unlike his son.

I don't even think Shirou's the problem so much it is there's a lack of gravitas in regard to the Holy Grail stuff. It's a game among high schoolers so far rather than the most important event in their lives.
It does get more important later, but the largest amount of 100% serious is in the third route, which has never been animated.

Fate/Stay Night 12

What started as a great fight between Rider and Saber turned into something of a ridiculous letdown. Shirou to the rescue again :lol
Well, those girls can't rescue themselves, right? They need to be shown their place somehow... he's clearly thinking something along those lines.

That's because F/SN is a dream. The light indicates those moments when the sleeper is facing the lamp.
If only...

Is Shirou the most punchable anime protagonist of all time?
Probably not the worst ever, but he would be on the list, yes. Very high on the list, for mainstream anime protagonists (ie, not including hentai, vast amounts of which is atrocious).

The anime must have done a good job of pruning out all the 'you're a girl so you can't fight' / 'get back in the kitchen' / 'what is this white liquid coming out of my penis' stuff. So unbearable in the vn.
No, excepting the third of those of course (for censorship reasons), that stuff's all in the anime. And it is unbearable.

It's presented as a misplaced chivalry that Saber reluctantly agrees to abide by. The kitchen stuff remains and it's pretty blatant. One episode had at least five cuts back to Saber just hanging out bored at Shirou's house.
Calling it misplaced chivalry is being far too charitable, I think... he's worse than that. Extreme stupidity based on his misguided, little-changing belief in male superiority, I guess?

It's not actually an impossible character type, some people are really stubbornly sexist, but given how strong the girls are, even a lot of committed sexists would question Shirou's dedication to his cause, I think.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I seem to remember him
actually hugging her after she admitted to that. Which is simply ridiculous unless he was attempting to bearhug her to death.

Again,
still conflicted. At one point, she was a good friend and even potential love interest. When the knee-jerk reaction of having his family murdered in front of his eyes is gone, it's not uncommon. Considering many serial killers go after "loved" ones, the survivors will usually have a similar response after a few years all while at the same time hating that person. It's the kind of cognitive dissonance that comes with learning someone that you loved unconditionally turned out to be a killer.

Though I'll admit, Kouta feeling that way about her after a day or so is a bit out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom