• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2015 - _ Diretide Greetings and Happy Holidailies

Status
Not open for further replies.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF

SquareCells

7nl016L.jpg

Deques

I reactivated Display notification when a friend comes online. Was a big mistake as it took my focus from playing Binding of Isaac Rebirth and made me lose :/
I was gonna lose anyway

Why would this notification be such good idea when you have over 100 friends?

Arthea

I'm still in a bit of daze by Steins Gate and Danganronpa coming to steam, please be true!

FF7 is episodic? Not only it looks nothing like FF7 (from that new trailer) but as some shitty kingdom hearts action type of game, now it's episodic too? I knew I'll regret this announcement some day.... way to go SE, way to go

edited: SquareCells will have to wait for 2016 most likely, too many games, too little time

I'm still in a bit of daze by Steins Gate and Danganronpa coming to steam, please be true!

FF7 is episodic? Not only it looks nothing like FF7 (from that new trailer) but as some shitty kingdom hearts action type of game, now it's episodic too? I knew I'll regret this announcement some day.... way to go SE, way to go

edited: SquareCells will have to wait for 2016 most likely, too many games, too little time

Not episodic like LiS or telltale games.

It'll be multi-part in the sense of more than one game, but large enough. I think a good comparison would be to say it like the mass effect trilogy. It will be split up in a similar basis.

Also, it's not like Kingdom Hearts in gameplay either.

What will the battle system look like?

Kitase: Unlike the encounter battles in the original version, we were aiming for a seamless active battle like shown in the video.

Nomura: Regarding the speed of the combat, as well as the sensation of tempo, we have considered something alongside Dissidia FF that you can play without stress. The degree of action would feel like Dissidia FF > KH > FF7 Remake.

We are trying to make a new action combat system that definitely demand no action technique, and let you consider your strategy during the combat.

zkylon

zkylewd
while i'd rather play turn based than real time pretty much every time, there was little to nothing meaningful to keep from ff7's original battle system

L.O.R.D

Because people (like me) don't want take out 70€ for each part, since FFVII was a single game, even if each part is 20 hours long or so (so the same lenght of today's single player titles).
It's a crappy thing to do, and SE is doing it because:
-FFVII was a long game, around 70-80 hours in order to see all the content
-they use this so they can split the game into several titles and selling them

Of course this is my assumption, but they talked about "multi-part series", not an episodic game, so I believe each game will be full price.
And why do you think SE gonna release a $70 for each game? Because of xiii?
Well, xiii was a 50 hour for each part
Also , there is no evidence they going to cut the game like that
They said they going to be a Series, they didn't say episodic

Maybe they gonna make new lore for ffvii,
Like RE1-RE2-RE3-RE CV ..etc

Anything is possible.

Anything is possible.
Make no mistake, it will certainly be full price for each part. Keep in mind that this is an extremely expensive project and I certainly expect each part to be $60 each.

I hope the upcoming 8 page Famitsu interview will put any doubts and concerns to rest.

Arthea

while i'd rather play turn based than real time pretty much every time, there was little to nothing meaningful to keep from ff7's original battle system

that's not how I see it, FF7 battle system is almost perfection itself, every "improvement" can ruin it and it will, mark my words.
What FF7 needed was a hard mode and save plus option, updated graphics too and some minigames mechanics, that's it.

mentioning KH in relation to it makes me already hate FF7R. Why would you do it SE, why?

that's not how I see it, FF7 battle system is almost perfection itself, every "improvement" can ruin it and it will, mark my words.
What FF7 needed was a hard mode and save plus option, updated graphics too and some minigames mechanics, that's it.

mentioning KH in relation to it makes me already hate FF7R. Why would you do it SE, why?

What about the elements of the original battle system?

Nomura: “In the end, it’s based on Final Fantasy VII, so elements like the ATB gauge and Limit Breaks will appear with new ways to be used. Please look forward to how this game will evolve through the remake.”
At the very least, give it a chance. You might actually have fun with it.

Arthea

At the very least, give it a chance. You might actually have fun with it.

I will, but I'm pretty sure it won't be what I want it to be already, that announcement was too good to be true, so apparently it's not entirely true, it's just more KH games in FF skin...
KH was a mistake

zkylon

zkylewd
at the very least the game could use some heavy rebalancing but i've never found it challenging or interesting in the slightest

just attack/heal until limit break and never bother with magic or summons

maybe actual difficulty and changing EVERYTHING about the enemy attacks and how magic, regular attacks and limit breaks are balanced might work, but i'm glad they're just throwing it away, no lost love for me

fertygo

I will, but I'm pretty sure it won't be what I want it to be already, that announcement was too good to be true, so apparently it's not entirely true, it's just more KH games in FF skin...
KH was a mistake

but its not play like KH, there's frigging defense on menu

Ludens

Banned

Anything is possible.

?
Where I posted about XIII?
I simply think they will release several parts/games (since, you know, the "multi-parts thing), each game will provide around 20-30 hours of gameplay (basically, today's standards for single-player games) and it will be sold for full price, maybe something less (like 60€ instead of 70€). That's of course is mine opinion, and it's based on what I read.
Regarding episodic/series is EXACTLY the thing I wrote in the thread in community.
What do you mean with "new lore"? I'm pretty sure there will be new plot elements, maybe they want reconnect that Genesis crap into the game too, but I'm sure the core plot would be the same we know.

at the very least the game could use some heavy rebalancing but i've never found it challenging or interesting in the slightest

Did you ever fight Weapons in FFVII? I presume you didn't, because simply you can't beat ANY of them by attack/heal/spam limit break, except for the mandatory one you need to fight in order to proceed with the story, and maybe Ultima Weapon, that's easy like hell. But for Ruby/Emerald you NEED to carefully manage your materia and you WILL use a lot of summons, mime materia etc, otherwise is simply impossibile do enough damage if not by spamming omnislash, but even with that you'll probably need to use Phoenix in order to res your party.
So yeah, there's strategy in FFVII.

Arthea

maybe actual difficulty and changing EVERYTHING about the enemy attacks and how magic, regular attacks and limit breaks are balanced might work, but i'm glad they're just throwing it away, no lost love for me
ya, as I said a hard mode is needed.

so, you don't even like FF7? and you want a new game not FF7R?
see my point?

edited: have you noticed how everybody always throw their long time fans under the bus for new fans? and I mean always.

zkylon

zkylewd
Did you ever fight Weapons in FFVII? I presume you didn't, because simply you can't beat ANY of them by attack/heal/spam limit break, except for the mandatory one you need to fight in order to proceed with the story, and maybe Ultima Weapon, that's easy like hell. But for Ruby/Emerald you NEED to carefully manage your materia and you WILL use a lot of summons, mime materia etc, otherwise is simply impossibile do enough damage if not by spamming omnislash, but even with that you'll probably need to use Phoenix in order to res your party.
So yeah, there's strategy in FFVII.
i'll concede you have to use strategy in two fights in a 70+ hour game

that's hardly proof of anything

obviously i'm being reductive but i still stand by saying that it's a very undemanding game with a battle system that had a shit ton of moving parts that you never used because attack/heal/limit break got the job done much quicker

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Hacker Evolution -- MB-DCAA39C282AEDA07

t1449495259z1.png

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away an item. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

PGP3OVL.png
Divine Divinity GOG -- MB-CCFE4F05A7AE3186 - Taken by Mikurden. 2 entrants total.

t1449495499z1.png

zkylon

zkylewd
yeah squarecells is pretty damn good

wish some of the wording on the tutorials was a bit more clear, i got stuck for a long while over things i misunderstood from the text

of course you don't, carry on then
don't put it on me, that post of yours i replied to is a mess, dude

i can like a game and be critical of aspects of it, don't be silly now

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
I don't want FF7 but with just better graphics, I'd just play the ff7 on pc then.

So I'm happy with FF7R and if the parts is big enough then I have no problem with having FF7R-2 and FF7R-3.

fantomena

Finished The Old Hunters DLC for Bloodborne.

Now I just need Dark Souls 3 even more. So glad it takes inspiration from Bloodborne.

zkylon

zkylewd
I don't want FF7 but with just better graphics, I'd just play the ff7 on pc then.

So I'm happy with FF7R and if the parts is big enough then I have no problem with having FF7R-2 and FF7R-3.
pretty much, og ff7 is still a great game and you can play with that combat to your heart's content, no one's taking that away from you

also i'm very much unsurprised about the game being episodic or divided into parts or a trilogy or whatever they want to call it

you just simply can't afford to make games like ff7 anymore, making that amount of assets in the level of fidelity games have had since last generation is just too expensive. how many unique towns are in ff7, like 10? how many dungeons? how many monsters and animations and cutscenes and dialogue?

if you see something like witcha 3 that looks awesome and is a great game and everything, it only has two big areas with a few big cities and just a lot of open ground to reuse assets and not just perfectly unique giant city areas like in ff7

i think sort-of episodic is a decent tradeoff and could probably work well with how the cds were separated. they could even flesh out the third cd, who knows

Arthea

you don't even have FF7 on steam
I just find it funny

good for you that you are happy with new FF7, although I'd still wait with that until it's released, if I were you.

I actually have played FF7 12 times during years after it's release, so I can live without that remake at all, I got my moneys worth even buying this game bazillion times. It just makes me sad that it's not a remake for fans of a game. OTOH business as usual.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
I just find it funny

good for you that you are happy with new FF7, although I'd still wait with that until it's released, if I were you.

I actually have played FF7 12 times during years after it's release, so I can live without that remake at all, I got my moneys worth even buying this game bazillion times. It just makes me sad that it's not a remake for fans of a game. OTOH business as usual.

Why would I buy something I don't plan on playing at the moment?

I have my hands full playing FF13

I just find it funny

If you've played it 12 times why would you want it with just better graphics?

L.O.R.D

Make no mistake, it will certainly be full price for each part. Keep in mind that this is an extremely expensive project and I certainly expect each part to be $60 each.

I hope the upcoming 8 page Famitsu interview will put any doubts and concerns to rest.

i know , but it wont be 20 hours long for each game
mostly , this gonna be FULL REBOOT for FF VIII , not just mormal remake

like this: ( WITNESS MY AWESOME PAINT SKILLZ )

86KR7LR.png

UxiKbLW.jpg

J4S39NQ.jpg

zvrqHgt.jpg

YV6uCCY.jpg

h8TsvLq.jpg

I reactivated Display notification when a friend comes online. Was a big mistake as it took my focus from playing Binding of Isaac Rebirth and made me lose :/
I was gonna lose anyway

There really needs to be an option to only get those notifications for a select favorites group or something. I changed to just having the popups when people start games and that's still too much.

Nabs

I was gonna lose anyway

Turn that stuff off and enable it on select users:

rxXSfvI.png

I generally use it on friends I family share with. It's good to see when they sign on.

zkylon

zkylewd
Turn that stuff off and enable it on select users:

rxXSfvI.png

I generally use it on friends I family share with. It's good to see when they sign on.

oh didn't know about this, sounds helpful, steam popups always show up in that corner of the screen where league's minimap is, so it's really annoying to see those "x has connected" messages

it's a matter of life and death, really

I'm personally having the time of my life arguing against people defending every utter shit from the og game, like: eeeeeeh how dare they call it FF7 without the ATB, they don't want to preserve its historic value, bad Square bad.
People are crazy indeed.

As someone who was so against the idea of action combat for FFVIIR, I'm so happy with their decision in the end. The hybrid combat just fits the game perfectly. Still maintaining that classic feel with the commands and ATB, while also adding the modern flashy action combat. I only hope the AI will be decent though. I hate AI.

-------------------------------------------- >8

In the other news, Dragon Quest Heroes is currently sitting at a pitiful 12k owners on steamspy.
RIP Dragon Quest XI on Steam.

Tizoc

In the other news, Dragon Quest Heroes is currently sitting at a pitiful 12k owners on steamspy.
RIP Dragon Quest XI on Steam.

Compare this to Tales of Zestiria that gained 50,000+ owners by release.
Come winter Seal, should it go on sale it's likely to reach 100,000 at least.

This is what happens when your prior PC ports are substandard and you don't support them post launch with patches etc.

Compare this to Tales of Zestiria that gained 50,000+ owners by release.
Come winter Seal, should it go on sale it's likely to reach 100,000 at least.

This is what happens when your prior PC ports are substandard and you don't support them post launch with patches etc.

I wonder what's the break-even point for ports like this.

Although if we factor in opportunity cost, 12k can't be good...

Yeah, 12k is bad. Unfortunate, but it's ultimately their own fault. They reap what they sow. It seems that it's finally a decent port from KT, and I hope they can only get better from now on.
The game looks fantastic anyway, and I'll definitely get it at 50% off later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom