• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield | Review Thread

What scores do you think StarfieId will get?

• 40-45%

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • 45-50%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 50-55%

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 55-60%

• 60-65%

• 65-70%

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • 70-75%

Votes: 5 0.8%
  • 75-80%

Votes: 15 2.3%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 81 12.5%
  • 85-90%

Votes: 241 37.3%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 243 37.6%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 55 8.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
And the outlets that didn't get review copies giving clickbait revenge ratings, probably.

You underestimate the desperation of a games journalist, they need clicks and will give the game full marks to get back into the publishers good books. Like a dog after being scolded trying to apologise

Dcr1d3r

You’re kidding right? Spencer and co will still get praise. Think about what’s been served up the last few years and he’s still put on a pedestal. You would think they are dominating the market the way some talk about them.
Lmao....yeh I don't know what to say bro. I'm just gonna wait and see how this one pans out.

Gudji

When is the review embargo up?
9f3org0954

Last edited:

splattered

I have a 7700X + 3080. Would you call me crazy if I just lazily played it on my Series X instead? lol
Nah, I have a 13900K and a 4090 and I'm still playing this on Series X.. Cool thing is this is a play anywhere title so I could play it on the PC eventually if I wanted to.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I have high hopes. I really want this to be like Skyrim and Fallout 3, a game that people keep playing + modding for many years to come, that feels like it’s filled with endless possibilities and ways to play.

Sucks that it’s not on PlayStation, but I hope that eventually pretty much everyone who wants to play it will have some way to play it.

NGL I would be pretty disappointed if it’s just like “8/10 a pretty good RPG”
That's because people haven't tempered their expectations enough and some are just wanting this to be this GOTY.

I would accept this if this was a good evolution from Skyrim on the gameplay side but unfortunately I doesn't seem to be the case.

As I said in the other thread, I think I'm more inclined to buy this but I'm not a fan of immersion breaking loading. Series X should be fast enough to compensate for this. Bethesda really needs to get their act together as they are a big part of the studios at Xbox and want the best and tightest experience from their team.

Elog

Fingers crossed for a great game. Will not even try to predict - MS+Bethesda easily gives a possible score range from solidly mediocre to Skyrim masterpiece.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
You’re kidding right? Spencer and co will still get praise. Think about what’s been served up the last few years and he’s still put on a pedestal. You would think they are dominating the market the way some talk about them.

Dumbest comment I've read in a while. Halo Infinite is sitting at an 86 average and you'd think it's the worst game ever made going by most of the commentary around the internet.

Justin9mm

Nah, I have a 13900K and a 4090 and I'm still playing this on Series X.. Cool thing is this is a play anywhere title so I could play it on the PC eventually if I wanted to.
Not to get into an argument with PC only master race ppl. But I have a nice home theatre Atmos setup and I'd rather lay back in my recliner and play on my 85" TV then sit at my monitor.

Tg89

85 for me. FO4 was their most recent major game so that's my reference point, I think they're closer to that developer than the one that made Skyrim. Also, combat is closer to FO4 by nature of it being guns, and Bethesda has never really been good at that.

Dumbest comment I've read in a while. Halo Infinite is sitting at an 86 average and you'd think it's the worst game ever made going by most of the commentary around the internet.

What I said is not dumb whatsoever, it’s from my own personal experience as a Xbox fan and with its community.

I have even said this week that this is going to be one of the most scrutinised and trolled games for some time. It’s not on PlayStation so their zealots are waiting and it’s been built up with hyperbole with continuing pressure because of what’s been going on with Xbox the past few years.

This is the modern insanity of score inflation at work.

Now 8/10 - 8 out of 10! - is a bad score lol. Literally 2 points off a genre-defining masterpiece.

This is so common though, people don’t blink at it anymore. The scale runs 0-10 but nobody wants to score under 7 and 7 is treated as basically 0 by way too many gamers.

Madness. This obsession with numbers.
but an 8/10 for this game would be a failure and a 7/10 would be a collossal failure, and 6/10 would be a cataclysmic failure.

9/10 - 10/10 is where the ambitions of this game lie. Anything less is unacceptable considering how much Xbox have riding on this game.

Montauk

but an 8/10 for this game would be a failure and a 7/10 would be a collossal failure, and 6/10 would be a cataclysmic failure.

9/10 - 10/10 is where the ambitions of this game lie. Anything less is unacceptable considering how much Xbox have riding on this game.

Yeah, just prove my point with your post.

God, please kill me.

Last edited:

Kirkio

If this reviews well and turns out amazing I'm going to have to buy another Xbox this wkend ffs. Knew I'd regret selling it in May

I locked myself into 84 the second that I heard it's 30fps even on Series X. There's no way they put in enough effort into the game for a flagship title like this to be 30fps on the "most powerful console of all time". I know it's an old topic and lots of people don't care it's 30fps, but it really grinds me the wrong way still.

kaizenkko

Do you guys REALLY think that will be a 90+ metacritic game? Guys, Fallout 4 score at 84. I'll be really surprised if Starfield surpass the 87.

Last edited:

Interfectum

Gold Member

God, please kill me.
What is even crazier is most people on this forum despise games journalists. We may have a couple that we like but the overall feeling is they are a bunch of clowns. That all goes away at a major come release when we all live or die by the numbers from the very clowns we claim to dislike. It truly is madness.

Hugare

A brazilian reviewer (really bad one imo, but popular in Brazil) leaked his review

Scored it 8.5

Some points:

+ Said good things about the graphics. Looks really, really good in general ("lighting is brilliant")
+ Performance is pretty great, 30 with some rare dips. Complained about it lacking 60 FPS mode, but it was a very pleasent 30.
+ Soundtrack is "epic" and sound design is really good and satisfying. Dub is okay.
+ Most polished Bethesda game ever. No crashes at all and few bugs, but nothing major. Talked to other reviewers, no one experienced some serious bugs.
+ Spaceships look awesome (but combat is bad)
+ Main missions and sidequests are really good. They are simple in design, but they are well written and engaging. Best part of the game.

- Loading galore. Lots, lots of loading screens (shows 22 seconds long loading to enter one planet)
- There's no map. You have a galaxy map, but you dont have a planet map. So exploring cities, finding vendors and etc. is really hard. You hate to memorize where they are.
- AI is really simple. No challenge during combat (companion AI is also pretty bad)
- Facial expressions are really bad. Nothing that would make you drop the game, but it sticks out.
- Exploration mechanics are underutilized. He never needed to prepare to explore an specific planet due to its toxic nature and etc., they all played the same
- No vehicles, so you have limited options for traversal

Overall: Great game.

Last edited:

God, please kill me.
These are review scores we're talking about from "professional" critics. They mean nothing to me and are just a proxy for console wars. I couldn't care less what critics have to say 99% of the time. I'm simply talking about the reality of the situation and the fact that often dev bonuses are tied to MC scroes... so they are definitely seriously relevant for many. For me, it's just a fun aside, and it seems to be you who is taking them all too seriously. I do however respect aggregate user scores, but those lately have been trash too with review-bombing becoming a regular occurence.

Gudji

A brazilian reviewer (really bad one imo, but popular in Brazil) leaked his review

Scored it 8.5

Some points:

+ Said good things about the graphics. Looks really, really good in general ("lighting is brilliant")
+ Performance is pretty great, 30 with some rare dips. Complained about it lacking 60 FPS mode, but it was a very pleasent 30.
+ Soundtrack is "epic" and sound design is really good and satisfying. Dub is okay.
+ Most polished Bethesda game ever. No crashes at all and few bugs, but nothing major. Talked to other reviewers, no one experienced some serious bugs.

- Loading galore. Lots, lots of loading screens (shows 22 seconds long loading to enter one planet)
- There's no map. You have a galaxy map, but you dont have a planet map. So exploring cities, finding vendors and etc. is really hard. You hate to memorize where they are.
- AI is really simple. No challenge during combat (companion AI is also pretty bad)
- Facial expressions are really bad. Nothing that would make you drop the game, but it sticks out.
- Exploration mechanics are underutilized. He never needed to prepare to explore an specific planet due to its toxic nature and etc., they all played the same

Will add more stuff later, still watching his 1h long review
I kinda already did that in another thread but you could make a more organized and detailed one.

Top Bottom