• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield | Review Thread

What scores do you think StarfieId will get?

• 40-45%

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • 45-50%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 50-55%

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 55-60%

• 60-65%

• 65-70%

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • 70-75%

Votes: 5 0.8%
  • 75-80%

Votes: 15 2.3%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 81 12.5%
  • 85-90%

Votes: 241 37.3%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 243 37.6%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 55 8.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Freeman76

Voted 80-85. I don't know where all the hype about this game is coming from. A few things look interesting to me, but I need to check this game out first.

I've never been the biggest Bethesda fan either.
What's the address of that rock you live under 🤣

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I hope I'm wrong (for my own sake too)
We'll find out in about 9hrs when the embargo lifts. So far we really only have 2 sources for performance:

1. AMD's chart for it's "Build Your Own Experience" campaign.

It doesn't list the exact frame rate target or settings, but breaks down into:
-Heroic. 1080p+"great visuals and framerates"
-Epic. 1440p+"max visuals and high fps"
-Legendary. 4K+"no-compromise, best experience"

amd-system-requirements-starfield-legendary-epic-heroic.jpg

2. The reddit leak from the guy with a 3800X+2080 Ti running Dynamic Resolution, FSR2 1440p output res, High Settings. "45-60 fps most of the time, 60-70 fps in dungeons and space." "No stutters as well". The dude seems to be a legit leaker, but he's kind of tarded when it comes to assessing performance.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
M mortal is making the OT. Technically the game launches on Sept. 6th, while early access is Aug. 31st @ 5pm PT/8pm ET(simultaneous WW release). We should wait for him to see if he has the main OT ready for early access in 16hrs, or if we need a specific EA thread while we wait for the main OT on the 6th.

Last edited:

BbMajor7th

M mortal is making the OT. Technically the game launches on Sept. 6th, while early access is Aug. 31st @ 5pm PT/8pm ET(simultaneous WW release). We should wait for him to see if he has the main OT ready for early access in 16hrs, or if we need a specific EA thread while we wait for the main OT on the 6th.
The game launches the day it goes live to the public - there's no such thing as early access, though companies want you to believe that. They never give premium players early access, they give everyone else late access. Companies are literally manufacturing value out of thin air.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
The game launches the day it goes live to the public - there's no such thing as early access, though companies want you to believe that. They never give premium players early access, they give everyone else late access. Companies are literally manufacturing value out of thing air.
I understand the point you're making, but my statement is about the relation of NeoGAF threads with game access times. We need either the main OT or an Early Access thread within 15hrs.

Gudji

I'd be very surprised if it goes below an 80. I'm sure it'll sell very well and it'll be a good game.
I don't think it will be below 85 it's just a question of: is it good or is it a great game. Imo this needs to be great for MS sake, no more bullshit.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I'd be very surprised if it goes below an 80. I'm sure it'll sell very well and it'll be a good game.

I think it'll be a great game, but if anything is going to drag the scores down it'll be performance issues and bugs. This is Bethesda we're talking about, and the video games industry in 2023.

Topher

Gold Member
I think it'll be a great game, but if anything is going to drag the scores down it'll be performance issues and bugs. This is Bethesda we're talking about, and the video games industry in 2023.

I imagine there will be some click bait lowball reviews as well. First party games always attract a bit of that from small outlets or one of the many iterations of IGN worldwide. Shout out to IGN Korea and their 6/10 GoW:R review.

orimagdos

Banned
This game is between a rock and a hard place. Even if it reviews well people are going to say its because bethesda handed review copies to whom they wanted.

And for the love of god, enough with the no mans sky comparisons. If we are going to go down the road of '' this game already did it' then we have to say it for like 99% of games out there

Last edited:

mhirano

The game launches the day it goes live to the public - there's no such thing as early access, though companies want you to believe that. They never give premium players early access, they give everyone else late access. Companies are literally manufacturing value out of thin air.
We can confirm this when the "day one patch" launch.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I just hope there’s one review that’s like “while Starfield has many BIPOC characters, it doesn’t portray them as victims of racism and that’s problematic”

Or

“This alien race embodies antisemitic stereotypes”

Montauk

I just hope there’s one review that’s like “while Starfield has many BIPOC characters, it doesn’t portray them as victims of racism and that’s problematic”

Or

“This alien race embodies antisemitic stereotypes”

Fantasising about having something to be angry about. Seems like a good use of your time.

Thirty7ven

Banned

Considering how almost every game gets dragged down a peg for the things it doesn’t do well, it would be quite the sight to see reviewers ignoring the amount of loading screens, tile system, animations, poor A.I and amount of padded content in the game.

All those seem to be more valid knockdowns than some uncommon non game breaking bugs or performance that isn’t perfect.

But we had people giving Fallout 4 a 9.5 so it’s clear people are more than willing to turn a blind eye when it comes to Bethesda. Even if when it comes to RPGs they deliver mediocre stories, writing, and combat.

Last edited:

Madflavor

This is one of those rare times in gaming where I'm both equally excited if a game gets a really high score, or a disappointing one. Last time this happened was Fallout 76. If Starfield gets high scores, then I can't goddamn wait to get my hands on it and play. If it gets in the 70 - 85 range, I get to sit back and enjoy the show.

For the record, I'm fully expected great reviews.

I was biting my nails on Embargo Day for a few games this year. This time I get to relax.

Last edited:
This could all be in the wording, but I think the 10% discount will end @ midnight of the 31st. So potentially a few more dollars than that for you. What I didn't realize is that it comes with the first story expansion in addition to all the skins, artbook, OST, and early access. Made me feel better about the purchase, haha.
Nah. For any other game, those 10% game pass discounts for DLC are Infinite as long as you're subscribed. Not only for per-orders

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I have high hopes. I really want this to be like Skyrim and Fallout 3, a game that people keep playing + modding for many years to come, that feels like it’s filled with endless possibilities and ways to play.

Sucks that it’s not on PlayStation, but I hope that eventually pretty much everyone who wants to play it will have some way to play it.

NGL I would be pretty disappointed if it’s just like “8/10 a pretty good RPG”

RoadHazard

Gold Member
No reviews yet huh? Guess this game was forgotten about like Dino Crisis High.

Edit: What the hell is "BST"? Use CET like normal people please. 😙

Last edited:

Montauk

I have high hopes. I really want this to be like Skyrim and Fallout 3, a game that people keep playing + modding for many years to come, that feels like it’s filled with endless possibilities and ways to play.

Sucks that it’s not on PlayStation, but I hope that eventually pretty much everyone who wants to play it will have some way to play it.

NGL I would be pretty disappointed if it’s just like “8/10 a pretty good RPG”

This is the modern insanity of score inflation at work.

Now 8/10 - 8 out of 10! - is a bad score lol. Literally 2 points off a genre-defining masterpiece.

This is so common though, people don’t blink at it anymore. The scale runs 0-10 but nobody wants to score under 7 and 7 is treated as basically 0 by way too many gamers.

Madness. This obsession with numbers.

Last edited:
Top Bottom