• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 III | AITAKATTA YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

I totally missed this ANN interview with Gen Butch back in April: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/convention/2012/sakura-con/14

Q: Urobuchi is very busy with the Madoka Magica movies and your Toei project Exiled From Paradise. Do you have any plans to go back to writing novels after these finish up?

Urobuchi:
Well, the release date for Exiled from Paradise hasn't been decided yet and I'm working on two more TV projects. One will be released in October and the other in January. (turns to Iwakami) Is it okay I said that?

Iwakami: I'm not in a position to say.

Q: You're pretty busy. Can you tell us the titles of the upcoming works?

Urobuchi:
There's currently a gag order on the projects.

He confirms that aside from the movie he's doing with Mizushima, he's definitely working on 2 upcoming TV anime. One will air in Fall, and one in Winter. It's starting to seem more likely that he might be working on Psycho-Pass. Also, both are probably Aniplex projects since Iwakami is an Aniplex producer.

Grzi

The last two Hunter X Hunter episodes had some crazy Sakuga sequences.
Loved it, this remake might turn out decent after all.

Also, finished Wandering Son, I'll write about it later, but for now I'll just say I loved it, and thank Envelope for giving me the task of watching it.

The last two Hunter X Hunter episodes had some crazy Sakuga sequences.
Loved it, this remake might turn out decent after all.

I just reexperienced it, apart from the kick the panel scene this one is definitely the best moment.
tumblr_m63ymfLsGy1rz3f2fo1_500.gif

Jex

AKB0048 Ep8

I found this episode pretty hard to get through, and it took me several tries over a span of a week. It just isn't that interesting to me, and the character dynamics it focuses on are characters I don't really like to begin with. Hard to care about character drama when I don't care about the characters involved.
Funnily enough, that episode but me to sleep on multiple occasions. It was quite a struggle to get through.

Jex

All I remember from elfen lied was that it was pretty much the tale of mewtwo if moe.

And some chick orgasmed on the leg of some dude.

Now now, that was mainly a manga thing. There's no need to imply such things happened in the anime. You're just reading into it.

Makoto

Ergo Proxy 23 (FINAL)

Really liked it. This was certainly a show where the journey is miles better than the destination. As a show about self-discovery, I found it engrossing,
especially once Re-l, Vincent and Pino set off on their own. The dynamic between them was fascinating to watch. Vincent and Gino for instance, despite being the non-humans of the group are undeniably very human. Vincent is constantly questioning his identity. Pino rarely restrains herself in her abundance of emotion and energy. Re-l on the other hand, the clear cut human of the group, is mostly reserved and often very cold.
Indeed, the philosophical and psychological elements in the second half's narrative were captivating. The soundtrack was pretty awesome. It reminded me of EVE Online's soundtrack with a tiny bit of Jack Wall's Mass Effect score. Ergo Proxy's score made a worthwhile effort to really immerse me and it was largely successful.

Granted, Ergo Porxy didn't come without faults. There were one too many cases of characters being off-model, Re-l in particular. I also feel it jumps the gate a bit too fast in the first half in terms of philosophy. There's a sizable amount of narrative that could have been addressed in exchange for the lengthy philosophical talks.

At the end of the day, the good outweighed the not so and I'm glad I watched it. A very good series.

Jex

The diclopnius werent sexualized at all. They were naked but there were never any camera shots of the sort exploiting that fact. It was presented matter-of-factly. They're naked, and they are killing machines.

I feel that's a rather naive view, unfortunately.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'm going to start watching it now...
Awesome!

Are there any other slice of life similar to Kimi to boku?
All boys? There's Here is Greenwood, but I haven't seen it. But like I said in my impressions, all boys slice of life shows seem to be extremely rare.

But, I think K-On!! was a stronger show (and hey, Yoshida wrote that too!)... and so was Tamayura (hey, another Yoshida show!). I'd also say Aria, but I guess that's just cheating.

For me, if Kimi to Boku leaned harder into the transience of youth theme - which it was what it was trying to do with all the unrequited romances - it'd have worked better.

Jex

Childhood friend is best girl. She's the only one who isn't fucking crazy.

Dresden: She's an elementary school student, iirc. Cartman is a fucking pedophile.

And this is a show that people are discussing in a positive light? For shame, AnimeGAF. No wonder people think we are weird.

Ergo Proxy 23 (FINAL)

At the end of the day, the good outweighed the not so and I'm glad I watched it. A very good series.

How did you feel about that
weird fucking gameshow
episode? Did I miss the part where they actually said how the hell he got there? I just skipped through that ep, so it may have been somewhere in there. I couldn't be bothered to find out. Same thing with the
funland or whatever
episode with Pino. Just completely clashed with the rest of the show.

Jex

Another reason why Tsubaki is one of the best male leads in anime in a long time:
1) Sees girlfriend naked
2) Thinks about girlfriend naked
3) Tries to rape hug girlfriend
4) Uses unintentional reverse psychology to plant his face in girlfriend's tits and then enjoys it instead of going "OH MY GOD TITS I'M DEATHLY ALLERGIC"
5) Has a dream about being smothered in clones of girlfriend made out of mochi

Perhaps the most realistic part of Mysterious Girlfriend X is it acknowledges that teenagers have sex drives and it doesn't tackle that concept in the same childish, slapstick way that most other anime cover the same topic. It feels very naturalistic, despite the 'gimmick' at the heart of the show.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Perhaps the most realistic part of Mysterious Girlfriend X is it acknowledges that teenagers have sex drives and it doesn't tackle that concept in the same childish, slapstick way that most other anime cover the same topic. It feels very naturalistic, despite the 'gimmick' at the heart of the show.
Except they never kiss apparently.

I'm just saying, if any of these shows were realistic, holding hands wouldn't be the most earth-shattering event in the universe.

Jex

From the amount of backlash the show gets, I always got the impression that it was fairly popular.

Well I believe that when it came out it was pretty popular purely on it's shock value but I don't think it's had any kind of lasting impact in the fan consciousness, if there is such a thing. I could easily be wrong though.

Ultimadrago

I'm just saying, if any of these shows were realistic, holding hands wouldn't be the most earth-shattering event in the universe.

You undermine the terrifying reign of Queen Urabe.

Even worse, people like her must exist somewhere in our vast 3D realm!

Scissor warriors.

Jex

They really weren't, though. All the nudity had a thematic purpose.
You don't need to show nudity constantly to the audience for it to have a thematic purpose. You don't need to see someone get raped, nor do you need to see every graphic detail of someone's execution. These things can just as easily be implied in some other fashion, which is as effective as the display but without exploitative elements.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
You undermine the terrifying reign of Queen Urabe.

Even worse, more of her must exist somewhere in our realm!
I'm just saying, Japan's youth culture is probably more like Skins than some ultra chaste pseudo reality where people are afraid of sex. lol

I will probably get around to watch it while I continue my very slow Shaft marathon.
You'll understand why it's the secret best Shaft show then!

Saikano is pretty realistic!
It certainly sounds like it is!

1stStrike

Banned
This thread is going at a good rate. We may get ourselves another OT before the Summer OT comes out.

Post more provocative images, guys.

You don't need to show nudity constantly to the audience for it to have a thematic purpose. You don't need to see someone get raped, nor do you need to see every graphic detail of someone's execution. These things can just as easily be implied in some other fashion, which is as effective as the display but without exploitative elements.

Some people don't think discretion shots are as effective. That isn't to say showing everything in great detail is always the way to go, but in this case it drives the point home.

And really, it could have been A LOT worse. You never see flat out sex which is something they would have gotten away with (no genitalia of course) because of both the magazine the manga was serialized in and the time the anime aired. Then there's the gore, which was only just body parts flying around instead of innards leaking out of the body parts or even shown (with one exception).

Jex

I'm just saying, Japan's youth culture is probably more like Skins than some ultra chaste pseudo reality where people are afraid of sex. lol

Well:
According to surveys, there seems to be less sex going on in Japan than in any other big country. A Health Ministry study in 2006 reported that as many as one-third of all married couples under the age of 50 had sex, or even kissed or held hands, less than once a month. Indeed, kissing itself was long considered unhygienic....

...It is not illegal to pay for sex; a 1997 study showed that more than half of all men over 25 had done just that (and that for many of them it had been their first sexual experience). Though statutes prohibit everything from pimping to providing the venue, prostitution itself carries no penalty
Source: http://www.economist.com/node/18771436

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom