• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield | Review Thread

What scores do you think StarfieId will get?

• 40-45%

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • 45-50%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 50-55%

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 55-60%

• 60-65%

• 65-70%

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • 70-75%

Votes: 5 0.8%
  • 75-80%

Votes: 15 2.3%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 81 12.5%
  • 85-90%

Votes: 241 37.3%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 243 37.6%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 55 8.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Wait what the fuck, theres no space exploration in a space exploration game? THe more I read the more I regret my purchase, what the fuck are you even playing then? Just fast travel from empty planets, find a a stupid cave/base, do a stupid side-quest and thats it? No way. They must be exaggerating.
Yep. That’s it.
But the side quests and main quests, the non generated stuff is good.

TrebleShot

Three things have killed it dead for me.

- Janky slidy animations of the character sliding and running over rocky surfaces looks extremely cheap.

- NPC animations straight out of 2008 astonishing really.

- Constant loading screens in 2023

- Bonus -

Procedural content that is repeated constantly.

Ribi

Everyone going out of their way to defend Bethesda in every leak is doing double duty defending a games that still scored 85+ which means it's still great. Lmao

Wait for reviews people eating well. Did we not learn after fo76? Wait for patches and a little sell it is. Who ever saw this coming!?! Oh that's right I did

Last edited:

Markio128

Gold Member
Those space sections seem almost superfluous. I think the game will be great overall, but I’m defo more keen on playing BG3 now if I’m being honest.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
They really should have ditched the whole "1,000's of planets to explore" nonsense and essentially copied Mass Effect and Destiny. Have 4-5 crafted planets with solid content and make the story bounce you around so you visit each one and get a taste of what they have to offer. I honestly could give two shits how many planets there are if I'm never gonna even go to 90% of them due to sheer boredom of them being more than likely repetitive experiences.
The main quest can be completed in ~18 hours. If it weren't for all these 1000 planets and lots of grinding, the game wouldn't be that long, and Bethesda wanted to say "hundreds and hundreds of hours of gameplay."

Hence the quantity over quality.

But I agree. They should have gone for 20-30 planets. 7-8 planets with main populated cities, 3-4 barren planets, 10-15 planets for resources with people and smaller settlements and villages, etc. There would be ample space travel to and from these 20-30 planets, and everything could have been created more carefully.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

The main quest can be completed in 18 hours. If it weren't for all these 1000 planets and lots of grinding, the game wouldn't be that long, and Bethesda wanted to say "hundreds and hundreds of hours of gameplay."

But I agree. They should have gone for 20-30 planets. 7-8 planets with main populated cities, 3-4 barren planets, 10-15 planets for resources with people and smaller settlements and villages, etc. There would be ample space travel to and from these 20-30 planets, and everything could have been created more carefully.
Personally I'm fine with skipping all the bullshit planets and getting 25 ish hours out of this game just doing the MSQ and some side quests. BGS can stuff the bloat.

Bojji

This honest review rally turned me off from this game, lots of repeated content and typical bethesda junk. Plus hundreds of useless planets with nothing to do...

Yeah, I will probably compete it but it's not really what I expected.

killatopak

Gold Member
The main quest can be completed in 18 hours. If it weren't for all these 1000 planets and lots of grinding, the game wouldn't be that long, and Bethesda wanted to say "hundreds and hundreds of hours of gameplay."

I mean 18 hours main quest is fine. Even Skyrim had a shorter main quest. My question is how essential it is going over to those 1000 planets. I’m also fine not going to those planets as it’s usually the side quests that’s main staple of Bethesda games. Their main quests have been kinda meh after Oblivion.

Last edited:

soulbait

CSSZbAu.jpg

This is a criticism by IGN, and it’s purely POV, but this is exactly what I want from a game focusing on exploration. I don’t want to follow map markers and way points on a map screen. Following in game signs and directions from speaking to NPCs is exactly how I want to go about finding areas of interest. That’s what I consider immersive.

That is what I found odd about their review. Now to be honest, I am opposite to you, I would rather have pointers and map icons to help me, especially when I only have an hour here or there to play. However, it did feel like they knocked down the score a lot due to these things. Going through their review, I just did not see an usual 7.0 game. The reasons just did not match.

On the other hand, maybe the game just did not gel with him well enough to where he did not think it was a 8+ game. Other video reviews I have watched on YouTube seem to be more positive. This could very well be a mixed game, where some will absolutely love it and others just think "meh", and go on to their next game.

Xbox absolutely needs a game that everyone loves and gets into, but as a game on its own, this does not sound too bad. I am looking forward to playing it tonight and seeing where I land. If I end up getting bored with it, oh well. There are plenty of other good games this year. However, I do wish this one hooks me. It looks promising.

Flabagast

Wait what the fuck, theres no space exploration in a space exploration game? THe more I read the more I regret my purchase, what the fuck are you even playing then? Just fast travel from empty planets, find a a stupid cave/base, do a stupid side-quest and thats it? No way. They must be exaggerating.
Yep, game looks like a huge slog and all things related to space exploration are illusory fluff. Try to get a refund if you can

Macaron

Banned
I'll guess 94, but wouldn't be surprised if it's a couple points higher. The realistic range is probably around 91-97.

Spider-man 2 lmao! That'll sell well, but it's not getting many awards.
Sorry bud but I have to quote you again. Hopefully you learned your lesson about laughing at other people's opinions, when I would now bet my life Spiderman 2 will review better than this game.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
It would be cool if any characters ever broke eye contact with you in dialog. Why is it so hard to understand that Bethesda characters look creepy as shit when they’re staring down my soul?

Last edited:

Zheph

Damn Alannah got blasted? I am not surprised she used to be big on Xbox but her position at Santa Monica puts her in a bad spot with fans

On Metacritic it dropped to 87 on Xbox Series. After the outcasted reviews come in i think it'll drop to 84-85.
Exactly where it belongs. Mediocrity at its finest. If it weren't for all the unduly-favorable reviews due it being Xbox's savior, it would realistically be a high-70s-to-low-80s game considering all the issues it has and how utterly disappointing it is as a GOTG contender.

Last edited:

Nvzman

Read Dead Redemption 2 controls are dog shit.
That's your opinion. Again its slow and heavy for "realism", they control fine for me although I prefer the snappy kind of controls like MGSV. There's absolutely nothing inherently wrong with how RDR2 controls, its a preference thing.

On topic, I'll still be giving Starfield a try on game pass, I think this thread is being ridiculous by pretending an 88/100 is in some way a "bad" score. Granted its definitely mildly inflated by Xbox fan sites giving it absurdly high scores, but PS and Nintendo sites do basically the same thing. But genuinely, just play the fuckin thing yourself and make an opinion of it yourself. From what it looks like, it looks like a typical modern Bethesda game, for better or worse. Thats it. I wasn't really expecting much more, its the dumbasses hyping it up to be the second coming of Christ that have themselves to blame, it never really looked like more than Fallout 4 in space, and thats basically exactly what it is.

Moochi

Lol you are seriously dillusional if you think there was no performance pressure on this game. Pretty much everything has been riding on this game for 2 years.
Another nonsensical argument against gamepass with zero credibility.

And I hate to break it to you, but lord of the rings was good.
Lord of the Rings, the Amazon show, was good? It was a disappointment when measured against its predecessors in every respect, just like Starfield.

MH3M3D

IGN and Gamespot gave it a 7! I'm honestly shocked. They tend to never score high profile games this low.

Last edited:

Agent_Nobody

Gold Member
That is what I found odd about their review. Now to be honest, I am opposite to you, I would rather have pointers and map icons to help me, especially when I only have an hour here or there to play. However, it did feel like they knocked down the score a lot due to these things. Going through their review, I just did not see an usual 7.0 game. The reasons just did not match.

On the other hand, maybe the game just did not gel with him well enough to where he did not think it was a 8+ game. Other video reviews I have watched on YouTube seem to be more positive. This could very well be a mixed game, where some will absolutely love it and others just think "meh", and go on to their next game.

Xbox absolutely needs a game that everyone loves and gets into, but as a game on its own, this does not sound too bad. I am looking forward to playing it tonight and seeing where I land. If I end up getting bored with it, oh well. There are plenty of other good games this year. However, I do wish this one hooks me. It looks promising.
It’s age old Bethesda split: one group complaining about having no guidance (Morrowind), and the other group complaining about too much handholding (Oblivion).

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Exactly where it belongs. Mediocrity at its finest. If it weren't for all the unduly-favorable reviews due it being Xbox's savior, it would realistically be a high-70s-to-low-80s game considering all the issues it has and how utterly disappointing it is as a GOTG contender.
What does GOTG mean? People keep saying it instead of GOTY or whatever.

Dacvak

Game of the Generation
Lmfao get the fuck outta here are people serious

Sorry, that’s not directed at you. It’s just funny if people are saying that sort of thing unironically lol

This honest review rally turned me off from this game, lots of repeated content and typical bethesda junk. Plus hundreds of useless planets with nothing to do...

Yeah, I will probably compete it but it's not really what I expected.
Todd Howard literally had multiple interviews this past E3 where he made it abundantly clear that the majority of planets available are just there to serve as resource hubs and that only about 10% of planets would have interactable living creatures. Anyone who goes into this game thinking its Mass Effect where each planet has fully mapped out cities with advanced alien species waiting to greet you is just badly misinformed and has no one to blame for their disappointment but themselves.

Has any reviewers said how easy it is to avoid the generated shite? If I don't have to explore these shitty planets to find the good content i'll be good.

You can completely skip over it, you just need to farm some minerals from them towards the final 3rd of the game and that's it, you can streamline just the handcrafted stuff and pretty much complete the game (which is what some reviewers recommend).

Roufianos

I saw the GameSpot and IGN reviews and thought we had an almighty flop on our hands. Looks like it received great though? 87 is in line with what I expected.

Top Bottom