• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield | Review Thread

What scores do you think StarfieId will get?

• 40-45%

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • 45-50%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 50-55%

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 55-60%

• 60-65%

• 65-70%

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • 70-75%

Votes: 5 0.8%
  • 75-80%

Votes: 15 2.3%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 81 12.5%
  • 85-90%

Votes: 241 37.3%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 243 37.6%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 55 8.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
ofc its different because its a sony 1st party game right

fuck off will ya
Angry Jimmy Fallon GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon
Big Hero GIF

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I get that the procedurally-generated areas aren’t fun to explore (which seems all but expected), but I still assumed that the hand-crafted areas would be fairly massive and dense. Is that not the case? I’d imagine there’s still plenty of exploration to be done in those areas, yeah?

graywolf323

I personally voted 80-85, Im thinking I may have called this one after the dust settles.
proud voter of 85-90, though im worried it'll slip below when angry brits come with a vengence
I went with 85-90 myself because despite the game of the generation and other hype coming from the usual suspects/paid trolls I just had a feeling this was going to be closer to Fallout 4 than Skyrim from what had leaked

if I had actually bought into that stupid hype I’d be a lot more disappointed with what we’ve learned from some of the reviews (though I’m still honestly irritated about the procedurally generated planets turning out exactly how I feared back at the reveal)

Last edited:

Kacho

I’ve only read a few reviews so far, but it doesn’t seem like Starfield breaks any new ground. It’s just a solid Bethesda experience in space. Does that seem like the case? (Albeit a gross oversimplification.)
Yep. You nailed it.

One guy said people expecting a new Bethesda RPG are going to be pleased. People expecting No Man’s Sky will be disappointed.

Last edited:
88 is closer to perfect than average. People's reactions to the review scores don't change that.
Is this game being weighted on the scale of 'average'? That's not what I've seen.

It is currently the #32(PC) and #33(Xbox) rated games of the year on metacritic, right in-between Diablo IV and FFXVI, what's the general consensus of those games?

Fact is, Microsoft was calling this one of the most important games ever made this past E3, this place, and the whole internet were rabid with hype, and people were expecting something incredible. Not the 30th best reviewed game of the year. Now we can all play it and decide for ourselves. But an 86 for Armored Core VI is much different than an 88 for the next giant Bethesda RPG, 20 years in the making. Completely ignoring the context seems pointless, it's a huge part of the narrative.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
You’re comparing a time when there were much fewer games coming out, and full games free with magazines were usually years-old PC games (which magazine ever gifted a full console game to its readers?), to… a service that lets you play AAA games day one in a time when dozens of games come out every single month? Really?

A month of Game Pass Ultimate costs as much as two issues of a 90s monthly gaming magazine with a demo CD, just so we have a fuller picture of the preposterous comparison you’re making here.
There were much more games coming out. Only this year is pretty good but still nothing compared to years of the old

killatopak

Gold Member
Feels like one of those games that will be appreciated more in 6-12 months, once the hype has died down (and people have actually played it).
It definitely will largely because Bethesda blocked mod support on release and planning to release it later. Expect a resurgence then.

Game looks and sounds fun. the menu stuff and lack of tutorials does sound confusing and off-putting, but the story and moment to moment gameplay seems decent. I think given the hype the score is probably a bit higher than it should be, you see shite like XboxAddict giving it 100/100 which isn't really helping anyone, but folks also need to stop drinking the koolaid when it comes to space exploration games, you are never going to get hundreds of planets worth of content that's as good as handcrafted stuff.

I also don't get why procedural generation is being treated as good thing, if you watch the making of videos for Skyrim and Oblivion you'd know they used procedural generation to construct the game worlds for those too, then just handcrafted it and placed the cities etc. Nobody is actually putting those tree's down one at a time, so this game really isn't all that different other than it has planets which are randomly generated each time you land on them, sans any handcrafting of content for those planets.

DeaDPo0L84

They really should have ditched the whole "1,000's of planets to explore" nonsense and essentially copied Mass Effect and Destiny. Have 4-5 crafted planets with solid content and make the story bounce you around so you visit each one and get a taste of what they have to offer. I honestly could give two shits how many planets there are if I'm never gonna even go to 90% of them due to sheer boredom of them being more than likely repetitive experiences.

Robb

Gold Member
Yeah. That kind of sucks. No crashing into things. I guess that would be too demanding to do.

It makes sense. It would be hard to model that on a personal computer.

It is just a video game.
Yeah and maybe it’s just fine and not as big of a deal when you’re actually playing it. We’ll see.

But from the outside looking in it just seems very disappointing in a space game.

DeaDPo0L84

Yeah and maybe it’s just fine and not as big of a deal when you’re actually playing it. We’ll see.

But from the outside looking in it just seems very disappointing in a space game.
Modders on PC were able to add flying cars in CP2077 so maybe there is hope...on PC.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I know this video has already been posted but I finally had a chance to sit down and actually watch it and from what he's saying, and not because I'm personally looking for reasons not to buy this game, it is pretty damning and nowhere near even over a seven by the looks of it.

I've been deflated like this before with other games that I wanted to be good and maybe some of them even reviewed well but because I didn't like the look and feel and I read a few more objective reviews and not just some praise fest that gave it a 10 or a 9, I actually canceled pre-orders.

I have a 2-day hiatus from work coming up and really wanted to buy this game and have the money in my steam outlet ready but that particular video amongst reading and doing more research and not just looking at the ones that are highly reviewed, it screams nothing but average. It's a shame because I do think like some of the people in the videos have said, they bit off way more than they can chew and unfortunately some of the flaws or negatives in their style of game are more exposed. It's a shame and does continue that personal opinion of my own that this studio is nowhere the status it used to be some 15 or 20 years ago.

The point I'm making is for the sake of the discussion on the review but there's a lot of history with this company and I have access to play the game I don't care about the console thing, none of that matters to me. I want to play this game on my super expensive computer and it doesn't fit the bill for me to have to spend $100 tomorrow or even really get it on Game pass but I can rationalize spending less than $20 to try this game versus giving all my money to it which I was hoping to but I'm glad I'm not now.

They really should have ditched the whole "1,000's of planets to explore" nonsense and essentially copied Mass Effect and Destiny. Have 4-5 crafted planets with solid content and make the story bounce you around so you visit each one and get a taste of what they have to offer. I honestly could give two shits how many planets there are if I'm never gonna even go to 90% of them due to sheer boredom of them being more than likely repetitive experiences.
yep, sounds like an absolute egregious waste of resources by the sound of things

Fitzchiv

I'll reserve judgmenent until I've played it, but watching a few reviews it looks like your typical Bethesda game with a space flavor that mostly involves visiting dead planets with little to see or do.
I mean, we never could have predicted this, right?

So a good borderline great game. Sucks that there was so much pressure on it to be a GOTG type game. As a result it will get alot of undo hate.

For reference most consider Horizon Forbidden West a great game and that is sitting at an 88 MC a point or two higher that what Starfield will land at. Shame

Come to think of it, this is on MS IMO. The way they handled the whole situation using this title as a beacon of light for thier shitty mismanagement of thier other studios.

Full disclosure i have no interest in this game and have no horse in the race, just my observation

Last edited:

Nvzman

woah hold the fuckin phone, RDR2's combat is extremely polished, its just designed to be heavy, slow, and "realistic". Its not jank in the slightest, if you think it is you don't actually understand the definition of jank.

manlisten

Agreed. Rather have a dozen planets with unique, key areas that you want to go back to, rather than 1000 planets with a dozen generic variations between them.

DeaDPo0L84

Wait what the fuck, theres no space exploration in a space exploration game? THe more I read the more I regret my purchase, what the fuck are you even playing then? Just fast travel from empty planets, find a a stupid cave/base, do a stupid side-quest and thats it? No way. They must be exaggerating.
It's basically Destiny but instead of every planet actually having curated content and interesting things to potentially do, you might land on one of the randomly generated planets somewhere and there is fuck all to do except "feel" like you are exploring by wandering around aimlessly.

Top Bottom