• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 III | AITAKATTA YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

What about

87xAP.png

Automatically invalid because of Justin.

Jex

Yami to Boushi to Hon no Tabibito 12

What the fuck? What is going on? Why... Er, what?

WHAT?! NO!

So they're just going to be immortal together? I... He was never your drinking buddy! Are you making fun of me? And the orc and Mariel are actually marrying? AAAAAAH

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA OH MY GOD WHAAAAAAAAAAAT

T5lIw.gif

I've never been trolled so hard before in my life.
I bet you weren't expecting that, were you?

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Yami to Boushi to Hon no Tabibito 13 -END-

Why did she become stupid all of a sudden? Man... And what the hell is Hatsuki talking about?

Was that... A
reset
followed by a
memory reset
?

Why did Eve leave Lilith in the first place? How did she grow up with Hatsuki? What the hell is with the fox girl? Who's Yami? What's with that hat? Who's the kid the fox girl fucks in the end? Why is Hatsuki having Hatsumi as her kid?
... Why?

Why?

vXAQ1.gif

If anyone asks me how Yami goes in the future, I'll tell them, "It goes like this:
once upon a time, the end."

Amazing.

Jex

I was wrong. Jex and Mad Pierrot were right. I can't believe in this show anymore.
[...]
It's doesn't always feel right to take a cynical stance and condemn a show after a certain point but more often than not its the I tend to find that's it's usually the correct stance.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Yami to Boushi to Hon no Tabibito 13

Why did she become stupid all of a sudden? Man... And what the hell is Hatsuki talking about?

Was that... A
reset
followed by a
memory reset
?

Why did Eve leave Lilith in the first place? How did she grow up with Hatsuki? What the hell is with the fox girl? Who's Yami? What's with that hat? Who's the kid the fox girl fucks in the end? Why is Hatsuki having Hatsumi as her kid?
... Why?

Why?

vXAQ1.gif

If anyone asks me how Yami goes in the future, I'll tell them, "It goes like this:

Amazing.

Welcome to the fold, brother.

and,

Congratulations!

madp

The Light of El Cantare
nono, that's episode 13, not 12. 12 is ogre marriage.

Actually, that particular revelation is first mentioned in 12, it just plays a larger role in 13.

Can't go wrong with ANN.

My experience with them is about 50/50 at present.

Was that... A
reset
followed by a
memory reset
?

... Why?

Why?

vXAQ1.gif

Amazing.

CONGRATULATIONS! You are now truly one of us.

I'm laughing more than I should at the Menma gif. You should just loop Last Train Home on youtube a few times while meditating on Yami. It's pretty appropriate.

survivor

Banned
Moyashimon 7

This is such a crazy school festival episode, I love it. The random rules they came up with just made this festival so interesting and memorable. The assault squad sure knows how to coordinate attacks. I also noticed that Kei has been surprisingly absent. Dunno what's his deal but I hope it's heading to where I'm thinking it will.

Also they better not touch my waifu Hasegawa cause if they do this series will be dropped faster than when I dropped Bleach

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Actually, that particular revelation is first mentioned in 12, it just plays a larger role in 13.

My experience with them is about 50/50 at present.

CONGRATULATIONS! You are now truly one of us.

I'm laughing more than I should at the Menma gif. You should just loop Last Train Home on youtube a few times while meditating on Yami. It's pretty appropriate.

I was still at the denial stage about that moment in episode 12, it's really episode 13 where it sinks in.

Naruto Shippuden 112 - 117 (dub)
tumblr_m0o1lbsaQi1r2y0bko1_500.gif

Sasuke time has been great.
Lord Orochimaru's demise by being subsumed by Sasuke's will was intense and epic
. Suigetsu is utterly hilarious with Sasuke and quite a chatterbox. Though who knew Sasuke had a playful side.

Ultimadrago

Moyahsimon 3

Skipping episode 2 happened to make this experience better, but not by much.

Things seem to be rolling a bit, but overall it's still flat. There's not a notable interesting character or event in sight.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
It's doesn't always feel right to take a cynical stance and condemn a show after a certain point but more often than not its the I tend to find that's it's usually the correct stance.

And I'm not particularly happy about being vindicated about Sankarea, either. I wouldn't be nearly as negative toward it as I am if it hadn't had such a strong start, so I find it incredibly regretful that my worst fears for the show are coming to pass. It deserved much better than it got.

survivor

Banned
Moyahsimon 3

Skipping episode 2 happened to make this experience better, but not by much.

Things seem to be rolling a bit, but overall it's still flat. There's not a notable interesting character or event in sight.

But Hasegawa, Misato, Kawahama, and Oikawa are all cool

Lagrange's series composition is handled by Shôtarô Suga. You people should have known what you were getting into.

I don't think writers are as singularly important in the anime industry as you make them out to be. Sometimes you get original anime which clearly stem from one director/writer/mastermind, such as Ikuhara's Mawaru Penguindrum, but most of the time it's a group effort where the director, etc. have a great deal of say in what the scriptwriter puts out. In Lagrange's case, the original creator is credited as "Production I.G.", which in combination with its scatter-shot nature leads me to believe that it was even more of a committee production than usual.

It's even less important for adaptations, of course. The series composition of Space Brothers, which has gotten some praise for its writing around here, is being done by Makoto Uezu, who previously played the same role in such shows as School Days and Seikon no Qwaser.

Tsuritama 07:

How I perceive an episode of Tsuritama depends largely on my mood while watching it, but this felt like it may have been the best-looking episode yet. There were more complex background compositions that weren't dominated by the sky or the sea, there were generally a lot of characters interacting at once, and there were some really fantastic uses of color like the yellow-green reflection of the sunset on the sea and all of the neon lights in Akira's base.

I find it very curious that you should say such, as I found the episode to be visually lacking at spots, such as some group shots where the lack of detail became problematic.

eb0mj.jpg

They didn't even bother to animate lip flaps in this scene.

Of course these are small nitpicks, as the show in general still looks quite good, but it was made more noticeable to me as it came off the back of episode 6, the best looking episode in the show thanks to its overabundance of animation, with lots of fluid character movements and background motion.

I have to mention that there was one scene that bothered me in its execution, though. The near-collision between the two ships toward the end of the episode felt much too sudden as there was no transitional scene between Ayumi breaking up the fight between Natsuki and his father and the ship having to evade. I understand that there wouldn't be a lot of time to react between sighting a fast-moving ship and scrambling to avoid it, but the mood shift from drama to action was too rapid. A few seconds of awkward silence before Misaki pointed out the ship probably could have alleviated this.

I felt the same way. As I said there, it goes back to a general quirk of Nakamura's direction that at times makes it difficult to connect with and follow the narrative.

I'm hoping that conflict doesn't come to dominate the second half of the show, but this episode pretty easily balanced the serious elements with the usual SoL/fishing so I have no reason to be concerned.

I have a feeling that conflict will play a fairly large role in the second half of the show. The first half was a steady process of integration: Yuki, Haru, Natsuki, and Akira have gradually learned to overcome their personal flaws and establish bonds of friendship with each other. This culminated in the tuna fishing trip in episode 6, with Akira being fully accepted as one of the bros when the other congratulated him on his assistance at the wheel. Immediately after that came the memory loss incident, and the immediate fallout of that separated Haru from the others due to his fear of his own actions. My prediction is that the second half of the show will be a steady process of disintegration, as the friendship of the four comes under increasing stress and the "Bermuda Syndrome" issue reaches its climax. Yuki will likely be the one who has to stand up and fight for his friends, Enoshima, and, as his opening monologue said, the world. Afterwards, the boys' friendship will end up being stronger than ever.

Is there a proper alternative to ANN? It's been my only source for awhile and lot of people seem to speak ill of it.

ANN is a great source of staff information and a decent source of news (aside from their fascination with dumb Biglobe polls), but their review staff is not reliable at all. Unfortunately, there's not really any other anime review website I could heartily endorse either. If you're looking for opinions on a particular show, you're better off asking in here, as there are several intelligent people who can guide you well. Just as long as you can ignore the trolling.

Sengoku Paradise Kiwami 01-07
irwDT.gif

So another Sengoku era anime. This time it has mostly pretty boys, there was one busty female, and its 3 minute long episodes. I pretty much enjoyed each episode, they were short, mostly funny, and decently informative as well. Of course, it could just be the pretty boys in the Sengoku period again that makes me like this.

Saint Seiya Omega 9
tumblr_m4ogagJ8WF1qfm2vzo1_500.png

It became Naruto for a moment (substitution jutsu). I liked it. Haruto for my third favorite Saint (Kouga, Souma, Haruto, Ryuuhou).
Ninja saint is actually pretty cool and I like it. He has cool attacks and so many of them and even his transformation sequence was fun. This series has been pretty grim so far everything bad keeps happening and it keeps taking it to the next level.

Can't wait for next weeks.

Mature

ANN is a great source of staff information and a decent source of news (aside from their fascination with dumb Biglobe polls), but their review staff is not reliable at all. Unfortunately, there's not really any other anime review website I could heartily endorse either. If you're looking for opinions on a particular show, you're better off asking in here, as there are several intelligent people who can guide you well. Just as long as you can ignore the trolling.
Yeah, I'm definitely not looking at reviews or anything op-ed on ANN, just their general black and white news and occasionally the answerman column.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I find it very curious that you should say such, as I found the episode to be visually lacking at spots, such as some group shots where the lack of detail became problematic.

Of course these are small nitpicks, as the show in general still looks quite good, but it was made more noticeable to me as it came off the back of episode 6, the best looking episode in the show thanks to its overabundance of animation, with lots of fluid character movements and background motion.

I definitely didn't mean to imply that this episode of Tsuritama was the best-animated episode, as episode six is still easily the best in that regard. I felt that this episode had great background detail and strong use of color, although I'll also cede that the part of the episode from
the boat trip
onward even though I understand that it's not really something that can be helped considering that
there are only so many way to draw a boat in the water

I felt the same way. As I said there, it goes back to a general quirk of Nakamura's direction that at times makes it difficult to connect with and follow the narrative.

Fortunately I haven't noticed this type of thing happening too much in Tsuritama, so it's easily forgivable. Among the Nakamura works that I've seen, I've found Tsuritama to be the easiest to follow by far.

I have a feeling that conflict will play a fairly large role in the second half of the show. The first half was a steady process of integration: Yuki, Haru, Natsuki, and Akira have gradually learned to overcome their personal flaws and establish bonds of friendship with each other. This culminated in the tuna fishing trip in episode 6, with Akira being fully accepted as one of the bros when the other congratulated him on his assistance at the wheel. Immediately after that came the memory loss incident, and the immediate fallout of that separated Haru from the others due to his fear of his own actions. My prediction is that the second half of the show will be a steady process of disintegration, as the friendship of the four comes under increasing stress and the "Bermuda Syndrome" issue reaches its climax. Yuki will likely be the one who has to stand up and fight for his friends, Enoshima, and, as his opening monologue said, the world. Afterwards, the boys' friendship will end up being stronger than ever.

I'm not the kind of person that requires a work to have a grand narrative or emotional climax if it doesn't make me feel particularly invested in the plot or the characters from the start, though in the particular instance of Tsuritama, this is almost certainly the fault of my general sense of detachment from the series as a whole rather than any actual deficiency in characterization or plot. I'm just now getting over these feelings of detachment thanks to a strong past couple of episodes, so my need for
character conflict
may and will likely evolve before the show is over. I'm just now deciding for myself what I want Tsuritama to be, as I previously passively accepted it as a slice-of-life series and thus regarded all
conflict
as unnecessary.

Your prediction for the direction of the show is logical, and I wouldn't mind that set of events at all were it to occur. At this moment, I'm having slight difficulty understanding
just what is causing so much strain in the relationship between Natsuki and his father
, whereas if
the character drama was largely between the four friends
I would be less wary of its overall impact on the plot going forward.

You probably don't want to hear this, but that ain't milk in the taiyaki.

survivor

Banned
Moyashimon 8

Hooray for pure love

Satisfying conclusion to the festival arc.
Never expected the boss of the attack squad to be a robot. they definitely lucked out there. Also looks like Kei will be the focus of the next episode.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Mysterious Girlfriend X 08

uLpnF.png

Dem sweater boobs. Tsubaki
lost himself for a moment there, but I'm glad he came to his senses before he did something he'd truly regret. Also glad the incident was resolved in this episode, as I was fearing they were going to extend it for the next two episodes with some awkward avoiding before they came to a resolution in ep 11 or 12.

Hopefully there will more Oka in the next episode.

Yeah, ANN is a good resource and a decent news site, but the editorial content on the site...leaves a lot to be desired. I do think it's a shame that there really isn't a good site for anime reviews or criticism, but I guess it's easier to get a bunch of idiots to write form reviews.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I thought the shows main problem was it's lack clear focus. No-one knew who it was for and subsequently no-one bought it. Why they're pouring more money into this is beyond me.

Strangely enough, if they did go in up to their armpits in serious business stuff at the very least the show would have a clear focus and tone (even if there serious stuff was some of the worst parts in first season). Somehow I don't think they're going to do that though.
I am hopeful about Legrange being more serious with how the first season ended. The implications for where the show is headed certainly leaves less room for entire episodes of antics.

/XX/

The orange thing was nice trolling from the mangaka. But I'm not a person who needs deep explenation for all these things, sometimes is a sky just blue and not more.
Same here, I don't find it necessary but seeing all those theories people come up with (those illusions and possibilities they want to see) is also part of the fun for me. That collaborative effort on a friendly atmosphere, a thing of the moment to share with others... at the end it doesn't matter, in my opinion, if the theories were right as long as those said moments that spawned them were enjoyable.

Many so-called fan specific websites or forums work on this principle; as I see it, those aren't places for trying to "rediscover" (reinventing the wheel) something it wasn't needed to be discovered, but to give your opinion on things so people can understand you better and know how your mind works, a place where appear close to each other but using a topic in common as a base or starting point. A segregation to feel comfortable searching those people with interests akin to yours.

I don't think writers are as singularly important in the anime industry as you make them out to be. Sometimes you get original anime which clearly stem from one director/writer/mastermind, such as Ikuhara's Mawaru Penguindrum, but most of the time it's a group effort where the director, etc. have a great deal of say in what the scriptwriter puts out. In Lagrange's case, the original creator is credited as "Production I.G.", which in combination with its scatter-shot nature leads me to believe that it was even more of a committee production than usual.
Yeah, I know. I'm just venting because his episodes of Eureka Seven, outside of one that I actually enjoyed, haven't been very good.
Added all of those to my list. Thanks a lot!
JackNicholsonYes.gif

wonzo

Banned
Please! Stop it already, M14! You are making poor Galil even more confused, look at this:

Galil needs special attention and understanding, you know?

「Galilbro」のイラスト [pixiv]
http://www.pixiv.net/member.php?id=4425826
now if only the show was as charming as this is
needs more yuri

Why?
it's a masterpiece

Rosario Vampire 14
Nice to see it's exactly as stupid as it was first season. More fanservice than you can shake a stick at, insert songs going on whenever they feel like it. And, I guess we now have lesbian schoolgirls and a little sister to do something. At this point, it's gonna be a running bet to see how long into this season I'll last before I drop punt it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom