• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 III | AITAKATTA YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got started watching the first two episodes of Sankarea. Is this really DEEN? Show rocks so far.

The first three episodes are storyboarded by the overall director, this guy, who has a real talent that most people working with DEEN don't. Unfortunately, once he stops taking a direct role from episode 4 onwards, the show becomes the mediocre trash you'd expect.

Hiiro no Kakera 10
tumblr_m521avYIpv1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Not much action. I guess the writers must really enjoy Takuma and Mahiro as for this tenth episode still so much time with them and Tamayori Hime...guessing she shall end up liking Takuma at some point. I do enjoy the down time after last episodes intense stuff. And for one of the guardians
really want to know what he is doing with Logos, as well as when the other guy gets involved with the plot instead of observing

Hot bath part was nice.

Steroyd

I haven't actually watched Nise aside from episode 8, but it definitely doesn't look very promising. Is there any redeeming qualities to iT? Everybody talks about this Shinobu characters pretty highly so maybe that arc is watchable.

Shinobu is a great character, I think the show's perversions peak at the toothbrush, either that or I was so desensitised after that episode everything felt tame in comparison.

Just got started watching the first two episodes of Sankarea. Is this really DEEN? Show rocks so far.

It's like I went back in time to the start of the season.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I haven't actually watched Nise aside from episode 8, but it definitely doesn't look very promising. Is there any redeeming qualities to iT? Everybody talks about this Shinobu characters pretty highly so maybe that arc is watchable.
That's not how Nise works. There are only two arcs, one for Karen Bee and one for Tsukihi Phoenix. Shinobu shows up in both.

jman2050

I've seen the pics of the BD version of episode four, tho.

Well okay fine, there's that, but that was at least a scene of Shinobu being awesome while doing other things, whereas snake girl arc was an entire episode and a half of two not awesome characters being not awesome in every way (with a half episode of Kanbaru to soften to blow)

madp

The Light of El Cantare

Medaka Box 01:

This was pretty terrible, but I'm confident that it'll pick up once they introduce that Kumagawa character that everyone talks about. I needed a new long-running shounen anyway now that Bleach is canceled. Shiranui should be more than enough to hold the show over until it begins to pick up.

Medaka Box 01:

This was pretty terrible, but I'm confident that it'll pick up once they introduce that Kumagawa character that everyone talks about. I needed a new long-running shounen anyway now that Bleach is canceled. Shiranui should be more than enough to hold the show over until it begins to pick up.

Yeah, about that. As most people have already said, the show seems only slated so far for 12 episodes. So, we get like one decent arc while the rest is decent-ish.

At least, you can look at Shiranui every episode til then!

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

Yeah I'm LTTP. Basically spent the entire season watching an awful American cartoon show (Avatar), a fantastic American cartoon show (MLP) and now the game of the forever (Dragon's Dogma). But diving into the season now.

Already shared my thoughts on Queen's Blade Rebellion and Lupin and I dropped both of those shows. Mysterious Girlfriend X has been quite the treat so far and so has Sankarea. Although you people are depressing me already :(

Reknoc

Medaka Box 01:

I think you went for the wrong anime.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Yeah, about that. As most people have already said, the show seems only slated so far for 12 episodes. So, we get like one decent arc while the rest is decent-ish.

At least, you can look at Shiranui every episode til then!

That was actually a parody impression referencing what the thread thought of various anime at the beginning of the season until now, hah. See: what I quoted in my previous post and darkside's about-to-be-shattered hopes that Sankarea will maintain the level of quality it had at the beginning.

Medaka Box 01:

Perhaps you should watch the new Hunter x Hunter or Toriko?

That was actually a parody impression referencing what the thread thought of various anime at the beginning of the season until now, hah. See: what I quoted in my previous post and darkside's about-to-be-shattered hopes that Sankarea will maintain the level of quality it had at the beginning.

Oh you got me there!

Soma

I have a pretty high tolerance of things so I'm still enjoying Sankarea. But episodes 7 and 8 were really dull even for me.

Medaka Box... I dropped it by episode 3 and picked it back up with the latest episode. It really would've been nice for it to at least get to the Flask Plan arc from the manga though.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
The first three episodes of Sankarea weren't even that good to begin with.

I really have to disagree. A ton. This show is fantastic
for now :(

I lost faith catching up on this season after the massive disappointment that was Lupin but it's back on track now.

One really interesting thing about Mysterious Girlfriend X that I just realized is the considerable transformation that happened between the next episode preview in episode 8 and the actual episode 9:

The preview looks more "normal" and in keeping with the general style of the show as compared to the episode itself. I'm not certain at what point in the production process the next episode previews get finalized, but I'm assuming Yamauchi only decided to go for more experimental visuals relatively late.

Dresden

One really interesting thing about Mysterious Girlfriend X that I just realized is the considerable transformation that happened between the next episode preview in episode 8 and the actual episode 9:

The preview looks more "normal" and in keeping with the general style of the show as compared to the episode itself. I'm not certain at what point in the production process the next episode previews get finalized, but I'm assuming Yamauchi only decided to go for more experimental visuals relatively late.

Hard to say without the context of actually watching the episode, but I don't like some of the changes, especially the first two.

trejo

One really interesting thing about Mysterious Girlfriend X that I just realized is the considerable transformation that happened between the next episode preview in episode 8 and the actual episode 9

To be honest, I think they went a bit overboard with the red filter in that one scene. I like the more subdued look of the preview version and I think it fits the tone better.

Instead it kinda looks like they somehow wandered into the Batman:TAS version of Gotham city.

Hard to say without the context of actually watching the episode, but I don't like some of the changes, especially the first two.

The first one actually works a lot better the way it is, I think. Makes the shot really pop when you're watching. The preview version looks more ho-hum.

To be honest, I think they went a bit overboard with the red filter in that one scene. I like the more subdued look of the preview version and I think it fits the tone better.

Instead it kinda looks like they somehow wandered into the Batman:TAS version of Gotham city.

That's a valid opinion. I really like it myself, just for how striking and different it is. Tsubaki and Urabe's walk home is a motif that has visually been presented in mostly the same way throughout the show, so it's nice to see that landscape through such a radically altered view. Given the other time the strong red shows up in the episode, I'm assuming it's used here to accentuate Tsubaki's feelings of jealousy and possessiveness.

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to getting around to Votoms. It looks like a mecha show right up my alley.
I tried to watch through it on YT, but it's just such a long series at times, and I had to get away from it to do other things back in the "real world". Now's probably not the best time to return either, unless I can make room in my backlog for the franchise. Time is precious, as is summer.

Exactly. Koike's designs for the current Lupin show are a good example of ones that look good on paper, but in practice are much too detailed to get good animation out of. On the other hand, Horiguchi's simple designs for K-ON work wonderfully for creating that show's super-fluid animation.
It's not as simple as blaming the character designs, though. If we take into consideration the rushed pre-production and shaky quality of staff, as well as Koike's general correctional behavior and the fact that they haven't got the most reliable budget in the world, blaming the character designs alone isn't going to work as an argument. Trava worked on much less of a budget and with less staff—it still had great, very-appealing synergy between the animation and the character designs themselves, and that was due to the overall polish and participation of Koike and guys like Imaishi in that OVA's development. In practice, I'm surprised the new Lupin series is doing as well as it is, with all of the problems associated.

Yeah, Koike's designs for Lupin are a decent example. Even the bits of "good animation" I've seen in specific places is still weird looking and weightless because the detail and overall visual style are not quite cooperative with movement, at least with TV-level budgets.

Episode 5 had really-good animation from Shin Itagaki, though, and he was able to make the designs flow freely and do all sorts of cool things that didn't feel cringe-worthy and/or uninteresting. To me: the TV budgeting and lack of great key animators and trust-worthy general staff is hurting this show more than it deserves.

In a way, his designs are a step back to the stiff looking, hard to move character designs of the original green jacket series. It's no coincidence that series 2 and series 3 are considered (and just are) more visually appealing despite having much simpler character designs -- it's because these simpler character designs lend themselves better to animation.
—But the last thing I'd argue against is what Yasuo Otsuka accomplished in the Green Jacket episodes. Let's get this much straight: the character designs may not have been as wacky as later versions to come, but they were definitely well-designed to the extent that Yasuo could do such great limited animation for his time. Yasuo didn't need fluidity: he went off-model when the time was right, brought along the best key animators he could find to do great animation all-throughout the series' indefinite history, and this montage should provide a bunch of good animation standalone. His designs may have been more realistic up close, but they were always pared down on-the-move, and usually for the best. The series benefits from having the best animation quality of its time.

A better example to use, from that time period anyway, would be the designs from Ashita no Joe, which have more realistic features and weren't so privy to the talents of great key animators. The only moments in that show that featured great animation of any kind were the fight scenes, and even then anyone could tell how conservative Dezaki was trying to be with his budget, knowing that Sugii and the other talented animators at Mushi Pro were usually preoccupied with other projects. Both of these shows worked on similar budgets, but the latter was more successful and still didn't benefit from the synergy that Otsuka was capable of maintaining.

trejo

That's a valid opinion. I really like it myself, just for how striking and different it is. Tsubaki and Urabe's walk home is a motif that has visually been presented in mostly the same way throughout the show, so it's nice to see that landscape through such a radically altered view. Given the other time the strong red shows up in the episode, I'm assuming it's used here to accentuate Tsubaki's feelings of jealousy and possessiveness.

Oh I'm all for a bit of visual experimentation. The intent is certainly very commendable, it's just some of the changes seem to be better executed than others.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Sailor Moon R 63
Xo1MA.jpg

In the end, I don't think he ever did.

A Rei episode, and they almost managed to ruin it, Rei being the one salvageable part.

wTyUA.jpg

well, that and all the girls in miko outfits

Rei's grandpa is getting in trouble due to all his skirt chasing. Somehow, this leads to him forming a new martial art, the reason for its existence is to allow him to oggle at even more girls.

1ohH9.jpg

A day in the life of Chibiusa's dreams

Youma shows up, wrecks shit, grandpa turns out to care more for sadistic cat ladies than his granddaughter, Rei gets
her new transformation and attack
, fin.

vtfra.jpg

Usagi's faces in this scene were amazing

Hopefully the next episode will be better, I'm assuming
Mako's up next for a new transformation and attack.

po1fN.jpg

this image pretty much mirrors my final thoughts on this episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom