• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2015 - Three versions of Windows since the last Half-Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

M.D

There is a big glowing ring that gets smaller until it disappears along with a sound

When the enemies have a black, cloudy aura around them, they're impervious to your bullets. Your flashlight has two levels of strength - hip fire (weak) and combat stance (strong). Just passively aiming around without readying your weapon will chip away at their available protection, but it will take you about 3 Stephen King novels before it breaks their darkness shield. Aiming with your weapon will eat away at the shield much quicker.

There are two indicators for how much shield a particular enemy has left, one visual, one audible. The visual cue is a bright circle that almost looks like a lens flare that appears whenever light touches them. It starts off very big, and slowly wilts away until the shield breaks. The sound cue is a medium-pitched banshee-screech which gradually ramps up into higher frequencies. It will almost be completely shrill noise by the time the shield pops.
Thanks!

Jawmuncher

I caved and bought the Telltale bundle. It's such an amazing deal it's hard to pass up even though I probably won't play them all right away.

Walking Dead s2, GoT, Borderlands, Wolf, and Jurassic for around $20

I just needed GoT and Borderlands but it's still a great deal even this close to MGSV. After I'm done with that I'll be jumping on them. Hopefully the last episode releases are soon.

Mega Man Legacy Collection doesn't seem to be setting the world on fire according to steamspy, these tears I shed ;-;

I don't think its intention was to set the world on fire.

Did it, however, start a flame in your heart?

Flamesprite.gif

Jawmuncher

So the only Shadowrun I have is the original (as in original of the new games). Is that still worth playing? Heard it pales in comparison to the two expansions.

So the only Shadowrun I have is the original (as in original of the new games). Is that still worth playing? Heard it pales in comparison to the two expansions.

I mean it's still a good game, I only played that one myself but, it will be a good idea to play it since you already have it to see if you even like the newer games (even if they added and changed stuff.)

Uzzy

It really does pale in comparison to the two expansions. It's still just about worth playing, but it's very average at best.

Dsyndrome

Finished MGS: Portable Ops. Glad to experience the
non-canon
story, but fuck if I'll ever play it again. It was a little better using the Vita's right analog to control the camera than it was on PSP, but some of the gameplay aspects like the Silo Mission just felt like a chore to get through.
Why do you tell me after I knock everyone out that I need one awake to interrogate?
Why do I amass multiple teams of people to do missions, but 98% I have to use the one with Snake? Also, stupid knockouts only work half the time, the rest of the time, Snake just throws the guy to the ground or let's him go. Too many restarts to count because of that.

Next is Peacewalker, hopefully a lot of the systems messed up in Portable Ops are fixed, and that the grind doesn't get to be too much. Not going to make it through that and GZ before Tuesday, but should be feasible by mid-September.

derExperte

Mega Man Legacy Collection doesn't seem to be setting the world on fire according to steamspy, these tears I shed ;-;

Takes about a week before Steamspy's data is reliable and the emulation has some technical issues. If your potential customer-base isn't the biggest to begin with and more of the hardcore kind that's not good enough.

Dsyndrome

Nothing, but if I check the orders section it says "Canceled". I immediately used their form to contact them via email but still no answer.

All it says for me is partially released, I got it along with Anna's Quest. Hopefully it gets worked out for you, Nuuvem's pretty good with their support as far as I've heard.

FloatOn

Started steamworld dig yesterday. It's like terraria meets metroidvania. Pretty fun and I plan to actually take the time to beat this one.

Takes about a week before Steamspy's data is reliable and the emulation has some technical issues. If your potential customer-base isn't the biggest to begin with and more of the hardcore kind that's not good enough.
Didn't know steamspy took a week to work out. What are the big issues? The input lag in the thread seems to be the big thing but even then no one can agree on whether it's there or not. I certainly don't notice any but of course I haven't played the original versions in upwards of 10 years so that means nothing. Seems more like a tv issue or people confusing the framerate drops with actual input lag.

Bought Syndicate Reign and after Stasis I think I'm done with buying games for a while. No time with school and work! Of course I say this all the time so I doubt it'll last.

Jawmuncher

I mean it's still a good game, I only played that one myself but, it will be a good idea to play it since you already have it to see if you even like the newer games (even if they added and changed stuff.)

It really does pale in comparison to the two expansions. It's still just about worth playing, but it's very average at best.

Ok sounds good then. It's been on my backlog forever and I've been meaning to get to it.

Finished MGS: Portable Ops. Glad to experience the
non-canon
story, but fuck if I'll ever play it again. It was a little better using the Vita's right analog to control the camera than it was on PSP, but some of the gameplay aspects like the Silo Mission just felt like a chore to get through.
Why do you tell me after I knock everyone out that I need one awake to interrogate?
Why do I amass multiple teams of people to do missions, but 98% I have to use the one with Snake? Also, stupid knockouts only work half the time, the rest of the time, Snake just throws the guy to the ground or let's him go. Too many restarts to count because of that.

Next is Peacewalker, hopefully a lot of the systems messed up in Portable Ops are fixed, and that the grind doesn't get to be too much. Not going to make it through that and GZ before Tuesday, but should be feasible by mid-September.

Yeah portable ops gameplay wise is a rough beast that just hasn't aged very well. The capturing soldier mechanics alone get old fast. The story is fun for what it is though.
As for PW there only a grind for a tad bit, but you can negate it by focusing on Intel, so that you can get that part of the base built quicker for the ending.

Dsyndrome

Didn't know steamspy took a week to work out. What are the big issues? The input lag in the thread seems to be the big thing but even then no one can agree on whether it's there or not. I certainly don't notice any but of course I haven't played the original versions in upwards of 10 years so that means nothing. Seems more like a tv issue or people confusing the framerate drops with actual input lag.

The lag and slowdown in Mega Man 2 is pretty much exactly as I remember it, down to the spiked piston things in Metal Man's stage causing transparency issues. Only wish is that 7 and 8 were in the collection, but if the developer's not just blowing smoke up our butts, I'm ok with their reason.

derExperte

And as expected the Notch thread is dead.

Powered by ModBot
I'm just a machine and I'm still not as heartless as some of you assholes.

Started steamworld dig yesterday. It's like terraria meets metroidvania. Pretty fun and I plan to actually take the time to beat this one.

Shorter than it might appear at first and more on the easy side with little replay value. Was okay but I expect Steamworld Heist to be much better.

Backlogger

After playing Ground Zeroes a bit I stopped to try out the Legacy Collection for the experience and to get the back story. I don't think I can play the older games in the series. I think it's just going to be Ground Zeroes and TPP for me. Some older games I can handle old graphics, gameplay and controls but the older MGS games aren't working for me.

That reminds me I should finish that one, I'm probably more than halfway through it

Jawmuncher

After playing Ground Zeroes a bit I stopped to try out the Legacy Collection for the experience and to get the back story. I don't think I can play the older games in the series. I think it's just going to be Groun Zeroes and TPP for me. Some older games I can handle old graphics, gameplay and controls but the older MGS games aren't working for me.

You aren't the only one. A lot of newer players couldn't get into the controls of the older games. It's one of the reasons you see a lot of newer fans preferring 4 and PW. The only game to me that feels awkward is MGS3. Though the free camera fixes some of that. The 3DS version still has the best controls for that game.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Also trying to write a spoiler free story breakdown but still have it make sense is harder than you think. Speaking of, jshackles when do you need my recommendations? Did you say by tomorrow? Better pull my finger out I suppose.

Yeah, I'll need everyone's recommendations for the next OP by tomorrow night (about 36 hours from now). I'm going to be putting the new thread up Monday night PST, as I have surgery in the morning of the 1st and might not be able to make it to the PC for a few days(?).

Grief.exe

Negative reviews citing technical issues, input lag, and the divisive decision to keep slowdown and flickering from the original games. All the reviews I have read so far seem to show very solid controls including low input lag, I wonder if it is an issue with the PC version or just the reviewers individual setups.

Many are also mentioning the 'superior' Legacy Collection releases on PS2 and GC. I can't agree with this especially since those ended up actually having poor performance, poor IQ, and weird controls.

Jawmuncher

It's hard for people to have sympathy for someone who has every means for recovery available. Especially with how notch talked of such issues on his Twitter.

That's how I saw most of the comments anyway. Thread was locked for a reason though so we should just move on.

derExperte

Is it sad that I am not surprised since I am on GAF?

Wasn't that bad. Actually rather mild compared to the reactions elsewhere and hey, maybe don't use Twitter to vent about personal shit especially if you're a well known person. Doesn't mean people need to be wankers but it's not like we're talking about leaked mails or something, he's putting himself out there on purpose.

Negative reviews citing technical issues, input lag, and the divisive decision to keep slowdown and flickering from the original games. All the reviews I have read so far seem to show very solid controls including low input lag, I wonder if it is an issue with the PC version or just the reviewers individual setups.

Many are also mentioning the 'superior' Legacy Collection releases on PS2 and GC. I can't agree with this especially since those ended up actually having poor performance, poor IQ, and weird controls.

Thing is Anniversary Collection even had it's problems with lag and stuff. Not to mention if you were on the gamecube you had that B to jump A to shoot nonsense with no way to change it. it was also on the Xbox.

Wasn't that bad. Actually rather mild compared to the reactions elsewhere and hey, maybe don't use Twitter to talk about personal shit especially if your're a well known person.

I guess you're right.

Uzzy

It does look very atmospherically cyberpunk. How would you compare it to Shadowrun and recommend to turn-based newcomers?

Well, to start with, Satellite Reign is a real time tactics game, in an open world city, not turn based set in smaller zones. So that's one very big difference.

As you mentioned, the atmosphere of the game is quite wonderful, and totally nails the cyberpunk aesthetic. The mish-mash of cultures, languages adds to the feeling of alienation, emphasised by calling the city 'The City'. The music is fantastic, and again helps add to the wonderful atmosphere. It's a beautifully grim place to look around.

The story of Satellite Reign is almost an excuse plot. There's an evil megacorp and you're out to take them down. What you're really playing Satellite Reign for is the gameplay, and I have to admit that I've been really impressed by it. Each of your 4 agents have their own unique class and skills to utilise to complete your objectives. So far the objectives have mostly been 'get an agent into x building', but you've got a range of options on how to do that. Sneak your way in, hack some security cameras, hijack some guards to aid you, or just kick in the front door and kill everything that moves. It's great when you make a plan and pull it off, but it's an even better feeling when your plan goes wrong and you adapt successfully to still pull it off.

There's a lot of upgrades for your agents too, not just in skills, but in cyberwear, gear and weapons. Just getting a new weapon isn't enough though, you need to research the ability to replicate it to give it to the rest of your team and future clones. So you need researchers, which in turn need money to perform r&d to get you those upgrades. Basically you have to set up your own corporate production line to get your team really rolling, but there's a great sense of progression. You start off with agents packing puny sub-machine guns, but end up with heavily armoured troopers packing plasma rifles.

I'm really enjoying it, but it's very different from Shadowrun. If you combined Shadowrun's writing team with Satellite Reign's open world and tactical flexibility, you'd have a masterpiece on your hands.

SugarDave

I'm having a bit of a problem with Steam that I was hoping somebody here could help with. A handful of my games won't launch for some reason, the 'preparing to launch' window will pop up for no longer than 2 seconds then disappear, there are no error messages or anything. Some games still work but so far the Black Ops 3 beta, MGSV: Ground Zeroes and Resident Evil Remaster all won't launch at all.

I've tried reinstalling them, verifying the game cache and updating drivers but nothing has solved it. The only thing that has changed since they worked in the past has been the installation of Windows 10, has this been a known issue since it launched?

I'd really appreciate the help, thanks.

Well, to start with, Satellite Reign is a real time tactics game, in an open world city, not turn based set in smaller zones. So that's one very big difference.

As you mentioned, the atmosphere of the game is quite wonderful, and totally nails the cyberpunk aesthetic. The mish-mash of cultures, languages adds to the feeling of alienation, emphasised by calling the city 'The City'. The music is fantastic, and again helps add to the wonderful atmosphere. It's a beautifully grim place to look around.

The story of Satellite Reign is almost an excuse plot. There's an evil megacorp and you're out to take them down. What you're really playing Satellite Reign for is the gameplay, and I have to admit that I've been really impressed by it. Each of your 4 agents have their own unique class and skills to utilise to complete your objectives. So far the objectives have mostly been 'get an agent into x building', but you've got a range of options on how to do that. Sneak your way in, hack some security cameras, hijack some guards to aid you, or just kick in the front door and kill everything that moves. It's great when you make a plan and pull it off, but it's an even better feeling when your plan goes wrong and you adapt successfully to still pull it off.

There's a lot of upgrades for your agents too, not just in skills, but in cyberwear, gear and weapons. Just getting a new weapon isn't enough though, you need to research the ability to replicate it to give it to the rest of your team and future clones. So you need researchers, which in turn need money to perform r&d to get you those upgrades. Basically you have to set up your own corporate production line to get your team really rolling, but there's a great sense of progression. You start off with agents packing puny sub-machine guns, but end up with heavily armoured troopers packing plasma rifles.

I'm really enjoying it, but it's very different from Shadowrun. If you combined Shadowrun's writing team with Satellite Reign's open world and tactical flexibility, you'd have a masterpiece on your hands.
You really know how to sell a game. I am intrigued :O
Gonna watch some videos of it. Thanks for this great post!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom