• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens video release date, editions announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Assault

Forgive my naïveté, but will the iTunes version come with all these extra features? I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to digital.

kaiju

For those interested in digital only, Target has a deal that includes three collectible TFA posters (size: 10”W x 6.84”H):

s-l1000.jpg

GhaleonEB

I don't think there is a Blu-ray only release, so that's probably it. They'll probably update the listing at some point with the correct info.

Yeah, that makes sense. I saw the regular combo listed on Best Buy....if it has that black slip cover I think I'll go for that over the steelbook.

Good lord I can't believe how bad the cover art is for these editions.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Awesome news. I can't wait for the 3D Bluray.

Rootbeer

Banned
target edition for me

i care about the most content, not the best cover.

When SW comes to UHD hopefully we'll get another round of steelbooks that look way nicer. Then I'll snag those.

Surfinn

Yeah, that makes sense. I saw the regular combo listed on Best Buy....if it has that black slip cover I think I'll go for that over the steelbook.

Good lord I can't believe how bad the cover art is for these editions.
Very surprised at the lack of originally and creativity. Hopefully the content of the actual release will be worth it.

kaiju

The Target version doesn't appear to be a standard case with a slipcover, but a cardboard fold out style case:
50807487_Alt01

Yeah, I saw that...but they aren't actually showing the front cover. They are showing the slipcase and the first and second foldouts of the case, but not the actual front of the case itself. I imagine the front cover will follow the layout of the foldouts, ala Game of Thrones style, and not be a reprint of the slipcase cover.

The actual cover will probably have either Kylo Ren or BB8 on it, judging by the format.

These are nitpicks, I know. But at least there is some hope that that silly slipcover can be tossed.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Think I'm going to go with the Target edition on this one. Usually prefer steelbooks but extra features sound nice and I like the packaging.

-griffy-

Banned
Yeah, I saw that...but they aren't actually showing the front cover. They are showing the slipcase and the first and second foldouts of the case, but not the actual front of the case itself. I imagine the front cover will follow the layout of the foldouts, ala Game of Thrones style, and not be a reprint of the slipcase cover.

These are nitpicks, I know. But at least there is some hope that that silly slipcover can be tossed.

I'm saying I don't think there is a slipcase on the Target version. That is the front cover.
Is 2k just 1920*1080? Why would anyone master something like this in 1080p in 2015?

2k is a bit more than standard 1080p, though sometimes standard 1080p is referred to as 2k as well. Digital cinema standard for 2k is 2048x1080.

RyudBoy

Never purchased an HD movie digitally before and I must ask - is the quality the same as it is on a Bluray disc, or is the bitrate lower?

Is there any reason to think I won't simply be able to pick up the Target version at a local Target store?

Never purchased an HD movie digitally before and I must ask - is the quality the same as it is on a Bluray disc, or is the bitrate lower?

objectively inferior to the BD but FAR superior to something like Netflix. If it's a good price, buy with confidence.

The actual cover will probably have either Kylo Ren or BB8 on it, judging by the format.

Given the past Target exclusives in that style casing, that's the cover. There's no slip cover with additional art.

Is there any reason to think I won't simply be able to pick up the Target version at a local Target store?

Yes. Target exclusives often sell out in the morning of release. You'd have to go that morning to make sure you get one.

The bitrate is lower and the Blu Ray version is superior.

SlickVic

I'll just be going with the standard blu ray. Amazon CS was pretty awesome when I emailed about matching the $5 gift card Target is offering and took $5 off the price to make it $15. Nice it's only 1 more month to wait now.

kaiju

Ahh okay, looks like I was wrong on that cover then. Will still likely get the Target version.

Depends on your area, but I've never had a problem getting an exclusive version several hours after my local Target opened. Just make sure you check on the first day of release.

Yes. Target exclusives often sell out in the morning of release. You'd have to go that morning to make sure you get one.
okay pre-ordered. ty.

Ahh okay, looks like I was wrong on that cover then. Will still likely get the Target version.

Depends on your area, but I've never had a problem getting an exclusive version several hours after my local Target opened. Just make sure you check on the first day of release.

will keep that in mind as well and go the day of. if i find it on the shelf i'll cancel the online order.

16BitNova

I think I might go with the Best Buy steel case. Literally all Target has is exclusive interviews with 2 cast members, which will probably be the same questions as most entertainment interviews on Youtube. And extra look at weapons and costumes, which I feel might just be a little booklet or something.

Also, Steel cases always after my own heart.

ascii42

Is 2k just 1920*1080? Why would anyone master something like this in 1080p in 2015?

4K special effects are expensive. Even The Hobbit, which was shot in 5K was mastered in 2K. Though for that movie it's really not surprising, since it was also 3D and 48fps.

Synless

At first I was mad the target case wasn't the text version. But I'm just going to take the extra features out of my Star Wars complete saga bluray set and place episodes 7-9 in that.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Force Awakens is on in-flight entertainment now.

So basically on Monday during my flight from Paris to Los Angeles I'm going to watch it 5 times straight

Frostburn

Sad to read in this thread that the movie wasn't mastered in 4K. Between the release only being 1080p and no Dolby Atmos it just seems like 4K and audiophile sound aren't a priority for studios even with such a big movie. I know it is costly but I feel like all parties involved are being really slow to adopt and produce content for TVs already a few years old.

Jedi2016

Note: The 3D version of Star Wars: The Force Awakens will be available later this year.
Fuck you, Disney. Fuck. You.

I have no intention of double-dipping, so unless they announce whether or not that mystical 3D release will have all the same bonuses and shit as the regular release, I think I'll keep my money. There is zero fucking reason to delay the 3D release, they just want to bait people along to spend more money, and get us 3D fans to pony up double. They can kiss my fat hairy ass.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Wait

Wasn't the 3D completely throwaway for this film? Or is there some aspect to home video 3D that I'm unaware of?

Jedi2016

Wasn't the 3D completely throwaway for this film? Or is there some aspect to home video 3D that I'm unaware of?
I have a major problem with Disney's habit of telling people what they like and don't like in regards to 3D. It has nothing to do with whether the 3D is good or not, but that they're not giving us the choice of which version to buy, something they've been doing for years now with the rest of their movies. This is exactly the kind of shit I was afraid would happen with this release. So they can take a flying fuck off the end of my dick.

Mr_Moogle

Even though BB-8 sucks, that cover looks sick. The only movies I own are IV-VI and I-III, so this will be a day 1 buy.

What the hell? BB-8 was one of the highlights of the film. Given all the technical issues he had to put up with, Lucas probably would have given his left testicle to have a ball droid in the original film ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom