• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield | Review Thread

What scores do you think StarfieId will get?

• 40-45%

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • 45-50%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 50-55%

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 55-60%

• 60-65%

• 65-70%

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • 70-75%

Votes: 5 0.8%
  • 75-80%

Votes: 15 2.3%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 81 12.5%
  • 85-90%

Votes: 241 37.3%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 243 37.6%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 55 8.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BlackTron

From everything I'm reading, the game is kinda what you would expect. It's not the second-coming or anything, just another Bethesda title. Which unfortunately had a lot riding on it because of so many other game failures (like Halo) it was expected to be some Mario 64 grade event.

A lot of reviews read like "despite all these complaints, it's aight. NINETY" because it's an important game. One positive review said that if you put in the time and deal with this and that, you're rewarded with a generic space game...I was like WHAT. I can get a generic space RPG already without work!

It might be worth playing, but just as a game, not as the Messiah of Xbox or anything, I'm not getting that vibe from it

LordCBH

I did it intentionally because I think there is a positive bias towards Sony exclusives and a bad one towards Microsoft's, so the same score for both brands are perceived as different. I have both consoles and played all those games in the image (except Starfield, obviously).

And I say there is a different bias because I HAVE IT also. I play any PS5 exclusive no matters the score, because I have the feeling they are good. Meanwhile Xbox exclusives feel like is they still need to proof something. So, it's like a 87 for a Sony or Nintendo exclusive is a good game inside a pool of masterpieces, meanwhile a 87 for Xbox is like, ok this is the peak of what Microsoft can deliver inside their mediocre catalogue of exclusives. But all that shitty thoughts are subjective, a mental lie, a 87 it's a 87 but for some reason, brain doesn't work in that way.

I didn't want confrontation with PS5, but to notice the scores perception is broken, and if you like a game an 87 is a great score, but if you don't like the game (and worse if you don't have the hardware that can run the game), an 87 is a disgrace. For all the sides, not only for one brand to another.

I’ll chime in a bit. It doesn’t help anything for MS that a good portion of high budget titles they release get really don’t actually reach the scores they get. Halo Infinite is a good example. For a couple months it was a darling, but I would certainly argue it was scored about 20 points too high, and I said that immediately after playing the awful campaign for it.

For the record, I’m quite enjoying Starfield so far. I voted 90% plus because I assumed it would get inflated like Infinite did. Considering the amount of games from them over the years I’ve been excited for, only to be severely disappointed with, I’m quite happy with Starfield so far, but, based on what I’ve played so far, I’d have been happy regardless, even with its issues.

DaGwaphics

Well firstly "lol at NMS being a sim game" it is about as much as a fucking sim game as the Sims is a real life world simulator. I acknowledge they are two different genres but they also share some systems that are comparable such as inventory management and planet exploration both of which are superior in No Man Sky even at launch.

As for "bethesda alwas do shit inventory management" perhaps it is time we called the fuckers out for it rather than going "lol those ole cads never get the inventory management right" and you can't use the oh oh no man sky has been out for 7 years when talking about Starfield that has been in developer for 10 years and with the pedigree of Bethesda behind it

The comparison is just completely irrelevant. To get a better idea of how pointless the comparison is, just look at NMS from the lens of how poor the RPG elements of the game are. 🤷‍♂️

That's like taking a game like Mafia and comparing the driving mechanics to Forza or GT. The purpose of the game matters and obviously shifts the focus of the features provided.

Lokaum D+

The comparison is just completely irrelevant. To get a better idea of how pointless the comparison is, just look at NMS from the lens of how poor the RPG elements of the game are. 🤷‍♂️

That's like taking a game like Mafia and comparing the driving mechanics to Forza or GT. The purpose of the game matters and obviously shifts the focus of the features provided.
Well i can say the same about Starfield RPG elements.

Lokaum D+

😮😮😮😮😨😨😨😨😱😱😱.

Realmente no me lo esperaba.

Shocked me!!
"Conclusion

Starfield is far from meeting the expectations it has generated over the years. It is a game from another era, with obvious seams and that are not typical of the year that we are in. But it goes beyond being a matter of age: it is that there are several steps backwards in the systems that was praised on team's previous projects. This is a game that encourages you to immerse yourself in a space epic exploring the unknown... and the least you do is explore. The playable loop consists of short-lived procedures and situations traveling from planet to planet, as occurs in a story mode that lacks more elaborate content. The concept of the game is formed in individual layers that do not feed into each other enough. There is no interest in discovering the next icon. There are no motivations to carry out that completism. The content generated by the engine is also not relevant. There are few reasons to stay in your universe."
* Translated with Google

Damn

Last edited:
Im not feeling it as much as i thought. I don't like huge games but this has been dumbed down so hard, its tough to enjoy it.

Is there any point to exploring in space..? You can just X to travel anywhere.
At the risk of being pounced on. It's really interesting to hear some of the comments on Starfield and then think back on FFXVI. Clearly the games are completely different but members of the community have propped each game as GOTG but both games seem to have people saying they've been "dumbed down", etc.

Jesus Christ the nutters are really coming out of the woodwork. Inventory is important to BOTH games, BOTH ganes rely heavily on crafting and gathering of resources. So yes it is fair to compare the system they use to store items and allow the player to manage said items. We are not talking about the different ways of modelling driving here we are talking about the most basic of things in a game where you manage and store items. You damn well can compare that and if you think different I want what you are smoking.

But fine ok lets not compare inventory management to No Man Sky then. Lets compare it to all the other RPG games out there with inventory Management including Bethesda's own fucking games and if you don't conclude that starfields inventory management is the worst Bethesda has ever done than you are not being truthful.

b0uncyfr0

The dialogue boxes and flying movement (esp the the icons) feel weird.

Even though I'm getting 80+, they look very slow and janky, kinda like 30 fps :pie_thinking:

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
"a bigger version of the outer worlds".

"Starfield is not about exploring space freely as a space pirate or a mercenary, it's about fast travelling to locations and having conversations with people"

Here's where I'm at with this - that's the kind of information they needed to tell us before we got to this stage. It's now clear this isn't a game focused on the exploration side of space, but why was so much of the pre-release marketing focused on that side of things? You're fast travelling from location to location, loading screen to loading screen, it's not seemless in any way and they knew this.

A better version of the outer worlds sounds more than good enough to me. So why not just be honest?
All those hype threads about being a space pirate or smuggler and exploring the vastness of space and the planets. Bethesda being Bethesda once again allowed people to run wild with this disinfo or hopes and dreams.

The awkward moment where even Scam Citizen has a far better feeling of exploration of the vastness and awe of space in a space game/RPG.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Jesus Christ the nutters are really coming out of the woodwork. Inventory is important to BOTH games, BOTH ganes rely heavily on crafting and gathering of resources. So yes it is fair to compare the system they use to store items and allow the player to manage said items. We are not talking about the different ways of modelling driving here we are talking about the most basic of things in a game where you manage and store items. You damn well can compare that and if you think different I want what you are smoking.

But fine ok lets not compare inventory management to No Man Sky then. Lets compare it to all the other RPG games out there with inventory Management including Bethesda's own fucking games and if you don't conclude that starfields inventory management is the worst Bethesda has ever done than you are not being truthful.

I haven't played Starfield, therefore I don't conclude anything from the resource management system. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

It is quite obvious that planetary exploration is a much larger focus in NMS than in Starfield (Bethesda RPG built on quests in its populated areas). That's the point I was referencing, no need for the temper-tantrum. Most of the people following the game have expected the "in space" aspect of the game to be marginal in comparison to the typical Bethesda gameplay in the cities. I don't think this is the gotcha moment that you believe that it is.

Last edited:
All those hype threads about being a space pirate or smuggler and exploring the vestments of space and the planets. Bethesda being Bethesda once again allowed people to run wild with this disinfo or hopes and dreams.

The awkward moment where even Scam Citizen has a far better feeling of exploration of the vestment of space in a space game/RPG.
Yea, I have no skin the game and i think Starfield looks cool but it is funny to see some people saying it's an RPG and not a space exploration game. I mean come on, that's what all the hype was about; exploring space, etc.

Just another example of why people need to stop being consumed by hype. Too many people just embracing cognitive dissonance. Doesn't have to be this way!

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
All those hype threads about being a space pirate or smuggler and exploring the vestments of space and the planets. Bethesda being Bethesda once again allowed people to run wild with this disinfo or hopes and dreams.

The awkward moment where even Scam Citizen has a far better feeling of exploration of the vestment of space in a space game/RPG.

Yes those things are in the game, I haven't gotten that far but the giant bomb video has the staff talking about pirating goods and avoiding authorities to smuggle contraband.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

The problem is they know they can get away with it, because it'll still sell like gangbusters.

The video gaming audience is far too lenient when it comes to PR bullshit.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Early access is a scam and people are normalizing it.
I miss when shit was normal, and everyone had the same launch windows.
Now I get to watch people spoil the story, because they have 5 days early access.
I saw a website already has the Starfield “ending explained”. Which is crazy. The game hasn’t officially released and there’s a Pyro website explaining the ending and all the quests. You also see the people who are trying to make a living off video game stuff playing it. They’ll play it and move on. It’s all so self contained. Why should it matter? Well, there’s a reason I pick and choose video game outlets. Because I enjoy stuff about video games. Why does it suck? It makes the idea of investing myself feel less important. Why spend 100’s of hours on one game while some social media person makes a viral YouTube video explaining it. It’s hard to ignore.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Yes those things are in the game, I haven't gotten that far but the giant bomb video has the staff talking about pirating goods and avoiding authorities to smuggle contraband.
Okay. Space exploration is nothing compared to 3 major last gen games off the top of my head, hell 4 if you include a "kiddie" game that even does it better, with little to no loading screens in the process.

Lokaum D+

I have NEVER seen a game with so many loading screens. Literally everything you do has to load. I sure am glad that microsoft touted velocity architecture with the xbox.........................wtf
the only one i can remember that have that many loading screen is Outriders

FunkMiller

The Luke Stephens video really shows the weaknesses of the game esp the procedural generated content. Id rather have had 5-6 well crafted planets to fully explore than procedurally generted stuff. Hell even no mans sky did it better

Finding it really weird that they seem to have gone for a halfway house between a space exploration game and a curated RPG.

Just call it StarCity, and give us three or four cities to get lost in. Then you don't have to deal with expectation management about the scale of the game. I would have been more than happy with less areas, but all well crafted, as I suspect most people would have been.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Okay. Space exploration is nothing compared to 3 major last gen games off the top of my head, hell 4 if you include a "kiddie" game that even does it better, with little to no loading screens in the process.

Yes, even at the early point the one thing I agree with is that space exploration isn't as free-form as I thought. Maybe it's different later but at this early point I am being led very point-to-point fast travel style whenever in space.

feynoob

Banned
I saw a website already has the Starfield “ending explained”. Which is crazy. The game hasn’t officially released and there’s a Pyro website explaining the ending and all the quests. You also see the people who are trying to make a living off video game stuff playing it. They’ll play it and move on. It’s all so self contained. Why should it matter? Well, there’s a reason I pick and choose video game outlets. Because I enjoy stuff about video games. Why does it suck? It makes the idea of investing myself feel less important. Why spend 100’s of hours on one game while some social media person makes a viral YouTube video explaining it. It’s hard to ignore.
If you care about investment, it would be a hard time for you on social media.
But for others, it would be a goldmine for them. People like to play the trendy game that everyone plays.

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
Finding it really weird that they seem to have gone for a halfway house between a space exploration game and a curated RPG.

Just call it StarCity, and give us three or four cities to get lost in. Then you don't have to deal with expectation management about the scale of the game. I would have been more than happy with less areas, but all well crafted, as I suspect most people would have been.
Yea the fact its a "space adventure" but even space is limited is kind of jarring. Its like RDR2 in free roam you have all the freedom you want but in missions your held down to a certain area and way to achieve the goal, except Bathesda did this with the entire game

Alebrije

So this is not a game of the year after all, much less game of generation.

And after a few hours I can say it plays like a Fallout game on space. Since I like Fallout that is not a problem for me..but honestly I find more enjojable Cyberpunk than Starfield specially the attack approach.

The game is fine is what you can expect.from.Bethesda but does not do something new.

StereoVsn

Every person in my office upgraded to the premium edition today. Its going to be doing very well this weekend I imagine.
Do you work at Microsoft? 😉

I can only wish that there was anyone to talk about gaming in the office. I think there are couple people tops and they are mostly into Sports games.

Oh, and one more is into shooters. That's probably out of a few dozen people I know directly. There is no gaming talk in Slack/Teams either. Now, if you want to talk cars, motorcycles or bikes, that's a whole different story.

And after a few hours I can say it plays like a Fallout game on space. Since I like Fallout that is not a problem for me..but honestly I find more enjojable Cyberpunk than Starfield specially the attack approach.

The game is fine is what you can expect.from.Bethesda but does not do something new.

I heard a reviewer say this is like 'Space Fallout but without Fallout's charm'. I get that sense too, they tried to create their own I.P but it just aint as interesting as Fallout or ES etc. I know it is meant to be more grounded but bloody hell, parts of it look very bland.

Varteras

So what snacks are people eating in between load screens?
sexy bambi GIF

azertydu91

Hard to Kill

Yeah the Fallout seemed obvious when I started it earlier today, even without going far tyhe way it controls is very close to fallout so far, even some things that weren't explained will seem logical if you remember how Fallout plays (from 3 and onward though).

NickFire

I thought it would be 90-95 average. Would have gone 95-100 but I figured it would get dinged for bugs and glitches at launch. Was expecting more robust space exploration.

Top Bottom