• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: Hangar Module

Ianan

GAF, I'm an original backer from the Kickstarter campaign, pledged the $250 one.
I just wanna know, if I pledge for further ships, do I still get the Lifetime insurance and the original bonus's etc? Or has the deadline passed?

GrizzNKev

Banned
GAF. I'm looking for the perfect space game. I've never knew much about this game until just this week. I'm not understanding what this game is trying to be....

-I want to be on/run my own space cruiser.
-Have my own ship
-Discover space. Go wherever the fuck I want
-land on/live on strange worlds
-visit various planets.
etc

GAF, I LOVE SPACE. But every time I purchase a game, thinking that it'll scratch that itch, I get burned. Is this game what I'm looking for???

I'm an original backer and despite how much I've been following this game, it's hard to say. It seems great conceptually but it is tough for me to visualize the things we haven't seen yet, like traveling between star systems and how big the actual play space is for each one. What really happens in ships or on the surface of planets? We don't really know. Thankfully this is the most transparent development of a game with this scope I've ever seen, so you're well off if you want to wait it out and see how the game looks during the persistent online beta test. There's still a long way to go before the game launches, and it's not like you're going to miss out on anything if you just wait until it's released.

Zabojnik

Except that the landing on planets thing is going to be more limited that you may be looking for. Each planet will have a smallish to mid-sized hub that leads to points of interest. Bars for talking to people and picking up missions, ship dealerships, weapons sellers, etc.

Yeah, that would be my comment as well. There'll be A LOT of worlds / locations for you to visit - CR mentioned that they currently have 465 (or close to that) "landing spots" in the pipeline - just don't expect each of them to be a mmorpg-type of environment.

Everything else though ... yep, that's Star Citizen alright.

legacyzero

Banned
Except the landing on planets thing may be more limited than what you're looking for. Each planet will have a smallish to mid-sized hub that leads to points of interest. Bars for talking to people and picking up missions, ship dealerships, weapons sellers, etc.

This is a very early demo of a landing zone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UaFSd-ezQc

There will supposedly be well over 100 landing zones in the game. We won't know how varied they are in practice for a while.

Crap.... If it's one thing I loved about the first Mass Effect, is that you could just land on a random planet (if it was available to do so) and just run/drive on it's surface. Granted, there wasn't a whole to do, but I love it.

I like the first person mode though! Will there be first person combat on foot?? Or just space battles?

XaeonBE

Crap.... If it's one thing I loved about the first Mass Effect, is that you could just land on a random planet (if it was available to do so) and just run/drive on it's surface. Granted, there wasn't a whole to do, but I love it.

I like the first person mode though! Will there be first person combat on foot?? Or just space battles?

Yeah I know what you mean I liked that too in Mass Effect.

Zabojnik

20M$ stretch goal: "First person combat on select lawless planets. Don’t just battle on space stations and platforms… take the fight to the ground!"

This should be pretty close to what you could do in ME.

There will supposedly be well over 100 landing zones in the game. We won't know how varied they are in practice for a while.

There's actually around 450 landing zones as Roberts said the 100 or so systems will have multiple planets and those planets have multiple landing zones, so I doubt they will all be unique places considering the amount of content they already need to create for them

MrBig

Not all planets will have cities or even small settlements. The majority of planets you can visit probably won't be highly developed.

On planets/sectors not governed by the UEE or alien governments you will be able to use your weapons in space and on the ground.

The most common FPS combat will be on ship boarding actions. However, there will be FPS combat on a few handful of lawless planets. I wouldn't expect anything like Planetside 2, however. More like a standard FPS map, I think.

legacyzero

Banned
Not all planets will have cities or even small settlements. The majority of planets you can visit probably won't be highly developed.

On planets/sectors not governed by the UEE or alien governments you will be able to use your weapons in space and on the ground.

The most common FPS combat will be on ship boarding actions. However, there will be FPS combat on a few handful of lawless planets. I wouldn't expect anything like Planetside 2, however. More like a standard FPS map, I think.

This is sounding good. I'm just apprehensive to contribute, until I know what I'm contributing to. The website doesn't give me the full width of what they're trying to do, or I'm not understanding it right.

XaeonBE

This is sounding good. I'm just apprehensive to contribute, until I know what I'm contributing to. The website doesn't give me the full width of what they're trying to do, or I'm not understanding it right.

Yeah the website needs a bit more work in my opinion too.

MrBig

Check the OP (and be sure to check post #3 as I hit the char limit and split it up). If you're still not sure but are interested, keep checking back. More and more of the game will be built and playable over the next year. Only thing to be wary of is getting an slot in the testing, but they'll be expanding the availability of slots as they're capable of doing so

Daedardus

Ahhh... Stargazing, looking out for the Oriniod meteor shower, and seeing a big one burning in the atmosphere really makes me want to have my own spaceship.

I'm born way too early, but at least star citizen can make up for it.

d0g_bear

Yeah, the website isn't doing a great job of telling a new potential customer exactly what the game is in a brief and clear way. It's more designed for existing customers to keep them abreast of news, events and discussions.

It's also fun to check out the list of stretch goals here. To be clear, they're not really stretch goals, but more announcements of features. The community is raising like one-two million a month right now so they will all easily be met.

Also I just increased my pledge from 40 to 45 dollars - I just really wanted that cool looking Legionairre. I guess the commercial worked on me ;)

d0g_bear

I think this is a decent summary: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/about-the-game

But I guess I have an easier time picturing the game, being familiar with other space sims.

That summary does a good job of explaining the in-fiction ship manufacturers, ship engineering, and the different packages you can buy. It doesn't explain that the planetside/walking around part of the game, drop-in co-op, dark souls-style PVP with PVP slider, the economy, boarding actions, space stations, capital ship mechanics and permadeath.

The game is a vast complicated design concept that hasn't really been done before so it really requires explanation. I see a lot of posts here and on other forums asking "what is this game?". CIG should address that confusion to attract more new customers.

XaeonBE

That summary does a good job of explaining the in-fiction ship manufacturers, ship engineering, and the different packages you can buy. It doesn't explain that the planetside/walking around part of the game, drop-in co-op, dark souls-style PVP with PVP slider, the economy, boarding actions, space stations, capital ship mechanics and permadeath.

The game is a vast complicated design concept that hasn't really been done before so it really requires explanation. I see a lot of posts here and on other forums asking "what is this game?". CIG should address that confusion to attract more new customers.

And with all the money they have it shouldn't be a problem xD

Zabojnik

I see a lot of posts here and on other forums asking "what is this game?". CIG should address that confusion to attract more new customers.

In my experience the majority of the people asking that question are peeps that don't even bother to watch the 10min video in the 'about the game' section of the website. Which by the way mentions co-op in Squadron 42 and touches upon many other features.

phoenixyz

I think the biggest reason for the lack of information on the website is not that they are to cheap or lazy to explain it but that most of the game does not exist yet. Most features are as of yet probably some notes on a whiteboard in one of their offices (or even just some vague thought in the head of the designers and The Robert) and in daily flux.

MrBig

I think the biggest reason for the lack of information on the website is not that they are to cheap or lazy to explain it but that most of the game does not exist yet. Most features are as of yet probably some notes on a whiteboard in one of their offices (or even just some vague thought in the head of the designers and The Robert) and in daily flux.

Yeah, we had a discussion about this before because the info in my op is necessarily vague. In the normal dev cycle they wouldn't be putting out much information until about a year from now. As they build out more and release more milestones we'll see where the game goes, and there's no need to buy in now for those that aren't sure they want to support the game with the current information.

Man I keep melting ships and buying different ones as I can't decide what I want my lineup to be. I went from just a Constellation at first, then added the Aurora LX, then a 350r, then melted the LX for an LN, then added an Avenger, then melted the 350r and Avenger for a Super Hornet, then asked to be put on the waiting list for the M50, now melted the Aurora LN for a 315p...

I think I'm good now though. The LN and Super Hornet coexisting was kind of unneeded as it gave me two small combat ships. The 315p gives me a small single person ship that's good for cargo and exploration, keeping all of my three current ships with their own role (Constellation's is "do whatever the hell needs done better than my smaller ships can handle on their own" be it cargo, exploration, or combat). If I get that M50 it'd have its own role as my pure racing ship, and personally I think it'll do better than the 350r in that role. The 350r is just a variant of a versatile hull at the end of the day while the M50 was purpose built for racing.

Man, I'm so psyched for this game.

Dead Man

I feel your pain :) I have 4 ships at the moment and want to consolidate, but without more detail about the Avenger I can't decide between keeping it or my 325. I have a LX I will melt as well, but that $25 isn't going to do much good without the 325 or Avenger getting melted as well.

1cmanny1

God, I really want a connie. If only I had a spare 200 dollars. Some of you seem to have numerous ships, I can take some off your hands if you want :p

Any news on the combat alpha yet? Wasn't it due out next month?

You know what would be fucking awesome? Cryptic treausre maps and directions taking you all over the galaxy, rewarding you with unique customisation options or credits. Obviosuly everyone would end up with them as there'd be FAQs online, but I'd love to do it on my own

You know what would be fucking awesome? Cryptic treausre maps and directions taking you all over the galaxy, rewarding you with unique customisation options or credits. Obviosuly everyone would end up with them as there'd be FAQs online, but I'd love to do it on my own
Allow player created treasure hunts and the fun never ends.

GKB

That's a lot of money.

HmZNMYh.jpg

p3tran

Banned
GAF. I'm looking for the perfect space game. I've never knew much about this game until just this week. I'm not understanding what this game is trying to be...........
Is this game what I'm looking for???

I understand that you were too young when this dude was breaking the boundaries and our minds over 20 years ago.
All i have too say is: lets make sure he is properly funded.

Letter from the Chairman - $25 Million

$27 Million Stretch Goal:

Banu Merchantman Unlocked – Banu traders are renowed for their merchant prowess, traveling the spacelanes and trading with everyone from humans to the Vanduul! Their sturdy, dedicated trading ships are prized beyond all other transports, sometimes passing from generation to generation of Banu. At $23 million we dedicated additional resources to making Xi’An spacecraft a unique experience. At $27 million, we will expand that same thinking to the Banu! Starting with the merchant ship, the design team will expand Banu technology to offer players a completely different way of experiencing their universe.

Hari Seldon

Holy shit, I haven't been following this game since backing the original kickstarter, that is insane that they are almost at 25 million. Literally insane.

MrBig

also of import

The tech team is already looking into the best way to make this happen! One immediate impact is that we can add 50,000 alpha slots to our test plan, which will be reflected on the site shortly. As usual, we are ready to unveil the ‘next next’ stretch goal, for the $27 million level. This is another goal that should interest everyone immediately because it allows us to expand the range of experiences you’re going to find in Star Citizen.

GAF. I'm looking for the perfect space game. I've never knew much about this game until just this week. I'm not understanding what this game is trying to be....

-I want to be on/run my own space cruiser.
-Have my own ship
-Discover space. Go wherever the fuck I want
-land on/live on strange worlds
-visit various planets.
etc

GAF, I LOVE SPACE. But every time I purchase a game, thinking that it'll scratch that itch, I get burned. Is this game what I'm looking for???

What space games did you try that you didn't like? Nobody really knows what Star Citizen is going to be like because it's two years off and Chris Roberts seems to be trying to appeal for every different kind of space fan.

I will say though, the first game that nails down exploring and immersion of Space Engine, it will be the game to end all games. Sadly, the only thing close was Infinity, but that's vaporware.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Is it just me or are the stretch goals more "Features we've already planned and are working on, we just haven't unveiled them yet"? So stretch goals more become "landmarks at which we'll unveil new gameplay features"

not that I'm complaining, just feels like it :D

Daedardus

Is it just me or are the stretch goals more "Features we've already planned and are working on, we just haven't unveiled them yet"? So stretch goals more become "landmarks at which we'll unveil new gameplay features"

They are juggling the free money and the feature creep.

MrBig

All of the stretch goals have pretty much just been a carrot on a stick since it became pretty clear that they would be getting all the money they would need to build out the game. Now the money is just being funneled into long term content support.

The only issue I see with this is that people will probably get angry/not understand that all the "stretch goal" content won't be available on "launch day" in 2015.

Zabojnik

The only issue I see with this is that people will probably get angry/not understand that all the "stretch goal" content won't be available on "launch day" in 2015.

People will get angry regardless. I can't recall a single MMO game shipping without balance problems / missing features / things that didn't work. Star Citizen won't be the exception, for all the alpha/beta testing and modular design. Nature of the beast. The sooner people make peace with this, the better.

Top Bottom