• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield | Review Thread

What scores do you think StarfieId will get?

• 40-45%

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • 45-50%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 50-55%

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 55-60%

• 60-65%

• 65-70%

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • 70-75%

Votes: 5 0.8%
  • 75-80%

Votes: 15 2.3%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 81 12.5%
  • 85-90%

Votes: 241 37.3%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 243 37.6%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 55 8.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lokaum D+

"Hey hey now! Let's not have too much fantasy in our space fantasy game!"
the problem is that procedural generation can only do so much, Bethesda has so much focus on quantity over quality imo, i would be very happy with one solar system hand crafted at launch and more system as DLC

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member

Bethesda On Starfield's Big, Empty Planets: Not Every Location "Is Supposed To Be Disney World"​

According to Bethesda's managing director Ashley Cheng, Starfield's more barren planets came about from the studio needing to walk a fine line between enjoyment and authenticity. Not every planet "is supposed to be Disney World," Cheng said to the New York Times. The other reason for some of the desolate worlds that you'll encounter is that it helps keep expectations in check, emphasizes the vastness of space, and is designed to make you feel small against this backdrop of the infinite expanse of space.

Let's just answer every criticism with sarcasm why don't we?

Anderson Cooper Reaction GIF

Bethesda On Starfield's Big, Empty Planets: Not Every Location "Is Supposed To Be Disney World"​

According to Bethesda's managing director Ashley Cheng, Starfield's more barren planets came about from the studio needing to walk a fine line between enjoyment and authenticity. Not every planet "is supposed to be Disney World," Cheng said to the New York Times. The other reason for some of the desolate worlds that you'll encounter is that it helps keep expectations in check, emphasizes the vastness of space, and is designed to make you feel small against this backdrop of the infinite expanse of space.

"Don't expect to be entertained by our game."

themonk

From everything I'm reading, the game is kinda what you would expect. It's not the second-coming or anything, just another Bethesda title. Which unfortunately had a lot riding on it because of so many other game failures (like Halo) it was expected to be some Mario 64 grade event.

A lot of reviews read like "despite all these complaints, it's aight. NINETY" because it's an important game. One positive review said that if you put in the time and deal with this and that, you're rewarded with a generic space game...I was like WHAT. I can get a generic space RPG already without work!

It might be worth playing, but just as a game, not as the Messiah of Xbox or anything, I'm not getting that vibe from it
The ratings are sus as hell everyone has issues with this and the game mechanics such as shooting are below mediocre and the exploration is nothing special yet meta has this as an 88.

It sounds like this should be below a 7 whether you like it or not.

RAIDEN1

The fact that this game has virtually no alien races at all, makes the world a LOT less appealing, I don't buy the reason for it being a creative choice, with just a bunch of humans dotted around on planets, they could have had an alien enemy like the elusive alien race in Elite, or like the Shadows in Babylon 5....even Guardians of the Galaxy and Mass Effect have more appealing worlds than this....

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

That looks like a very salty reply. 😄

All these fantastic creative decisions

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
"Don't expect to be entertained by our game."

Not really what it's saying at all. It's saying they tried to balance out feature rich areas with ones that are desolate in an attempt to make it feel more "real". Wether that succeeded or not is debateable, but assuming they aren't lying, the intent may have been genuine.

Fbh

I don't get why they would be that upset anyway. 87 is a pretty damn good score. If I had an Xbox or a PC that wasn't a piece of poo, I would be excited to play this.

New Vegas was scored in the mid 80s and is one of my all time favorites.

Because they spent the past year (years?) convincing themselves that Starfield wasn't simply going to be a good game but that it was going to be a once in a generation industry defining paradigm shift of a game.
Instead it's "just" a good game, and based on the reviews I've seen it's basically just same ol' Bethesda but on a larger scale (with some issues that come with that scale).

Last edited:
The ratings are sus as hell everyone has issues with this and the game mechanics such as shooting are below mediocre and the exploration is nothing special yet meta has this as an 88.

I think a lot of people just fell hard for the hype. Especially younger, more naive children that don't have experience with what Bethesda and Todd have incorporated into their marketing strategies ever since Oblivion. And by marketing strategies, i mean pure lies to feed the hype machine. I knew this game wouldn't be anything special given their recent track record.

Pop

Performance is so bad everywhere in the game. Out on a big empty planet barely scratch 70fps. Loading screens galore

I initially thought it was get around a 92 just because but it deserves the 88, maybe even low 80s

feynoob

Banned

Have you played the game?

Rien

Jelly Belly
The fact that this game has virtually no alien races at all, makes the world a LOT less appealing, I don't buy the reason for it being a creative choice, with just a bunch of humans dotted around on planets, they could have had an alien enemy like the elusive alien race in Elite, or like the Shadows in Babylon 5....even Guardians of the Galaxy and Mass Effect have more appealing worlds than this....

Wait.. no alien races? Only humans?

Bernoulli

M2 slut
Just stopped it runs too bad on my GPU

Going to wait a few weeks or months until they improve the game and i buy a new GPU

Ok guys last one today from me on Metacritic:

By release day the MC score will probably drop to 86 for Starfield with the shunned outkast reviews coming in. On the same day BG3 releases on PS5 with a MC of 96 (for PC).

If you told me 6 months ago something would release on the same day as Starfield, on its hated rival platform no less, with 10 points higher MC score, I would have laughed.

You can take NPCs faces of Starfield and I bet a lot of them are the same on Fallout 4 and others just with few changes.

Since Fallout 3 Fallout on space has been a constant topic from fans so a lot of people relates Starfield with FA but honestly it wont deliver the charm of Fallout because does not offers something new or different.

The problem is that I.P is/was so good, crafted over 20 years. SF looks totally stale by comparison, especially being as it is trying to be more grounded.

OuterLimits

Perhaps Bethesda really loves the Fermi Paradox.

Ulysses 31

The smart watch that comes with the Constellation Edition looks pretty decent. Might just start wearing it. :messenger_winking_tongue:

Last edited:
Game doesn't fully support ultrawide either for anyone who's waiting for full release. Black borders on menu and cutscenes. No FOV slider either so it's cramped

Last edited:

jorgejjvr

A lot of the reviews are saying it takes a bit for it to get going. That's what I'm finding out as well.
I'm just focusing on the main story and occasional side quest. The planets just seem empty to me and the space portion is just a loading map simulation. The best parts so far are the main story, so maybe I'll just focus on that

Last edited:

Hudo

Hype.
It's what we Bethesda fans were afraid of. Creation engine isn't equipped for seamless exploration and it's showing it's limitations.

Bethesda being Bethesda. The awkward moment where mentioning NMS and Star Citizen, Elite Dangerous, hell, even Starlink was considered trolling months ago, and this was supposed to blow them away "space exploration" wise, all last gen games... yeah... about that. F this engine.
I guess I'll continue to wait for Squadron 42, then....

DaGwaphics

Not really what it's saying at all. It's saying they tried to balance out feature rich areas with ones that are desolate in an attempt to make it feel more "real". Wether that succeeded or not is debateable, but assuming they aren't lying, the intent may have been genuine.

They said they were trying to be somewhat grounded with it from the very beginning. Obviously, they've already taken some leeway as it is with the the cities and outposts that exist, a shopping mall on every moon would just be weird. Space is filled with mostly rocks from what we know of, I can't see a game set in space that doesn't include plenty of those. Life should be just a Goldilocks situation, if anything they've gone quite far as it is with the alien animals that they've shown.

Last edited:

Hudo

If you really want space shit, wait for mods.
You will see a complete different game after 1-2 years.
Why can't I have the game they were marketing, though? They suggested again and again that this game is about exploration and that space would play a big role in that, that you could explore every planet, which, yeah, the latter is technically true. But then people report that you can't really explore a planet seamlessly and in a coherent manner (like they suggested in marketing) but rather you're bound to a procedurally generated bubble around your ship, and that generation of said bubble doesn't even account for obvious landmarks that should be visible. People report that New Atlantis should be visible from bubbles right next to it but it isn't. And you cannot leave the bubble but rather you have to return to your ship and then land from there again?

Like, what the fuck is going on? What is the point of all the space stuff and different planets when they half-assed the implementation.

feynoob

Banned
Why can't I have the game they were marketing, though? They suggested again and again that this game is about exploration and that space would play a big role in that, that you could explore every planet, which, yeah, the latter is technically true. But then people report that you can't really explore a planet seamlessly and in a coherent manner (like they suggested in marketing) but rather you're bound to a procedurally generated bubble around your ship, and that generation of said bubble doesn't even account for obvious landmarks that should be visible. People report that New Atlantis should be visible from bubbles right next to it but it isn't. And you cannot leave the bubble but rather you have to return to your ship and then land from there again?

Like, what the fuck is going on? What is the point of all the space stuff and different planets when they half-assed the implementation.
Because it's Bethesda game.
They make good rpg games and interesting quests and lore world.
For space stuff, it's impossible with that shitty engine.
Bethesda with good engine, great space rpg game.
Bethesda with creatine engine, shit space, good rpg game.

Hudo

Because it's Bethesda game.
They make good rpg games and interesting quests and lore world.
For space stuff, it's impossible with that shitty engine.
Bethesda with good engine, great space rpg game.
Bethesda with creatine engine, shit space, good rpg game.
Alright then. Then I guess their marketing just hit me different. I just didn't expect it to be like that, despite knowing that they were using some current iteration of their Creation Engine. I genuinely thought they updated it to handle all of that.

Top Bottom