• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: Hangar Module

Daedardus

People will get angry regardless. I can't recall a single MMO game shipping without balance problems / missing features / things that didn't work. Star Citizen won't be the exception, for all the alpha/beta testing and modular design. Nature of the beast. The sooner people make peace with this, the better.

They already are angry. Thirsty pack of wolves, those forums are.

I was gonna say, people are most certainly already angry about every little thing. A big one right now is the cockpits and the Hornet's visibility (and the Freelancer's, but the Hornet sale has turned the focus of forum rage a bit). Despite them saying that they'll be evaluating visibility of all ships later (probably once the dogfighting alpha is actually out and more ships are implemented I imagine), and the Hornet having that big holoscreen for a HUD that will no doubt display the direction enemies are in along with the inevitable radar that pretty much all space games have to again show where hostiles are in relation to you. Some people really overstate the importance of actually seeing your enemies out the window when sensors can tell you the same information...

Pretty much anything you can think of SOMEONE is angry about. I guess that's just how the internet works, but it gets a little frustrating when I'm on the forums trying to help people and looking for actually meaningful discussion.

Daedardus

Pretty much anything you can think of SOMEONE is angry about. I guess that's just how the internet works, but it gets a little frustrating when I'm on the forums trying to help people and looking for actually meaningful discussion.

That's actually how the world works. The question just is: how many people are there that are not angry?

1cmanny1

Is it just me or are the stretch goals more "Features we've already planned and are working on, we just haven't unveiled them yet"? So stretch goals more become "landmarks at which we'll unveil new gameplay features"

not that I'm complaining, just feels like it :D

It has been like that for ages.

I was gonna say, people are most certainly already angry about every little thing. A big one right now is the cockpits and the Hornet's visibility (and the Freelancer's, but the Hornet sale has turned the focus of forum rage a bit). Despite them saying that they'll be evaluating visibility of all ships later (probably once the dogfighting alpha is actually out and more ships are implemented I imagine), and the Hornet having that big holoscreen for a HUD that will no doubt display the direction enemies are in along with the inevitable radar that pretty much all space games have to again show where hostiles are in relation to you. Some people really overstate the importance of actually seeing your enemies out the window when sensors can tell you the same information...

I don't know of any official game forums that isn't garbage. That being said, there's going to be a lot of ;_; if the game isn't *exactly* the way they envisioned it was supposed to be due to the sheer number of dollars being spent.

I don't know of any official game forums that isn't garbage. That being said, there's going to be a lot of ;_; if the game isn't *exactly* the way they envisioned it was supposed to be due to the sheer number of dollars being spent.

Oh I'm sure there will be, most people have overinflated expectations for what the game will be. They seem to think it's going to be God's gift to man in video game form, allowing them to do anything they can imagine and live their lives among the stars! Then there are those who think it's going to be DCS: Spaceship Edition with a simulation so complex that anyone short of an astrophysicist will be berated as a casual and told to leave. People are going to be in for a rude awakening...

Fortunately, I don't mind if the game falls short of what I want as even if just HALF of what they promise makes it into the game it'll still be awesome and perhaps the best space game ever.

Oh I'm sure there will be, most people have overinflated expectations for what the game will be. They seem to think it's going to be God's gift to man in video game form, allowing them to do anything they can imagine and live their lives among the stars! Then there are those who think it's going to be DCS: Spaceship Edition with a simulation so complex that anyone short of an astrophysicist will be berated as a casual and told to leave. People are going to be in for a rude awakening...

Fortunately, I don't mind if the game falls short of what I want as even if just HALF of what they promise makes it into the game it'll still be awesome and perhaps the best space game ever.

Those idiots had their chance.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1298800608/rogue-system

Has nothing to do with idiocy. I only found out about this game through Star Citizen, long after the kickstarter ended. It's not exactly easy to find kickstarter gems between all the "omgzors, give me all you moneys and i'll make a RPG-Shooter-Adventure-Simulation you all have been waiting for!".

The idiot remark is directed toward that niche group of SC backers that expect a similar control scheme, despite any evidence, not you.

Rogue System was not a KS gem; I backed the campaign and followed it. It was one man working in his spare moments. Even in that niche of SC players, I don't think the content would have been there unless it reached $1 million. He had plans for years of DLC that he wouldn't have been able to finance unless Rogue System was a breakaway success.

phoenixyz

Rogue System was not a KS gem; I backed the campaign and followed it. It was one man working in his spare moments. Even in that niche of SC players, I don't think the content would have been there unless it reached $1 million. He had plans for years of DLC that he wouldn't have been able to finance unless Rogue System was a breakaway success.
Well he's still working on it, trying to finish an alpha he can sell. The game (or the idea and the prototype he has shown) looks awesome and I can't really blame people for hoping that SC will incorporate at least some complexity into the simulation side of flying a space ship.

MrBig

Feels like the framerate is too low?

There's a bunch of factors at play there. Motion blur + wonky animation glitches + youtube compression and 30fps limit. There were millions of polys on screen at once so there were some dips but it was actually mostly 50-60.

Sentenza

Dude, I just want a respectable spiritual successor for X-Wing/Tie Fighter, Wing Commander or Freespace 2.

MrBig

All in jest, good sir.

I hope they add a few new features to the hangar soon. I don't know what, but I want to tinker around some more!

We'll probably get the firing range, some windows, and the asteroid hangar in the next month. Likely two months or more until we're doing any dogfighting.

A firing range would be cool - today's update on the site was for one of the arms manufacturers, I wonder if combined with that assault rifle model being finished they're paving the way for that.

Would be nice to have the Workbench actually do something as well, but I imagine that will be turned on when the dogfighting module hits.

I've really grown to like my discount hangar. At first it was too dark and dingy and I was somewhat envious of those who'd got a business version, but with the addition of the fishtank, the ambient sound effects and a couple of posters I think it's starting to get some character.

Dead Man

A firing range would be cool - today's update on the site was for one of the arms manufacturers, I wonder if combined with that assault rifle model being finished they're paving the way for that.

Would be nice to have the Workbench actually do something as well, but I imagine that will be turned on when the dogfighting module hits.

I've really grown to like my discount hangar. At first it was too dark and dingy and I was somewhat envious of those who'd got a business version, but with the addition of the fishtank, the ambient sound effects and a couple of posters I think it's starting to get some character.

Wish I still had a discount hanger, I love the feel of it.

epmode

the asteroid hangar for pirates looks to be just that judging from that concept art

Yep, hope we can downgrade after release.

The bigger ships literally don't fit in the discount hangar. We'll see how the asteroid hangar turns out.

I mentioned it earlier but I'd love something like the rebel base on Hoth (Star Wars).

EchoBase_Hangar1.jpg

Dead Man

The bigger ships literally don't fit in the discount hangar. We'll see how the asteroid hangar turns out.

I mentioned it earlier but I'd love something like the Star Wars rebel base on Hoth.

EchoBase_Hangar1.jpg

Yeah, I understand that, but there is nothing stopping them increasing the size of discount hangars. Hangar luxury and size should be disconnected from each other.

Edit: A Hoth hangar would be awesome.

CTLance

Frankly, like with the strong emphasis on windows and aerodynamics in ship design, Hangars are bothering me a tiny bit.

I'd be OK with an (off-screen, unvisitable) storage area, a holoputer to select your ship and loadout, and a heavy duty lift, akin to what connects current-day supercarrier Flight decks and Hangar bays (only steampunked/SciFi'd up a notch or two). Would seriously cut down on performance bottlenecks and keep "Hangar" size reasonable. In turn, they could allow for far greater customisation of the Flight deck area.

Plus, they could seriously amp up the revelation of whatever ship you choose. Think engines rumbling to life in the distance, alarm buzzers and warning lights everywhere, loud metal-on-metal grinding and pneumatics hissing, a computerized voice informing you to step back from the lift area, said area opening blast doors in the ground to the lift area below, the ship slowly rising up accompanied by clouds of steam/dust and grinding gear noises. Flood- and warning lights playing over the hull as it ascends. The ship reaches ground level and grinds to a halt, the blast doors shut below it, you are informed that your ship is now ready.

It would be pretty damn sexy and set the mood quite well, methinks.

Alternatives: Ship could come in from above, or the weapons loadout could be attached after arrival on the flight deck by humongous robotic arms from the ceiling and ground.

Then again, it would make the Buggy useless. Which would make me sad. I like the Greycat. Still hoping for the fanmade tracked variant to become available.

Daedardus

Plus, they could seriously amp up the revelation of whatever ship you choose. Think engines rumbling to life in the distance, alarm buzzers and warning lights everywhere, loud metal-on-metal grinding and pneumatics hissing, a computerized voice informing you to step back from the lift area, said area opening blast doors in the ground to the lift area below, the ship slowly rising up accompanied by clouds of steam/dust and grinding gear noises. Flood- and warning lights playing over the hull as it ascends. The ship reaches ground level and grinds to a halt, the blast doors shut below it, you are informed that your ship is now ready.

It would be pretty damn sexy and set the mood quite well, methinks.

In the space age that would be equivalent with you stroking your car, turning the keys dramatically, putting it in neutral gear and pumping the throttle, then putting on the handbrake and letting your wheels spin before driving off, each and every day you go to work.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
In the space age that would be equivalent with you stroking your car, turning the keys dramatically, putting it in neutral gear and pumping the throttle, then putting on the handbrake and letting your wheels spin before driving off, each and every day you go to work.

Well, I know what I'm doing tomorrow morning.

How many fps are you guys getting at the moment? Running 8x MSAA (if that's the right saying) on Very High makes me go from 55-65fps to 15-22fps. The game looks so much better with AA running though

CTLance

Yes, exactly. When my "work day" begins with me waking up in my jewel encrusted Deluxe villa, taking my custom-tuned space Benz for a spin around the Moon with Engines glowing white-hot sounds like an appropriate start. If you think I won't take the Origin 350R to fly the 200 meters to the breakfast subcomplex of my Hangar to snack on exotic and probably nearly extinct Xenos species prepared by equally endangered Alien chefs you have another thing coming.

I mean, that space Caviar ain't gonna eat itself. :D

On my lowly GTX 570 / overclocked i7-2600k I get 8-10fps with 8X MSAA on, 20-25 without. Le sigh.

You still planning to upgrade before the full game is released?

Out of interest, if I borrowed someone else's login details, would I essentially be able to start up the hangar module and see their stuff?

Zabojnik

Your CPU seems great though, just your GPU is underpowered for modern games at good settings.

I guess. Despite all the crap I've been giving Hitcher here for being a dirty console peasant, I'm actually not a very 'intensive' PC gamer. In that I only really care about a limited number of games I absolutely have to play on the PC, and most of them aren't very demanding. I'm looking forward to Project Eternity, Torment and Wasteland 2, all of which are old-school Kickstarter games that should run just fine on my machine. I couldn't care less about big budget first-person shooters, so ... The Witcher 3 will probably attempt to melt my GTX 570, but by then I'll have probably bought a PS4, which should carry me over through next year. So, yeah, I'm in no real hurry.

Jibbed

I guess. Despite all the crap I've been giving Hitcher here for being a dirty console peasant, I'm actually not a very 'intensive' PC gamer. In that I only really care about a limited number of games I absolutely have to play on the PC, and most of them aren't very demanding. I'm looking forward to Project Eternity, Torment and Wasteland 2, all of which are old-school Kickstarter games that should run just fine on my machine. I couldn't care less about big budget first-person shooters, so ... The Witcher 3 will probably attempt to melt my GTX 570, but by then I'll probably have already bought a PS4, which should carry me over through next year. So, yeah, I'm in no real hurry.

I've got a similar rig to you (560ti instead of a 570) and I'm pretty much in the same boat, I wouldn't bother upgrading anything other than your GPU for the next 2-3 years.

Daedardus

Yes, exactly. When my "work day" begins with me waking up in my jewel encrusted Deluxe villa, taking my custom-tuned space Benz for a spin around the Moon with Engines glowing white-hot sounds like an appropriate start.

Wait, that isn't your normal "work day"? Damn, what are you, poor?

Joking of course :)

By the time Star Citizen comes out, there will be all sorts of new tech around. I guess I will wait and see, as it stands I plan on getting a new PC probably mid next year.

Hopefully I'll be able to hold out until Haswell-E / DDR4 hits in late 2014.

Is that definitely going to be late 2014? I thought I'd read it was around the middle... possibly wishful thinking :p

Grief.exe

How many fps are you guys getting at the moment? Running 8x MSAA (if that's the right saying) on Very High makes me go from 55-65fps to 15-22fps. The game looks so much better with AA running though

On my lowly GTX 570 / overclocked i7-2600k I get 8-10fps with 8X MSAA on, 20-25 without. Le sigh.

Keep in mind optimization is usually one of the last parts of game development. Likely that set up would perform just fine when the game releases.

2014 is looking like a great year to upgrade though.

Zabojnik

Is that definitely going to be late 2014? I thought I'd read it was around the middle... possibly wishful thinking :p

No idea, most news outlets are reporting it should be out in Q3/Q4 2014, but I've also read it may not see the light of day before 2015. Who really knows.

At least wait for maxwell unless you need to upgrade for other games.

Well, my buddies want me to join them in Battlefield 4. The 770 looks like a great upgrade from the 570 for the price difference and it should be more than enough for current games. For my big PC upgrade at the end of next year I'm planning something much more expensive. Custom watercooling loop, SLI (if need be), top shelf processor ... Whatever it will take to run Star Citizen at 320fps, basically. :)

Share the wealth then :p

I only have the Hornet and the Avenger at the moment. You want to see the Stella and the Freelancer. :p I'm not sure sharing the username/pass is such a good idea in general, since it gives you full access to RSI's website and personal data. I'd probably wake up to an empty hangar with a hot steaming turd on the trophy stand as a 'thank you'.

Top Bottom