• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield PC Performance Thread

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Someone let me know what good cheaper PC build would be to get locked 1440p or even 4K, 60fps going. That's all I need.

I do not think that exists at all. There seems to be something besides just hardware power that can tank the game in New Atlantis.

Good thing is I have not seen that happen anywhere else.

StereoVsn

Someone let me know what good cheaper PC build would be to get locked 1440p or even 4K, 60fps going. That's all I need.
Probably 7800x3d with 7900xt would be best bet. 7900xtx would be better but more $$.

Edit: Meant best hardware for the money for this game. It's not going to guarantee stability though, lol. AMD GPUs are performing better right now though.

Last edited:
Probably 7800x3d with 7900xt would be best bet. 7900xtx would be better but more $$.
Awesome, thanks I'm still kind of teetering on the line of whether I want to just build a 4080 machine with an I5 or I7 for like $2,200 or if I want to try and finagle under that in like the $1,500 to $2,000 range.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Awesome, thanks I'm still kind of teetering on the line of whether I want to just build a 4080 machine with an I5 or I7 for like $2,200 or if I want to try and finagle under that in like the $1,500 to $2,000 range.
For Starfield, go with AMD. Gaming wise 7800x3d is best bet. You should be able to get into your price range for this sort of a box, especially with 7900xt vs 4080 price wise.

Now, that's assuming you have a monitor/TV. If not, well, that's a bit different conversation.

Kakax11

Banned
I've had few crashes then locked it to 60fps and got 1hr solid, few frame drops randomly using the DLSS mod (the one without reshade)

For Starfield, go with AMD. Gaming wise 7800x3d is best bet. You should be able to get into your price range for this sort of a box, especially with 7900xt vs 4080 price wise.

Now, that's assuming you have a monitor/TV. If not, well, that's a bit different conversation.
Oh yea I already have a 55" LG E8 OLED it's a little old (2018) I think but it still looks incredible. So most PC games look great when I can turn on V-Sync.

But my current computer was chugging last night barely getting over 30fps.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Can anyone confirm if the FOV .ini workaround is Vertical or Horizontal? Can't test myself until after work.

blakdecaf

Been fairly solid for me on an RX 6750XT. Ultra settings, 1440p, 50fps ish. Does hit 60 at times, but not constantly.

Last edited:

draliko

Nice! How is CPU utilization?
From 20 to 80%😅🤣 didn't really have some big slowdown, only some hiccups sometimes, load times are good on a 980pro nvme. Games need optimisation for sure but it isn't so bad.
Now I've locked FPS to 80 and using a reshade preset to de green the image😅

Last edited:
Tbh it's better than I expected after last night's meltdown on steam forums.
With a 5800x3d and 3080 I just set everything to high except shadows to medium and fsr with the scaling at 58%. Locked it at 60fps and called it a day. Stays there about 90% of the time.

And boy do I love this fucking game after 6 hours of playtime.

Sanepar

I think I will do what I did with Cyberpunk leave the game on library and wait for updates for 6-12 months. I got it really cheap for $49

damidu

are they fixing hdr shit for actual release, that is beyond dumb, especially if the game is washed out at sdr

There's already a bunch of mods on Nexus. This game just launched yesterday. Truely amazing work by the modders.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Hmm, not getting great performance on my system at 3440x1440p.

Averaging in the 40-60's outside (can dip down to 30 rarely). Runs a bit higher when indoors but not great. Also doesn't feel smooth at times even when it is running at higher FPS, like the frame pacing is off.

AMD Ryzen 3900x
ASUS Strix OC 3090 24GB
32GB DDR4 3600 Mhz

I know my CPU is getting on the older side but was hoping for better performance.

I have tried the DLSS mod and some of the suggested performance tweaks but am not seeing a whole lot of difference.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Hmm, not getting great performance on my system at 3440x1440p.

Averaging in the 40-60's outside (can dip down to 30 rarely). Runs a bit higher when indoors but not great. Also doesn't feel smooth at times even when it is running at higher FPS, like the frame pacing is off.

AMD Ryzen 3900x
ASUS Strix OC 3090 24GB
32GB DDR4 3600 Mhz

I know my CPU is getting on the older side but was hoping for better performance.

I have tried the DLSS mod and some of the suggested performance tweaks but am not seeing a whole lot of difference.

That's an old CPU for a CPU demanding game like Starfield.

From Steve's benchmarks: 6800xt almost 15% faster than the 3080 so definitely favoring AMD cards right now.

UF0KzHi.jpg
Yeah I think this graph is pretty accurate for me, my 3080 averages right in the low 60s.

Edit: would it be unethical to go borrow a 7900xt from microcenter? Lol

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Gave up on 60 fps.

Settled for 40 with drops to 30 on a 3080 using the dlss mod. Set it to ultra with 75% scaling I believe.

Absolutely the worst performance of any game I’ve played since getting the pc.

Bethesda did NOT try one bit.

Will not be buying elder scrolls 6 on release unless I have the utmost banger rig available at time of launch.

My friend bought a Xbox series X to play this and I was confused since he has a gaming PC he could’ve just upgraded instead. In the end we are both playing 30fps on machines that are vastly different in terms of performance potential.

Hawk269

I'm not gonna claim insight on everything but people with really good gpus are reporting bad perfomance
I have a really good GPU and performance at Native 4k, NO FSR, NO DLSS and max settings and getting between 63-80fps in the massive first city, which is where most people are seeing drops. No crashes or anything odd in the 5 hours I played on the PC version. The only thing I did not notice that was smoother on the Series X was that when you first hit the part in space where you fight a few ships, the name plate of the enemy ships seemed very gittery like it was stuttering, but it was just the text name above the ships, the shipts themselves were smooth as silk. Really odd..but that was the only thing that I have noticed so far.

yamaci17

Gave up on 60 fps.

Settled for 40 with drops to 30 on a 3080 using the dlss mod. Set it to ultra with 75% scaling I believe.

Will not be buying elder scrolls 6 on release unless I have the utmost banger rig available at time of launch.

My friend bought a Xbox series X to play this and I was confused since he has a gaming PC he could’ve just upgraded instead. In the end we are both playing 30fps on machines that are vastly different in terms of performance potential.
40 fps is the way to go

it is super responsive if you have some gpu headroom

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Dont judge the game based on Atlantis. Its heavily CPU bound there despite some really good multi-threading.

Game scales really well with better CPUs so all of you out there who cheaped out on CPUs while spending thousands of GPUs are finally going to pay for it.

Last edited:

MikeM

Gold Member
Dont judge the game based on Atlantis. Its heavily CPU bound there despite some really good multi-threading.

Game scales really well with better CPUs so all of you out there who cheaped out on CPUs while spending thousands of GPUs are finally going to pay for it.

Perf seems decent enough on a 5600. Capping to 60fps for me with a 7900xt should allow for a smooth experience

SlimySnake

Gave up on 60 fps.

What CPU do you have?

Why are you going with ultra? You have to start settling for High now on mid range GPUs like the 3080. This is a next gen game designed around a 12 tflops console, not the 1.3 tflops baseline we've been getting all gen that allowed the 3080 to do everything maxed out at 4k 60-100 fps.

What CPU do you have? I am getting 60 fps with room to spare in many indoor areas. Outdoors sits around 50 fps but feels smooth because of my gsync monitor.

Game scales well with lowering settings. Difference between ultra and high and medium and low is 20% extra performance for each tier. CPU and GPU scaling is good too. The game just prefers AMD GPUs. Other than that, it is really not a poorly optimized game or anything like that.

Arsic

Why are you going with ultra? You have to start settling for High now on mid range GPUs like the 3080. This is a next gen game designed around a 12 tflops console, not the 1.3 tflops baseline we've been getting all gen that allowed the 3080 to do everything maxed out at 4k 60-100 fps.

What CPU do you have? I am getting 60 fps with room to spare in many indoor areas. Outdoors sits around 50 fps but feels smooth because of my gsync monitor.

Game scales well with lowering settings. Difference between ultra and high and medium and low is 20% extra performance for each tier. CPU and GPU scaling is good too. The game just prefers AMD GPUs. Other than that, it is really not a poorly optimized game or anything like that.

Something is wrong then because my cpu is 11th gen Intel core I-7-11700kf @3.60 ghz. 16gb ram. 3080 from nvidia.

I can change from ultra to high and see 0 improvement in fps . All drivers are updated.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
My frame rates have dipped into the 50s, but overall I'm not too fussed about the performance so far. I'm running 4k ultra, no upscaling. Not great performance by any means, but it isn't like I'm constantly being distracted from game play to dips and such.

Edit: Actually I just noticed that frames due drop to the 40s in New Atlantis.

Last edited:
Exactly, every new game is released without any optimization pass.

Looks like SDR and HDR is broken in this game, amazing...

This studio is just a bunch of incompetent fucks, even with MS money.

Why is the whole game so green? Is it green themed because Xbox? Or maybe Starfield occurs inside The Matrix?

SlimySnake

Something is wrong then because my cpu is 11th gen Intel core I-7-11700kf @3.60 ghz. 16gb ram. 3080 from nvidia.

I can change from ultra to high and see 0 improvement in fps . All drivers are updated.
i literally have the same exact CPU. It's a fantastic CPU for modern next gen games. Way better than AMD counterparts thanks to its high clocks that can go upto 5.0 ghz. The only thing different for me is that i have 32GB of ram but this game doesnt seem to care about ram or vram. You should be fine with 4k high settings as long as you use FSR.

Ultra vs high is a massive drop. Just because you are not seeing a drop could mean that particular area is CPU bound.

Th1zANR.jpg

Last edited:

Arsic

i literally have the same exact CPU. It's a fantastic CPU for modern next gen games. Way better than AMD counterparts thanks to its high clocks that can go upto 5.0 ghz. The only thing different for me is that i have 32GB of ram but this game doesnt seem to care about ram or vram. You should be fine with 4k high settings as long as you use FSR.

Ultra vs high is a massive drop. Just because you are not seeing a drop could mean that particular area is CPU bound.

Th1zANR.jpg

I don’t know what to tell you.

Playing at 4k, high settings . Fsr on. Mod for dlss. Setting to 62% render scale nets me 47-54 fps at best.

Top Bottom