• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield | Review Thread

What scores do you think StarfieId will get?

• 40-45%

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • 45-50%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 50-55%

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 55-60%

• 60-65%

• 65-70%

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • 70-75%

Votes: 5 0.8%
  • 75-80%

Votes: 15 2.3%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 81 12.5%
  • 85-90%

Votes: 241 37.3%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 243 37.6%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 55 8.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Will you complain why Baldurs Gate doesn't play like Diablo 4?

Get your build in place, you will have fun after that.
Serious The Four GIF by Diddy

You all WANT inflated scores. You think there’s nothing that matters except 7-10, with 7 being a disaster. What is rest of the scale for?

The rest of the scale is for games like Redfall which should never have gotten released in the first place and shot down before they ever see the light of day.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Why improve?
I think of these as RPGs personally, not action FPS games. I think they obviously have tried to improve a lot. Personally, enemy AI is not something I really need to be that complex. I literally enjoy being able to sneak because of a stat being high instead of it being strictly based on intense sight lines and cover like a true stealth game. If you want some Halo level AI then I guess you're going to be disappointed.

Gudji

From some of the leaked videos, the only long load screens are when you land on a planet the first time, most other things like space flight etc are fade in, fade outs and the animations for the ship flying etc.
Depends on what you consider long load screens. The davy review shows different load times from 2, 4, 6, 10 to 22 seconds... this could be entering a new building, getting off a planet, getting on a new planet, etc.

Also the transitions between planets seem poorly done from what I've seen in the review video but I guess we'll find out in 2 hours. The taking off and landing animations look really cool though.

Montauk

Hey, some of use have standards, mate

And obviously your standards wouldn’t be met because of some slightly different aggregate scores, which were compiled using an inherently flawed process?

But you’re right obviously if your standards are 95 MC then a 94 MC is a disastrous flop. Yeah that seems normal.

Gaming culture seems very normal and cool now.

And what if it gets 94 MC?

Do you not realise how bizarre a way to think about games this is?
why is it bizarre when most everyone is obssessed with it getting super-high 95%+ review scores while I have been consistently saying I see it as an 84% game, but if it gets 95% I'd be surprised and will download it for free through GamePass? This IS a thread about review scores. Why are you coming in here if you think it's so bizarre? it's because the reality is that you're interested too regardless of how corrupt it is.

sinnergy

Depends on what you consider long load screens. The davy review shows different load times from 2, 4, 6, 10 to 22 seconds... this could be entering a new building, getting off a planet, getting on a new planet, etc.

Also the transitions between planets seem poorly done from what I've seen in the review video but I guess we'll find out in 2 hours. The taking off and landing animations look really cool though.
But it was never guaranteed no loafing this generation .. there are enough games released that have loading. Last gen we could have 1,5 minute loading , and look at the complains now 🤣 pathetic.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I think of these as RPGs personally, not action FPS games. I think they obviously have tried to improve a lot. Personally, enemy AI is not something I really need to be that complex. I literally enjoy being able to sneak because of a stat being high instead of it being strictly based on intense sight lines and cover like a true stealth game. If you want some Halo level AI then I guess you're going to be disappointed.
People would have a right to be, especially if you base your combat gameplay around shooter mechanics.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Nah. It’s because American culture dominates the world and American reviewers are obsessed with the school grading system where under 7/10 would be a failure.

But - and this is crazy - not everyone is American. Even more importantly, reviewing consumer products isn’t the same as grading someone’s essential education needs.

There’s no point to having a 0-10 scale if you’re rarely gonna use below 7.

I know how long it has been going on, thanks very much. But it has gotten worse and worse over that whole time.

It’s just a standard part of gaming culture now that anyone who likes the look of a game says “it better be AT LEAST an 8 or 9” in this aggressive way and unironic way.

7/10 is treated as a black mark, like it’s actually 4/10 or even 0!

Games come out and get generously reviewed (most games are slop) 1 point below some arbitrary line and half this board will go into meltdown.

Look at the amount of people coming in to ritualistically say “X MC”. Ooh yeah, there’s gonna be a lot to talk about if it’s 87 MC or 88.5 MC, isn’t there?

What the fuck happened, man?
Alright dude, good luck with your crusade against the American grading system.

The rest of us will be over here interpreting the reviews based on the scale reviewers actually use instead of obsessing over the scale we wish they would use.

Sounds like you are more obsessed with numbers than anybody else here.

Montauk

why is it bizarre when most everyone is obssessed with it getting super-high 95%+ review scores while I have been consistently saying I see it as an 84% game, but if it gets 95% I'd be surprised and will download it for free through GamePass? This IS a thread about review scores. Why are you coming in here if you think it's so bizarre? it's because the reality is that you're interested too regardless of how corrupt it is.

Good lord. You’re the guy i made up in my previous post.

“What’s the game like? Deep gameplay, bit of delightful tension between the mechanics?”

“Metacritic 84”

Can you tell me what you’ll do if the game is 94/93 MC? Seriously?

Last edited:

Gudji

But it was never guaranteed no loafing this generation .. there are enough games released that have loading. Last gen we could have 1,5 minute loading , and look at the complains now 🤣 pathetic.
So because you don't have 1 minute long times anymore this should get a pass? Cmon we've entered a new gen almost 3 years ago.

GHG

Gold Member
I see some people are getting their excuses in early.

Is this what we call "managing expectations"?

With all the hype surrounding this and the amount of budget thrown at it anything less than stellar reviews has to be seen as a disappointment.

sinnergy

So because you don't have 1 minute long times anymore this should get a pass? Cmon we've entered a new gen almost 3 years ago.
Who says anything about a pass? I don’t think loading times of 22 seconds max are a problem , for a gigantic RPG. If it was a corridor shooter we would have another discussion. The problem is people have to high expectations of this generation.

Last edited:

Kacho

Gold Member
And obviously your standards wouldn’t be met because of some slightly different aggregate scores, which were compiled using an inherently flawed process?

But you’re right obviously if your standards are 95 MC then a 94 MC is a disastrous flop. Yeah that seems normal.

Gaming culture seems very normal and cool now.
It was a joke. We’re just getting started today with the concern. Buckle up.

Punished Miku

People would have a right to be, especially if you base your combat gameplay around shooter mechanics.
Of course people have a right to feel whatever they want. I didn't ever say otherwise. I just said what I expected.

Last edited:
And what if it gets 94 MC?

Do you not realise how bizarre a way to think about games this is?

Seeing as the MC and OC use a 0-100 scale, but practically all scores are sit in the 50-100 range, you could almost safely disregard and drop the 0-50 portion and simply consider the scores to mean:

95%+ = A+ = 5-star
85-94% = A = 4-star
75-84% = B = 3-star
65-74% = C = 2-star
55-65% = D = 1-star

Anything below 55% is essentially an F then/0-star. I seriously don't see any issue here.

To answer your question, 94% is a solid A but I'm probably not going to bother, I'm just not interested in the game. It doesn't mean I'll never pick it up on sale or something in the future, but a 94% considering how much hype it's getting and in light of them being so selective with who got review copies is simply just not that impressive. That's why I said in my first post on the matter that I expect "84% when all is said and done", because I think the score will start out higher than 84% but gradually drop as more reviews come in.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I see some people are getting their excuses in early.

Is this what we call "managing expectations"?

With all the hype surrounding this and the amount of budget thrown at it anything less than stellar reviews has to be seen as a disappointment.

I expect this kind of lowball from the riff raff, but not from you G.

Disappointed Kevin Sorbo GIF

It's genuinely how I feel about this whole review score situation. I have a fairly objective view on the matter and I've not invested anything into this particular game monetarily or emotionally. I'm just here for the fireworks.

I've gotten laughed at for calling it a 84% game... we'll see who's laughing in less than 2 hours.

Mercador

Vast but bland exploration options. No soul in the game, it will be more obvious after BG3 release. We'll see but I think it won't have legs like Skyrim, Fallout. I hope I'm wrong.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
I scoff at everyone in here acting like they give a shit about the review scores knowing full well they've already pre installed or pre ordered it as the thirst is real..

Except die hard Sonys, of course

2Ich0BS.gif

GHG

Gold Member
I expect this kind of lowball from the riff raff, but not from you G.

Disappointed Kevin Sorbo GIF

What the hell are you talking about?

We've gone from this being the "game of the forever" that will be all things to all people, to now people saying "x feature doesn't matter", "AI doesn't matter", "loading doesn't matter", etc etc.

If people don't want this conversation now then maybe the game shouldn't have been hyped up to high heavens?

Last edited:

Montauk

I scoff at everyone in here acting like they give a shit about the review scores knowing full well they've already pre installed or pre ordered it as the thirst is real..

2Ich0BS.gif

Or you know anybody that thinks preordering is foolish.

2Ich0BS.gif
yeah... you're absolutely right. why do those who already have it pre-installed and know they're going to play care what the score is? I'm here to see if my prediction is correct and if it blows away my expectation and gets a worldie score of 95% I'll make space on my HD for it.

why not though? That would be ground-breaking, wouldn't it? Wouldn't you want a game you'll play consistently for the rest of your life to have world-class shooting mechanics if that were part of the game?
It's a tall order though, having said that the poster I responded to was specifically talking about AI.

Punished Miku

why not though? That would be ground-breaking, wouldn't it? Wouldn't you want a game you'll play consistently for the rest of your life to have world-class shooting mechanics if that were part of the game?
I actually wanted a VATS system. I like to play these as RPGs and not a reflex action game. I mostly don't even engage in combat in Bethesda games beyond sneak attacking people. And it's a very robotic type of stat driven stealth, not something like MGS V. I like both things.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Or you know anybody that thinks preordering is foolish.
Pre order or no, I think we already know what to expect. I doubt it's anyones first Bethesda rodeo..

Or are you expecting 2.9's across the board, or buggy? Likes that stopped previous Beth games :messenger_tears_of_joy:

splattered

What the hell are you talking about?

We've gone from this being the "game of the forever" that will be all things to all people to now people saying "x feature doesn't matter", "AI doesn't matter", "loading doesn't matter", etc etc.

If people don't want this conversation now then maybe the game shouldn't have been hyped up to high heavens?

Game can have what some perceive to be acceptable shortcomings and still be considered someone's favorite game for the next 10+ years. No game will ever be 100% perfect.

This will be the best selling MS game to date on PC and it might even cross Xbox series sales no matter what score it is.

MS did a great Job to hype this game on PC.

Montauk

Pre order or no, I think we already know what to expect. I doubt it's anyones first Bethesda rodeo..

Or are you expecting 2.9's across the board, or buggy? Likes that stopped previous Beth games :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I was referring generally to the practice of preordering generally, rather than making an oblique statement that I’m worried about this game.

Withnail

Scores are pointless and are only really obsessed over by gamers because of a need for validation and console/platform warring. And if the scores don’t match expectations people will just claim the reviewers were biased anyway.

Top Bottom