• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield | Review Thread

What scores do you think StarfieId will get?

• 40-45%

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • 45-50%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 50-55%

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 55-60%

• 60-65%

• 65-70%

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • 70-75%

Votes: 5 0.8%
  • 75-80%

Votes: 15 2.3%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 81 12.5%
  • 85-90%

Votes: 241 37.3%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 243 37.6%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 55 8.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
For the record since people are so desperate for gotchas, I never overly hyped this game. I said I am expecting Fallout in space since day 1. Fallout doesn't have great enemy AI. I never expected great enemy AI from a Bethesda RPG. I've been skeptical of Bethesda being able to keep up with other open world studios for several years. I only got optimistic about the game after the long direct they did.

Other people besides me have overly hyped this game. Go start fights with them if that's the kind of crap you guys like to do.

GHG

Gold Member
Game can have what some perceive to be acceptable shortcomings and still be considered someone's favorite game for the next 10+ years. No game will ever be 100% perfect.

And as always what flaws an individual deems to be acceptable is subjective. There are plenty of people who have games that are their favourite game of all time which don't rank in the top 100 in terms of meta/opencritic ranking.

No, no game will ever be perfect, but when a game has had the budget, time and recourses thrown at it that this one has then it's not too much to ask that they strive for perfection. The expectations are what they are for a number of reasons.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
For the record since people are so desperate for gotchas, I never overly hyped this game. I said I am expecting Fallout in space since day 1. Fallout doesn't have great enemy AI. I never expected great enemy AI from a Bethesda RPG. I've been skeptical of Bethesda being able to keep up with other open world studios for several years. I only got optimistic about the game after the long direct they did.

Other people besides me have overly hyped this game. Go start fights with them if that's the kind of crap you guys like to do.

I completely agree with you. Go through my post history from however long ago. All I have ever expected and wanted is Fallout in space. With space combat.

I feel confident they will deliver on that, and I will have a great time as that is what I am really hyped for!

I just finished outer worlds and know exactly what a modern version of these types of games can offer. Loading screens and all!

Last edited:

VinnyMac

It'll get alot of paid love I'm sure xbox desperately needs this to be good. I honestly don't understand the hype I hope it lives up to your guys expectations but Todd Howard and Bethesda have a shitty track record. I'm just not a fan of fallout games and this looks like no man's sky and fallout had a baby just not for me.

I was watching someone play it on tik tok last night and I'm sure it was just the stream but it did look junky when walking.

Gudji

rGjKQT4.png

Nice.

johnjohn

Damn, the review thread’s already getting spicy even before the reviews drop lol.

Looks like the “MS paid for these review scores” and “Bethesda manipulated these scores” are going to be the key taking points lol.

Last edited:

JusticeForAll

Gold Member
One thing is for sure, MS/X-box needs this to be very good. I don't think they would dare to release it if it's not after all the disappointments they had these past years. So in that way, I'm quite confident it will be good.

jm89

I'm sure this will score high, probably 90+ if i had to put a bet

But loving the early damage control though :messenger_beaming:

Arachnid

A brazilian reviewer (really bad one imo, but popular in Brazil) leaked his review

Scored it 8.5

Some points:

+ Said good things about the graphics. Looks really, really good in general ("lighting is brilliant")
+ Performance is pretty great, 30 with some rare dips. Complained about it lacking 60 FPS mode, but it was a very pleasent 30.
+ Soundtrack is "epic" and sound design is really good and satisfying. Dub is okay.
+ Most polished Bethesda game ever. No crashes at all and few bugs, but nothing major. Talked to other reviewers, no one experienced some serious bugs.
+ Spaceships look awesome (but combat is bad)
+ Main missions and sidequests are really good. They are simple in design, but they are well written and engaging. Best part of the game.

- Loading galore. Lots, lots of loading screens (shows 22 seconds long loading to enter one planet)
- There's no map. You have a galaxy map, but you dont have a planet map. So exploring cities, finding vendors and etc. is really hard. You hate to memorize where they are.
- AI is really simple. No challenge during combat (companion AI is also pretty bad)
- Facial expressions are really bad. Nothing that would make you drop the game, but it sticks out.
- Exploration mechanics are underutilized. He never needed to prepare to explore an specific planet due to its toxic nature and etc., they all played the same
- No vehicles, so you have limited options for traversal

Overall: Great game.
No maps on planets with a game this big is wild. At least have a topagraphical map that lets you put down your own points Elden Ring/TOTK style. Memorizing each planet is insane

It'll get alot of paid love I'm sure xbox desperately needs this to be good. I honestly don't understand the hype I hope it lives up to your guys expectations but Todd Howard and Bethesda have a shitty track record. I'm just not a fan of fallout games and this looks like no man's sky and fallout had a baby just not for me.

I was watching someone play it on tik tok last night and I'm sure it was just the stream but it did look junky when walking.

That sounds horrible. I judge a game fiercely on core mechanics like walking and running animation and feel. I obssess over polish, refinement and attention to detail. Janky/junky walking is a bad no-no for me when you'll be staring at it constantly for the duration of a 3rd-person game.

ByWatterson

No maps on planets with a game this big is wild. At least have a topagraphical map that lets you put down your own points Elden Ring/TOTK style. Memorizing each planet is insane

Obviously they have very different design goals, but NMS doesn't have planet maps either - but that's because you're made to sort of exist for a bit on most planets, and then move on.

Whether or not a map is needed here depends almost entirely on how long you're supposed to spend on planets.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
I don't care to mitigate any "damage." I literally just said I didn't personally expect any great AI, which is consistent with what I've said about this game, and this studio for years.

The trolling is so intense that if I try to take a grounded and realistic view of what's coming, people say it's "damage control." Makes it pretty much impossible to talk about the game.

Banjo64

cumsessed
That sounds horrible. I judge a game fiercely on core mechanics like walking and running animation and feel. I obssess over polish, refinement and attention to detail. Janky/junky walking is a bad no-no for me when you'll be staring at it constantly for the duration of a 3rd-person game.
Have you ever played a BGS game? :messenger_tears_of_joy: Just play in first person would be my advice.

Stuart360

If Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 3, Skyrim, Fallout 4 is a 'shitty track record', we may as well close down the gaming industry and take up a new hobby.

Arachnid

Obviously they have very different design goals, but NMS doesn't have planet maps either - but that's because you're made to sort of exist for a bit on most planets, and then move on.

Whether or not a map is needed here depends almost entirely on how long you're supposed to spend on planets.
That's fair too, but I wouldn't brush past that design goals point. I'd imagine NMSs quest design wouldn't be near as intricate as a Bethesda game like Skryrim, right? Imagine trying to keep track of all NPCs and their locations as you make your way from branching quest point to point, or even different planets (which you know at least a few quests have to be multiplanitary).

ByWatterson

That's fair too, but I wouldn't brush past that design goals point. I'd imagine NMSs quest design wouldn't be near as intricate as a Bethesda game like Skryrim, right? Imagine trying to keep track of all NPCs and their locations as you make your way from branching quest point to point, or even different planets (which you know at least a few quests have to be multiplanitary).

For sure. Perhaps some planets with more hand-crafted content have more navigation tools?

LordCBH

Yep. You're good.

Also, if you pre-load, be prepared for a lengthy decryption process when it drops tonight.

Man. On my old internet, preload on steam was great cause the decryption was still faster than pushing the download when the game went live. Now? Preloading on steam is bad for me cause my internet is too good lol

SCB3

Yep. You're good.

Also, if you pre-load, be prepared for a lengthy decryption process when it drops tonight.
I'll leave the PC on overnight, got a new CPU coming tomorrow as well as my older one is really falling behind (Ryzen 2600)

MiguelItUp

To be fair, the game is out today for those that pay up for the premium version for "early access." Even they're not labeling it as "launch" because, technically it's not "launch" as it's not accessible to everyone. Only those that pay to get it earlier.

960x0.jpg

I have the Premium edition on Steam but it still says Sept 6th, same for anyone else?
It's unlocking later today.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I'm still going with 90. Have fun. I won't be playing it for a while. I've got bg3 and ff16 waiting in my backlog.

SCB3

I will say though its been disappointing seeing some Content Creators complain about not getting codes early, like ffs you are not entitled to one at all, count yourself lucky or fucking buy the game yourself

tmlDan

I know reviews are coming out soon but i kinda dont want to watch or see reviews until i get my hands on it

Kacho

Gold Member
Man. On my old internet, preload on steam was great cause the decryption was still faster than pushing the download when the game went live. Now? Preloading on steam is bad for me cause my internet is too good lol
Love your avatar man

Top Bottom