• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens video release date, editions announced

Status
Not open for further replies.
He doesn't feel like waiting for the 3D version?

Wouldn't it be better to buy the Blu Ray now which includes a digital copy for pretty much the same price as the digital alone? Then when the 3D version comes out, you can sell the 2D version and apply it to the 3D version and still keep the digital while enjoying the better quality BR.

Guess I'll try to wait for the 3D release then. Don't like what they are doing here though, unless it's because they are re-processing the 3D for home release which all 3d releases should. Still can't imagine that it would take that ekstra time if they had people on it now.

Glad to see Best Buy is getting a steel book. I bought the first 6 steel books from them and they look great. I was worried about 7 not matching up.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
If those deleted scenes had their SFX complete and the camera HUD stuff removed - which certainly will not happen in this case - then I'm sure SW fan-editors wouldn't hesitate to Frankenstein those scenes into the film.

Koyuga

I guess deleted scenes sound neat, but Disney needs to stop beating around the bush and release the non-special edition original trilogy already.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
What the hell? BB-8 was one of the highlights of the film. Given all the technical issues he had to put up with, Lucas probably would have given his left testicle to have a ball droid in the original film ;)
He's interesting, but people think he's better than Artoo. Artoo is actually useful.

GhaleonEB

I was hoping Maz's cut scene(s) would make it in, but I'm guessing they weren't FX complete. Curses.

He's interesting, but people think he's better than Artoo. Artoo is actually useful.

R2 was given more to do in ANH, but BB-8 has more of a personality given how mobile and expressive he can be. There's a lot of great little touches to his 'performance' that make him a more relatable character, despite being a ball droid.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I guess deleted scenes sound neat, but Disney needs to stop beating around the bush and release the non-special edition original trilogy already.

They will probably have to wait until George is dead.

NateDog

Wonder what we'll get over here in the uk?

Zavvi have the Kylo Ren / Phasma steelbook (had it listed for a while but with placeholder art which seems to have been better). I'm hoping somehow HMV might get a different special edition or something (kind of like the look of the Target version actually), they normally get steelbooks of a lot of big titles but the one I mentioned is a Zavvi exclusive I believe so I'm hoping HMV will save me. Either that or standard Blu-ray for me anyway.

Matticers

The 2D BRD is 4 days apart. The 3D version is months later.

If he waited four months to own it digitally, he could probably wait 4 more days. He could sell the blu-ray and just keep the digital code that comes with it and make a profit compared to just buying the digital alone. I mean, I don't get why people buy digital only either when physical copies come with a free code but hey. We all have our reasons for doing things. I just hope he knows you get the code with the physical version.

You're usually allowed to rent digitally on the BR release date.

Also, the digital release is only a few days apart, so it's not like you'll have to wait that longer than others.
The older Star Wars movies are unavailable to rent, so the new one probably won't be available either.

If he waited four months to own it digitally, he could probably wait 4 more days. He could sell the blu-ray and just keep the digital code that comes with it and make a profit compared to just buying the digital alone. I mean, I don't get why people buy digital only either when physical copies come with a free code but hey. We all have our reasons for doing things. I just hope he knows you get the code with the physical version.
Ya I pointed that out already. I was just pointing out that it's not a four day difference for the 3d version.

tmdorsey

Ridiculous there's no 4k version with 4k/HDR discs hitting the scene this year and damn near every new tv you can buy nowadays is a 4K television.

-griffy-

Banned
Yeah, outside of like 2 shots, it existed basically for the 3d tax.

This was essentially the only shot in the film where the 3D had a meaningful impact for me:
0kwkGbQ.gif

The IMAX 3D in Orlando was fucking awesome. After seeing that, I was spoiled. Now I have been to other showings in other IMAX screens like in Panama City that weren't as good so I guess it depends on the theater.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Holding out for the 3D release. Really stupid that it's not day and date with the regular release.

Horohoro

The UK steelbook looks different notice the pictures on the sides are like the ones on the US target edition
And there is no title on the cover or spine or back.

11216153-1764371078453306.jpg

11216153-5174371078496032.jpg

This was essentially the only shot in the film where the 3D had a meaningful impact for me:
0kwkGbQ.gif

There was that one First Order ship shot though.

Actually, what did they call their ships in that film? Still Star Destroyers?

Fake Edit: Resurgent Class Star Destroyer

The entire Falcon chase was incredible in 3D and there were lots of shots with great depth like Kylo standing on the walkway near the end both before and after certain events.

Wait

Wasn't the 3D completely throwaway for this film? Or is there some aspect to home video 3D that I'm unaware of?

IMO, Home video 3D is far, far better than the theatrical experience. I have turned a lot of people around on 3D based on them watching content on my 3DTV.

The UK steelbook looks different notice the pictures on the sides are like the ones on the US target edition
And there is no title on the cover or spine or back.

11216153-1764371078453306.jpg

11216153-5174371078496032.jpg

Yep, we get the short end of the stick when it comes to steelbooks. A lot of Marvel's are like that as well, with the poster art on the spine and no title.

Horohoro

Yep, we get the short end of the stick when it comes to steelbooks. A lot of Marvel's are like that as well, with the poster art on the spine and no title.

Yeah I've collected steelbooks for years just point it out I just bought my 700th steelbook recently :)
Are you a collector? I've been thinking of starting an OT on steelbooks?

I was going to go just digital on this until the 3D version hits but if you want to preorders off iTunes it's $24.99 CAD and it's being sold at Best Buy for $26.99 CAD, with digital included.

They really need to rethink the digital pricing structure.

Yeah the pan down to the Finalizer passing over the planet after the opening crawl was a gorgeous use of 3D.

It was inconsequential for the rest of the runtime for me though.

Faiz

I'm really conflicted. I want the extra content from the Target version but I hate discs being held in cardboard sleeves with a passion. I'll probably just stick with my standard edition Amazon preorder :/

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
0kwkGbQ.gif

I watched it in IMAX 3D at Scotland's largest screen. The whole movie was glorious.

Surfinn

Yes. Watching 3D at home has been a far better experience than 3D in theaters.

I still love IMAX when a film has scenes that have been shot for it and that naturally doesn't translate to a home viewing experience.

Better than the screen size and sound system? I'd love to experience this if true. Haven't found a better setup than Imax.. TFA was amazing in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom