• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars |OT| I have a very good feeling about this...

The opening crawl in the first Star Wars film is very different from Lucas' original intention. The original text, used in the rough cut he showed to friends and studio executives in February 1977, appears in the Marvel Comics adaptation of the film.[5] When originally released in May 1977, the first film was simply titled Star Wars, as 20th Century Fox forbade Lucas to use a subtitle because it could be confusing, since there had been no other Star Wars movies prior to 1977.[1][4] In addition, it was not certain if the film would be followed with a sequel. When The Empire Strikes Back was released in 1980, the subtitle "THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK" appeared as the first two lines of the opening crawl. To match its sequel's crawl, the subtitle "A NEW HOPE" was added for the film's theatrical re-release in April 1981.[6] The original version, without the subtitle, was not released again until the 2006 limited edition DVDs.

Found this bit on Wikipedia. Does anyone have the original opening crawl as released in the Marvel Comics adaptation?

I couldn't find it on Google.

Found this bit on Wikipedia. Does anyone have the original opening crawl as released in the Marvel Comics adaptation?

I couldn't find it on Google.

This is it.

star-wars-001-01-102846.jpg

DrSlek

Posted in one of the other 8 million Star Wars threads, but here's our first clip from the movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKXc4cqab4k

I'm a little late, but I really didn't enjoy that dialogue. Specifically the back and forth over their need of a pilot. When Rey says "We've got a pilot" and is then silent when Finn asks if she's referring to herself.
It just doesn't sit right with me that the writers/JJ feels a situation where they are running for their lives is a time to be mysterious about Rey's ability to pilot the craft that may save their lives.

For me, Rey simply replying "I'm a pilot, now lets go!" would have been a far more efficient transmission of information to the audience and a great deal more appropriate to the scene.

Boke1879

I'm a little late, but I really didn't enjoy that dialogue. Specifically the back and forth over their need of a pilot. When Rey says "We've got a pilot" and is then silent when Finn asks if she's referring to herself.
It just doesn't sit right with me that the writers/JJ feels a situation where they are running for their lives is a time to be mysterious about Rey's ability to pilot the craft that may save their lives.

For me, Rey simply replying "I'm a pilot, now lets go!" would have been a far more efficient transmission of information to the audience and a great deal more appropriate to the scene.

Eh I like it actually. Gives them a bit of personality in a time of great stress. And I think the audience is smart enough to assume she would be the pilot considering it's both of them talking.

It's just another way of delivering the same info. Rey comes off as a bit of a smartass here. It's good. Gives us some insight into her personality.

Simo

I'd like to think it's more about Hamill stepping out and being part of the PR, like the Force for Change videos and promotional stuff like that and not revealing anything of Luke via stills or footage.

I see on Twitter Devin and Steve from Collider are going nuts because they got their premiere invites for December 14th!

curb

Banned
Force Awakens media blackout (well, as much as possible) in full force for me now no pun intended. I haven't watched anything since the international trailer and I hope to manage to keep it that way. The next three weeks of waiting are going to be rough.

Eh I like it actually. Gives them a bit of personality in a time of great stress. And I think the audience is smart enough to assume she would be the pilot considering it's both of them talking.
Also everyone to ever exist in the Star Wars Universe is a pilot. Except maybe Jar Jar. I don't remember if he ever piloted in the Clone Wars

Bronx-Man

Banned
Uh guys, I just downloaded the Galaxy of Heroes game for Android and one of the characters you can unlock is HK-47.

Is.....is there hope?

Even JJ doesn't know where Luke is.

Seems Making Star Wars have heard they might be revealing Luke before the film. I'd be very surprised if they did. What's the point in delaying it for so long if you're still going to show him now?

It is not a spoiler, but I am being careful:

There has been an unfortunate photo leak of him somewhere, that's why I think they would want to go ahead and release something about him.

With each new trailer we're getting new footage and yet we're not seeing a hell of a lot. I can't stop myself watching it all and I'm thankful I did, finally getting some Poe action!

With each new trailer we're getting new footage and yet we're not seeing a hell of a lot. I can't stop myself watching it all and I'm thankful I did, finally getting some Poe action!

So true, there is nothing on the story, we got to see some amazing things at each tv spot thinking there is no more surprises and then another one comes out and blow our mind. I feel pretty confident that Disney is doing an amazing job marketing it without showing everything. Personally I never watch any trailers when a movie interest me, but this is SW, this is not like any movie, I need this hype.

For reminder, this is an interview of JJ where he talks a little about the marketing campaign of SW and how Disney really wants people to enjoy a new experience without spoilers: http://www.wired.com/2015/11/star-wars-force-awakens-jj-abrams-interview/

It's all about finding the right balance to make sure people will enjoy the ride through december
16 ;p

Seems Empire have got an updated star map in their Star Wars issue. I'm picking my copy up tomorrow so I haven't seen it yet.

From the placement of Starkiller Base, it seems the overriding theory is that it could be based on Ilum. If you've watched the Clone Wars you'll know that's where Jedi padawans get their kyber crystals....

So true, there is nothing on the story, we got to see some amazing things at each tv spot thinking there is no more surprises and then another one comes out and blow our mind. I feel pretty confident that Disney is doing an amazing job marketing it without showing everything. Personally I never watch any trailers when a movie interest me, but this is SW, this is not like any movie, I need this hype.

For reminder, this is an interview of JJ where he talks a little about the marketing campaign of SW and how Disney really wants people to enjoy a new experience without spoilers: http://www.wired.com/2015/11/star-wars-force-awakens-jj-abrams-interview/

It's all about finding the right balance to make sure people will enjoy the ride through december
16 ;p

You're right about this being not like any other movie. Star Wars is a totally different beast.

I've really enjoyed their marketing. They know which buttons to push for us older fans and even which ones for the younger generations.

Amazon France has the soundtrack listing. There's a few hints as to what occurs and the order but no outright spoilers like Qui-Gon's Noble End. I'll spoiler tag them anyway.

1. Main Title and the Attack on the Jakku Village
2. The Scavenger
3. I Can Fly Anything
4. Rey Meets BB-8
5. Follow Me
6. Rey’s Theme
7. The Falcon
8. That Girl with the Staff
9. The Rathtars!
10. Finn’s Confession
11. Maz’s Counsel
12. The Starkiller
13. Kylo Ren Arrives at the Battle
14. The Abduction
15. Han and Leia
16. March of the Resistance
17. Snoke
18. On the Inside
19. Torn Apart
20. The Ways of the Force
21. Scherzo for X-Wings
22. Farewell and the Trip
23. The Jedi Steps and Finale

http://makingstarwars.net/2015/11/star-wars-the-force-awakens-soundtrack-listing-from-france/

Rootbeer

Banned
I've wondered that too. Honesty as much as I don't like it I think a delay is very possible. Getting one SW film per year is already crazy for a long time fan such as myself, but two in six months is tempting fate!

Yeah, but I can see there being much less anticipation if we're getting a new numbered entry in the series every other year as opposed to decade(s) apart.

I think it will all depends on what this movie will deliver and what big story arcs it will develop. JJ and Kasdan having already laid out the great lines for the next episodes, there is good chances the hype will be there.

I'm really interested in how they are going to market the next bunch of movies. I feel TFA was going to be easier to market for them. Showing the old cast, talking about how they are going practical effects and doing the opposite to what people disliked from the prequels etc.

I'm really interested in how they are going to market the next bunch of movies. I feel TFA was going to be easier to market for them. Showing the old cast, talking about how they are going practical effects and doing the opposite to what people disliked from the prequels etc.

It's Star Wars. It markets itself. They could spend minimal amounts on advertising and theaters will still be packed. The interesting point will come in a few years when the novelty of new Star Wars every year wears off. Then we'll see if attendance takes a hit.

Cheebo

Banned

Getting everyone to TFA and hope they like it. Then they will be pre-sold on seeing what happens to this new group of heroes in Episode 8 and 9.

Episode 7 is the first film in a 3-act story. If you go to see it and like it you'll want to see how the story finishes. This isn't like most franchises like super hero movies or James Bond with the plot lines are mostly self-contained. TFA is just the first 1/3 of a single story.

I've wondered that too. Honesty as much as I don't like it I think a delay is very possible. Getting one SW film per year is already crazy for a long time fan such as myself, but two in six months is tempting fate!

Lucasfilm has gone on record on wanting to get back to the May yearly schedule not the December one. It makes no sense to move it to December when they want to get off the December time frame. Avatar is scheduled for December 2017 lets not forget.

Yeah I know Star Wars markets itself but the marketing power they've had with TFA has been totally different. I can't wait to see how they handle Rogue One.

Seems Empire have got an updated star map in their Star Wars issue. I'm picking my copy up tomorrow so I haven't seen it yet.

From the placement of Starkiller Base, it seems the overriding theory is that it could be based on Ilum. If you've watched the Clone Wars you'll know that's where Jedi padawans get their kyber crystals....
I want that. I love maps, so Star Wars maps are even better. To bad Ive never seen that in a US store.

Whats if this is no coincident? What if...
Starkiller based was tested on Kamino to whipe out the last remaining pieces of the clones?

I can't see what the First Order's motivation for doing that would be, but I suppose it's possible. It's more likely they've just missed a few planets from the map.

JJ's also confirmed in Empire what the relationship between Kylo and Snoke is.

He was critical in the seduction of Ren to the dark side. He is a hugely important part of the story and will continue to be.

First shot of what Making Star Wars think is D'Qar. It's from another TV spot.

Screen-Shot-2015-11-27-at-9.32.59-AM.png

Zeus7

I can't see what the First Order's motivation for doing that would be, but I suppose it's possible. It's more likely they've just missed a few planets from the map.

JJ's also confirmed in Empire what the relationship between Kylo and Snoke is.

First shot of what Making Star Wars think is D'Qar. It's from another TV spot.

Screen-Shot-2015-11-27-at-9.32.59-AM.png

Can someone link me to this TV spot please.

Top Bottom