• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STARFIELD |OT| 2023: A Space Toddity

cormack12

Gold Member
Up to 25 hours, level 12 just cruising round. Had a little look see in Neon, haven't been in Akila yet. I love the game loop in this game. Got its hooks deep in the meat. Between this, GT7 and Diablo IV, I think I'm set for the next year or so easily!

fdSaeT6.png

UE95XTO.png

YGexnCY.png

NKVyd4S.png

Kilau

My audio was back this morning and I’ve locked down performance. Have to say I’m super impressed my space parents knew the instant I stepped into the Lodge where I was and sent notes. They must have implanted a tracker in me.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I got rid of Sarah as soon as I could after finishing the mission required to dismiss her. Was getting real tired of being constantly nagged by this person I hardly know. What gives her the right?

So I picked Sam Coe because it's Adam Jensen. But I swear to God, these companions...

I'm in a huge space battle between the
Crimson Fleet and the UC
, dying for the tenth time because of a difficulty spike, and Cora pipes in over the lasers, missiles, and lock-on sound effects with "Dad, where book? Teehee". Sam: "Cora, if I find one more of your books left out on the ship, so help me...teehee". I finally finish the space battle, ready to reach the climax of this hours-long quest, so I board the enemy ship and Sam goes, "Hey, you got a minute?" and wants to have a heart-to-heart about whether he's a good father. :messenger_expressionless:

Really, really enjoying this game all-in-all, but is there a companion who's not annoying?
He is already boring, giving him an annoying brat that follows him in the ship make him automatically the worst companion in the game, i think i only used him for his campaign mission and then never used him again, he can open a nurse in another ship for what i care :lollipop_squinting:

Havoc2049

Can cargo runs be stacked with more cargo space? I'm doing cargo runs to earn money to buy a house. I saw two cargo runs going to the same place, but it said I didn't have enough cargo space.

I'm about ready to bring back my wife in (Sarah) after bringing along Andreja for a bit. She's so ...depressing. Anyway, Sam Coe isn't bad but yeah, his daughter..... she gotta go. I'm one annoying dialogue away from sending both of them to some barren outpost moon.
If you find one let me know, I’m getting tired of companions having a hissy fit whenever I don’t choose the most boring goody two shoes option.

Next run I’m picking the introvert trait + that one perk that gives you bonuses for going solo.
Yeah Sarah’s personality is just plain offputting, I dumped her too. Andreja is fine I think, and Vasco of course.
He is already boring, giving him an annoying brat that follows him in the ship make him automatically the worst companion in the game, i think i only used him for his campaign mission and then never used him again, he can open a nurse in another ship for what i care :lollipop_squinting:
Thanks for the replies, fellas. That's four responses to the question of "is there a companion that's not annoying" and the most ringing endorsement for any of the others is Andreja, who is described as depressing/fine, and a literal robot lol

This game is a ton of fun. I lose hours without realizing it. But coming right off of Baldur's Gate 3's all-star companion roster where they're entertaining and convincing even when they disagree with your actions... These Starfield folks can't compete.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Thanks for the replies, fellas. That's four responses to the question of "is there a companion that's not annoying" and the most ringing endorsement for any of the others is Andreja, who is described as depressing/fine, and a literal robot lol

This game is a ton of fun. I lose hours without realizing it. But coming right off of Baldur's Gate 3's all-star companion roster where they're entertaining and convincing even when they disagree with your actions... These Starfield folks can't compete.
Just bring Vasco, he is all about that thuglife and he never gonna judge you.

Just give him ammo for his weapon.

I ditched Andreja the sad sack when i did a mission for the crimson fleet and she was not happy but she "allowed" me to proceed...

I "allowed" her ass at the base after that.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Does vasco judge anything? I got some missions that Sarah and Barrett kicked off about so I've waited to do them.
I decimated a ship that i could take pacifically during a mission and he said something about how my combat performance was way above average :lollipop_squinting:

Dude doesn't give a single fuck, but who knows, i thought the sad sack was also ok...

Last edited:

twilo99

Gold Member
There’s so much to discover in this game, it’s quite overwhelming. I just hope the scanning and travelling over the surface of whatever planet becomes faster

There are no ground vehicles so you are just stuck walking unfortunately.

The game is indeed overwhelming, I got used to it after a while, but it’s a lot.

Desless1

Just ran the Red Mile. Reminded me a lot of the Grunt companion quest in Mass Effect 2.
He, just ran it my self. Did not like that, totaly forgot to stack up med packs before the run. And I hate those animals. Oh well... managed it ok.

PSA. there is a Red Mile leaderboard at the entrance, when I wrapped it up, someone had done it 28 times already! Geez.

Fess

Just bring Vasco, he is all about that thuglife and he never gonn judge you.

Just give him ammo for his weapon.

I ditched the Andreja the sad sack when i did a mission for the crimson fleet and she was not happy but she "hallowed" me to proceed...

I "hallowed" her ass at the base after that.
I don’t think any companion is okay with your actions during the CF quests (well Vasco don’t care)
It’s a weird questline, multi-layered on guilt, they’re pulling all the strings to make you feel guilty no matter your choices, I played both scenarios til the end and there is always someone that walks away thinking you’re a pos. I used Vasco in the final mission, let him do the shooting and mostly rushed,jumped, sneaked, powered, through the level to have it line up okay with my Roger Wilco space quest guy who just happened to be at the wrong spot at the wrong time.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
He, just ran it my self. Did not like that, totaly forgot to stack up med packs before the run. And I hate those animals. Oh well... managed it ok.

PSA. there is a Red Mile leaderboard at the entrance, when I wrapped it up, someone had done it 28 times already! Geez.

The 28 time is an NPC you can talk to on the upper level of the bar, he asks you to buy him a drink first before he talks to you, but he tells you about running it 28 times.

I haven't ran it again but it'd be cool if someone runs it 29 times and gets their name on top :p

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
PS one sure fire way to increase your companion affinity is by doing the hostage rescue missions from the Freestar Collective mission board.

Rescuing a hostage always guarantees a "so and so liked that" prompt.

Wow, I haven't even seen this type of mission yet... Where I can find such board, sir?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Wow, I haven't even seen this type of mission yet... Where I can find such board, sir?

Akila, the big building in the center of the town called "The Rock". That's the base of operations when you join the Freestar Collective.

Maybe other factions have similar quests too but this is one I know for 100% damn sure that results in positive affinity each time.

edit: you will need to join the faction to be able to take missions from the mission board first.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Jesus Christ, the game crashed and now the PC Gamepass version won't start. I get an error message. I try to repair and it won't repair, so the Xbox app decides to delete the game and force me to redownload the game.

MIcrosoft, go fuck yourself with this stupid ass system.

Seriously, fuck you Microsoft.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I don’t think any companion is okay with your actions during the CF quests (well Vasco don’t care)
It’s a weird questline, multi-layered on guilt, they’re pulling all the strings to make you feel guilty no matter your choices, I played both scenarios til the end and there is always someone that walks away thinking you’re a pos. I used Vasco in the final mission, let him do the shooting and mostly rushed,jumped, sneaked, powered, through the level to have it line up okay with my Roger Wilco space quest guy who just happened to be at the wrong spot at the wrong time.
I think that's because the Constellation companions just suck overall.

I prefer joining the Fleet so I can get vendors all in one convenient location, you can sell Contraband here to but not as good as The Den/Red Mile, on top of that personally like Mathis as a Crew member if you are friendly towards him and it's generally more fun to be a Pirate then to be a UC Sys Def person.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

Zathalus

I've run into the married couple, the grandma, some cryptic dude, and the Uranus asshole. Oh and the UC marines I saved.

Still waiting on someone to contact me about my extended warranty.

Last edited:

Fess

Summary at 65+ hours:

My IRL days these days is all about finding spots in my daily schedule when I can play this game for a bit.

And my evenings is all about pushing forward the time when I should be in bed to have a functional brain the next day.

I can’t remember when I last behaved like that.

The game isn’t without faults but my feeling is that the positive things greatly outweigh the negative things, and in the end it’s easy to just say it’s an amazing game. I’ll likely have it as my #2 or #1 GOTY this year.

Biggest complaint I have is about the boring bodytypes and clothes and complete lack of sex appeal. It’s like the peak of western tame character design when they try to shave off everything that could possibly end up offending someone. So incredibly boring. Not even in the night clubs can you find anything worth looking twice at. If this is the future for humanity then overpopulation is solved at least, nobody can be interested in any cuddle time in this world. Boooring.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
This really is the kind of game you have work to enjoy. If you concentrate on certain aspects of it, it's a great time - but you have to ignore a lot of it as well. Its size helps in this regard.

The banal, lukewarm, oh-so politically correct and puritanical bits of it are certainly one of the aspects I'm ignoring as hard as possible. Along with the awful approach to open world exploration.

I can't see me getting anywhere near 100%ing this, but there's enough to keep me going for maybe half that, all told.
Agreed. There’s a lot to like, but you need to selectively ignore the ultra-sanitized PC ideology, the archaic janky engine and its many limitations, the mediocre writing, the bad combat. That makes it sound terrible and it’s not, it’s actually a lot of fun most of the time, but it’s hard to look past the serious problems when they undermine scenarios so severely.

For example, in one quest you rescue a kid, and it takes about two minutes to bring them back to New Atlantis. But then you tell them that someday maybe when they’re an adult they can go take the long and arduous voyage back to where they were to visit. It literally takes two minutes, without fast travel! And it’s a direct jump from Alpha Centauri, yet people talk about it like it’s someplace no one would ever find.

There’s no epic journey of exploration and discovery to be found in this game, so far. Too many seams, too many disconnects from what it wants to be vs what you experience.

But I’ve only finished one big faction questline so I’ll keep going.

SCB3

I managed to miss the UC faction missions completely so gone back to do them, the lore leading up to this is fantastic and should've been somewhat mandatory I think, it sets the universe up super well, as an aside I've gotten that good at the Sapce combat that the simulation they ask you to do was piss easy even at the last tier

SCB3

Agreed. There’s a lot to like, but you need to selectively ignore the ultra-sanitized PC ideology, the archaic janky engine and its many limitations, the mediocre writing, the bad combat. That makes it sound terrible and it’s not, it’s actually a lot of fun most of the time, but it’s hard to look past the serious problems when they undermine scenarios so severely.
Par for the course on most of Bethedsa games to be honest I remember having to work to love Skyrim, Fallout clicked with me almost instantly and even 4 has my least amount of hours played for those games

Fess

I think that's because the Constellation companions just suck overall.

I prefer joining the Fleet so I can get vendors all in one convenient location, you can sell Contraband here to but not as good as The Den/Red Mile, on top of that personally like Mathis as a Crew member if you are friendly towards him and it's generally more fun to be a Pirate then to be a UC Sys Def person.
Yeah I went with that choice too
didn’t plan it but UC lured me into that world with their undercover plan and by the end I had bonded with some of the CF guys and it felt absolutely bizarre to go out assassinating them all if I choose the UC.
I don’t role play a pirate though but I’m in the gray area kinda like Han Solo and then strictly following rules is difficult.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Yeah I went with that choice too
didn’t plan it but UC lured me into that world with their undercover plan and by the end I had bonded with some of the CF guys and it felt absolutely bizarre to go out assassinating them all if I choose the UC.
I don’t role play a pirate though but I’m in the gray area kinda like Han Solo and then strictly following rules is difficult.
My original run had me supporting UC but since I struck out with killing people twice Ikande tried to kill me on his Flagship which cemented my hate for him(literally no better then the Pirates he wants to kill) so I joined the Pirates and a lot of the Pirates were very human characters as opposed to Sys Def. So it was really cool escaping to my ship and having to Grab Jump out of there with EVERY ship ON MY ASS.

Ironically I think my favorite on the Fleet was the Smuggler Girl Huan Daiyu.

And I think my favorite part is retrieving all those Credits and then having to escape the huge ship as it was tearing itself apart. Very cool.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Personally Ive never expected sexual appeal from any Bethesda game. At least in this game it kinda fits the Star Trek vibe, which was always the sexless branch of sci fi. I'm into Farscape / Battlestar Galactica sexy sci fi too but sterile futurism is not new.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Summary at 65+ hours:

My IRL days these days is all about finding spots in my daily schedule when I can play this game for a bit.

And my evenings is all about pushing forward the time when I should be in bed to have a functional brain the next day.

I can’t remember when I last behaved like that.

The game isn’t without faults but my feeling is that the positive things greatly outweigh the negative things, and in the end it’s easy to just say it’s an amazing game. I’ll likely have it as my #2 or #1 GOTY this year.

Biggest complaint I have is about the boring bodytypes and clothes and complete lack of sex appeal. It’s like the peak of western tame character design when they try to shave off everything that could possibly end up offending someone. So incredibly boring. Not even in the night clubs can you find anything worth looking twice at. If this is the future for humanity then overpopulation is solved at least, nobody can be interested in any cuddle time in this world. Boooring.

Topher

Gold Member
Just finished Ryujin faction. Not my favorite, but next play through I may go more stealth which is what this one really requires. Probably make it a bit more enjoyable.

• Thoughtful
Top Bottom