• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars |OT| I have a very good feeling about this...

This is very promising. From the Empire interview
“When you look at Star Wars and Empire, they are very different lightsaber battles, but for me they felt more powerful because they were not quite as slick. I was hoping to go for something much more primitive, aggressive and rougher, a throwback to the kind of heart-stopping lightsaber fights I remembered being so enthralled by as a kid.”

Meowster

The new Campbell Star Wars ad with the gay parents. I'm appreciating all this newfound representation.
yCdAIHm.gif

sphagnum

Banned
The new The Story Before The Force Awakens chapter came out yesterday, covers Luke arriving at Jabba's palace and a severely truncated rancor fight. Nothing additional in it though.

To be fair, it was 1999 and a movie pioneering the technique. It looks better than Godzilla for sure.

Clones is even worse. I'm doing the same thing and I can't believe how poorly these movies have aged. Especially on Blu ray. And I'm someone who loved the prequels simply as gorgeous world building exercises, but now every frame has something that takes you of it; a weird composite of live action, cg textures that just don't capture the light right....its...no Bueno.

Glass

Man, that Harrison Ford interview in the new Empire is super arkward to read, glad I wasn't there to watch it. It's clear Ford is just matter of fact about the film as a normal job and the interviewer just keeps asking these gushing questions.

Gonna finish up Clone Wars tonight and tomorrow. Then I'm gonna watch Episode 3. Where is the best place to watch Rebels? Free options? Amazon has the blu Ray set for $33. Is Season 2 finished? Best place to catch up there?

Fj0823

Gonna finish up Clone Wars tonight and tomorrow. Then I'm gonna watch Episode 3. Where is the best place to watch Rebels? Free options? Amazon has the blu Ray set for $33. Is Season 2 finished? Best place to catch up there?

I believe Disney XD website has the series up to the latest episode.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Man some of the last Clone Wars arcs I watched were good shit. I loved
Obi-Wan undercover, with the Cube homage episode
That has to be one of my favorite episodes up until now. The conclusion to that arc was pretty smart as well, with it all
leading to a better 'dark side Anakin' moment than anything in the prequels. Pretty great how it was all just a fake-out and ruse to test him.

I love how the second half of the (4th) season focuses on the bounty hunters and Ventress. Probably gonna start s5 tomorrow.

If only the prequels could be completely redone by the Clone Wars team, they understand and handle everything so much better.

Gandie

Just reserved my tickets in Cologne. Seeing it on Saturday with a Laser projector (never heard of it) 3D and in Atmos. Excited about Atmos especially. My cinema is showing it 19 times on Thursday, crazy times.

MattyG

Banned
Just grabbed Battlefront Twilight Company and the Marvel ROTJ hardcover.

I need to start actually reading some of these at some point.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Figure I might as well ask this here, but is there any good Star Wars Saga (not-so-spoilery) trailer out there in YT/Vimeo?

I'm organizing a marathon next weekend and I figured the 2 or 3 people coming who haven't seen them would need something for their expectations.
The ones I've seen so far - even the official ones - are pretty dank.

Jigolo

Just watched IV, V, and VI for the first time, great set of films. I'm watching the Blu-Ray releases and was wondering if the last scene in VI was added in. Anakin Skywalker spirit looked like the same actor from I, II, III (from what I remember seeing in trailers, never actually seen the movies).

Now I'm going to watch the prequels. I have feint memories of watching one of them where I think Anakin is a kid and is racing on one of those jet things but overall I virtually can't recall anything from these so it's kinda like my first time watching them. Should be fun

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Just watched IV, V, and VI for the first time, great set of films. I'm watching the Blu-Ray releases and was wondering if the last scene in VI was added in. Anakin Skywalker spirit looked like the same actor from I, II, III (from what I remember seeing in trailers, never actually seen the movies).

It's been heavily modified throughout the years

e.g.

Fj0823

Now I'm going to watch the prequels. I have feint memories of watching one of them where I think Anakin is a kid and is racing on one of those jet things but overall I virtually can't recall anything from these so it's kinda like my first time watching them. Should be fun

Yep newer editions have some changes to flow better with the old (and new?) trilogy and its events.

As for the prequels. Adjust your expectations as they're not nearly as good. But they're still a lot of fun and memorable moments for me.

If only the prequels could be completely redone by the Clone Wars team, they understand and handle everything so much better.

I guess this needs to be said every now and then, but George Lucas was heavily involved in the Clone Wars. If you watch any of the special features, GL is all over them. So much of the story and arcs comes from him and they would have story meetings with him often (not to mention the money he poured into it). He ultimately had approval of the whole series. In many ways Clone Wars is the Star Wars Lucas always wanted to make.

But yes, the Clone Wars team was incredible. If I was to choose the heir to Star Wars it would Dave Filoni. No one has a greater insight into Lucas' mind than him. He worked so closely with GL on Clone Wars.

Sayers

Man some of the last Clone Wars arcs I watched were good shit. I loved
Obi-Wan undercover, with the Cube homage episode
That has to be one of my favorite episodes up until now. The conclusion to that arc was pretty smart as well, with it all
leading to a better 'dark side Anakin' moment than anything in the prequels. Pretty great how it was all just a fake-out and ruse to test him.

I love how the second half of the (4th) season focuses on the bounty hunters and Ventress. Probably gonna start s5 tomorrow.

Prepare yourself because:
Holy shit the last episode of season 5 of Clone Wars. Wow that was powerful stuff
One of the best moments in Star Wars. Period.

MattyG

Banned
I'm still trying to power my way through S2 of Clone Wars to get to the good stuff. It's definitely better than S1 (I'm loving the Cad Bane stuff), but I know it still gets way better.

Edit: Woooooooooow this Geonosis episode is so good.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I guess this needs to be said every now and then, but George Lucas was heavily involved in the Clone Wars. If you watch any of the special features, GL is all over them. So much of the story and arcs comes from him and they would have story meetings with him often (not to mention the money he poured into it). He ultimately had approval of the whole series. In many ways Clone Wars is the Star Wars Lucas always wanted to make.

But yes, the Clone Wars team was incredible. If I was to choose the heir to Star Wars it would Dave Filoni. No one has a greater insight into Lucas' mind than him. He worked so closely with GL on Clone Wars.

Oh, I should've clarified that then, because I know he was heavily involved. I've watched and loved every making of feature. When I said Clone Wars team, I was actually including him :) I'm pretty sure I touched upon this in an earlier post in this thread: it really made me realize that Lucas is at his best in this role. An overall showrunner that offers tons of ideas and has to approve everything, but gives his team a lot of freedom in the creative process.

Watching these eps and the docs makes the prequels all the more tragic actually, because it didn't work that way in those movies. I always got the idea he was operating more on his own there, without getting feedback or being challenged.

And yes, Filoni is amazing. I love hearing him talk about anything in the series. He knows what Lucas wants, but he's also out to please the fans. I'm so glad to see he's the lead on Rebels as well.

I'm now early in s5 already and once again I get the feeling that the animation has improved even more. Those cloth physics man, goddamn. The Onderon arc felt like a feature film to me, just insane polish.

Now at the youngling arc which is also pretty amazing.
A Wookiee kid as a jedi... adorable.
Probably dropping Fallout 4 for today to marathon the rest of the season instead.

Simo

Just saw a Facebook ad from Verizon about a "Jakku Spy" VR mission available Wednesday but no other details other than you can experience it in Verizon stores if you can't do the VR viewer.

JimiNutz

Banned
I'm about to go on holiday so picked up Lost Stars and Battlefront: Twilight Company.
I know Lost Stars is supposed to be really good but any opinions on Twilight Company?

I'm loving the Battlefront game at the moment so hopefully the book is decent as well?

Any opinions on which I should read first? Was thinking Battlefront first as Lost Stars is supposed to be better - save the better one for last?

I'm about to go on holiday so picked up Lost Stars and Battlefront: Twilight Company.
I know Lost Stars is supposed to be really good but any opinions on Twilight Company?

I'm loving the Battlefront game at the moment so hopefully the book is decent as well?

Any opinions on which I should read first? Was thinking Battlefront first as Lost Stars is supposed to be better - save the better one for last?

I haven't started Twilight Company yet but I've heard some good things.

sphagnum

Banned

I really liked Twilight Company, but it's much more grim than Lost Stars. It's a very hard ass kind of book, full of burnt out husks of soldiers, hard drinkers, showing the dirtier side of the Rebellion. Lost Stars is more cheesy and melodramatic, since it's a pure space operatic young adult romance novel, but it's so obvious that the author loves what she's doing that it plays really well.

I guess it just comes down to what kind of mood you're in.

Anyway, the Tales from a Galaxy Far, Far Away short stories are out today in digital format. I just finished reading The Crimson Corsair and the Lost Treasure of Count Dooku and thought it was pretty good. The lost treasure turns out to be (BIG SPOILERS FOR THE STORY)
Kix, from TCW! He investigated Fives' ramblings and found out that they were true, but the Separatists somehow found out and kidnapped him in cryo-stasis. Dooku ordered that he be transported to him for interrogation and that the crew of the ship do everything possible to keep him from falling into the Republic's hands, but the ship came under attack and fled into hyperspace, crashing on the desert world of Ponemah. Over the course of the decades, rumors grew about the ship in the underworld as the "lost treasure of Count Dooku" and so pirates and brigands have been searching for it, and most of the story revolves around the Crimson Corsair from TFA's crew battling with other scoundrels to find it. They're disappointed initially when they find out that the secret cargo is actually just some clonetrooper, but after they wake him up they determine that they can use his knowledge to hunt down old Separatist facilities and pillage them for riches.

I also liked the little quote from the "Book of Hondo" at the beginning.

Top Bottom