• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars |OT| I have a very good feeling about this...

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Finished Clone Wars s5 last night. The final arc of that season would've been a perfect series finale if they didn't have dangling threads like
Maul being a Sidious slave.
That was one of the best arcs they had done, because it serves as a perfect intro to Revenge of the Sith. It actually made me hate most of the jedi council. Suddenly they
reject a promising padawan and immediately assume the worst. Outside of Anakin no one in the council lifted a finger to prove her innocence... when all they had to do was interrogate the last person she had contact with. Great arc because they achieved a lot in few eps: bridge the gap to RotS, nudge Anakin closer to the dark side, and provide Ahsoka with an exit from the order.

I'm getting the br's of s6 and Rebels s1 soon. Season order so far: 2 > 4 > 5 > 3 > 1. Two is at the top because to me it really is the most consistent season with mostly good to great arcs (Geonosis, Holocron, Zillobeast, Deatwatch and Death Trap).

s5 had great arcs near the end but the first half isn't that great. Plus the droid arc dragged on too long and should've been only 2 eps.

sphagnum

Banned
I'm getting the br's of s6 and Rebels s1 soon. Season order so far: 2 > 4 > 5 > 3 > 1. Two is at the top because to me it really is the most consistent season with mostly good to great arcs (Geonosis, Holocron, Zillobeast, Deatwatch and Death Trap).

I agree with this ordering to a T. I don't know why so many people like season 3 - to me the Opress and Nightsisters stuff was rather dull. I've always assumed it's because of the budget bump making things look prettier to some extent.

Season 2 is definitely the most consistently enjoyable of the first five, but my personal favorite season is 6.

Sayers

Finished Clone Wars s5 last night. The final arc of that season would've been a perfect series finale if they didn't have dangling threads like

You have to remember that the show was cancelled very suddenly after the Disney acquisition. Filoni said he had plans for Barriss and he probably had plans for Maul as well.

Also, how much do you know about Rebels going in? I'm hoping some of the big moments at the end of Season 1 haven't been spoiled for you.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Does anyone listen to star wars audiobooks? Any recommendations? Canon if possible as im trying to ramp up for FA.

antonz

You have to remember that the show was cancelled very suddenly after the Disney acquisition. Filoni said he had plans for Barriss and he probably had plans for Maul as well.

Also, how much do you know about Rebels going in? I'm hoping some of the big moments at the end of Season 1 haven't been spoiled for you.

It was planned for Clone Wars going 8 seasons. Disney really robbed a lot of cool potential. Was going to end tying directly into Episode 3 for a smooth transition

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup

I know. Really sucks that the show got axed that way.

What I know about Rebels is that
Ahsoka's in it. I accidently read she's a hidden informant at first or something.

But that's about it.

Zeus7

I have finished reading Lost Stars, what an amazing book, I enjoyed it so much. For anyone who has not read it please consider it.

I am away to start Weapon of a Jedi, I hope I am not disappointed, I have put off reading Aftermath until last due to the reviews I have read.

They continued Maul's story in the comic mini-series Darth Maul - Son of Dathomir. It's, I believe, the only Dark Horse release that is still Canon. It's based off of scripts for un-produced episodes of The Clone Wars after the Disney acquisition. It's been some time since I read it; but I believe it wraps up his story.

JimiNutz

Banned
I really liked Twilight Company, but it's much more grim than Lost Stars. It's a very hard ass kind of book, full of burnt out husks of soldiers, hard drinkers, showing the dirtier side of the Rebellion. Lost Stars is more cheesy and melodramatic, since it's a pure space operatic young adult romance novel, but it's so obvious that the author loves what she's doing that it plays really well.

I guess it just comes down to what kind of mood you're in.

Thanks for the impressions.
I'm really enjoying the Battlefront game at the moment and am gonna miss it when on holiday so I think I'll start with that.

Just finished all of Clone Wars. Six was a great short season. Bittersweet ending knowing the show ended before they wanted it to. But, a fitting end.

Does anyone listen to star wars audiobooks? Any recommendations? Canon if possible as im trying to ramp up for FA.
I've listened to all the canon Audiobooks (except junior novels, not enough content for the price), and would recommend them all. I didn't like the reader for Lost Stars at first, but he quickly grew on me. Dark Disciple sounded like it had the Clone Wars Anakin voice actor in it, maybe Obi-Wan too, I don't remember. I think Lost Stars and Aftermath were the best ones.
The C-3PO comic has been pushed back to February 24th (and yes, it is a one-shot).
I was really excited about this, but then I realized C-3PO had a Silver leg, that somehow all my life I had never noticed. Now that is all I want to know about.

Gravidee

I really liked Twilight Company, but it's much more grim than Lost Stars. It's a very hard ass kind of book, full of burnt out husks of soldiers, hard drinkers, showing the dirtier side of the Rebellion. Lost Stars is more cheesy and melodramatic, since it's a pure space operatic young adult romance novel, but it's so obvious that the author loves what she's doing that it plays really well.

I guess it just comes down to what kind of mood you're in.

Anyway, the Tales from a Galaxy Far, Far Away short stories are out today in digital format. I just finished reading The Crimson Corsair and the Lost Treasure of Count Dooku and thought it was pretty good. The lost treasure turns out to be (BIG SPOILERS FOR THE STORY)
Kix, from TCW! He investigated Fives' ramblings and found out that they were true, but the Separatists somehow found out and kidnapped him in cryo-stasis. Dooku ordered that he be transported to him for interrogation and that the crew of the ship do everything possible to keep him from falling into the Republic's hands, but the ship came under attack and fled into hyperspace, crashing on the desert world of Ponemah. Over the course of the decades, rumors grew about the ship in the underworld as the "lost treasure of Count Dooku" and so pirates and brigands have been searching for it, and most of the story revolves around the Crimson Corsair from TFA's crew battling with other scoundrels to find it. They're disappointed initially when they find out that the secret cargo is actually just some clonetrooper, but after they wake him up they determine that they can use his knowledge to hunt down old Separatist facilities and pillage them for riches.

I also liked the little quote from the "Book of Hondo" at the beginning.

Wow! That's insane.
Definitely not what I would expect the treasure to be. When exactly does this story take place? And the fact that characters can be put into cryo-stasis like that means that others could potentially "time travel" in that way without getting old.

sphagnum

Banned
Wow! That's insane.
Definitely not what I would expect the treasure to be.
When exactly does this story take place?
And the fact that characters can be put into cryo-stasis like that means that others could potentially "time travel" in that way without getting old.

There's no timeframe given for it other than "Several decades and quite a few wars later...", which in itself is an interesting statement and I think points to a very fragmented galaxy post-RotJ, much like in Legends.

If it takes place shortly before TFA around 30 years since RotJ, then that would mean
Kix is probably the last clonetrooper left. Since Sergeant Torrent in Smuggler's Run is likely from the last batch of clones created and he appears to be around 40 (and that story takes place two days after ANH, which would mean he was created basically around the time of RotS), then we are about 50 years out from the time that the last clones were born. Unless some clones manage to get to 100, he's the last, except for Boba Fett of course supposing he's still alive. Lonely existence for poor Kix.

Fj0823

There's no timeframe given for it other than "Several decades and quite a few wars later...", which in itself is an interesting statement and I think points to a very fragmented galaxy post-RotJ, much like in Legends.

If it takes place shortly before TFA around 30 years since RotJ, then that would mean
Kix is probably the last clonetrooper left. Since Sergeant Torrent in Smuggler's Run is likely from the last batch of clones created and he appears to be around 40 (and that story takes place two days after ANH, which would mean he was created basically around the time of RotS), then we are about 50 years out from the time that the last clones were born. Unless some clones manage to get to 100, he's the last, except for Boba Fett of course supposing he's still alive. Lonely existence for poor Kix.

Boba doesn't count as he's an unaltered Clone with no accelerated aging or biochip implants, if he's still alive, his age should be around Han's

Sucks to hear that Bobby is retiring from the Full of Sith podcast. He was that much needed 'voice from outside the bubble' on the show.

I'll probably do guest spots here or there as people ask.

I know Coffee w/ Kenobi said they were gonna get at me sometime in 2016. And FoS will, of course, probably drop me a line here & there.

I wasn't ever supposed to be much more than a semi-regular guest in the first place. But I appreciate the kind words you guys. Thanks for that.

I don't think I'm gonna be on this next one (Bryan & Amy are gonna be guests at a Lucasfilm press event this weekend, so it'll probably just be a TON of audio from that), but I'll be on the next one, and then the post-release review show.

Metalmarc

I'll probably do guest spots here or there as people ask.

I know Coffee w/ Kenobi said they were gonna get at me sometime in 2016. And FoS will, of course, probably drop me a line here & there.

I wasn't ever supposed to be much more than a semi-regular guest in the first place. But I appreciate the kind words you guys. Thanks for that.

I don't think I'm gonna be on this next one (Bryan & Amy are gonna be guests at a Lucasfilm press event this weekend, so it'll probably just be a TON of audio from that), but I'll be on the next one, and then the post-release review show.

Please get on the show at least once a year if you can, to talk about your feelings after every new movie that comes out, was looking forward to your breakdown of Rogue one, and 8 & 9 etc.

You'll still be around here too or are you quitting gaf too?

MattyG

Banned
Just saw this on /r/StarWars

1rUiYYb.png

That note from JJ...

Supernatural-Dean.gif

You'll still be around here too or are you quitting gaf too?

I don't have to plug in a bunch of equipment and do post-production and processing to bullshit with you guys here at GAF, so no, I ain't planning on going anywhere (pending my ability to successfully stay out of super-controversial political & race-based threads and/or stay on the good side of red-named individuals)

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
While my son as aged out of these as good reads for his level he picked up the 3rd book over the break to complete the set anyways. Plus my hype has rubbed off on him. I forgot he even had these so I'm gonna read them.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
dNKhAgCl.jpg

It was crazy good.

Star Wars, Vader, Lando and Vader Down have all been great, a must read. Shattered Empire and Princess Leia were forgettable, though.

Are there anymore comic after Chewbacca?

I want to pick up the new volumes of Kanan and Lando. Definitely liked them the most.

Hell, I think after reflecting on a year of reading Star Wars comics for the first time ever, I really don't like the stuff that focuses on the 'main' cast of the OT. I always end up feeling like their characters wind up shafted and sullied rather than fleshed out or enhanced.

But side characters? Those seem to work quite well.

I'm going to say 3 years before The Force Awakens. The Force Awakens is 53 years after the Clone Wars.
Line from end of book:
“This would have been impossible to decode fifty years ago. Now? Easy.".
But they were probably saying that as a general amount of time. If you mean 53 years, you could easily say 50 years.

MattyG

Banned
I just started playing SWTOR and I'm really enjoy it. Kind of sucks that it isn't canon though. I wonder if there's a chance it'll be made canon eventually, or if Lucasfilm wants to explore that era on their own terms.

One thing I kind of hate is that a lot of the terminology and aesthetic is the same/similar to the movies, but it takes place 3500 years earlier. Is there no progression of technology or culture in the Star Wars universe?

munchie64

I just started playing SWTOR and I'm really enjoy it. Kind of sucks that it isn't canon though. I wonder if there's a chance it'll be made canon eventually, or if Lucasfilm wants to explore that era on their own terms.

One thing I kind of hate is that a lot of the terminology and aesthetic is the same/similar to the movies, but it takes place 3500 years earlier. Is there no progression of technology or culture in the Star Wars universe?
Obviously it can change now with the new canon, but I believe that's part of what makes Star Wars more fantasy than straight sci-fi. Likea fantasy world, things seem rather stagnant.

Kalentan

Question... so does Magic exist in the Star Wars universe. Cause the Nightsisters used magic and claimed it outside the force (at least from the Jedi and Sith). Right? The wiki only gave the most basic info and didn't clarify if their "Magick" was just another type of Force.

MattyG

Banned
Question... so does Magic exist in the Star Wars universe. Cause the Nightsisters used magic and claimed it outside the force (at least from the Jedi and Sith). Right? The wiki only gave the most basic info and didn't clarify if their "Magick" was just another type of Force.
This is from the Dathomir Magic page (which is listed as Legends but mostly cites TCW, so let's say it's canon for the sake of discussion);

The practitioners of Dathomir Magic believed themselves to be casting spells rather than making use of the Force, and often were unable to make use of a "spell" without speaking its assigned name or performing the ritualized singing, dancing, chanting, and/or writing associated with it. The Nightsisters often attributed the work of the Force to the Spirits instead.

The skills in the Force that the Witches of Dathomir possessed changed the many generations since Allya's arrival on Dathomir, as knowledge was shaped by traditions and time from what Allya originally taught. It seemed that the Witches were only gifted in certain aspects of Force use, some in healing, others in Force Whirlwind, and so forth.
According to the Nightsisters, a shaman could channel the Spirits to create green spirit ichor, which—by the time of the Clone Wars—served as the primary basis of their magicks. The Water of Life was one such use of spirit ichor.
It's hard to tell for sure, but it sounds like they call upon Spirits that use the Force in their stead. So they aren't using the Force directly like a Jedi/Sith, but the Force is involved in the process somehow, if that makes any sense. However, the Spirits page notes that this may just be their way of interpreting the Force. I don't mean to dismiss anyone's faith with this example, but it could probably best be paralleled in the real world by someone attributing a miracle to God when there is actually a scientific explanation for it.

Kalentan

This is from the Dathomir Magic page (which is listed as Legends but mostly cites TCW, so let's say it's canon for the sake of discussion);

It's hard to tell for sure, but it sounds like they call upon Spirits that use the Force in their stead. So they aren't using the Force directly like a Jedi/Sith, but the Force is involved in the process somehow, if that makes any sense. However, the Spirits page notes that this may just be their way of interpreting the Force. I don't mean to dismiss anyone's faith with this example, but it could probably best be paralleled in the real world by someone attributing a miracle to God when there is actually a scientific explanation for it.

So if I understand it...

They essentially harness the power of these force spirits that use the force in a very different way than what people use. Thus while not using the force directly, they do use the power of the spirits. But in the end, it's still a force-type power but still different enough that they may not call it the force themselves since the spirits use it in a different way.

MattyG

Banned
So if I understand it...

They essentially harness the power of these force spirits that use the force in a very different way than what people use. Thus while not using the force directly, they do use the power of the spirits. But in the end, it's still a force-type power but still different enough that they may not call it the force themselves since the spirits use it in a different way.
Yup, OR they are just using the Force directly and the "Spirits" aren't real and are just their way of rationalizing their abilities. Either way, the Force seems to ultimately be the source of their power. In the case that the Spirits are real, they're like the middleman between the Nightsisters and the Force, while if they're not real, then the Force is just being used by the Nightsisters and they think it's going through the Spirits.

Full disclosure: I'm not done with The Clone Wars yet, so this is all just based on what I found on Wookiepedia which, to be honest, doesn't seem to have taken much care of the magic-related pages.

Kalentan

Yup, OR they are just using the Force directly and the "Spirits" aren't real and are just their way of rationalizing their abilities. Either way, the Force seems to ultimately be the source of their power. In the case that the Spirits are real, they're like the middleman between the Nightsisters and the Force, while if they're not real, then the Force is just being used by the Nightsisters and they think it's going through the Spirits.

Full disclosure: I'm not done with The Clone Wars yet, so this is all just based on what I found on Wookiepedia which, to be honest, doesn't seem to have taken much care of the magic-related pages.

There's a lot of stuff that hasn't been updated on Wookiepieda. Even some canon pages are left under written. I think I heard something about them being quite pissed at the Legends announcement...

Top Bottom