• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: Hangar Module

Starviper

I've been tempted so many times to upgrade from the limited release base package I got way back when this was first announced. I'm pretty comfortable with the package.. But the other ships on display look so damn cool.

CTLance

I'm suddenly feeling inadequate with my utterly random decision to join LAMP. At first I wanted to join another corp, but with the old forums being assy as they were I kind lost track of them or they died. Something about Wolves or somesuch. "The Pack"? Not sure anymore.

Still, LAMP. What's not to like about that name.

Honestly, I'll worry about that stuff in earnest when we get closer to launch.

Grief.exe

Instancing is something that CR/CIG needs to put out a long discussion on how they intend to go about it. Last they really spoke about it was back in November of last year iirc and it's the thing that's going to make or break this game imo

Agreed, that is a huge aspect of the game. They probably need to wait until more of the infrastructure is in place to iron out more of the details.

I'll see what I can do young padawan.

EDIT: They need to update their god damn servers. 3 mb/s is pathetic.

Seems like a pretty solid bandwidth.

I am running 3 x HD 6970 in crossfire, and I can only get 20fps on medium, and even then everything is glitchy. At first I thought it was the crossfire, but even when I run it on a single card it's the same (only 15fps or lower).

What gives? The 6970 2GB isn't that bad of a card, especially crossfired with 3 of them.

Grief.exe

I am running 3 x HD 6970 in crossfire, and I can only get 20fps on medium, and even then everything is glitchy. At first I thought it was the crossfire, but even when I run it on a single card it's the same (only 15fps or lower).

What gives? The 6970 2GB isn't that bad of a card, especially crossfired with 3 of them.

Optimization passes are generally one of the last things to go into game development.

Nothing to see here, just be patient.

Rommel

We were talking earlier about maybe doing a give away of some of my extra packages. I was thinking maybe of turning it into a poster creation contest. Top prize receiving a Pirate Package (Cutlass) and 2nd/3rd places receiving the Aurora LN packages. I don't really have time to do an OT right now if someone would be ok with making it I'll provide the prizes. Thoughts?

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
We were talking earlier about maybe doing a give away of some of my extra packages. I was thinking maybe of turning it into a poster creation contest. Top prize receiving a Pirate Package (Cutlass) and 2nd/3rd places receiving the Aurora LN packages. I don't really have time to do an OT right now if someone would be ok with making it I'll provide the prizes. Thoughts?

I very muchly appreciate the idea, just no sure a separate OT is the way to go, wouldn't that just split the community? What about asking a mod to change the thread title to metion the giveaway, and putting giveaway ingo into the first post & new post?

Or wait until we get some other big newa that warrants a new thread and then combine those 2 things, e.g. With the dogfighting module release?

Were you thinking of making it open to people who haven't backed the project?

Rommel

I very muchly appreciate the idea, just no sure a separate OT is the way to go, wouldn't that just split the community? What about asking a mod to change the thread title to metion the giveaway, and putting giveaway ingo into the first post & new post?

Or wait until we get some other big newa that warrants a new thread and then combine those 2 things, e.g. With the dogfighting module release?

I think it might work best if we combine it with another big news drop. Just get things prepared for when it happens.

Mindlog

I think it might work best if we combine it with another big news drop. Just get things prepared for when it happens.
Yeah plenty of time left before release to think of creative ways to do a contest. It can get its own thread to because we all end up posting in it anyways and by then you'll be a full member.

Like one surprise giveaway could be.
[email="SURPRISE! Contest has started now. First one to say, 'You can be my Wingman.' Wins! But not really. I did pick up a Super Hornet because I have no will power.][/email]

Blizzard

Banned
Yeah I have seen more and more people worried about this on the official forums.

I personally am a little concerned about the microtransaction nightmare that allready seems to be in place before the game is even out.

I worry how this will affect the game when it comes out
I also think this is a big risk. Certainly they COULD change their model and be very pro-consumer once the game releases, but when they have been making crazy amounts of money before the game, what is the motivation for them to really change after they release to an even larger audience?

I think the main difference is--right now they have a consumer base that wants to throw money at them. So they're taking advantage of the situation by putting up ship variants for bonuses. Backers that want to spend more money get specialized ships, and they get additional funding to build the Best Damn Space Sim ever.

When the game launches, they'll have a much wider audience than they do now. Sure, they're already profitable now, but they've estimated that this is 10% of their total post-launch clientele. Unless they're horribly off on those numbers, the remaining 90% isn't going to throw this kind of money into ships. They'll definitely put money into the game through microtransactions, and it'll keep the game going, but the percentages we're seeing now are in no way sustainable.

Plus, if they deliver on the modding front, they'll be plenty of people who'll buy the game and then never feel any need to pay attention to the persistent universe or the main website again--they'll be off making Star Wars total conversions, or just hosting their own private servers.

Keasar

Not gonna throw money at it. Not gonna throw money at it. Not gonna throw money at it not gonna throw money at itnotgonnathrowmoneyatitnotgonnathrowmoneyatitGNNNNNNNNGH!

I threw money at it. :(
pEngxbh.png

I hope they don;t make it too hard to get the resources needed to upgrade to better ships, or build a portfolio of them. I like the idea of starting as a ragtag loner and gradually getting better ships, while building up a clan

Morzak

Hm I just pledged for 300i, I have a 6950 with shader unlocks to a 6970, I'm running around 30 FPS on high and 45 on medium, Very high drops it into the low 20's. It's an pre alpha hangar module, so I'm not to worried about the performance, optimization will come at a later stage.

I wish they'd enable AA natively in the hangar. The engine obviously supports it and it's not like they care a whole lot about performance right now. Have they given any reason why they haven't done so?

I wish they'd enable AA natively in the hangar. The engine obviously supports it and it's not like they care a whole lot about performance right now. Have they given any reason why they haven't done so?

It's not a high priority at this pre-alpha stage of development. Most of the time devs wont properly implement stuff like AA until they are ready to show to the public and that would be at a stage of development much further along than what Star Citizen is at right now.

Who knows, maybe they will implement for the dogfighting module.?

I hope they don;t make it too hard to get the resources needed to upgrade to better ships, or build a portfolio of them. I like the idea of starting as a ragtag loner and gradually getting better ships, while building up a clan

I believe the estimate was 40-60 hours of gameplay to be able to afford a Constellation outright in-game. I don't think that's horrible for the ship that seemingly has the best stats right now and is a large multi-crewed vessel. Shouldn't be awful building up a group of smaller specialized ships, I would think.

Zabojnik said:
"Finally, one small change to the Hornet rollout. We’ve had a number of requests from backers eager to purchase the limited edition Super Hornet who will not be able to do so until the end of the month. Federal employees in the United States who are just getting back to work after the recent government shutdown are especially affected. We are grateful for your passion and would like to help however possible. With this in mind, we are going to keep the Super Hornet available an extra week through Monday, November 4th. We hope that helps give all of our existing backers an opportunity to upgrade to the F7C-M!"

How nice of them! $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Hint: If you are living from paycheck to paycheck then you shouldn't be spending that money on a shinier spaceship upgrade in a game that isn't going to be released for over a year.

I love the spaceship designs but it scares me that they're largely irrelevant.
It's like designing a range of high-poly shoe models for Gordon Freeman's HL3 footwear. Are people ever going to walk through their ship more than once before just clicking the "quick board" button to get to the actual gameplay?

JoseJX

I love the spaceship designs but it scares me that they're largely irrelevant.
It's like designing a range of high-poly shoe models for Gordon Freeman's HL3 footwear. Are people ever going to walk through their ship more than once before just clicking the "quick board" button to get to the actual gameplay?

If the $26M goal ends up applying to all ships with an interior, I think we might get an FTL type gameplay out of walking through the ship. As in, damage forces you to break off an attack and repair the O2 generator, or put out a fire. Especially with the multi-crew ships, this type of gameplay would be pretty interesting and better utilize the interiors of ships.

If that doesn't end up happening for the smaller ships, then I agree with you. The interiors are cool, but irrelevant in the larger scheme of things.

Also, I've got an Aurora LX, a 315p, an Avenger and a Freelancer. WHY do I want to melt the Avenger and get a Super Hornet so badly?! This game...

jonnyp

After 40 nights of their slow updater ...

Here's a few - Click for big

[/URL]

Looks great, really big difference in the last months. Initially I thought their lighting and art direction looked a bit bland and sterile but it's come far in a very little time. I guess they're putting those tens of millions of funding to good use :)

I'm not really interested in Space Sims but this one I am interested in.

JoseJX

Not sure what the alternative is. Model the shit out of the cockpit, dismiss everything else?

Put a bulkhead between the cockpit and ignore the rest would be my answer if they decided to not model the interiors.

I have to say though, I really like the interiors, especially if we are getting boarding FPSes and FTL-lite management aspects.

phoenixyz

Put a bulkhead between the cockpit and ignore the rest
That would kill my hype immediately. The fact that the interiors are fully realized is one of the most awesome things about Star Citizen imo. I hope we will be able to customize our ships, like it was possible in Star Wars Galaxies. That was awesome.

JoseJX

That would kill my hype immediately. The fact that the interiors are fully realized is one of the most awesome things about Star Citizen imo. I hope we will be able to customize our ships, like it was possible in Star Wars Galaxies. That was awesome.

Sorry, I wasn't suggesting that they should do that, I was answering the question how they could get away with not modeling the interior. I like the interiors as they are! We're supposed to be able to paint and decal our ships, but I'm not sure if they've talked about decorating interiors.

Sethos

Banned
Sorry, I wasn't suggesting that they should do that, I was answering the question how they could get away with not modeling the interior. I like the interiors as they are! We're supposed to be able to paint and decal our ships, but I'm not sure if they've talked about decorating interiors.

I want flowers everywhere.

Keasar

Seems like that the Hangar Module doesn't recognize if you have one of the upgrade packs so I can't see my Super Hornet yet. :(

One question though, I guess this isn't the default loadout of it? Found the image in the trailer thread.
I don't see the mini-guns mentioned in the brochure, but they are neither mentioned in the Voyager store, so its most likely a Cry Engine edit?

Seems like that the Hangar Module doesn't recognize if you have one of the upgrade packs so I can't see my Super Hornet yet. :(

Yea I think this applies to most ships in the hangar. If you want to see the actual ship, you should melt your base package + upgrade and just buy the newer, upgraded package.

phoenixyz

Sorry, I wasn't suggesting that they should do that, I was answering the question how they could get away with not modeling the interior.
I wasn't assuming that you were. I wanted to express that, for me, detailed interiors are essential and not some "pretty dead weight, nobody will look at after the first hour".

I just read this response on the official forums to someone asking how the different systems communicate, which sounds interesting:

Dave Haddock (Lead Writer) said:
are you asking how quickly information travels in the SC universe? We actually have news take time to spread throughout the various systems. Since there isn't faster-than-light or real-time communication between star systems, the data has to be loaded onto drives (effectively) and flown through jump points to continue on their journey.

That way, theoretically, you could outrun the spread of information. Hence why couriers become a viable occupation.

Starviper

Originally Posted by Dave Haddock (Lead Writer)

are you asking how quickly information travels in the SC universe? We actually have news take time to spread throughout the various systems. Since there isn't faster-than-light or real-time communication between star systems, the data has to be loaded onto drives (effectively) and flown through jump points to continue on their journey.

That way, theoretically, you could outrun the spread of information. Hence why couriers become a viable occupation.

That is super cool. Love that they're taking all sorts of things like this into consideration. I think I may pitch in again to get a super hornet or the ghost one, i'd really like to get the next stretch goal. Sounds fantastic.

One question though, I guess this isn't the default loadout of it? Found the image in the trailer thread.

I don't see the mini-guns mentioned in the brochure, but they are neither mentioned in the Voyager store, so its most likely a Cry Engine edit?

The miniguns are a glitch, I believe. They're showing up on the dorsal turret in the hangar. People have moved them to the wings, to mimic the hornet in the trailer's loadout.

I assume the miniguns will be replaced with their actual guns in an upcoming patch.

XEROWUN

Neo Member
are there any guns under the nose of the super hornet? i think there are hard points there, but so far, of the pics i've seen, i cannot see anything down there. are they empty?

A nose set is supposed to be there, but I think it is retracted when in the hangar.

Under the nose would be the canard turret, and no variant starts with one.

CTLance

I don't think the Super Hornet actually comes with the Gattling guns. From the brochure:
snippetmqsgj.png

Note the "optional" part. Dat advertisement lingo.
snippetfys5d.png

It's not in the spreadsheet either.

That said, Neutron Gun sounds more badass than Chaingun.
I threw money at it. :(
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/pEngxbh.png[/IMG]
I'd like to pretend I'm not on the cusp of breaking down myself here.

are there any guns under the nose of the super hornet? i think there are hard points there, but so far, of the pics i've seen, i cannot see anything down there. are they empty?

Stealing a picture from the forums here but you can see them in this, right below the fans:

HGqKvmgh.jpg

The nose guns there are the Neutron guns all Hornets come with though the Super Hornet has an upgraded pair. The canard turret is a separate thing entirely and none of the civilian models come with it by default, though the Hornet in the trailer has it and you can see its hardpoint in the holotable (and even put the ball turret in it to... Humorous results).

The Gatling guns are simply a glitch, if you look in the holotable they don't even match the model shown there (believe the holotable uses the neutron gun model for them) and they're hilariously undersized at just size 2, allowing them to fit in spots where they really shouldn't (such as the Hornet and 300i's nose). They come attached to the ball turret currently in place of the laser repeaters, but that'll likely be fixed whenever the next patch comes out.

Top Bottom