• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars |OT| I have a very good feeling about this...

As a lifetime Star Wars fan with a young daughter, the lack of Rey toys is distressing. There are more toys featuring BB-8 and generic Stormtroopers than the female lead of the movie. And good luck finding one of the few Rey toys there are in an actual toy store. You pretty much have to get them online.

Yeah. It's weird too, because Kathleen Kennedy, JJ Abrams, and a lot of the cast have spoken at lengths about how a big focus when making Force Awakens was improving the way women are portrayed in Star Wars films.

But Hasbro gonna Hasbro I guess. Between this, and the Black Widow Avengers stuff, Disney needs to give them a talking to.

Whoa, is this picture what I think it is? Link to avoid spoilers:

http://assets.rollingstone.com/assets/2015/article/watch-explosive-first-clip-from-star-wars-the-force-awakens-20151123/217512/small_rect/1448288521/300x169-EP7_IA_29355.jpg

How Rey and Finn end up on the Falcon on Jakku has been one of the plot points I couldn't figure out from promo materials thus far. Here it just looks like it's parked not far from that quadjumper that gets blown up (I'm assuming that might be the wreckage in the back of the picture). Still have no clue why the Falcon is just sitting there on Jakku, though.

Is it spoilery at all? I watched a lot of stuff, but going on the 2 week no media diet now.

Yeah, I would avoid reading it if you're on a blackout. There's some speculation on the author's part that could be considered spoilery, as well as detailed descriptions of scenes he got to observe JJ editing.

NYR94

Whoa, is this picture what I think it is? Link to avoid spoilers:

http://assets.rollingstone.com/assets/2015/article/watch-explosive-first-clip-from-star-wars-the-force-awakens-20151123/217512/small_rect/1448288521/300x169-EP7_IA_29355.jpg

How Rey and Finn end up on the Falcon on Jakku has been one of the plot points I couldn't figure out from promo materials thus far. Here it just looks like it's parked not far from that quadjumper that gets blown up (I'm assuming that might be the wreckage in the back of the picture). Still have no clue why the Falcon is just sitting there on Jakku, though.

Yeah, that picture shows what you're talking about.
It's not a new pic either I believe, I seem to recall it being posted a while back and people posted another pic of the Falcon's landing ramp from the original trilogy for comparison/confirmation. I think the Falcon is on Jakku because it's at some market or junkyard for old ships and stuff.

Yeah, that picture shows what you're talking about.
It's not a new pic either I believe, I seem to recall it being posted a while back and people posted another pic of the Falcon's landing ramp from the original trilogy for comparison/confirmation. I think the Falcon is on Jakku because it's at some market or junkyard for old ships and stuff.

Ah, I either missed that picture before, or didn't immediately recognize the ramp struts if I had seen it before.

You're probably right about the junkyard bit, I kinda figured it would be something like that. I guess the more interesting question is how the Falcon ended up on Jakku. One can assume from Han's "We're home" line that it wasn't by choice. I suppose that will be something Han will give the backstory on when he meets Finn and Rey.

Oh man, he is most definitely a little short for a stormtrooper now!

Hope we get some early critic reviews before general release. I'm rabid to hear some at this point :)

A significant number of bloggers and critics have been invited to the premiere on the 14th. So, at the very least, we'll probably see Twitter buzz about it.

Perfect.

https://twitter.com/ericgeller/status/672481768667226113

"Lawrence Kasdan, national treasure."
http://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...star-wars-lawrence-kasdan-20151206-story.html

CVUilMtWIAAPgKW.png

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
The more I hear about how fun they want to make the film, "Delightful" I think is the word JJ and Kasdan use, the less inclined I am to believe anyone actually dies in this first one. Bait and switch methinks.

TM94

Someone said my name was "like something out of Star Wars" today

Not sure whether I can take it as a compliment or not.

The more I hear about how fun they want to make the film, "Delightful" I think is the word JJ and Kasdan use, the less inclined I am to believe anyone actually dies in this first one. Bait and switch methinks.

It's possible, but I still think it's highly likely Han doesn't survive. Even if Han survives, I don't see him in anything more than a bit role after Episode VII.

Two weeks until the force awakens

tumblr_mc29quybDY1qdiju8o6_250.gif

I liked the Rolling Stones article too. It was the most enjoyable article I've read on the film.

Halfway through the Star Wars edition of Empire and it's pretty good. Kathy Kennedy refers to the Knights of Ren scene as the 'Force back'. It got me thinking.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So I finished the Jedi Academy short cartoon novels.

Sure they were for a young age group, but it was cheesy fun none the less. Roran thinking Mr G was a Sith was funny.

Anyone else here who will marathon through the OTs next weekend?

My best friend & I did one movie a month for the past 7 months leading up to Dec. I'd feel like marathoning them again before going; but we got tix for the theatrical marathon, I guess that'll have to do. Hahaha.

Mr Cola

Anyone else here who will marathon through the OTs next weekend?

Was thinking of making a thread before the premiere to watch one a night, im slightly against it because im European and there would be time sync issues. But still it would be nice to do something and have maybe a discussion a day about a particular film.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
My best friend & I did one movie a month for the past 7 months leading up to Dec. I'd feel like marathoning them again before going; but we got tix for the theatrical marathon, I guess that'll have to do. Hahaha.
I watched the whole saga earlier this year, but I am hyped enough to see the OTs again with The Force Awakens coming in two weeks...

Was thinking of making a thread before the premiere to watch one a night, im slightly against it because im European and there would be time sync issues. But still it would be nice to do something and have maybe a discussion a day about a particular film.
I would enjoy a discussion, but I have not that much time in the week, so I will see A New Hope on the 11th, Empire Strikes Back on the 12th and Return of the Jedi on the 13th.

I still cant believe that we will get a new Star Wars Movie in just two weeks.

Good interview with Lawrence Kasdan on the LA Times site.

Kasdan's thoughts on the future films are interesting.

These movies will all be so different. [“Episode VIII” director] Rian Johnson is a friend of mine — he’s going to make some weird thing. If you’ve seen Rian’s work, you know it’s not going be like anything that’s ever been in “Star Wars.” You couldn’t have three more different people than J.J., Rian and [“Episode IX” director] Colin [Trevorrow]. Those movies will have the “Star Wars” saga as their basis, but everything else will be different. Then Phil Lord and Chris Miller are going to make the Han Solo film and I can’t guess what that will be like — and I’m writing it!

Interview is amazing. I appreciate deviations from where I was with Star Wars in the last 15 years and someone like Kasdan to recenter me.

gsrjedi

I was in Disneyland last week & wanted to say a few things about Season of the Force; I'll post some pics at the bottom. Started Wednesday night at the Launch Bay. This was billed as having props from the films, but that may have only been the stuff from TFA. The exhibit mainly consists of OT & PT ship models & they looked to be made for this; some had little figures in them. The scale and variety was too big to be from any of the collectible companies that have been making stuff. They weren't in scale to each other, but they were all a good size. The Tantive IV was probably 3~4 feet long and most of the other ships were about a foot long (the OT TIE they had was smaller than the BS6 TIE they had for sale). The Episode VII displays had the biggest crowds and confirmed that it is Anakin's/Luke's lightsaber in the trailer. The Rey costume was weird because the model was also like a hard plastic for the whole thing, not mixed media.

There are two characters to meet, Chewbacca & Darth Vader. Chewie's set up is like the rebel base on Yavin and in the line there are hero lightsaber and helmets on display. The Chewie interaction was great, we saw him 2nd and he started with a hug & pointed at my hair. Waited about 20 minutes for him and about 15 for Vader. The Vader line has villain sabers and Trooper helmets and looks like an Imperial base. I don't normally do characters at Disney so I didn't really know what to do with him. They also have a store there that sells lots of items from Sideshow, GG, Anovos. I don't know if everything was more expensive, but the SSC R2-D2 1/6 figure was $175 instead of $150; but the BS6 TIE was the normal $170. I guess they had some BS6 Phasmas when they opened but they were all scooped up.

Hyperspace Mountain was a ton of fun. It's the same Space Mountain track, but they have projections of Star Destroyers & TIE Fighters as you fly around. The speakers on the cars have chatter like you're in a battle.

Path of the Jedi is a short compilation film in the old Captain EO/Honey I Shrunk the Audience theater. It uses the effects of the theater though, so the seats will move in certain parts and you get some blasts of air and lights flashing during lightsaber battles. My only complaint was the quality of the film they used was not very good.

Star Tours added a new destination - Jakku. It's the 1st planet you go to now on every flight and Finn comes on screen asking what you're doing there as he's in the middle of the scenes we've seen with the Falcon fighting off TIES around the crashed Star Destroyer. You follow the (surprisingly agile) Falcon around before going through the Destroyer. Then as you get off world BB-8 delivers a message & the ride continues as normal. It's really awesome they can add new scenes to this ride.

They turned the two restaurants in Tomorrowland to be SW themed. I didn't eat at the Pizza place though. Galactic Grill has a Darth Tamale with cheese inside and egg, chili, & sour cream on top for breakfast that was really good. I tried the First Order burger and it was too dry, needed more of the sauce. They have 2 special lemonades that come with glow cubes - one is a Millennium Falcon & the other is a Death Star. I got both of those as well as the Han Solo in Carbonite lunch box for the burger.

The entire are has a great energy to it though. When you first walk in they have these huge projections of the Rebel & Imperial logo on each side. There are banners along the Peoplemover track with silhouettes of various characters. After Force Friday, about half of the Star Trader shop was SW, now it's the whole store; & it's all kinds of stuff. When you're walking around Tomorrowland, they are playing various SW songs. Everybody seemed to be excited about Star Wars. Space Mountain normally has about a 70-90 minute wait on really busy days, it stayed at 120 all day. Star Tours is usually pushing 30 minutes, but it was constantly about an hour. It's only been open 2 weeks now so it's still popular, but that section of the park was incredibly crowded.

This is supposedly ending around the end of May. I enjoyed the offerings and the energy helped it, but I don't think it's worth taking a special trip to Disneyland just to see this. It did make me even more excited for the full Star Wars land coming in a few years.

- picture links to the Flickr album

shingi70

Banned
Any chance Lucasfilm can handle multiple animated series like Marvel does? I like rebel, but would be interested in a New Republic series.

Cheebo

Banned
Any chance Lucasfilm can handle multiple animated series like Marvel does? I like rebel, but would be interested in a New Republic series.

Marvel ones are far cheaper with pretty low quality 2D animation. So I would say its doubtful, especially when Rebels does not get very good ratings for the most part.

Top Bottom