• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield | Review Thread

What scores do you think StarfieId will get?

• 40-45%

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • 45-50%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 50-55%

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 55-60%

• 60-65%

• 65-70%

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • 70-75%

Votes: 5 0.8%
  • 75-80%

Votes: 15 2.3%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 81 12.5%
  • 85-90%

Votes: 241 37.3%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 243 37.6%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 55 8.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RoboFu

One of the green rats
So yeah ive only played for an hour so far but it is pretty much like I said and its entirely Bethesdas fault.

The opening isnt even as exciting as skyrims. This is one place they could have stuck the coveted "MOVIE LIKE" action scene. At least Skyrim had a dragon attack. The opening scene for Starfield is so uneventful and boring.
That one thing could have changed some of the very few low scorers opinion.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
So yeah ive only played for an hour so far but it is pretty much like I said and its entirely Bethesdas fault.

The opening isnt even as exciting as skyrims. This is one place they could have stuck the coveted "MOVIE LIKE" action scene. At least Skyrim had a dragon attack. The opening scene for Starfield is so uneventful and boring.
That one thing could have changed some of the very few low scorers opinion.

So all games have to have a big bombastic opening like an action movie.....riiiiight?

I personally have loved the slow approach to how it starts....Each to their own I guess. Anyway, going back in :)

RoboFu

One of the green rats
So all games have to have a big bombastic opening like an action movie.....riiiiight?

I personally have loved the slow approach to how it starts....Each to their own I guess. Anyway, going back in :)
to capture the attention of gamers today all trends point to yes. Even Zelda had a long drawn out movie like opening cutscene.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Yea the fact its a "space adventure" but even space is limited is kind of jarring. Its like RDR2 in free roam you have all the freedom you want but in missions your held down to a certain area and way to achieve the goal, except Bathesda did this with the entire game

There would have to be a balance to it, because by nature flying through space on a ship would be 99% tedium and 1% fun. The people complaining about the fast travel mechanic haven't stopped to think how much they would complain if the fast travel was replaced by 5 minutes of "space flight" every time, the first few times would be exciting and after that not so much. The expansiveness of space would ensure that outside the orbits of populated planets, not much is ever happening (assuming you are trying to be somewhat realistic with it). Plus, as soon as you are out of close range of large bodies you would barely even have a reference for movement or speed.

It would be like playing KSP without using the warp mechanic.

For me, the lack of long spaceflights was completely expected and would even be realistic given the tech being used (which would likely have pilots entering coordinates and letting the computer handle the rest in a lot of situations). I'll say the only thing from the bit of chatter I've seen about the reviews that has sounded disappointing to me is that people are saying a lot of the quests require a bunch of jumping between locations. Obviously you have to have some of that to create the purpose for visiting the different cities and stations available and to discover additional quests, but too much of it will annoy me. I'm hoping every quest doesn't require visiting 5 completely separate locations.

Robbinhood

Banned
I'm a little bummed tbh, Oblivion was such a moment for me and one of my fav gaming experiences ever but Bethesda hasn't been the same since. I just haven't felt that magic from them.

I think anytime a game gets a full one year delay, the game is going to have fundamental issues that can't be fixed. 1 year isn't that much to fix things like lack of exploration or completely change how quests are. The best you can do is massively polish the existing game and tighten up the shooting and stuff. Which is what it seems like they did with that time. Its the same with Infinite.

NEbeast

Cringe Wince GIF

b0uncyfr0

So many questions, no answers yet :pie_sad_relieved:

FSR version [Does in-game perform better than modded]
Any fix for the raised blacks [On AMD hardware, i guess lowering the brightness setting for the game would work, what would be the appropriate number though]
Is there for HDR fix on non-steam versions?

General bugs
Alot of space element are rendered at 30fps (definitely not 60 at least) - slow and janky movement
Opening Adrenaline menu in-game renders your controller's right stick unusable (fixed by game restart)
I cant get Nexus mods to work..

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
to capture the attention of gamers today all trends point to yes. Even Zelda had a long drawn out movie like opening cutscene.
Ghost of Tsushima's was most beautiful, especially the musical score riding your horse and touching the grass.

Mixed the right amount of gameplay in with it to get you acclimated as well.

Last edited:

Mozzarella

Gamespot already gave it a 7/10, they got their review copy.

MY7uIyg.png

I agree that once sites like Eurogamer get their hands on it they won't be kind to it either. I expect the Metacritic to drop even more.
I mean this sounds like a pretty solid review but one thing bothers me.

"Shallow RPG mechanics with regard to dialogue, quest solutions, and influencing outcomes"
Proceeds to give Persona 5 Royal a 10/10

Yeah the same reviewer, its weird to me how standards change, i'd rather they keep the same standards for RPGs.

As far as i know in Persona 5, the rpg mechanics with regard to dialogue were even more shallow than Fallout 4, you were given 3 options that all lead to the same exact outcome, it was just a fluff, and the rpg mechanics in regards to combat system or general gameplay were almost nonexistent, it was just basically text reading until you dive into the dungeon where you do repetitive combat for few hours before fighting the boss.
Now sorry for the offtopic rant, but this specific line raised my eyebrows a bit, if it wasn't the same reviewer i wouldnt commented on it, but its the same person, why the double standards?
(P.S i think Persona 5 Royal is a solid game)

Last edited:

Tsaki

I mean this sounds like a pretty solid review but one thing bothers me.

"Shallow RPG mechanics with regard to dialogue, quest solutions, and influencing outcomes"
Proceeds to give Persona 5 Royal a 10/10

Yeah the same reviewer, its weird to me how standards change, i'd rather they keep the same standards for RPGs.

As far as i know in Persona 5, the rpg mechanics with regard to dialogue were even more shallow than Fallout 4, you were given 3 options that all lead to the same exact outcome, it was just a fluff, and the rpg mechanics in regards to combat system or general gameplay were almost nonexistent, it was just basically text reading until you dive into the dungeon where you do repetitive combat for few hours before fighting the boss.
Now sorry for the offtopic rant, but this specific line raised my eyebrows a bit, if it wasn't the same reviewer i wouldnt commented on it, but its the same person, why the double standards?
(P.S i think Persona 5 Royal is a solid game)
There are many aspects someone might like in a game and with different weight behind them. Maybe the rest of the package of P5R is so good (gameplay, presentation, characters etc) it elevates the mediocre stuff. I mean you wouldn't say a Mario game doesn't deserve to get a 10/10 ever since they have non-existent stories.

IGN America uses Xbox for clicks these days.
Don't know what happened between them, considering the way they have been treating them on social media.
Other ign don't seem to have an issue with them.

I think they learned that they will get more clicks if they give them polarizing reception.
This is bullshit. Ever since the Redfall debacle of IGN showing "shitty footage" Xbox gamers have been flipping out on IGN. Even after RedFall released as one of the worst games of the year, they were still pissed off at IGN for the honest gameplay of RedFall

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
This is bullshit. Ever since the Redfall debacle of IGN showing "shitty footage" Xbox gamers have been flipping out on IGN. Even after RedFall released as one of the worst games of the year, they were still were pissed off at IGN for the honest gameplay of RedFall
No one cares about those Twitter fanboys. They are cancerous and go crazy about any tiny details like clowns.

I am talking about us ign, who for some reason don't mention Xbox on games that is literally coming to gamepass.
Either something happened behind the scene, or the they are doing it for engagement which works good for them.

bender

What time is it?
No one cares about those Twitter fanboys. They are cancerous and go crazy about any tiny details like clowns.

I am talking about us ign, who for some reason don't mention Xbox on games that is literally coming to gamepass.
Either something happened behind the scene, or the they are doing it for engagement which works good for them.
CHO_FOIL_FINAL_20140716_Stereo_1.gif

spawn_reborn

Neo Member
Game is addicting for me so far. You either like it or you don't. It's that kind of game that might click with you. Fallout in space is what it feels like. Don't go by scores just try it out
Yeah I agree, I am loving the game. Enjoy it who cares about the scores as long as you like it.

Loope

Fuck me, that's boring as shit.Especially in Action RPG like these where i just want to start moving and doing whatever i want to do. There's no many companies that can do entry movie correctly. Naughty Dog that i remember.

Alebrije

I heard a reviewer say this is like 'Space Fallout but without Fallout's charm'. I get that sense too, they tried to create their own I.P but it just aint as interesting as Fallout or ES etc. I know it is meant to be more grounded but bloody hell, parts of it look very bland.
You can take NPCs faces of Starfield and I bet a lot of them are the same on Fallout 4 and others just with few changes.

Since Fallout 3 Fallout on space has been a constant topic from fans so a lot of people relates Starfield with FA but honestly it wont deliver the charm of Fallout because does not offers something new or different.

Last edited:

Cashon

Banned
Fuck me, that's boring as shit.Especially in Action RPG like these where i just want to start moving and doing whatever i want to do. There's no many companies that can do entry movie correctly. Naughty Dog that i remember.
I'm assuming you also didn't like Red Dead Redemption 2?

Top Bottom