• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars |OT| I have a very good feeling about this...

Fj0823

Has this been posted?

J.J on the prequels

"I enjoy the prequels," he says. "I am a kid of the Seventies whose life was fundamentally impacted by the original films. And one of the reasons that I preferred the original trilogy was that it felt the characters were more everyman or everywoman characters. They felt scrappy and they felt real and lived in, and characters that were essentially nobodies who had to go up against some of the scariest and most intense villains of all time. That, for me, was inherently a more fun trilogy of stories. I felt that the use of technology, the use of design, the world-expanding that George did in the prequels is incredibly impressive. My favorite of the prequels is the third, which has some very powerful moments and some incredible imagery. But I know that when I went into doing The Force Awakens, my goal was to try and make a movie that felt like it was continuing from Return of the Jedi,which it is. As opposed to the significantly different aesthetic that George applied to the prequels, in his remarkable pushing of the boundaries of cinema."

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/...ed-about-star-wars-the-force-awakens-20151211

Sorry, should've clarified that I was referring to the movie (2008).

Subsequently, the show just didn't appeal to me.

Movie as well as a lot of season 1 was basically crap.
It has a huge jump after that and progressively better with each season to the point where some arcs are the best Star Wars media out there(by far).

Aiii

So not worth it
Is there already a Thread on OT side already, were people nail him on the cross for this statement?

For his tactful giving of respect while saying the prequel's weren't great movies that he sort of ignored while making this?

Somehow, I doubt it

GAMEPROFF

Banned
For his tactful giving of respect while saying the prequel's weren't great movies that he sort of ignored while making this?

Somehow, I doubt it
But he enjoyed them, that makes him a bad human beeing, at leasts that is what you can think when you accidently click on a random Prequel discussion.

Aiii

So not worth it
I think you'll find what he's saying underneath is pretty much what everyone in the world says, too. 1 and 2 are bad movies, 3 is okay.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
But he enjoyed them, that makes him a bad human beeing, at leasts that is what you can think when you accidently click on a random Prequel discussion.

I think you'll find what he's saying underneath is pretty much what everyone in the world says, too. 1 and 2 are bad movies, 3 is okay.

Yeah that quote is just code for 'I don't like the prequels, I'm taking everything from the OT'.

As a director of the new SW movie, it wouldn't be smart to be overtly critical of the prequels (=Lucas)

"remarkable pushing of the boundaries of cinema [in the prequels]" = "the prequels were a failed experiment"

dabig2

Yeah, he's also just being very nice and respectful. No reason to cast shade on a legend like Lucas, especially when you're now handling his property. Talk about burning bridges...

I'm watching TPM with commentary (the 2nd one that includes SFX guys) and it's always interesting to hear how the film was visualized and executed. Of course at this point most fans should know it includes lots of practical effects but having the type of effect pointed out can be eye opening.

For example during the pod race Lucas says that aside from Anakin, his pod, and the other humans, it's all digital and using miniutares would be impossible. Almost immediately John Knoll, I think it's him anyway, goes on to point out there are a fair bit of miniatures; parts of the valley, parts of a cave, the stadium. It was such a funny edit. Lucas doesn't even know what's what.

I was also surprised to learn that when R2 pops out of the Naboo royal starship and rolls down the ship to fix the shields at the beginning of the film he is completely CG.

And of course the naked C3PO uses a similar puppetry technique they would use for BB8. It's a great effect that required a lot work. They had to paint in between all the exposed holes and wires. And the exchange between him and R2 when they first meet is actually funny and perfectly establishes their relationship.

As far as JJ liking the prequels, I would hope so. Why commit to number 7 in the series if you don't appreciate all of it? The series baggage is what it is. If you are going to add to it, you should accept all of it. He's continuing after Jedi so really there isn't much from the prequels he has to use, he really just has to not contradict anything.

Quick

Banned
Well. It's no wonder then. I think the movie turned pretty much everyone off from the show, including me, initially.

I keep parading this trailer around ,lol, but have a look. It encompasses more or less every season:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06S3f_dGPdY

That was a pretty cool video. Lightsabers everywhere! Though, it's a little jarring having a scene from A New Hope juxtaposed with TCW.

I'm watching TPM with commentary (the 2nd one that includes SFX guys) and it's always interesting to hear how the film was visualized and executed. Of course at this point most fans should know it includes lots of practical effects but having the type of effect pointed out can be eye opening.

For example during the pod race Lucas says that aside from Anakin, his pod, and the other humans, it's all digital and using miniutares would be impossible. Almost immediately John Knoll, I think it's him anyway, goes on to point out there are a fair bit of miniatures; parts of the valley, parts of a cave, the stadium. It was such a funny edit. Lucas doesn't even know what's what.

I was also surprised to learn that when R2 pops out of the Naboo royal starship and rolls down the ship to fix the shields at the beginning of the film he is completely CG.

And of course the naked C3PO uses a similar puppetry technique they would use for BB8. It's a great effect that required a lot work. They had to paint in between all the exposed holes and wires. And the exchange between him and R2 when they first meet is actually funny and perfectly establishes their relationship.

As far as JJ liking the prequels, I would hope so. Why commit to number 7 in the series if you don't appreciate all of it? The series baggage is what it is. If you are going to add to it, you should accept all of it. He's continuing after Jedi so really there isn't much from the prequels he has to use, he really just has to not contradict anything.

I know naked Threepio was a puppet, but it still astounds me whenever I see it in action.

ShaneB

That was a pretty cool video. Lightsabers everywhere! Though, it's a little jarring having a scene from A New Hope juxtaposed with TCW.

You should really try and get through the bad stuff in TCW and know it really gets incredible. I was the same way, tried to watch it multiple times and finally it hooked and it's really great stuff. In my opinion the final arc of the show is far and away must watch stuff in relation to the entire series.

My introduction to Star Wars came with the THX VHS releases. Still have them with me right now, and then seeing the Special Editions in theatre not too long after.

Dressed up as Darth Maul to see Episode I (17 at the time in 99), in my small town I got to see the movie for free as they asked me to take peoples tickets. Looking back I wonder how I watched TPM 5 nights in a row, but got a little bit of pocket money and free food. So was good times. I enjoyed the prequels when released, but hard to rewatch them without a fan edit or something. Both Clone Wars and The Clone Wars series certainly make that PT stuff much more enjoyable.

Guess I'm just excited as hell for a real sequel after so long (I never really got into any EU stuff as my interests were always in a lot of other things too)

GAMEPROFF

Banned
4 Days
tumblr_me4kx1BSAD1rlapeio1_500.gif

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
With the dark/light side stuff Google has going on, I didn't know it applied to google maps as well: surprised to see a tie fighter as the car icon

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
I realised yesterday it was too close to merely have "days" on the widget on my phone's homescreen so I had to add more accuracy.

Right now I have:
2d 6h 44m 40s

Damn, I was reading that /Film interview of Kathleen Kennedy about the possible anthology SW movies. I just wish they would consider doing a movie set in the Old Republic era. I know the chances are extremely slim since the GL's prequels and the rebooted EU, but damn, imagine these large scale battles between Sith and Jedi we could have, some LotR epic stuff.

Friday at 4pm PST for me.

I realized today that we're pretty much hours away from getting the first impressions of the film.

We'll know very soon if this is TPM part deux or not.

Damn, I was reading that /Film interview of Kathleen Kennedy about the possible anthology SW movies. I just wish they would consider doing a movie set in the Old Republic era. I know the chances are extremely slim since the GL's prequels and the rebooted EU, but damn, imagine these large scale battles between Sith and Jedi we could have, some LotR epic stuff.

It's not outside the realm of possibility - we just need to give it time. LFL needs to reset the overall mood about Star Wars movies, and that's not going to happen until we're deep into this new cycle.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Upon rewatching Attack of the Clones it's by far the worst film, but at the same point has the most wasted opportunities. I'd argue half of this film is really fucking good. The action scenes, Obi's investigation, and the Clones Wars battle are legit.

The problem is the dialogue that was bad in episode 1 went to new levels of bad in all of the Padme Anakin love scenes. Plus Anakin's whole angsty teen saga in the middle over his mom.

I actually think for me personally the highs are even higher than the best parts of Revenge of the Sith (which I consider the best of the 3). Yet the lows are into the depths of the abyss.

Quick question.

Aftermath
Battlefront: Twilight Squadron
Dark Disciple
Heir to the Empire
or Kenobi?

Lost Stars :p

The more interesting stuff will drop after the movie comes out, then we'll see if the new centralized Disney Canon can really add something great to the new trilogy story arc.

Pachimari

I'm counting down every hour. 23 hours to go.

Look at me buying lots of merchandise after lol. I don't have a single Star Wars thing in my apartment. Maybe I should change that with The Force Awakens.

Interfectum

The more interesting stuff will drop after the movie comes out, then we'll see if the new centralized Disney Canon can really add something great to the new trilogy story arc.

That's what I figure too. The new books are really held back by not being able to spoil anything from the new trilogy. As these movies come out I think we'll see a lot cooler shit in the EU.

Went with Aftermath since it was only $15 and decided to save my credit for another SW book.
Holy shit did a certain character reference get me.

Call me crazy but im kinda starting to think Rae Sloane might
be related to Finn,
She is all over the place in the new canon apparently(2 books I read myself) and the way they keep emphasising her dark skin in each appearance just feels like getting hit over the head with that detail.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I want them to revisit the original Throne world of the empire at some point:

jedi5.jpg

This piece of art looks so great, I really want to explore that area more.

Top Bottom