• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield PC Performance Thread

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I don’t know what to tell you.

Playing at 4k, high settings . Fsr on. Mod for dlss. Setting to 62% render scale nets me 47-54 fps at best.
Yeah, thats what i am getting outdoors. indoors, you should be getting a locked 60 fps. I just didnt want you using ultra settings.

you can try going to 58% render scale which puts the game to dlss balanced and get some extra performance that way. maybe 5 fps. FSR also has a hit so maybe settle for 2560*1440p and let your ultrawide monitor handle the horizontal scaling. see how many fps you can gain.

I also had luck disabling motion blur and depth of field in games like RE4 and Hogwarts which netted me a good 5% in performance on average. thats roughly 2.5 fps which should bring you closer to a locked 60 fps.

just dont benchmark indoors where gpu load is very low or in Atlantis where cpu becomes a bottleneck.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I checked GeForce optimization recommendations for kicks. Lmao it wants all low settings.

I don’t care what anyone says. This is the worst optimized game PERIOD.

Nfactor_AF

Neo Member
My Experiences so far about 8 hours in (took my time on the Kreet moon did the story mission and hit up the pirate warehouse)

Starfield Settings: 4K / Ultra / No upscaling No FSR No VRS
9900K 5.0Ghz / RTX 4090 / 64Gb Ram DDR4-3600 CL16 / ReBAR On / 2Tb Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVME SSD / Windows 11 Pro 22H2

Problem Areas / Slow Downs I saw:

- Mining Area Plastic tarp on way out to see Barett the first time ( lost frames just looking at and interacting with it)
- Inside the Frontier Spaceship cabin looking at the bright lights on the dining table and desk (the over saturated lighting above had a slight framerate slow down while walking by)
- Weird stuttering when in the space battle tutorial shooting the pirate ships (mostly while turning the ship to give chase before attacking)
- On Kreet looking at the hot spring too close next to the smoke a slight slow down
- Inside the Pirate Abandoned Warehouse which is just south of the Red Fleet mission (inside the warehouse in the middle there is tons of cubemapped surfaces in a massive battle among catwalks with smoke (massive slowdowns everywhere looking at the pipes and boilers in this huge multilevel room)
- same area has above, there is a battle with a level 9 Pirate with shields and explosive pipes in this dark industrial room, you can make the pipes explode and stay on fire (massive slowdowns to 30fps or under if you get close to the fires or smoke after lighting up the enemies in there)
- In Atlantis City, Problem areas (the shining areas in the store where you meet the "art dealer" for a side mission, some of tree heavy laiden concourses with alot of npc's (shining cube maps have bigger slow down areas then foilage or npc's do)

GymWolf

Gold Member
If you want 90 FoV (not sure if V or H) for both first and third person, then yes.
I fear to fuck up the performance eve more if i put 100 fov.

Does this thing actually work? I heard some people saying that they didn't noticed any difference.

GymWolf

Gold Member
40 fps is the way to go

it is super responsive if you have some gpu headroom
giphy.gif

:messenger_winking_tongue::messenger_blowing_kiss:

Elysium44

Banned
how does it do that?
any chance the official day 1 patch will improve perf?

One of the posts there says:

It's just a collection of .ini files that change the games underlying graphics settings (some of which are not in the UI).

Same thing modders did for Skyrim and Fallout, but that's not a bad thing. Many of these changes legit work - but not always without graphical quality reductions.

MacReady13

I7 13700k
32 gigs ddr5

No idea on how it runs as the thing is STILL downloading on windows store. Saying it now has just over 300gb to download!

Anyone with similar specs please let me know how it runs. Started it on my series x as I was away but home today and downloading now.

Paying an extra every month to make a game work as it supposed to work, nah i'm good:messenger_neutral:
According to DSOG - "If you have subscribed and then unsubscribed from PureDark’s Patreon, you’ll still be able to pass authentication. Also, after your first authentication, the mod won’t ever ask you to re-authenticate it." So £4.50 I assume.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
According to DSOG - "If you have subscribed and then unsubscribed from PureDark’s Patreon, you’ll still be able to pass authentication. Also, after your first authentication, the mod won’t ever ask you to re-authenticate it."
Wow, so you only have to pay once?

Still good but thanks for the info.

(Not a matter of money, it's the principle, i'm not against the modder asking money neither)

Last edited:

DeaDPo0L84

Mods I have downloaded so far:
-Fov fix
-ultrawide fix
-reshade
-DLSS 3 w/frame gen. With my 4090/13700k I now don't drop below 100fps regardless where I am at and what's going on, truly a game changer.
-XP bar moved to left of screen
-Achievement enabler
-Unlimited carryweight
-60fps ship reticle

Screenshots I posted in the other thread but since this is PC specific here you go, no spoilers!
Screenshot-2023-09-02-015911.png
Screenshot-2023-09-02-013730.png
Screenshot-2023-09-02-012948.png

Last edited:
-Fov fix
-ultrawide fix
-reshade
-DLSS 3 w/frame gen. With my 4090/13700k I now don't drop below 100fps regardless where I am at and what's going on, truly a game changer.
-Achievement enabler
-Unlimited carryweight
-60fps ship reticle

Screenshots I posted in the other thread but since this is PC specific here you go, no spoilers!
Looks really nice!

john2gr

Just a heads up that the in-game presets will automatically enable FSR 2.0. If you choose the Ultra preset, the game will enable FSR 2.0 at 75% by default. In the High preset, you'll get FSR 2.0 at 62% by default. In Medium settings you'll get FSR 2.0 at 50%. Nobody has mentioned this behavior so some benchmarkers may have fallen victim to this behavior (with incorrect results). This is exactly what happened with Cyberpunk 2077 (and that infamous incorrect graph from LinusTechTips). So make sure to double-check your settings and disable FSR 2.0 because the game does not scale well when lowering the settings.

NVIDIA RTX4090
AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D

Uy4fM5u.png

Last edited:

Rossco EZ

-Fov fix
-ultrawide fix
-reshade
-Achievement enabler
-Unlimited carryweight
-60fps ship reticle

is there any tutorials on how to install the mods?

yamaci17

pretty funny to see hArDwARe UnBoxED to turn the narrative and claim that the game restrained itself to 8 gb vram because of "gpu manufecturers' choice"

oh is it now? for some reason Series S is not existing in the world of VRAMUnboxed

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
pretty funny to see hArDwARe UnBoxED to turn the narrative and claim that the game restrained itself to 8 gb vram because of "gpu manufecturers' choice"

oh is it now? for some reason Series S is not existing in the world of VRAMUnboxed

You do realize that the Series S by running with a lower resolution means that most buffers will be much smaller and occupy less memory.
The Series S also has effects using lower resolution or detail, to save in performance and memory footprint.

Top Bottom