• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT2| GL HF GG

Status
Not open for further replies.

syllogism

GhostRidah said:
The only thing I dislike is the whole no feedback on Thors/Corruptors, I am a zerg player buy damn that sucks hard.
Feedbacking thors was pretty dumb since they only have a 125 energy ability and it has to be researched, but feedbacking Corruptors seemed fine

IceMarker

Void Rays are nerfed? YESSSSSSSSSS

a14aqx.gif

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Zen said:
Is anyone else kind of disapointed with what Funday monday is? When it first started (No Queens) it seemed like he was going to impose restrictions that were interesting, and educational in some way (Who would have thought that this could happen if we were doing this). Instead he seemingly is imposing wacky restrictions for the sake of making something really silly, fair enough, but he's also purposefully choosing to show us replays that are meaningless as far as learning anything from them goes (Like the Terran Funday imparticular where he said "Yeah there were some smart replays I saw that we're doing things, but the point of funday monday is to be inane).

Carrier First and No queens are the only two that have been worth anything, or entertaining, for me.
I dont like these themed days personally. Radnomly here and there a funday monday or newbie tuesday is cool, but every week? eh. I personally rather see high level analysis everyday.

Tenks

Corran Horn said:
I dont like these themed days personally. Radnomly here and there a funday monday or newbie tuesday is cool, but every week? eh. I personally rather see high level analysis everyday.

The platinum and below market is much more saturated than the diamond+ market. His viewership has increased lately and I'm pretty sure that is thanks to him not just doing "analyze replay X." I'm not saying I disagree with you but from a marketability standpoint I think Day9 is in the right.

Coverly

Pyke Presco said:
It drives me up the fucking wall playing team games with them, there is no coordination, and the one guy ALWAYS lifts his base to an island or something

Lol this happened to us over the weekend. Playing with 4 friends vs the computer and one friend keeps lifting his base at the start of the game to an island. I think i was beside myself. wtf is that? But being a friend I didn't want to tell him off right away. But then he did this 5 more times in strait games! I tried to drop a hint that the time spent flying would cripple his economy but he kept lifting those bases. Not only that, but because he flew to an island he couldn't send help on the first few enemy rushes until he had air support.

While I'm on this thread. What's a good way to beat the AI on very hard as a terran? I have no problem with hard, but very hard is almost impossible for me right now.

jacobs34

-COOLIO- said:
just dled the patch and when i try to 1v1 i get:

"you must patch to the latest version"

Yeah, me too. We will probably have to wait for a bit for the servers to recover from the patch being released.

IceMarker

I'm pretty sure they only patched our clients and not their own servers just now, which means that the server is expecting us our clients to still be 1.1.1, which is why we can't play.

jacobs34

MrMister said:
I'm pretty sure they only patched our clients and not their own servers just now, which means that the server is expecting us our clients to still be 1.1.1, which is why we can't play.

Ah. That too. haha

IceMarker

Okay so on a TL.net thread I'm reading, the first un-written patch note is:

Terran
- Thor's 250mm Strike Cannons now do a combined total of 500 damage
- Thor's 250mm Strike Cannons now fire slightly faster
- Thor's 250mm Strike Cannons now have no splash damage

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
MrMister said:
Okay so on a TL.net thread I'm reading, the first un-written patch note is:

Terran
- Thor's 250mm Strike Cannons now do a combined total of 500 damage
- Thor's 250mm Strike Cannons now fire slightly faster
- Thor's 250mm Strike Cannons now have no splash damage

Will check this one right now, I tried it before.. and I'm pretty sure there was indeed no splash.
Yup no splash damage.

Woo I took out ONE scv!

Aylinato

why did they nerf my void rays?

I only used them in custom games(deception!). I never used them in 1v1 as it was better for me to use phoenixes to do harassment wayyy better than those void rays. Happy to see they fixed the graviton beam! I'm back with phoenix now! w00t

Why am i not allowed to feedback thors and corruptors(bullshit)

Lucis

Aylinato said:

I only used them in custom games(deception!). I never used them in 1v1 as it was better for me to use phoenixes to do harassment wayyy better than those void rays. Happy to see they fixed the graviton beam! I'm back with phoenix now! w00t

never use void ray in 1v1 is stupid, they obviously have their use, just don't over use them. actually the nerf is not THAT bad, the increase base damage makes me happier.

at least they didnt'r emove energy on cattlecruiser lol

Yaweee

Great, great change for Void Rays, and I say that as a Protoss player. Giving the +Armored bonus only to the charge state was dumb as hell. Now they deal way more legitimate damage without the charge, and are less dependent on doing ridiculous charge juggles.

Honestly, it was a unit that countered its counters when charged up. Dumb, dumb, dumb. So glad they're fixed.

Pandaman said:
feedback vs corrupter was never 'fine'.

I wish Collosi had completely useless energy. That would open up Templar as a viable counter to Collosi in PvP.

I'm not really sure where this all leaves PvZ. My worst matchup just get a whole lot worse.

Surprised it went up already, and there are tons more changes from 1.1.1->1.1.2 than from 1.0->1.1.

* PROTOSS
o Buildings
+ Nexus life and shields increased from 750/750 to 1000/1000.

No idea why this was needed...a better solution seems to be nerf Marauder damage against armored. Otherwise the Nexus was fine.

o Void Ray
+ Damage level 1 increased from 5 to 6 (+4 armored).
+ Damage level 2 decreased from 10 (+15 armored) to 8 (+8 armored).

This is a shame. Void Rays are good at lower levels but not seen very much at higher levels. Now I doubt they'll be used at all. Just one fewer strategy at higher levels, disappointing.

* TERRAN
o Buildings
+ Barracks requirement changed from Command Center to Supply Depot.
+ Supply Depot life increased from 350 to 400.

Don't like this change either, removes variety of builds, and makes depots harder to baneling bust :/

o Medivac
+ Acceleration reduced from 2.315 to 2.25.
+ Speed reduced from 2.75 to 2.5.

Good change, probably needed.

o Reaper
+ Nitro Packs speed upgrade now has a Factory Requirement.

Don't like this. I honestly think reapers are fine after 1.1. Again, basically removes another viable strategy. Later on in the game you have to get more reapers for them to be worth it and they're so gas heavy that you're better off with other units.

o Thor
+ Energy bar removed.
+ 250mm Strike Cannons is now cooldown-based on a 50-second cooldown. Ability starts with cooldown available (useable immediately after upgrade is researched).

This is whatever, feedback isn't good against Thors anyway.

* ZERG
o Buildings
+ Hatchery life increased from 1250 to 1500.
+ Lair life increased from 1800 to 2000.
+ Spawning Pool life increased from 750 to 1000.
+ Spire life increased from 600 to 850.
+ Ultralisk Cavern life increased from 600 to 850.

Good changes, especially for hatchery life.

o Corruptor
+ Energy bar removed.
+ Corruption is now cooldown-based on a 45-second cooldown. Ability starts with cooldown expired (must wait for full 45-second cycle before usable).

Feedback hardly used against corruptors anyway. Usually Zerg only gets corrupters to counter colossus, and it's hard to get both colossi and high templars with all that gas required. Not a big deal.

o Infestor
+ Fungal Growth now prevents Blink.

This is whatever.

o Roach
+ Range increased from 3 to 4.

Best change. Will try some roach builds and see how much they've improved.

Honestly I'd like to see more buffs instead of all this nerfing. It just feels like everything is getting watered down until all units suck. But I'm at least encouraged by their willingness to make balance changes as necessary.

LakeEarth

Zen said:
Is anyone else kind of disapointed with what Funday monday is? When it first started (No Queens) it seemed like he was going to impose restrictions that were interesting, and educational in some way (Who would have thought that this could happen if we were doing this). Instead he seemingly is imposing wacky restrictions for the sake of making something really silly, fair enough, but he's also purposefully choosing to show us replays that are meaningless as far as learning anything from them goes (Like the Terran Funday imparticular where he said "Yeah there were some smart replays I saw that we're doing things, but the point of funday monday is to be inane).

Carrier First and No queens are the only two that have been worth anything, or entertaining, for me.
I agree. In his last Monday he mentions an awesome combination (medivac/queen/ultralisk) and talked about how it was impossible to stop once the forever-healed ultralisks start coming out. I was hoping for more of these creative and near-unstoppable combinations.

ultron87

Since I didn't use void rays much anyway I'm not that bummed out about the nerf. I am sad that this means we probably won't see any crazy charge juggling in tournaments anymore, since it probably isn't worth it.

The few games where you'd see that were some of the best.

Aylinato

vicissitudes said:
Surprised it went up already, and there are tons more changes from 1.1.1->1.1.2 than from 1.0->1.1.

Honestly I'd like to see more buffs instead of all this nerfing. It just feels like everything is getting watered down until all units suck. But I'm at least encouraged by their willingness to make balance changes as necessary.

all except marauders (lol)

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
vicissitudes said:

really, a nerf to a unit is the same as a buff to every other unit.

if you like units getting buffed then a few units getting nerfed is a big win for you.

Aylinato said:

Why am i not allowed to feedback thors and corruptors(bullshit)

Thank fucking god, I was lifting one, kill , lift two, realize the first guy hadnt stopped, hit escape and then drop the second guy because I just roll with the whole group clicked so I canceled everything. Made me go crazy.

Also, to the guy who said feedback against thors was useless...just no. Being able to take out a third to half of the things health in a split second and then focusing it down was fantastic. Likewise with popping corrupters and then having stalkers finish them off. It was great fun, and made HTs still somewhat effective if they suddenly had thors or you didn't scout right and were expecting bio. Sad to see it go, but its understandable.

ultron87

Pyke Presco said:
Thank fucking god, I was lifting one, kill , lift two, realize the first guy hadnt stopped, hit escape and then drop the second guy because I just roll with the whole group clicked so I canceled everything. Made me go crazy.

Also, to the guy who said feedback against thors was useless...just no. Being able to take out a third to half of the things health in a split second and then focusing it down was fantastic. Likewise with popping corrupters and then having stalkers finish them off. It was great fun, and made HTs still somewhat effective if they suddenly had thors or you didn't scout right and were expecting bio. Sad to see it go, but its understandable.

It's like we had the equivalent of EMP for just one of their units.

f0rk

vicissitudes said:

Yeah the game would be a lot more fun if everyone had the options of Terran rather than nerfing terrans various openings.

Vaporak

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
If both players are moderatly good at the game then voidrays were already a niche unit that hardly saw any use. Now they're worse at their niche and still have bad uncharged damage, hence having less use than before.

Aylinato

f0rk said:
Yeah the game would be a lot more fun if everyone had the options of Terran rather than nerfing terrans various openings.

I agree, as a protoss I would love if they added a unit called the dark zealot which had some crazy difference from the normal zealot. Also, add the scout back please!

^-^

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Vaporak said:
If both players are moderatly good at the game then voidrays were already a niche unit that hardly saw any use. Now they're worse at their niche and still have bad uncharged damage, hence having less use than before.
i see void rays in almost every diamond tvp i play

Yaweee

I don't consider the VR change a nerf, necessarily. They are quite a bit weaker in charge state 2, but MUCH more powerful in charge state one. Now they actually feel like a legitimate unit.

ultron87 said:
It's like we had the equivalent of EMP for just one of their units.

This is true. Ghosts absolutely terrify me as Protoss, probably the scariest unit that Terran can put on the map, especially since it counters HT's which are the best choice for picking them off.

Though nothing beats hunting ghosts down with DT's and an observer. Love just running into the middle of a bioball and sniping off two ghosts, then scan goes down and kills off my DTs. I've only managed to do it twice so far though.

ultron87

Pyke Presco said:
This is true. Ghosts absolutely terrify me as Protoss, probably the scariest unit that Terran can put on the map, especially since it counters HT's which are the best choice for picking them off.

Though nothing beats hunting ghosts down with DT's and an observer. Love just running into the middle of a bioball and sniping off two ghosts, then scan goes down and kills off my DTs. I've only managed to do it twice so far though.

It's a shame that EMP has a longer range than Feedback (and is an AOE). Otherwise Templars would work pretty well against them too.

Pyke Presco said:

1. Thors are rarely seen against Protoss in the first place. Its air attack is almost never useful, and against a ground army you're better off with bio-tank.

2. Thors have so much HP and often have SCVs repairing them means that feedback really isn't that good against them.

3. Compared to other spells, a spell that takes off 1/3 of a unit's HP one at a time is pretty horrible. Compare it to: feedback one-shotting a medievac. EMP taking off 1/3 of a dozen units' HP. Heck, I bet if you use 5 feedbacks on 5 thors versus 5 psionic storms, the storms would probably do more damage, plus storm is infinitely better against every other unit.

And sometimes you don't have the energy to storm and don't have a fresh templar available. I played a game the other day, and when scouting the front saw like 6 marines and 3 marauders. I teched to storm and started making HTs, and when he got to my base there were 2 thors in the mix. HT's and Immortals were a great choice(designed to kill marines and marauders, but coincidentally very good against thors too), storm the army and then feedback on the thors and medivacs when I ran out of energy. Sure, it was a very situational play, but it was a handy option available to me.

Unfortunately I still lost that game, the pathing was really bad on blistering sands and half my army decided to retreat into my main like I wanted while the other half decided to advance out of my natural towards my back door, taking the roundabout route and following his army into my base. So both halves got decimated unfortunately. But the point is, 100-150 or so damage on a couple of thors can mean the difference between winning a battle and losing it, and now that option is no longer available.

EDIT: Syth, game five was awesome, Nani rushed for a hidden Dark Shrine and decimated Morrow's SCV line in both bases, was up ~50 harvesters to 15. It was wicked awesome.

EDIT 2: Holy shit crazy game 6 Marauder micro. Just roflstomping the gateway units all day long, awesome retreat and push from one side fo the map to the other. Crazy, crazy game.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
oh snap at nani just now.

Medivac over forcefield to trapped troops, pick them up, drop them back with his other troops behind the ffield.

Enjoyable quick thinking!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom