• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements/Updates 2013 - Summer sale start date? No one knows, don't ask

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Sonic Racing is reminding me of a pet peeve I have with some PC games. It's annoying when a game will keep a mouse cursor on screen even if you're fully playing it with a controller.

Yeah, this is a littlest of things that gets all the more annoying with how often you have to move the mouse cursor off-screen. If you can code the game to switch to X360 button prompts when a controller is detected, how hard is it to ditch the mouse cursor, too?

JaseC

Does anyone else feel like Steam is loooong overdue for a new client and UI?

They kept on adding more and more stuff atop the solid basis throughout the years (Trading Cards, Steam Levels, Greenlight et. al.) that it's just a mess now. Horrible UI aside, the client itself feels so "heavy" and blown up code-wise. Take simple things like navigating around the social features for which they apparently use an integrated browser based on IE6. It's a joke.

Another overhaul (codebase for certain; possibly also the UI) to coincide with the SteamBox is my guess.

As an aside, Steam ditched IE in favour of WebKit the month before Steam for Mac launched.

Edit: Bah, wasn't supposed to double-post.

Lint21

Neo Member

They kept on adding more and more stuff atop the solid basis throughout the years (Trading Cards, Steam Levels, Greenlight et. al.) that it's just a mess now. Horrible UI aside, the client itself feels so "heavy" and blown up code-wise. Take simple things like navigating around the social features for which they apparently use an integrated browser based on IE6. It's a joke.

That new UI you're talking about is Big Picture Mode.

Edit: I see, you meant on GAF. You contact a mod and beg.

Or ask that nice Mister Bishop person who very kindly changed my username whilst I was still a junior noob.

How is L4D2 the second best seller? I mean who doesn't own it already, it's been on sale a literal billion times.

Well me for starters. Plus lots of other GAFers who have only just got into pc gaming I would expect.

More humans reaching gaming age I guess. Or finally getting into PC gaming. I shouldn't talk though -- I managed to avoid buying Magicka for two years before caving.

I like you :).

Is left for dead 2 single player campaign worth the price or is the help a.i. dumb as rocks?

I don't know as I've never played it but it's free to play on Steam this weekend, or at least it is in my region so I would hope it is in yours too. So I would suggest that you give it a bash as I intend to, whilst it's free. A fellow GAFer suggested that there was an offline mode so I intend to delve into that if possible before jumping into an online shenanigans but ymmv :).

chadskin

Another overhaul to coincide with the SteamBox is my guess.

As an aside, Steam ditched IE in favour of WebKit the month before Steam for Mac launched.

I certainly hope so. They already made some significant changes to the User ID pages so hopefully that's a good sign. All I want is a sleek, minimalistic design and a lightweight client - that's not too much to ask for, is it?

I read about the browser engine change and it amazes me what they must have done to WebKit to slow it down so much. Chrome is twice, the hell, THRICE as fast as the Steam browser when I want to look at my profile or see the activity tab. Either fix the browser engine or ditch the HTML stuff to bake those social features directly into the client.

Yeah, browsing within Steam can be a pain at times. I don't know what's taking so long (assuming the internal browser even wants to respond to my request in the first place) when I can just go into Firefox and immediately access pages.

zerofivethree

Neo Member

This is the same thing Valve has done with the Source engine. I wouldn't expect them to change Steam anytime soon.

JaseC

Yeah, browsing within Steam can be a pain at times. I don't know what's taking so long (assuming the internal browser even wants to respond to my request in the first place) when I can just go into Firefox and immediately access pages.

I find that, from within the client, the store pages load just fine (comparable to Firefox), however Steam Community pages tend to take noticeably longer.

This is the same thing Valve has done with the Source engine. I wouldn't expect them to change Steam anytime soon.

Incidentally, Valve is working on Source 2.

Hakkuei

Sonic Racing is reminding me of a pet peeve I have with some PC games. It's annoying when a game will keep a mouse cursor on screen even if you're fully playing it with a controller.
If you're talking about Transformed that's not normal. The cursor should never appear as long as you're not moving your mouse, and it disappears as soon as you press a button.

Yeah, only admins can change usernames: the best mods can do is just pass on your request. A list of admins (and mods) can be found here.

Indeed, which is why after many years of lurking here I knew the best approach was to go straight to the organ grinder, rather than the monkey, or a metaphor that wasn't inherently disrespectful with a tag that said "please perma ban me" on it :/.

me too, someone please invited me...

Your best bet to be invited is in this thread here:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=443039&page=150

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Man... I am REALLY glad I decided to pull the trigger on Dust before the sale ended.

The gameplay is soooooooooo good. And it's a really beautiful game. Character designs aren't my style, but I look past it due to everything else being so good.

Highly recommend it whenever it goes on sale next.

It is especially a problem at sale time when you want to look at a lot of games. Using tabs in a proper browser is really the only way.

Grief.exe

Man... I am REALLY glad I decided to pull the trigger on Dust before the sale ended.

The gameplay is soooooooooo good. And it's a really beautiful game. Character designs aren't my style, but I look past it due to everything else being so good.

Highly recommend it whenever it goes on sale next.

We told you so.

If you like that game, put Rogue Legacy on your watch list as well.

JaseC

please invite me to the gaf group

Steam: BORNTOPLAY

Provide a link to your profile (I can't invite you since I get this when I click the "Invite to join your group" link). Not only is it easier in general, but it also saves a lot of time when you're not using a unique name.

Wok

What's this sudden interest to join the gaf group? :p

New people are mistaking the GAF gifts group with the GAF group.

S3rV6d8.png

Hey GAF, which Sims 3 expansion pack (not stuff packs) would you say is the best overall? My girlfriend wants to get one but doesn't know which one to get and I thought I'd ask for a consensus here.

Cheers.

Hey GAF, which Sims 3 expansion pack (not stuff packs) would you say is the best overall? My girlfriend wants to get one but doesn't know which one to get and I thought I'd ask for a consensus here.

Cheers.

Pets, and Seasons are the only two must haves. If you have to get one, get Pets. Supernatural, Late Night, and World Adventures are good as well. I haven't played University or Island Adventures enough but they both seem good. Ambitions is a disappointment. Avoid Showtime as it breaks the game and the latest Sims 3 patches address the issues caused by disabling Showtimes additions.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
I alway's liked the Pets expansions. Haven't played the 3 one, though.

In other news; Sonic Allstars looks absolutely beautifull!

JaseC

Among all the things I really really hope they implement proper streaming. "Loading..." won't cut it anymore in 2013+.

Erik Wolpaw implied as much in this Q&A. The lecturer comments on how nice Portal 2's loading screens are and Wolpaw responds with, "Unfortunately, we have loading screens at all. We're going to fix that eventually."

Glad I listened to the Sonic ASR Transformed recommendations, having plenty of fun. And I just unlocked Danica Patrick, so that's a thing. My experience in the genre has been pretty sparse, having only owned Super Mario Kart, Mario Kart DS and now this, but I'm happy to have gotten it.

Erik Wolpaw implied as much in this Q&A. The lecturer comments on how nice Portal 2's loading screens are and Wolpaw responds with, "Unfortunately, we have loading screens at all. We're going to fix that eventually."

That's cool. Cheers.

I've also been wondering if Valve will start to implement mocap in the future or stick to handmade stuff.

GMG 666

Rising Storm $10
Fallen Enchantress $11.99
Tropico 4: Collectors Bundle $9.99
Tiny & Big: Grandpa's Leftovers $1.99
Mafia II Complete Pack $13.24
Worms Crazy Golf $1.99

EdYLWbB.png

3Be0WOk.png

AYhVmBr.png

Not sure what I expected...
Yesterday turned out a bit different so couldn't edit my message until now.

26643-Jump-Out-Window-gif-AT8K.gif

Please bear with me while i go through and reply to the PMs, as it looks now only the first 10 PMs will get Sonic Collection.

Will also take a good while to clear up some slots in my friends list, damn those limits!
Anyone else who have that bug that when your friend list is full and you get a friend request, even if you remove a friend, it will still say "friends list is full" and you are unable to accept the friend request?
I have to decline the request and add the account again manually each time this happens, kinda annoying.

Alien Bob

taken advantage of my ass
I just got a grade back for a globalization essay on Tropico 4... I suppose I should actually play it one of these days, but ehhh... I'm really running out of funds, and I really still need to find Sleeping Dogs at an insane price, so I guess I'm skipping again...

grade was an 8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom