• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars |OT| I have a very good feeling about this...

http://makingstarwars.net/2016/02/t...l-was-filmed-for-star-wars-the-force-awakens/

Very recently I had it confirmed for me that the Darth Vader versus Luke Skywalker on Bespin sequence was in fact reshot for Star Wars: The Force Awakens. The sequence was to happen when Rey enters the “Force-back” or flash back sequence at Maz’s Castle. Over the course of the production we heard rumors that there was an actor cast in the role as “Young Original Warrior.” The actor as Luke is still is not confirmed and neither is the person who played Darth Vader. In essence, we see Rey watch the fight from a new vantage point. It seems as if the Bespin pieces we see in the film was to be part of the set from which Rey watched the father and son duel.

Rootbeer

Banned
so the Freemaker show, while not canon is striving to be 'in continuity'

That being the case, I have to ask... the McGuffin here is a saber made entirely of kyber crystals. It has been broken into pieces and they are going to try to get all of the pieces to rebuild it.

Do we know of anything like that ever showing up in Star Wars before, be it in the old EU or what?

antonz

so the Freemaker show, while not canon is striving to be 'in continuity'

That being the case, I have to ask... the McGuffin here is a saber made entirely of kyber crystals. It has been broken into pieces and they are going to try to get all of the pieces to rebuild it.

Do we know of anything like that ever showing up in Star Wars before, be it in the old EU or what?

Doesn't really make any sense as the kyber crystal is the lense that focuses the energy into a blade. A blade made out of crystal would just be a normal sword basically. I mean the Death Star basically just has a giant Kyber crystal that focuses all the energy before firing

sphagnum

Banned
The last chapter of the Korean webcomic is out, much longer than usual to incorporate everything that was left in RotJ. http://webtoon.daum.net/webtoon/viewer/35428

Funny enough the author/illustrator through in a bunch of PT references with Anakin remembering Padme and various Jedi before he dies (Qui-Gon, Mace, Ki-Adi, Quinlan, Aayla, etc. but oddly enough not Ahsoka) but he purposefully didn't show Hayden Force ghost.

Rootbeer

Banned
Doesn't really make any sense [...]

I know, but maybe they will explain it convincingly. Most of what we know about the crystals is about their properties when focusing energy through them. But they are 'force attuned' crystals and that can be interpreted in a lot of ways. I'm curious to see where they are going with it. It does seem funny, but it is a show for kids so...

Something else that's funny, the way Palbo Hidalgo keeps replying to people on twitter who are asking if the new LEGO show is canon...

dec0e7b2a374342982969c613c1df85e.png

Whats the church of the force?

Max Von Sydow's character Lor San Tekka was a follower. IIRC they're people who worshipped the Force (including the Jedi), despite not being able to use the Force.

Some interesting stuff - apparently the Church of the Force and the Imperial Palace being the repurposed Jedi Temple were ideas straight from George himself. http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...ne-source-list.50019912/page-50#post-53289064

A surprise. Cheers for posting.

I've always liked the idea of Palpatine converting the Jedi Temple into his own palace. Definitely seems in character.

Looks like the iTunes release of Star Wars: The Force Awakens is coming on Tuesday March 15th. This comes from Blu-ray.com which has always been a accurate site for released dates. With the film being released that day digitally, it makes sense for the film to have a April 5th release date for the Blu-Ray. I would imagine Amazon Instant Video and Google Play will also get the film on March 15th

http://makingstarwars.net/2016/02/star-wars-the-force-awakens-to-hit-itunes-on-march-15th/

Anth0ny

Potentially huge news: Mike Verta says he will screen his Legacy restoration of Star Wars to Disney/Fox executives later this year. In case you aren't aware of what Legacy is, it's basically a perfect 4K restoration of Star Wars by one dude (Mike Verta). He used to/still does work in the film industry, has access to amazing tools and also has access to a bunch of Star Wars prints, including a technicolor print.

Here's a comparison between a Legacy restoration shot and the blu ray

From what I recall, Verta's intentions with the remaster was never to be released publicly like the Despecialized editions, but instead used for an official release should it ever be needed. That time might be now :)

Potentially huge news: Mike Verta says he will screen his Legacy restoration of Star Wars to Disney/Fox executives later this year. In case you aren't aware of what Legacy is, it's basically a perfect 4K restoration of Star Wars by one dude (Mike Verta). He used to/still does work in the film industry, has access to amazing tools and also has access to a bunch of Star Wars prints, including a technicolor print.

Here's a comparison between a Legacy restoration shot and the blu ray

From what I recall, Verta's intentions with the remaster was never to be released publicly like the Despecialized editions, but instead used for an official release should it ever be needed. That time might be now :)

Nice, hopefully this goes somewhere. I want to finally be able to own some of my favourite films of all time without the BS alterations.

Looks like TFA Blu-Ray will have seven or eight deleted scenes.

The Swedish website CDON also has a list of the special features we might get with the film. Lucasfilm should be announcing the Blu-Ray release date soon.

Secrets Of The Force Awakens: A Cinematic Journey
• The Story Awakens: The Table Read
• Building BB-8
• Crafting Creatures
• Blueprint of a Battle: The Snow Fight
• The Visual Magic Of The Force
• John Williams: The Seventh Symphony
• Deleted Scenes
• Force For Change

Meowster

What is the overall consensus for The Force Awakens novelization? Just ordered it. I've read the rest of the novelizations (particularly remember Revenge of the Sith, Empire Strikes Back, and A New Hope being great adaptations) so I thought I might as well pick it up for consistency reasons. Plus the movie was great so.

What is the overall consensus for The Force Awakens novelization? Just ordered it. I've read the rest of the novelizations (particularly remember Revenge of the Sith, Empire Strikes Back, and A New Hope being great adaptations) so I thought I might as well pick it up for consistency reasons. Plus the movie was great so.

I enjoyed it. It's easier to read and follows the movie closer than the prequel novelizations did. It was over pretty quick, and I paid $30 bucks for it from a local store, so I don't know if it really was worth it, but I also enjoyed the movie a lot (saw it twice)...so I might re-read it sometime.

sphagnum

Banned
Totally the story I was waiting for...

Did anyone in the UK happen to pick up Adventures in Wild Space: The Escape? I'm annoyed that it's not being released over here, as far as we know, but is a UK exclusive. Kind of annoying for a canon story to only be released in one place. Maybe we'll get it in the future like we did with the Korean webcomic.

Speaking of which, today is the last update of the webcomic, and since the story actually finished last week it looks like the author just posted a bunch of sketches and art from other artists. I liked this one.

lLBsr80.png

Totally the story I was waiting for...

Did anyone in the UK happen to pick up Adventures in Wild Space: The Escape? I'm annoyed that it's not being released over here, as far as we know, but is a UK exclusive. Kind of annoying for a canon story to only be released in one place. Maybe we'll get it in the future like we did with the Korean webcomic.

Oh, is that the World Book Day book? I was shopping in Tesco today and saw it for £1.

Found it.

sphagnum

Banned
I'll pick up a copy and report back.

Cool, thanks. Hope it shows up here at some point.

EvilRedEye said:
Is Adventures in Wild Space canon then? I thought the UK exclusivity meant it might not be.

Unless something is branded with Legends or explicitly stated to be in its own universe like TOR, it's canon. We had no idea for a long time that the Korean webtoon or the Rebels European comics would be coming out in the US and there was some debate over those as well, but those are firmly within the canon sphere (well, the Korean comic is "gray canon" since it's an adaption, but the Rebels comic actually has tied into the show and the Marvel Star Wars Annual).

Top Bottom