• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: 'Arena Commander' Dogfighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lumicide

Banned
God, 60FPS looks glorious. I barely get 25, damn 5850/i7920.
Sadly not possible yet, it would be amazing though! Another level of immersion.
You can land on a platform near the big space drill, press the use key (F), and get out. Currently can't just hop up out of your seat while it's floating though, unless you consider eject to be hopping.

Xyber

For some reason I haven't been able to load the hangar a single time today. Just get connection error after the long loading screen. :(

Is it just me that have this problem here?

I've had a few friends complaining of that today. I just loaded into free flight without any issue, though. Maybe there were some server issues earlier?

That or I'm just a lucky jerk.

friday

Played some more tonight and enjoyed myself. Switched over to ctrl + f control with the mouse and kb. Made flying a lot more fun and responsive, but now I see that strange jerkiness that others were complaining about. Either way, its fun zipping around rocks and ships, and just looking around as I fly past things. The only bummer is that the simulated areas are so small that I can't explore like I want to. RSI has a lot of work to do but I think things are pretty cool so far. I can't wait to get my OR DK2 and just go exploring.

Now I am gonna order a Logitech Extreme 3D.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Finally got to try it out. It seems like a Razer Hydra would be fantastic for it, assuming that works like I'm thinking where you could control movement entirely with hand position relative to a defined center (all with one hand). Lift hand to strafe up, twist to roll, move ahead to throttle forward, etc.

Nice intuitive way to do a maneuver like strafing diagonally up/left while rotating down/right to stay on target. Conceptually it would be like holding a little model ship and moving it the way you want it to go (relatively).

Pand

For some reason I haven't been able to load the hangar a single time today. Just get connection error after the long loading screen. :(

Is it just me that have this problem here?

nah im in the same boat

I had the same problem yesterday, but I think I found the solution. First, open the Star Citizen launcher and log in (this is important). Go to your Star Citizen Client folder (C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\StarCitizen\Client) and open logindata.json with notepad. There, after "token", you should see a string of random characters. Replace those with your password, and save. You should be able to load the game now.

The only annoying thing is that you have to repeat this process every time you log in to the launcher.

Spineker

Banned
Finally got a chance to give it a go.

It's alright, pretty fun. Clearly still needs a lot of work but that isn't surprising. My rig is struggling to run it at 60fps on High without pushing 90 degrees C on my video card. When ships are destroyed is particularly awesome. I love how ship remains immediately become another floating hazard like the asteroids.

One cool moment I had was I was kicking arse in the early waves and then I THINK I got caught in the gravity of a large asteroid. I couldn't thruster away from it or anything. I was just drifting backwards against my will. I hope it wasn't a bug, at least.

Xane

Interior of an Origin Jump 890, feast your eyes:
QhjVxl8.jpg

Daedardus

Very nice. What kinda ship is it? A luxury cruiser?

Yup.

The Origin 890 JUMP is an interstellar super-yacht with exquisite styling and an array of high quality upgrade options. Travel the stars in style with multiple decks, high visibility windows and a small boat bay. Whether you’re outfitting it to explore new worlds or to take a pleasure cruise through Terra, the 890 JUMP is the epitome of luxury, class and refinement!

It's slightly bigger and heavier than a Constellation and features extra engines to compensate for the weight, but has fewer weapon hardpoints.

I have the quite hilarious problem of textures disappearing. Sometimes after about 5-10 minutes in the vanduul swarm mode, my ship is completely not displaying and the enemy fighters are essentially just radar contacts and hud information. So weird how that happens.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Interior of an Origin Jump 890, feast your eyes:
QhjVxl8.jpg

Pretty sure that's a Constellation variant. In that shot, the camera is in the cargo hold looking toward the rear of the ship. Note the identical airlock on the left that's there in the regular Constellation.

She has two other images seemingly of Constellation variants on her Facebook page:

10432126_682461418473814_3385969860222084014_n.jpg

10342887_682023708517585_2827158700036451610_n.jpg

Daedardus

Hmm, yeah now that you mention it, isn't that a RSI docking ring? But that's a Constellation? I didn't think there were any luxury variants.

Man, now I can't even wait to see what a real luxury means.

Xyber

I had the same problem yesterday, but I think I found the solution. First, open the Star Citizen launcher and log in (this is important). Go to your Star Citizen Client folder (C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\StarCitizen\Client) and open logindata.json with notepad. There, after "token", you should see a string of random characters. Replace those with your password, and save. You should be able to load the game now.

The only annoying thing is that you have to repeat this process every time you log in to the launcher.

Thanks, that worked. Folder wasn't in that location though since I installed on another HDD. So the content folder can be found in the install directory, if anyone else is having problems finding it.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Hmm, yeah now that you mention it, isn't that a RSI docking ring? But that's a Constellation? I didn't think there were any luxury variants.

Man, now I can't even wait to see what a real luxury means.

There aren't any Constellation variants yet, but they're in the works. They're planned to be released later in the summer, last I heard.

Freelancer variants may come later this month.

Mik2121

I guess you guys have already talked about it, and there's so much stuff out there that it's hard to read everything. However got one issue with this... the ship (at least the Aurora I got) feels incredibly light when turning around, and it barely feels like I'm moving a massive ship around space.

Is this something they plan on fixing later on?

Daedardus

There aren't any Constellation variants yet, but they're in the works. They're planned to be released later in the summer, last I heard.

Freelancer variants may come later this month.

I knew there were Constellation variants being made, I just didn't know the Constellation was the 'luxury' kind of ship. The interior as it looks now made it seem like a rugged trader and exploration vessel while also featuring a good weapons loadout. I guess this is what they mean with versatile though.

I guess you guys have already talked about it, and there's so much stuff out there that it's hard to read everything. However got one issue with this... the ship (at least the Aurora I got) feels incredibly light when turning around, and it barely feels like I'm moving a massive ship around space.

Well, the Aurora is one of the smallest ships in the game, it's normal it doesn't feel like a massive ship. It's made to be agile, the only strength a ship like this can have is being able to speed up fast and make tight corners around asteroids. I see this as intentional and not actually an issue.

Finally got a chance to give it a go.

It's alright, pretty fun. Clearly still needs a lot of work but that isn't surprising. My rig is struggling to run it at 60fps on High without pushing 90 degrees C on my video card. When ships are destroyed is particularly awesome. I love how ship remains immediately become another floating hazard like the asteroids.

One cool moment I had was I was kicking arse in the early waves and then I THINK I got caught in the gravity of a large asteroid. I couldn't thruster away from it or anything. I was just drifting backwards against my will. I hope it wasn't a bug, at least.

Sounds like you turned on decoupled mode by hitting caps lock accidentally. What it does is let you drift in your current direction while freeing you to rotate around. It's useful for fast turns and firing at the enemy while moving away from them, AKA the "BSG Maneuver". I actually assigned it to my X52's pinkie trigger so I can quickly and easily use it.

MrBig

There's a thread over on reddit about Voice Attack, for using voice commands to do things in the game. Considering all the controls needed to do things at the moment, this is a fantastic solution, even if you're using m/kb since you don't have to release the primary movement controls.

I downloaded the trial and the config someone post and trimmed it down to the 20 command max for the trial. Original config that you'll have to trim down yourself as the trial can't export one
The sheet for my config:
va_sc08mrjdj.png

example video someone posted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DkVGsDA1t4&feature=youtu.be

I found it to work very well, after going through the windows voice training system twice. Will probably go ahead and pay the $8 for it as I'm sure it will be immensely useful for playing games with the Rift.

There's a thread over on reddit about Voice Attack, for using voice commands to do things in the game. Considering all the controls needed to do things at the moment, this is a fantastic solution, even if you're using m/kb since you don't have to release the primary movement controls.

I downloaded the trial and the config someone post and trimmed it down to the 20 command max for the trial. Original config that you'll have to trim down yourself as the trial can't export one
The sheet for my config:
va_sc08mrjdj.png

example video someone posted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DkVGsDA1t4&feature=youtu.be

I found it to work very well, after going through the windows voice training system twice. Will probably go ahead and pay the $8 for it as I'm sure it will be immensely useful for playing games with the Rift.

That is pretty awesome. When I reupgrade my rig I will definitely consider tiny thing like this.

ASTROID2

Patch notes show up on the bottom of this page.
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/project-status
Star Citizen Patch 12.1

Updates
Increased the size of production server and deployed servers with Google Compute
Added HOTAS mapping XML files to Arena Commander
Updated Arena Commander controls screen to include HOTAS mappings and updated other control screens to reflect current controls accurately
Added XML for joysticks to allow swapping Yaw and Roll mappings
Adjusted power consumption and the speed of the laser bolt for the Klaus and Werner CF007 Bulldog

Bugs Fixed
Unable to access multiplayer with an account that contains the appropriate multiplayer game mode items
Resolved an issue in multiplayer where the pilot enter animation would play every time you respawn
Resolved an issue with the Hornet’s Gatling gun which would cause it to begin taking heat damage prior to reaching a critical heat state
Resolved an issue with the AI firing their Gatling guns constantly until they were destroyed due to heat damage
Resolved an issue with pilot animations becoming offset in the 300i when viewed in 3rd person
Resolved an issue which caused the animations for pitching up and down in the cockpit to be reversed.

P3P5I

So I figured out ejecting doesn't cost you lives in Vanduul Swarm and I got to Wave 14. Yay cheesing! But seriously, that Alpha missile spam, I think I had 4 separate missile incoming indicators at one point. The Vanduul don't joke and I can't imagine fighting them on any larger scale and winning. I can't wait!

phoenixyz

It's probably only a matter of perception. SC uses newtonian physics so rotation and reorientation is very fast even with comstab, g-force-safe and coupled mode. Doesn't necessarily mean your ship will fly in the new direction immediately. You should take a look out for the little pro- and retrograde signs in the HUD.

Faith

Damn, why has the shippart to clip trough the ship. Could have been the best gif ever :(

But wait? If I eject before my ship gets destroyed and respawn, I don't lose one of my lifes?

Are the tngs ships in our hangars all pbr? I thought everything had to be pbr to work correctly. Can't wait to get home and check them out

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13926-Introducing-The-Freelancer-Line-Up

New freelancer variants all PBRd up, the end of TNGS will showcase the freelancer commercial too.

Also, read this in reference to the patch just released:
PLEASE NOTE: Do not be surprised if you log on to find a Deluxe Hangar! We have temporarily upgraded all Hangars to display the two The Next Great Starship finalists. Check them out and decide which you like best; the winner will be determined via live vote during the TNGS finale tomorrow at 3 PM PST!

So we can see all the TNGS finalist ships in our hangar?! WOW

Are the tngs ships in our hangars all pbr? I thought everything had to be pbr to work correctly. Can't wait to get home and check them out

They were given the time to upgrade to PBR, yeah.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
This patch is awesome, can't wait to get home and download it. I can't believe a new patch came out so soon!

Freelancer DUR, $140:
FreelancerDUR.jpg

Freelancer MAX, $155:
FreelancerMAX.jpg

Freelancer MIS, $180, "For when you aim to misbehave!"
01laugh.gif
:
FreelancerMIS.jpg

[edit]
Dammit not going to be home for another couple hours, I demand pics of the updated ships immediately!

Ask and you shall receive, inadvertently, heh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom