• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield | Review Thread

What scores do you think StarfieId will get?

• 40-45%

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • 45-50%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 50-55%

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 55-60%

• 60-65%

• 65-70%

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • 70-75%

Votes: 5 0.8%
  • 75-80%

Votes: 15 2.3%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 81 12.5%
  • 85-90%

Votes: 241 37.3%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 243 37.6%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 55 8.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The game is out in 9 hours.

I don't agree that embargo timing has anything to do with quality, but the game is absolutely out today.
Early Access is today if you paid $100. Otherwise, it's September 6th as the global public launch. But yes, it's a weird week early launch lol. I am pretty sure this is a good way for them to get easy quick money to recoup some development costs.

I do not think it's a scummy practice. The development budgets are out of control, you'll have to find ways to squeeze some extra dollars back. It makes complete sense from a business perspective, I would do the same thing.

Last edited:

Bernoulli

M2 slut
today is the release date, they frame it as early access so they can make an extra 30 bucks. the masses will be playing it today. it's a scummy practice but it's the reality these days for a lot of games.

Simon Cowell Wow GIF by America's Got Talent

SCB3

today is the release date, they frame it as early access so they can make an extra 30 bucks. the masses will be playing it today. it's a scummy practice but it's the reality these days for a lot of games.
eh its kinda like a season pass and some extra exclusive content as well, for example the CoD MW3 Vault edition is like that, if you play a lot of CoD I can see it being worth the extra price

Montauk

And they could have sent out codes for reviews to drop prior to early access, if they wanted to. They chose not to.

Hopefully it’s fine though.

Stuart360

Right for the sake of my own sanity, i'll be off the forum for a few days. This place is going to be a hell hole the next few days and i know i wont be able to keep my mouth shut ha, and i'm not getting banned over it.

So have fun guys but dont get yourself banned, its not worth it.

Enjoy the game and lets hope its everything we hope for!.:messenger_sunglasses:

danklord

Gold Member
You know how movies release in theaters and cost money, then a little later it’s on streaming? This is like that.

Last edited:

Montauk

You know how movies release in theaters and cost money, then a little later it’s on streaming? This is like that.

Yeah and what’s the release date of the movie in that case? When it came out in cinemas.

When it became a product that people buy and consume.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I see some people are getting their excuses in early.

Is this what we call "managing expectations"?

With all the hype surrounding this and the amount of budget thrown at it anything less than stellar reviews has to be seen as a disappointment.

I see some people are trying to ratchet up the tension and set rules about what would be a disappointment.

How did this place get to be so crazy?!

reinking

Gold Member
but an 8/10 for this game would be a failure and a 7/10 would be a collossal failure, and 6/10 would be a cataclysmic failure.

9/10 - 10/10 is where the ambitions of this game lie. Anything less is unacceptable considering how much Xbox have riding on this game.
I would not say anything below 90’s is unacceptable. Disappointing maybe.

quest

Not Banned from OT
I see some people are trying to ratchet up the tension and set rules about what would be a disappointment.

How did this place get to be so crazy?!
It was always going to be war. The fact Sony tried to secure a money hat. Then Microsoft bought the company before the money hat could be secured. So it was 1 side gloating then the other side gloating rubbing it in.

skneogaf

He is known as being a bad player, but its probably true.

It makes sense due to the procedural generated planets, but those who have cities (Neon and etc.) should have had a map

Huge oversight

Will post it again since I posted it at the end of the page
--------------------------

A brazilian reviewer (really bad one imo, but popular in Brazil) leaked his review

Scored it 8.5

Some points:

+ Said good things about the graphics. Looks really, really good in general ("lighting is brilliant")
+ Performance is pretty great, 30 with some rare dips. Complained about it lacking 60 FPS mode, but it was a very pleasent 30.
+ Soundtrack is "epic" and sound design is really good and satisfying. Dub is okay.
+ Most polished Bethesda game ever. No crashes at all and few bugs, but nothing major. Talked to other reviewers, no one experienced some serious bugs.
+ Spaceships look awesome (but combat is bad)
+ Main missions and sidequests are really good. They are simple in design, but they are well written and engaging. Best part of the game.

- Loading galore. Lots, lots of loading screens (shows 22 seconds long loading to enter one planet)
- There's no map. You have a galaxy map, but you dont have a planet map. So exploring cities, finding vendors and etc. is really hard. You have to memorize where they are.
- AI is really simple. No challenge during combat (companion AI is also pretty bad)
- Facial expressions are really bad. Nothing that would make you drop the game, but it sticks out.
- Exploration mechanics are underutilized. He never needed to prepare to explore an specific planet due to its toxic nature and etc., they all played the same
- No vehicles, so you have limited options for traversal

Overall: Great game.

This seems a very realistic liklihood review of many sites.

My playstation fanatic friend has bought an xbox series x for this game but it being a great game will likely be a let down to him as I think he was thinking it will be the best game ever.

Fuck the scores I want to enjoy it like I enjoyed elden ring or rdr2 i got lost in their world in a very pleasant way
Especially elden ring my god that game was amazing

Top Bottom