• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2015 - _ Diretide Greetings and Happy Holidailies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tizoc

How the heck do you play Squarecells?
I just hold the mouse and move around the squares.
What's the challenge here?

oipic

DiRT Rally is set to leave early access any minute/hour now (its back-end stats service RaceNet is currently down, among a few other signs) - the last of the planned major updates planned for the early access phase is due to drop at the same time.

I really hope this game does well, and that its full retail launch is a success and grows the user base even further. This was early access done just right, and Codemasters have gone back to basics with the game, too - it's one of the best racing/driving games of recent years, in my opinion. The oft-used remark that it's the 'Dark Souls of racing sims' might be a stretch, but one does not just pick up and master DiRT Rally - it's challenging and unforgiving, but fairly so.

It may be priced beyond the more casual crowd for now, but if you're at all into racing or rallying in particular, then this is very likely to click with you (it's a love letter to rallying and classic rally games of the past) - so plonk it on your wishlist and pick it up with confidence when the price is right for you.

MaxiLive

DiRT Rally is set to leave early access any minute/hour now (its back-end stats service RaceNet is currently down, among a few other signs) - the last of the planned major updates planned for the early access phase is due to drop at the same time.

I really hope this game does well, and that its full retail launch is a success and grows the user base even further. This was early access done just right, and Codemasters have gone back to basics with the game, too - it's one of the best racing/driving games of recent years, in my opinion. The oft-used remark that it's the 'Dark Souls of racing sims' might be a stretch, but one does not just pick up and master DiRT Rally - it's challenging and unforgiving, but fairly so.

It may be priced beyond the more casual crowd for now, but if you're at all into racing or rallying in particular, then this is very likely to click with you (it's a love letter to rallying and classic rally games of the past) - so plonk it on your wishlist and pick it up with confidence when the price is right for you.

It will also have the new patch with the Swedish tracks etc (for current EA owners).

Accoun

Was there some announcment of this earlier? Guy on other forum a bit over a week ago said that he got the info about it being released physically in Poland on december 11th and was wondering if it's leaving Early Access or are they going to release an unfinished game in the box (they were already selling Survarium premium physically here even if the game is still beta to this day).
I was wondering if he actually missed the news about it getting finished.

Arthea

unfortunately for Dirt Rally, many people had problems with running it in any satisfactory manner, me included. I just can't recommend it, because it's more or less unplayable to me. I very much regret buying it also.
I should check again when it'll leave EA, maybe they did something about that constant flicker and slowdowns. Or maybe there are already solutions, there were none when I checked community back then.

Pachimari

I'm gonna attempt to mod Final Fantasy VII, with the fan translation and such, so wish me luck, because I need it. Me and mods do not go hand in hand, and I'll probably fail at it.

Jawmuncher

I'm gonna attempt to mod Final Fantasy VII, with the fan translation and such, so wish me luck, because I need it. Me and mods do not go hand in hand, and I'll probably fail at it.

Why do you wanna get rid of this classic?
maxresdefault.jpg
to
vrnWK.jpg

Pachimari

I don't understand the context, but I have never played Final Fantasy VII anyway. My first one were Final Fantasy VIII.

[edit]
Oh, I only saw the bottom picture to begin with. Yeah, that translation are weird. ;)

Phinor

unfortunately for Dirt Rally, many people had problems with running it in any satisfactory manner, me included. I just can't recommend it, because it's more or less unplayable to me. I very much regret buying it also.
I should check again when it'll leave EA, maybe they did something about that constant flicker and slowdowns. Or maybe there are already solutions, there were none when I checked community back then.

It really can't be that many people with problems. I've been reading Dirt Rally threads (on other boards) for half a year and I can remember few individual cases with unsolved serious technical issues.

Still, they need to fix these things to get every potential customer they can. Dirt Rally doesn't have a huge target audience.

oipic

Was there some announcment of this earlier? Guy on other forum a bit over a week ago said that he got the info about it being released physically in Poland on december 11th and was wondering if it's leaving Early Access or are they going to release an unfinished game in the box (they were already selling Survarium premium physically here even if the game is still beta to this day).
I was wondering if he actually missed the news about it getting finished.

Yep, many retailers have run with the 11th, although I can't find a post from Codies now to confirm that; their last blog post (on the 4th) stated 'imminent' and 'next week', from memory.

Given the tight timing, and the last EA content update pretty much coinciding with v1.0, I'd guess those retail copies may not be much more than a Steam key in a box.

Sorry to hear that, mate - not too sure if those problems have passed for some or many since, but I don't recall reading of too many issues recently. My PC isn't great (~6 years old, propped up a little by the recent-ish addition of a pre-loved GTX 660), and I've not had any problems with most of the graphics options cranked up pretty high... but mileage does seem to vary quite widely with Codies titles at times, unfortunately.

Pachimari

I'm trying to install The Reunion patch to Final Fantasy VII (Steam version) but it says FF7.exe were not found, or that it is an incorrect file size, and that it only supports the 1998 version. So I guess the patch should be applied manually or that I got the wrong one? This is the one I have downloaded.

Jawmuncher

I'm trying to install The Reunion patch to Final Fantasy VII (Steam version) but it says FF7.exe were not found, or that it is an incorrect file size, and that it only supports the 1998 version. So I guess the patch should be applied manually or that I got the wrong one? This is the one I have downloaded.

You should just play with the regular translation, it's part of the charm.

Dr Dogg

You know if I was in the process of making a game that was launching on Steam but wanted to hide its identity from being leaked I'd call it Half-Life III as the working title/production name. That way you keep your project super secret and if any leaks do happen there's bound to be a bunch of looneys who think that app id is actually Half-Life 3 and possibly pay attention to it for future updates.

I think not having another MOBA in the world is doing us all a favor. That being said I like the art style in that game.

I don't like the artstyle, too cartoony and a bit too bland. And traditional MOBA gameplay is just too late to release these days. You simply just can't compete with the big two (or three).
I feel bad for those guys/girls though.

Chariot

I don't like the artstyle, too cartoony and a bit too bland. And traditional MOBA gameplay is just too late to release these days. You simply just can't compete with the big two (or three).
I feel bad for those guys/girls though.
The big two and the handful of retainers who manage to hild themselves at their feet.

rtcn63

Everyone just wants a piece of the pie, even if it's a small part. That F2P money isn't just something they're going to ignore.

Arthea

It really can't be that many people with problems. I've been reading Dirt Rally threads (on other boards) for half a year and I can remember few individual cases with unsolved serious technical issues.

Still, they need to fix these things to get every potential customer they can. Dirt Rally doesn't have a huge target audience.

I have all confidence in Codemasters, that's why I risked buying an EA title at all, I wasn't expecting what I found at all.

I just checked steam boards again, there are still people with this problem posting. Still only solution I can see running everything on low and that's hardly an acceptable solution. Oh well, I'm not in a rush to play it, I'll wait some more.

That face in this banner... it's not filling me with confidence

Sorry to hear that, mate - not too sure if those problems have passed for some or many since, but I don't recall reading of too many issues recently. My PC isn't great (~6 years old, propped up a little by the recent-ish addition of a pre-loved GTX 660), and I've not had any problems with most of the graphics options cranked up pretty high... but mileage does seem to vary quite widely with Codies titles at times, unfortunately.

Mine is fairly new, so it's even more alarming than I make it to sound, but then again I have legendary luck, so it might be just it, could be a driver or OS related too, who knows. I have bad luck with GF drivers too, or so it would seem, although I have suspicion everybody has bad luck with their game ready drivers lately.

man, tales from the boredlands is awesome

kind of rekindled my love for telltale

good on them for just making a really great story

this year has been great for stories in games

Yeah! I loved how they just put their foot on the gas and didn't let up. Set pieces could get as big as they wanted because they keep you focused on disentangling a relatively straightforward story.

The Borderlands ethos helps in this because it's naturally ridiculous. You can tell the writers' strong suit is in playing to this sarcastic, sometimes slapstick, style. For the most part, it avoids the Borderlands games' tendency toward "relevant" meme humor. There are a few breaks into that and, when they do, it's easily the worst writing in the game.

Arthea

3 days till Lightning Returns and it is still not possible to buy? SE, whatcha doin?
And Hatoful Boyfriend: Holiday Star still has no release date only 2015, Winter?

In before, the port is so crappy SE is actually afraid to take it out :D

I'm actually very interested in quality of this particular port as it is a part of trilogy I haven't played yet and one with most problems as far as I know. We aren't getting any reviews until a game is released, tho, are we?

Ludens

Banned
3 days till Lightning Returns and it is still not possible to buy? SE, whatcha doin?
And Hatoful Boyfriend: Holiday Star still has no release date only 2015, Winter?

In before, the port is so crappy SE is actually afraid to take it out :D

GKB

Yup, the best rally sim i've played in a long time. It really does take some effort to be decent, but when you do, it's very satisfying.

I also hope the game sells a lot, so that CM will make DLCs in the future.

Dr Dogg

Personally I'm not in any rush to shower Squenix with money for Lightning Returns. I'm more inclined to hold on to what I would throw at it until it's out and can see the state of it first. That "Supports Full HD display with a maximum resolution of 1920x1080" added to the store page pretty much sealed the deal for me waiting as it's just fucking bonkers.

Arthea

Personally I'm not in any rush to shower Squenix with money for Lightning Returns. I'm more inclined to hold on to what I would throw at it until it's out and can see the state of it first. That "Supports Full HD display with a maximum resolution of 1920x1080" added to the store page pretty much sealed the deal for me waiting as it's just fucking bonkers.

unlike you, I'm not worried about resolution that much, I just wanna know how this game runs (is it stable 60 fps or not) and does it look any better on PC.

dex3108

I started playing Nathan Drake murder simulator (collection) and man it still has that magic to glue me to the screen. Can't wait to play Rise of the Tomb Raider. I really love treasure hunt games and movies. Sad thing is that there are less and less of those :(

Ruruja

I started playing Nathan Drake murder simulator (collection) and man it still has that magic to glue me to the screen. Can't wait to play Rise of the Tomb Raider. I really love treasure hunt games and movies. Sad thing is that there are less and less of those :(

When some of the best treasure hunt movies star Nicolas Cage you know there aren't that many out there!

i know , but it wont be 20 hours long for each game
mostly , this gonna be FULL REBOOT for FF VIII , not just mormal remake

like this: ( WITNESS MY AWESOME PAINT SKILLZ )

86KR7LR.png

UxiKbLW.jpg

J4S39NQ.jpg

zvrqHgt.jpg

YV6uCCY.jpg

h8TsvLq.jpg

I think not having another MOBA in the world is doing us all a favor. That being said I like the art style in that game.
You are aware they all don't play the same right? I know the word MOBA makes people wrench back in fear and stuff but...

In any case I liked Gigantic and I haven't updated to Windows 10 to keep playing it yet since I have to now but, I was hoping that would keep going.

Turn that stuff off and enable it on select users:

rxXSfvI.png

I generally use it on friends I family share with. It's good to see when they sign on.

That's neat actually. Thanks Nabs.

Dr Dogg

unlike you, I'm not worried about resolution that much, I just wanna know how this game runs (is it stable 60 fps or not) and does it look any better on PC.

But higher rendering resolution also equates into 'looking better'. If you care about that, and resolution is generally the biggest improvement most late ports get in terms of image quality, then you shouldn't discount it. It's also a sign about how much care has been taken in bringing over a title from a fixed platform to a flexible one and possible the most paramount consideration you should make. There are countless display resolutions, both above and bellow 1920x1080 that hardcoding these when you can easily query Windows for what each users machine is capable of is not only crazy it is also possibly more work involved for less flexibility.

Looking through Enslaved and Killer is Dead which both have fixed rendering resolutions derived from a hardcoded list within the top level enigine.ini despite both being on UE3 and both having no rendering issues with arbitrary resolutions shows that who ever responsible for these versions are unaware how to query Windows for available resolutions. Look at Durante's launcher for D4, another UE3 game that had hardcoded resolution where as Durante went rejigged the launcher and queried the OS via a EnumDisplaySettings look up, took the selected value the user set and then wrote that to the settings file. And the source code to this is all up on his GitHub for anyone wanting to see what he did.

It boggles my mind, in part because even I, with limited experience and not a single shipped product let alone game to my name, can write an application in C++ to grab display resolutions, frequencies, even colour depth supported by a users system, and also that with the UE3 examples above you're essentially stripping functionality from an engine that is more than capable of and by selecting a set of resolutions by hand to offer up users creating more work for yourself than letting the OS and the game decide. True you do get some oddities like Rising which had it's UI also coordinate locked instead of relatively positioned but you'd think a developer with access to their own source code could fix this a lot more quickly than it took Dario_ff. But it keeps happening, game after game, sometimes from the same publisher hence my head banging comment yesterday.

Arthea

We're bankrupt and selling all assets to Ubisoft

bullying much?

when is too much?

People seem really upset about everything related to this FFVII remake, huh?

I dont get it. If what you want is to replay FFVII then, i dunno, just play one of the like 5 releases of it that are out there? Let SE fuck around with it, I don't want to play the same game twice. I want to see what FFVII would be if it came out now, for better or worse

lemme guess, and what you want is more important than what I want, right?

People seem really upset about everything related to this FFVII remake, huh?

I dont get it. If what you want is to replay FFVII then, i dunno, just play one of the like 5 releases of it that are out there? Let SE fuck around with it, I don't want to play the same game twice. I want to see what FFVII would be if it came out now, for better or worse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom