• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield | Review Thread

What scores do you think StarfieId will get?

• 40-45%

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • 45-50%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 50-55%

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 55-60%

• 60-65%

• 65-70%

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • 70-75%

Votes: 5 0.8%
  • 75-80%

Votes: 15 2.3%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 81 12.5%
  • 85-90%

Votes: 241 37.3%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 243 37.6%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 55 8.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

feynoob

Banned
To all of you guys who have the early access
chris evans eat shit GIF

Us peasant would have wait until 9/6.

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
There would have to be a balance to it, because by nature flying through space on a ship would be 99% tedium and 1% fun. The people complaining about the fast travel mechanic haven't stopped to think how much they would complain if the fast travel was replaced by 5 minutes of "space flight" every time, the first few times would be exciting and after that not so much. The expansiveness of space would ensure that outside the orbits of populated planets, not much is ever happening (assuming you are trying to be somewhat realistic with it). Plus, as soon as you are out of close range of large bodies you would barely even have a reference for movement or speed.

It would be like playing KSP without using the warp mechanic.

For me, the lack of long spaceflights was completely expected and would even be realistic given the tech being used (which would likely have pilots entering coordinates and letting the computer handle the rest in a lot of situations). I'll say the only thing from the bit of chatter I've seen about the reviews that has sounded disappointing to me is that people are saying a lot of the quests require a bunch of jumping between locations. Obviously you have to have some of that to create the purpose for visiting the different cities and stations available and to discover additional quests, but too much of it will annoy me. I'm hoping every quest doesn't require visiting 5 completely separate locations.
Indont think Ive heard anyone complain about having a space adventure and being able to actually fly in space and land in any planet etc in No Mans Sky. Except do that and add better combat, and decent story and you have Starfield. The way they made it sound was this was supposed to be the deluxe version of No Mans Sky but No Mans Sky does better than what Starfield does for space exploration, and thats a last gen game

The people I work with are old fashioned.
They think video games is waste of time and it's hobby for kids.
I've worked with ppl like this in the past... the same ppl who play mobile games all the time.

I had one co-worker who thought games were for kids and that it was weird that I watched someone play a video game LOL now she watches twitch all the time while working. She has a Switch and is looking at picking up a PC. She also now a regular at watching Val tournaments... things have changed.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
There would have to be a balance to it, because by nature flying through space on a ship would be 99% tedium and 1% fun. The people complaining about the fast travel mechanic haven't stopped to think how much they would complain if the fast travel was replaced by 5 minutes of "space flight" every time, the first few times would be exciting and after that not so much. The expansiveness of space would ensure that outside the orbits of populated planets, not much is ever happening (assuming you are trying to be somewhat realistic with it). Plus, as soon as you are out of close range of large bodies you would barely even have a reference for movement or speed.

It would be like playing KSP without using the warp mechanic.

For me, the lack of long spaceflights was completely expected and would even be realistic given the tech being used (which would likely have pilots entering coordinates and letting the computer handle the rest in a lot of situations). I'll say the only thing from the bit of chatter I've seen about the reviews that has sounded disappointing to me is that people are saying a lot of the quests require a bunch of jumping between locations. Obviously you have to have some of that to create the purpose for visiting the different cities and stations available and to discover additional quests, but too much of it will annoy me. I'm hoping every quest doesn't require visiting 5 completely separate locations.

It’s as basic as shortening the distance between planets, and adjusting flight speed. Or you know, make a star system instead of this stupid thing they went with.

All I read are excuses. Tell me why they had to make this such a menu driven game.

Everything has a reason, what a shock.

Reactions: GHG

OuterLimits

Xbox fanboys losing their minds on Twitter, it’s crazy out there. They can’t cope, declaring war on the world. The most persecuted group in generations they feel like.

I don't get why they would be that upset anyway. 87 is a pretty damn good score. If I had an Xbox or a PC that wasn't a piece of poo, I would be excited to play this.

New Vegas was scored in the mid 80s and is one of my all time favorites.

Last edited:

Humdinger

Saw a few reviews. Of those, Luke Stephens' was the best (I assume it's been linked already). I was disappointed with the exploration -- or rather, lack of it. That's one of my favorite parts of a Bethesda RPG, the open-world exploration. Just wandering around, finding unique locations and surprises. Luke illustrated what exploration on the "thousand planets" looked like. It looked completely boring. Just walking through barren landscapes, devoid of anything interesting. Invisible walls, so really you're limited to "exploring" just a portion of the planet. There were one or two points of interest per planet, but these were often just cut-and-paste versions of the same location. He said that just in his first 20 hours, he saw dozens of examples of these POIs that were literal copy/pastes, 4 or 5 times over, of the exact same structure, down to the enemy placement, even the loot sometimes. Procedural generation + empty landscape = boredom. That's not my idea of interesting exploration at all.

Looks like the combat is decent, and some of the quests are fun. Otherwise, what I'm seeing just isn't appealing to me. I don't care to spend my time building a ship, any more than I wanted to craft buildings in Fallout 4. That's just not fun for me. The environments themselves seem dull. No beauty anywhere, barely any color.

I enjoyed most of Bethesda's mainline RPGs in the past, so I'll probably play this one eventually, but it definitely isn't something I'm going to rush out to play.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Indont think Ive heard anyone complain about having a space adventure and being able to actually fly in space and land in any planet etc in No Mans Sky. Except do that and add better combat, and decent story and you have Starfield. The way they made it sound was this was supposed to be the deluxe version of No Mans Sky but No Mans Sky does better than what Starfield does for space exploration, and thats a last gen game

I'm not really complaining about it. I just don't think that a game with any level of realism to it is going to provide an experience that makes interplanetary flight "fun". Maybe because I'm kind of a space nerd myself and I have a lot of experience with rocket simulators, both serious (VBS) and lighthearted (KSP) my opinion is just jaded by the reality of it. Steering around a spaceship is only fun in certain situations, a dogfight, through an asteroid field, liftoff and landing, etc. Interplanetary is just a stage where you can't really even tell if you are moving or potentially even the direction you're moving in and throttle is not much more to you than a change in the depiction of the rocket on screen.

In a game like the rocket simulators that is the game, but they know to include the ability to super-speed through the boring parts. In an RPG, I think even the potentially fun parts would get stale so quickly because the motivation behind the action is different (you probably aren't trying out a new rocket design etc.), thus even takeoff and landing would become a job once the novelty was gone (part of why I find NMS as boring as I do). NMS isn't trying to be a traditional, dialog heavy, RPG game. What makes a good survival game might distract from an RPG and so on, if NMS is the game you want to play, play that. People that want to play Starfield will play it instead. Not really something to argue about.

The market/gamers in general ultimately decide the fate of all games. If it is well received by the players it will be a success.

Thirty7ven

Banned
I don't get why they would be that upset anyway. 87 is a pretty damn good score. If I had an Xbox or a PC that wasn't a piece of poo, I would be excited to play this.

New Vegas was scored in the mid 80s and is one of my all time favorites.

These people don’t care about good games, they care about games that change online discourse.

Clearly Starfield is a good game. But if you’ve been out there dunking on FFXVI scores and hyping Starfield every day, suddenly the lack of validation from the reviews can hurt you bad.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Xbox fanboys losing their minds on Twitter, it’s crazy out there. They can’t cope, declaring war on the world. The most persecuted group in generations they feel like.

I had to do some cursory Starfield searches on twitter to see if this is actually happening to the extent you're saying and man y'all don't really need to make stuff up to try and get a point across :messenger_tears_of_joy:

what ppl are eating ? dont know, the only thing that i know for sure is that this game has a shit ton of loading screen since adamsapple adamsapple dont leave these Starfield threads alone.

ezgif-5-bacc8f22f18wdgm.gif

Interfectum

Seems odd to single out any one group here. The other fanboys are going nuts on Twitter too with massive trolling. Both sides have more incentive to be as dramatic as possible because Musk gives them a fat check for it now.

Lokaum D+

I had to do some cursory Starfield searches on twitter to see if this is actually happening to the extent you're saying and man y'all don't really need to make stuff up to try and get a point across :messenger_tears_of_joy:

ezgif-5-bacc8f22f18wdgm.gif
i can wait 5 more days, but since u are not playing i need to ask, do u mind to share ur account in order to me play it ?

Last edited:

Gudji

Seems odd to single out any one group here. The other fanboys are going nuts on Twitter too with massive trolling. Both sides have more incentive to be as dramatic as possible because Musk gives them a fat check for it now.
Checks for trolling? Where do I sign up?

Season 4 Interest GIF by The Office

i can wait 5 more days, but since u are not playing i need to ask, do u mind to share ur account in order to me to play it ?

Don't do it you won't be able to handle the load.

Joke Drums GIF by Bax Music

Last edited:
it's best to avoid videogame twitter at times like this... it's just toxic all around.

Romulus

I can see this game being a 9s experience after a couple of years of patches. One thing they really need to do is improve the exploration.

Romulus

From everything I'm reading, the game is kinda what you would expect. It's not the second-coming or anything, just another Bethesda title. Which unfortunately had a lot riding on it because of so many other game failures (like Halo) it was expected to be some Mario 64 grade event.

Yes, but we're talking more about the flair of Fallout 4 quality, not Fallout 3.

Big difference

Lokaum D+

no-i-dont-think-i-will.gif

Pay for the premium upgrade like a good fomo or wait till the 6th for Todd's next great adventure.
if by "Todd's next great adventure" you mean "standard Bethesda expirience" i can wait even more and i dont think its so "great of an adventure" at 86, if it was TOTK 96, BG3 96 or even GOWR 94 i would agree with you, but at 86 is more like a "average" adventure.

The dialogue boxes and flying movement (esp the the icons) feel weird.

Even though I'm getting 80+, they look very slow and janky, kinda like 30 fps :pie_thinking:
That's because the spaceship HUD is 30fps for some reason lol. There's already a mod that fixes it though!

feynoob

Banned
I can see this game being a 9s experience after a couple of years of patches. One thing they really need to do is improve the exploration.
It will be 10s because of mods.
This game is just base Skyrim.
I can't wait for Star wars and Star Trek expansion.

Tedditalk

My God this thread has so many embarrassing takes. You guys let numbers for the media you supposedly hate dictate the quality of a game? Discourse is decided by the players, not the media outlets.

Chronicle

I don't get reviewers. IGN made it look so generic and for 8 minutes said it's garbage until 12 hrs in. Then they say combat is amazing and kept 'me' going, and that's it?

Not a good sell.

Hudo

Wow. Is it really true that in space you're only limited to a small corridor essentially? I.e. there's no space exploration? If so, what was the fucking point of marketing the exploration aspects of the game...

feynoob

Banned
Wow. Is it really true that in space you're only limited to a small corridor essentially? I.e. there's no space exploration? If so, what was the fucking point of marketing the exploration aspects of the game...
Hype.
It's what we Bethesda fans were afraid of. Creation engine isn't equipped for seamless exploration and it's showing it's limitations.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Hype.
It's what we Bethesda fans were afraid of. Creation engine isn't equipped for seamless exploration and it's showing it's limitations.
Bethesda being Bethesda. The awkward moment where mentioning NMS and Star Citizen, Elite Dangerous, hell, even Starlink was considered trolling months ago, and this was supposed to blow them away "space exploration" wise, all last gen games... yeah... about that. F this engine.

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
Bethesda being Bethesda. The awkward moment where mentioning NMS and Star Citizen, Elite Dangerous, hell, even Starlink was considered trolling months ago, and this was supposed to blow them away "space exploration" wise, all last gen games... yeah... about that. F this engine.
Bethesda with new engine would have made an amazing game.
Now it's up to mods to make this game a generational game.

Lokaum D+

a lot of developers do the same thing, as long these games are selling like crazy they won't even bother to change.

Last edited:

havoc00

Bethesda On Starfield's Big, Empty Planets: Not Every Location "Is Supposed To Be Disney World"​

According to Bethesda's managing director Ashley Cheng, Starfield's more barren planets came about from the studio needing to walk a fine line between enjoyment and authenticity. Not every planet "is supposed to be Disney World," Cheng said to the New York Times. The other reason for some of the desolate worlds that you'll encounter is that it helps keep expectations in check, emphasizes the vastness of space, and is designed to make you feel small against this backdrop of the infinite expanse of space.

FunkMiller

Bethesda On Starfield's Big, Empty Planets: Not Every Location "Is Supposed To Be Disney World"​

According to Bethesda's managing director Ashley Cheng, Starfield's more barren planets came about from the studio needing to walk a fine line between enjoyment and authenticity. Not every planet "is supposed to be Disney World," Cheng said to the New York Times. The other reason for some of the desolate worlds that you'll encounter is that it helps keep expectations in check, emphasizes the vastness of space, and is designed to make you feel small against this backdrop of the infinite expanse of space.

"Hey hey now! Let's not have too much fantasy in our space fantasy game!"

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
It’s as basic as shortening the distance between planets, and adjusting flight speed. Or you know, make a star system instead of this stupid thing they went with.

All I read are excuses. Tell me why they had to make this such a menu driven game.

Everything has a reason, what a shock.

Are you playing the game?

It's very good. If you like Bethesda games. I'm just making a coffee and seeing more of your constant posting about this game.

You can play it you know.

Top Bottom