• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 III | AITAKATTA YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kuroko's Basketball 9
tumblr_m50b3wvV2K1rundapo1_500.jpg

The action between Kuroko and Kagami was quite intense. They were huffing and puffing so much. They were so rough that the sweat formed pools. I love this action and want so much more.

Kazzy

K-ON! 4

Whoa, this one had actual music playing and everything. Poor Mio, undermined at every turn. And I guess Mugi is a glorified plot device at this point? "Oh you have a beach house", "My family own this store", okay. Anyway, a beach episode that didn't feel shameless, who'd have thought it? It now seems apparent that Mio being continually tortured has become a prevailing theme.

Things have been so laidback so far that the introduction of an overarching storyline almost went unnoticed. Since when did Yui get halfway competent? Its been what, three months since the beginning of the series? Between this and the test she is becoming something of an idiot savant. The animation in the firework scene was particuarly lovely, it was suprisngly emotional too.

They have it figured.

K-ON! 5

...and so does she!

The teacher seemed far too conspicuous not to have a dark-past, and here it is! I'm liking Sawako's apparent delusions, her scenes were probably the best part of the episode for me. The running sequence being the highlight. Then again I always warm to characters that acts as the voice of the audience, and her calling out their slacking certainly fit that. And with that Yui can now sing! So, Yui is definitely a savant then...and an idiot!

And am I right in thinking that Mugi just likes seeing people bonding? Or am I simply overthinking it? At least this can count as some degree of character development for her.

This series is simultaneously going faster/slower than I was anticipating, sure its practically built around those slow moments in the music room, but I thought it would be bookended by the school festival, and that looks as though it could be as early as the next episode!

I've been watching exclusively on hulu so this is from where the arc starts to where I am currently at.

One Piece 391-405

The celestials and the slave trade are introduced in this arc. The secret history of the world is hinted at, and rightfully pushed away. It's sometimes hard to believe that One Piece is so huge. Someone is getting sold into slavery and the rescue seems like the standard shonen fair. Bad guys are punched, people cheer, and a bunch of new pirates are introduced. Except,
it all goes to hell! The gang is suddenly outclassed and is getting their asses handed to them.
This seems to be the turning point of the anime. Up until this point the navy was like "Oh it's those guys who all look alike and we can smack them down fairly easily lets run away and all have fun!" Has changed to, "It's those guys who have killer powers and are going to relentlessly hunt us down until we are but dust in the wind. Even then they will collect the dust, melt it into glass, and toss it into the bottom of the sea."

So the
crew gets scattered to the 4 corners of the earth and everyone has their own little adventures.
I had heard there was a time skip in this anime so I went to check the manga to see if I could skip any filler. Turns out I was wrong.

One Piece 408-421

So there's another arc and it's Luffy on an island full of
warrior women.
It isn't filler so I trudge though it. This is the first time they really bring up the execution of Ace and the war they expect. For some reason I never gave this much though. When the arc ends I figured there would be no war so everyone was freaking out for nothing.

My friend tells me that the crew's side stories were not in the manga, some of them are really funny, and that's something I've always enjoyed with One Piece.

One Piece 422-425 and 430-456
I like Hancock and Luffy. They are cute together. The prison arc was what I expected to lead into the time skip. It made perfect sense. You take the main character, put him in the world's worst prison, and you lose a few years. Maybe he gets busted out by his powered up crew later. Damn was I wrong.

This arc stands out for me because of the okama way theme. The inclusion of Bon Clay and Ivanko were just great. It made being gay just seem like being really happy. There was never anything lecherous about it. The ending of his arc is heart breaking as I come to realize that
there might be a pirate war and that luffy might lose Ace. The use of the life paper was a better indicator of how dire Ace's situation was than showing the guy beat up.

There was some filler for the movie in there, but the movies are not on hulu so I'm skipping them.

One Piece 457-487 (where I'm currently at)

I wouldn't be surprised to find out that One Piece makes an ass ton of money off of toys. It seems like they have people devoted to just coming up with creative characters that get only a little screen time. They also do a good job of having how they dress and present themselves tell a story about who they are.
The great pirate war starts and things seem to be going good for the pirates. Megatons are dropped about who luffy and ace are, but people trudge on. Then Whitebeard becomes a human domino, Ace douses his organs with magma, and Oars takes a dirt nap on a fence. It's madness. The death of Ace was almost senseless, but unless he was joining the straw hat crew, then he didn't really need to be around after his rescue anyway.
The one thing that bothers me is how short Jumbei's legs must be. Half the time he is running, but it seems like he covers no ground at all because when it serves the story, everyone else catches up with him.

I've been watching exclusively on hulu so this is from where the arc starts to where I am currently at.

One Piece 391-405
One Piece 457-487 (where I'm currently at).
The great pirate war starts and things seem to be going good for the pirates. Megatons are dropped about who luffy and ace are, but people trudge on. Then Whitebeard becomes a human domino, Ace douses his organs with magma, and Oars takes a dirt nap on a fence. It's madness. The death of Ace was almost senseless, but unless he was joining the straw hat crew, then he didn't really need to be around after his rescue anyway.
The one thing that bothers me is how short Jumbei's legs must be. Half the time he is running, but it seems like he covers no ground at all because when it serves the story, everyone else catches up with him.

You were anticipating a time skip that much? Anyway I kind of disagree
Ace could have easily remained around, I thought he would have fit in to the strawhats well, he would have just left and followed his brother on adventures around the world having fun and what not, it would have been epic. I still get so emotional from that scene, my Ace!

I loved impel down-marineford-goa.

Ace could have easily remained around, I thought he would have fit in to the strawhats well, he would have just left and followed his brother on adventures around the world having fun and what not, it would have been epic. I still get so emotional from that scene, my Ace!

The crew gets
scattered like that, and it seems like the perfect time. It took them a while to reach that far, for them to get back there on their own seems like it would be a good place for a time skip.
Besides, when Luffy hears about his brother
in jail
he's like 'Well Ace is having his own adventures' and brushes it off. The two brothers were never meant to follow the same path for too long.

survivor

Banned

He is too broken to join the strawhats plus it wouldn't make sense story wise.

qcf x2

After finishing Code Geass, I'm horrifyingly near the end of my backlog. Considering what the summer season looks like, it may be break time once Fate s2 finishes. :(

After finishing Code Geass, I'm horrifyingly near the end of my backlog. Considering what the summer season looks like, it may be break time once Fate s2 finishes. :(

I don't see how anyone could reach the end of their backlog unless they've had way too much free time or have very restricted tastes.

survivor

Banned
I like Hancock and Luffy. They are cute together. The prison arc was what I expected to lead into the time skip. It made perfect sense. You take the main character, put him in the world's worst prison, and you lose a few years. Maybe he gets busted out by his powered up crew later. Damn was I wrong.

This arc stands out for me because of the okama way theme. The inclusion of Bon Clay and Ivanko were just great. It made being gay just seem like being really happy. There was never anything lecherous about it. The ending of his arc is heart breaking as I come to realize that
there might be a pirate war and that luffy might lose Ace. The use of the life paper was a better indicator of how dire Ace's situation was than showing the guy beat up.

There was some filler for the movie in there, but the movies are not on hulu so I'm skipping them.
I really love this arc cause it's one of the few ones where it's only focused on Luffy and plus Buggy and Bon Clay come back, two of the greatest characters in One Piece

He'd fit in with the powerful trio, and personality wise as well, one of the best aspects in the Alabasta times.
Even now, I still think Ace overshadows everyone in the group, plus remember he was already in the New World so it kinda ruins the purpose of adventuring.

Geneijin

The fact that the guy usually doesn't make a choice in most harem shows is a pretty good reason to me to think that any decision he does make don't matter. It's always the girls doing whatever they want anyway. Having a lead that actually makes a choice doesn't change that.
The decision matters. It's the difference between Princess Lover and Mashiro. Not all harems are the same nor equivalent.

"Choosing a girl" isn't the same as being the show's "Designated girl", right? It's clear pretty much straight off in Love Hina that Naru's the main girl but the joy is in the journey. The long, convoluted journey.
You get it.

Key animes and games aren't really harems because of the whole route deal in that the player can actually choose who they want to be with and the anime has arcs. Sekirei is a perfect example of the male choosing fairly early on and the women still going after him.
Key animes are definitely harems. Let's not be disingenuous when we're saying Bakemonogatari is one.

Edit: The whole route thing has little meaning in their respective adaptations. Key animes aren't like the Amagami SS anime. Or Yosuga no Sora for that matter.

Articalys

So it turns out that the English parts of the lyrics for Borderland are even more convoluted than anyone thought. Also less awesome sounding than what everyone had guessed previously.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Natsuiro Kiseki 9

I'm glad I didn't drop this show. It's nothing special, but it's nice to watch a good friendship anime once in a while.

This episode...
The big rock's cousin
? Are you freaking kidding me? Hahaha.

Oh, yeah:

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Sailor Moon S 117:

Cjkxvl.jpg

yaranaika?

Apparently this was the final episode of Sailor Moon S for which Ikuhara served as episode director. Apart from a few moments like the bizarre whistle-men it didn't exactly exude his touch, but it was an okay episode. The series has been in a bit of a slump, and I'd really like to see something that doesn't
revolve around Hotaru
soon because
even if she's an important character, she's really boring

At least this episode had
Death Busters twister
, which gave me an image that I expect to get a lot of mileage out of:

Sailor Moon S 118:

Finally, an entertaining episode again.
Tomoe eating junk food on his front porch, an amazing gambling-themed Daimon fight, and JUUUUUUMANJIIIIIIIIIIIII!

Also, Chibiusa legitimately useful for once. I'm really starting to feel Haruka and Michiru's diminished presence in the show, so at least there's someone else to pick up their slack now.

Kuroko no Basket 09
tbJGs.gif

Very nice episode. I liked the focus on the seniors which is something you usually don't see in shounens. Still looks great of course.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Accel World 9

A harem episode with some serious stuff sprinkled over it.

Cartman is at the same time the worst and the best harem master in anime history.

This Chrome Disaster stuff is an example of why I enjoy .hack// and other MMO-based manga/anime franchises. The prospect of a virtual reality that isn't limited by patch notes and paid DLCs, in which crazy shit like that happens... It's just awesome, hahaha.
Because of it, next week's could be a pretty cool episode.
Shit probably won't get really serious, though, because there's still one haremette left. Well, two, technically, since Cartman doesn't remember anything about Aqua Current.

Kuroyukihime is the bestttttest

qcf x2

impossible. the backlog never ends.

It does!

PdotMichael said:
But you watch Code Geass so it's not like you have quality standards or something
Quality standards when it comes to anime? I don't believe there is such a thing; there's far too much subjectivity involved. Besides, your very statement is contradictory, my man!

Watanabe Kazuma said:
But isn't that an achievement? AnimeGAF, forever self-loathing.

Yeah, I thought it would be a relief, but given my current work/life schedule it's advantageous to have something I can watch in 20 minute bursts before I go to bed.

hosannainexcelsis said:
I don't see how anyone could reach the end of their backlog unless they've had way too much free time or have very restricted tastes.

Yes. Moe and slice of life are automatically ignored. That's at least 66.7% of all anime. I'm not into sports or harem series, either. This season, the only current show I've watched is Fate/Zero. Last season, ditto. But ideally I'd be watching one currently airing series while watching another that has already finished (like I did with Fate and Steins;Gate / Geass).

tl;dr, my backlog wasn't very big anyway. It just had some stuff I had put off for a while. I've still got some long-ish series (Rurouni Kenshin, Gintama) and I plan to try watching Cowboy Bebop and Mawaru Penguindrum. Maybe by the time I finish those we'll be in the winter season ;P

Risette

A Good Citizen
Yes. Moe and slice of life are automatically ignored. That's at least 66.7% of all anime. I'm not into sports or harem series, either. This season, the only current show I've watched is Fate/Zero. Last season, ditto. But ideally I'd be watching one currently airing series while watching another that has already finished (like I did with Fate and Steins;Gate / Geass).

tl;dr, my backlog wasn't very big anyway. It just had some stuff I had put off for a while. I've still got some long-ish series (Rurouni Kenshin, Gintama) and I plan to try watching Cowboy Bebop and Mawaru Penguindrum. Maybe by the time I finish those we'll be in the winter season ;P
Depressing.

K-ON! 4

Whoa, this one had actual music playing and everything. Poor Mio, undermined at every turn. And I guess Mugi is a glorified plot device at this point? "Oh you have a beach house", "My family own this store", okay. Anyway, a beach episode that didn't feel shameless, who'd have thought it? It now seems apparent that Mio being continually tortured has become a prevailing theme.

Things have been so laidback so far that the introduction of an overarching storyline almost went unnoticed. Since when did Yui get halfway competent? Its been what, three months since the beginning of the series? Between this and the test she is becoming something of an idiot savant. The animation in the firework scene was particuarly lovely, it was suprisngly emotional too.

They have it figured.

K-ON! 5

...and so does she!

The teacher seemed far too conspicuous not to have a dark-past, and here it is! I'm liking Sawako's apparent delusions, her scenes were probably the best part of the episode for me. The running sequence being the highlight. Then again I always warm to characters that acts as the voice of the audience, and her calling out their slacking certainly fit that. And with that Yui can now sing! So, Yui is definitely a savant then...and an idiot!

And am I right in thinking that Mugi just likes seeing people bonding? Or am I simply overthinking it? At least this can count as some degree of character development for her.

This series is simultaneously going faster/slower than I was anticipating, sure its practically built around those slow moments in the music room, but I thought it would be bookended by the school festival, and that looks as though it could be as early as the next episode!
Yeah, that's pretty much Mugi's job in the first season, and her whole yuri love is never expanded upon in the anime at all. And there's a reason the first season kind of goes through the year fast, you'll see in a few episodes.

Makoto

Birdy The Mighty (1996) 1-4 (FINAL)

Having finished Decode a few weeks back, watching the OVA of the original Birdy was an odd experience. Adapted from an abandoned manga (that would later be remade by the same author), watching the OVA was like watching a proof of concept for what we now see in Decode. Like a writer revealing the original ideas for the story we now see today and you find yourself thinking, “That’s interesting... It’s a good thing the author didn’t do that though.”

Nothing is truly fleshed out, but to be fair, what more could you expect from a four-episode OVA with about 30 minutes for each episode?
Birdy comes off as a loose cannon cop who doesn’t play by the rules. While she was genuinely remorseful in Decode for murdering Tsutomu and treated the care of his body as a moral obligation, in the OVA it seems like Birdy took care of Tsutomu out of lawful obligation. A task ordered by the higher-ups. It’s very bothersome that the show doesn’t address what exactly has happened to Tsutomu, what will be of his physical body or if he’ll ever know a life separate from Birdy’s entity. What was even more bothersome was that in the first episode, Birdy’s backstory is introduced and it’s never addressed again. In it, the audience is given a slight hint that Revi has murdered Violin, someone we are led to assume was close to Birdy. We’re not however, told who Violin is, why she is important to Birdy or what Revi had against Violin.

Without gushing over Decode too much, I’ll just say that I prefered everything in Decode over that of the OVA. Character designs, action, soundtrack. That's not to say the OVA is awful, but Decode had very clean art direction and a fantastic soundtrack to accompany it's action. One could say that it had more time to flesh out the characters, but I feel like the OVA could have gone beyond its constraints and delivered something other than paltry character development and simplistic plot. I’m not entirely sure what potential Madhouse saw in this. It’s a good thing I saw Decode before this or I probably would have been angry about the viewing experience rather than perplexed. 2/5

I certainly respect that everyone has their own interests, but I can't help feeling that by restricting your gaze as much as you do you might be missing out on anime you'd enjoy. I don't know what you've seen, but have you tried more offbeat shows such as Gankutsuou, Mononoke, or Tatami Galaxy? Well-made shows that may be a bit outside your comfort zone but offer a powerful experience you can't get anywhere else, such as Haibane Renmei, Mushishi, or Wandering Son (from the director of Fate/Zero!)? Older shows such as Dirty Pair, Future Boy Conan, or Legend of the Galactic Heroes? Movies such as Genius Party, Memories, or Hosoda's One Piece: Baron Omatsuri and the Secret Island?

You can take or leave these suggestions as you please, but they'd be good departure points for further exploration of the history of anime if you feel so inclined. I know some people consider having a backlog a burden, but I view it as a positive - there's always something to look forward to.

At any rate, if you want an airing show to watch during the summer, I'd suggest Binbougami ga!. It's a comedy, from the director of Gintama, that doesn't fit into any of the categories you mention. The chapter of the manga that I read was hilarious, and fits the strengths that this anime team has already shown, so I expect the show to be quite good.

Ultimadrago

Sankarea 9

5lXwp.jpg

The one that usually has the least to say...

The person from this show with usually the least to say has a bit more to by this mark of the story. Starting with her commenting on her brother's focused attitude as of late with a zombie waifu to maintain and moving onto a mini-mystery involving
her school friends and a teacher that they suspect is a zombie.
It was uneventful, but inoffensive.

This episode was nothing special, but I still like this character the best for having a soft talking voice and little to say, usually. The ones that talk the most in this show (unfortunately those that take up most of the narrative) are the people that annoy me and do the things that helped make this show less interesting and more "eye-rolling." Then the end shoehorns some
development between Rea and her, with Rea being the new mother figure she never had or some drivel.

In the end, not "noteworthy", but I liked it more than the last two or three. Plus, anything is better than Wanko's whining and romantic troubles..

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Suite Precure 8

Aw2U1.jpg

Siren scribbling on her notepad was :cajun as hell

For once, life is going well for Kanade and Hibiki. There's no misunderstandings or aggravations, they're going to write about each other for a school paper, and Kanade is making Hibiki all the cakes she asks for.

ThMNw.jpg

Siren understands the tsundere mind so well

This episode was really more about Siren than it was about the Precure. I could easily see
her potentially switching sides later on, considering how much Hibiki's friendship was effecting her despite her refusal to accept it. Another tsundere!

RO7uw.jpg

The goggles don't even need to be on max for some of these scenes~

Siren knows that she needs to keep Hibiki and Kanade on bad terms with each other, since then they'll be unable to function adequately as Precure. She decides that she, not Kanade, should be Hibiki's best friend, and so sets out to learn everything there is to know about Hibiki. (hence the notepad.)

I liked how the charade ended, not with Siren outing herself as not really a friend, but simply releazing that she hadn't succeeded in ruining Hibiki's and Kanade's relationship. As I said, I really can see her switching teams later on.

JOU9a.jpg

poor Kanade got NTR'd hard during this episode

This was a good episode, not only because it didn't focus on "Oh, Kanade and Hibiki having another argument", but on how Siren's plan was changing her just as much as it was changing Hibiki. Some nice character growth going on here.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Sailor Moon S 119:

qd6K2l.jpg

It took Chibiusa THIS long to begin taking advantage of the time paradox?

Well that suddenly turned serious. And just when
Uranus and Neptune were able to stop worrying about having to kill people to complete their mission
, too.

I probably shouldn't even be thinking about these things, but
how is Hotaru getting enough power to awaken when the Death Busters haven't successfully recovered a single pure heart over the course of the entire season? Does just being in close proximity to pure hearts help? It would certainly explain why she's suddenly gained so much power after beginning to associate with Chibiusa and the others

Sailor Moon S 120:

pJDeXl.jpg

I kind of feel for Pluto, being the only adult in a group of impulsive teenagers.

Wow, that was a pretty packed episode.
Tomoe's backstory, infiltration of his private academy, a prolonged fight, and Mimete's death all in 20 minutes. That was a pretty horrifying way for Mimete to go, but I suppose it was an attempt at irony considering how television-obsessed she was

Also, apparently there's some greater evil controlling Tomoe. I can't tell whether he accidentally created some kind of miniature sentient universe or what, but regardless, someone apparently never saw Bagi.

Mimete's MacGyver'd taser was pretty great.

Ultimadrago

Upotte!! 9

f6Ymy.jpg

Best girls read during beach episodes.

Some "Buy the BD's!" censoring here, some British bosom exploitation there and some
gun-toting party crashers
over on that side.

Well, the next episode will be the last. Praise be. It with either be a
better action scene like a couple in the tournament
or weak sauce. I can't say that I care at this point, but here's to nothing.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
"Choosing a girl" isn't the same as being the show's "Designated girl", right? It's clear pretty much straight off in Love Hina that Naru's the main girl but the joy is in the journey. The long, convoluted journey.
Yeah, I consider those two distinct.

Rewatching Ranma season 2, it seems pretty evident that he really only cares about Akane, and just uses the other girls as he needs to further his plans(or lack thereof).
Ranma being the perfect example, even if it doesn't have an ending. :p

In my opinion he should've been paired with
Kanbaru

Or
Karen :D
Senjou > all.

The fact that the guy usually doesn't make a choice in most harem shows is a pretty good reason to me to think that any decision he does make don't matter. It's always the girls doing whatever they want anyway. Having a lead that actually makes a choice doesn't change that.
That's why I think a show where the guy makes a choice isn't a harem. At the very least, modern harems don't work that way.

Key animes and games aren't really harems because of the whole route deal in that the player can actually choose who they want to be with and the anime has arcs. Sekirei is a perfect example of the male choosing fairly early on and the women still going after him.
I don't really know this franchise unfortunately...

This is the beginning of "yuri goggles".

----

Korra no Densetsu 8

So, first the show becomes Batman and then it gets kind of heavy-handed with the faux post 9-11 racism. Anyway, as I said a few weeks ago, I just hope that
the counsellor is not Amon
. Anything past that is a bonus, I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom