• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2015 - _ Diretide Greetings and Happy Holidailies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ludens

Banned
People seem really upset about everything related to this FFVII remake, huh?

I dont get it. If what you want is to replay FFVII then, i dunno, just play one of the like 5 releases of it that are out there? Let SE fuck around with it, I don't want to play the same game twice. I want to see what FFVII would be if it came out now, for better or worse

? What are you talking about? People are pissed because of the multi-release thing.
The only thing amazing me is people defending this garbage, actually, but there's a defense force for everything.

Uzzy

Some Street Fighter news! Here we have a trailer with all the alt costumes for Cammy, Chun Li, Ryu and M.Bison.

Chun Li is.. well, see for yourself.

DisguisedFlippantBurro.gif

DarlingFarawayJavalina.gif

Also, I need this cover art in my life.

Jawmuncher

Bearded Ryu is totally gonna be the default for the next SF. It almost feels like these were planned as their new looks, but they backed off for whatever reason.

dem thunder thighs :eek:
Turn that stuff off and enable it on select users:

rxXSfvI.png

I generally use it on friends I family share with. It's good to see when they sign on.
Did not know about settings for specific users. Won't help me though as I've disabled overlay completely until Valve puts the damn option to disable group notifications in-game. No overlay + Afterburner for screens is the way to go to me for now.
Sounds promising.
Quick stuff from interviews

-there will be some stuff that has to be cut, but there will be lots of stuff added. overall volume will be big
:/

lemme guess, and what you want is more important than what I want, right?

I'm not entirely sure what you want so i can't really comment on it. If what you want is a full on release from a company that struggles with making those then watching them embrace a more sensible release schedule, one that takes the modern considerations of how the company works and how media is currently distributed in account, should be commended.

It's like the first time in a while where SE has done something that actually makes sense in regards to the handling of their high profile JRPG releases. Having to produce episodes allows for the content to come out sooner, and for them to also make it better from one episode to the next.

Plus, no one is obligated to purchased them piecemeal. One can always wait till they're all out and buy the complete package, like many do with the telltale games for example.

? What are you talking about? People are pissed because of the multi-release thing.
The only thing amazing me is people defending this garbage, actually, but there's a defense force for everything.

I guess im not super invested in a remake of a game that i've played quite a few times. I always know that FFVII will be there, I would rather see a modern interpretation of it than just the same game. Part of that accounts for modern methods of distribution, too. I'm excited at the notion of an episodic RPG, not turned off by it.

The episodic release replicates the feel of changing discs when you had to rent them one at a time from Blockbuster and you parents only let you rent one game every few months.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
People seem really upset about everything related to this FFVII remake, huh?

I dont get it. If what you want is to replay FFVII then, i dunno, just play one of the like 5 releases of it that are out there? Let SE fuck around with it, I don't want to play the same game twice. I want to see what FFVII would be if it came out now, for better or worse

Fully agree with you.
Looking forward to see what they end up with.

though I was a bit upset by the decision to split it up to begin with but I think I've gotten over it.

ArjanN

I don't like the artstyle, too cartoony and a bit too bland. And traditional MOBA gameplay is just too late to release these days. You simply just can't compete with the big two (or three).
I feel bad for those guys/girls though.

I thought Gigantic was more action-based gameplay with direct control over a character, which isn't really traditional MOBA gameplay.

Uzzy

Bearded Ryu is totally gonna be the default for the next SF. It almost feels like these were planned as their new looks, but they backed off for whatever reason.

Yeah, Hot Ryu is pretty fantastic. I guess they need the 'iconic' SF2 designs as a safety net, but I'd take Hot Ryu over his SF2 incarnation every time.

Also, the Chun Li alt costume comes free with pre-orders of SFV on Steam. We just keep on winning.

Diedac

ModBot said:
Instructions for Diedac:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Zafehouse Diaries -- MB-A092681C3F5831C6 - Taken by Sarcasm
Interplanetary -- MB-3D080B3356FE3B28 - Taken by Madn

I thought Gigantic was more action-based gameplay with direct control over a character, which isn't really traditional MOBA gameplay.

Again the term MOBA is nebulous. I guess people just assume everything is similar to Dota/LoL without looking at a shred of gameplay and just immediately pass it off as something they don't want from just hearing "MOBA".

Didn't expect this.

Germany Now Sony's Largest Euro Market, Gamers Switching from PC to PS4

Shouldn't it be other way around lol? I mean, that's what happened to me. I play a lot on Playstation plattforms still, but PC took over.

My understanding, and feel free to correct me if im wrong, is that for the longest time the PC market was dominating in Germany due to the aggressive anti-violence stance taken by their regulatory bodies. So, this lent itself well to genres like Adventure games and Simulators getting a ton of traction there as they're low impact in that regard compared to the average console fare, where the FPS and shooters in general have been extremely popular for quite some time now.

Makes sense that it would be a large market for Sony to get into, though. Germany's economy has been very strong for a long while now so cracking it must've been a top priority for Sony.

I'm obviously making some large generalizations here but that's my take on it.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
DiRT Rally - Version 1.0 and Winter Wonderland Update

This is it. It’s all led to this point. It’s time for version 1.0!

Yes, as of today, DiRT Rally is officially leaving Early Access and launching on Steam. It’s been a hell of a ride and we’re so glad you’ve been able to join us along the road to launch. Between you, you’ve clocked up over 98 million kilometres so far!

Today’s Steam launch brings with it the Winter Wonderland update, which delivers a new rally set in the snow and ice of the Varmland region of Sweden to the game. These snow-filled stages are known for their snow banks and we’ve been hard at work on new soft edge tech that simulates the density of snow. As a result, you can now lean on the snow banks when pushing for those stage records.

The update also brings two new cars to the game, the Hyundai Rally and the Volkswagen Polo Rally. These cars are the most recent additions to the pinnacle of the sport and they are the perfect way to round off our Early Access programme.

The Winter Wonderland update also sees the introduction of Steam Workshop support that allows players to share Car Setup & Force Feedback settings.

We’ve also made improvements and refinements made to Global Leaderboards and League support.

Here’s the rundown of other stuff that’s new this month:
  • You can now tune your immersion levels by customising your OSD options, choosing between On, Countdowns Only and Off.
  • The Logitech G29 wheel is now correctly listed in the controller preset menu.
  • Custom Championships now reward you with the correct number of credits.
  • There’s a new EULA to sign when you boot the game, which asks you to kindly behave yourself when you’re playing with others.
  • Your favourite pet mouse has learnt a new trick, and can now change the livery on your car.
  • If you own an Owner’s Club event, you will now correctly own the Owned achievement.
  • If you pledge a wedge to an online Wager Event and the event ends while you’re on stage, we’ll give you your CR back.
  • Your Oculus Rift can now be toggled to lock the horizontal orientation. Look for a flag in the hardware configuration file.
  • Sliders on the Advanced Racing Wheel Options screen now increment at the same rate as the Steering and Pedal calibration screen.
  • Your Service Crews are back from their training course and will now correctly setup your car for multi-location events.
  • Stopped one set of Rallycross results from appearing on a Rally leaderboard.
  • You no longer need to hold the headlight control to activate your lights. You can now just tap that.
  • Windows accounts with accented and non-latin characters will now correctly save game settings.
  • Fixed a weird bug where the camera would briefly flick back to the default position at the start of a stage after customising the seat position.
  • @Kick_Up will now politely and calmly inform you if your wheels fall off, and if you’re going the wrong way.

As ever, please stop by the forums and let us know what you think of version 1.0 and how you think we did in early access. We couldn’t have done it without you!

Love,
The DiRT Team x

Didn't expect this.

Shouldn't it be other way around lol? I mean, that's what happened to me. I play a lot on Playstation plattforms still, but PC took over.

Wrap it up folks, PC's dead, some German people bought more PS4's than PC's last year, the end times are upon us.

But seriously how do they parse that data, are they presuming that a lost PC gamer is automatically going to PS4? I don't know German so forgive my misunderstanding.

There is nothing in the article to back this up, as of now, it's completely made up by the author.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking, even if it was true the data can be perceived as just market fluctuation and not some sweeping change in platforms of gamers. Even the charts provided show very little fluctuation.

Copons

Didn't expect this.

I fail to see the meaning of all those numbers.

How did they get them?
How do you even measure PC (as a platform) units sold (assuming that's what those graph means)?
How do you measure how PC games actually sell (I guess only publishers can get a sum of Steam/Uplay/GMG/etc, and for their games only)?

Didn't expect this.

Article doesn't explain anything on how they come to the conclusion. Just a short statement - baseless.
martketrxujw.png

If you go by this graph from the thread then you can see both PC and console lost both market share but still nothing to back up the claim PC people jump ship to PS4. TL:DR I don't believe it.

The article was actually more about the fact that Sony's largest market in EU is now Germany instead of UK, I bet the "switching" was just some comment the author threw in to reference Germany's strong PC base. It was never mentioned how many people are switching or what that means for the ranking of the platforms overall, and that wasn't the point. It's not too hard to come to the conclusion that if more people buy PS4s in Germany a non-zero number of people are switching from PC.

The info about the EU market and Sony is actually interesting, but it was easy to spin into console/platform wars, so here we are.

Hektor

So in order words, we cannot conclude wherever the PS4 is stronger than PC in Germany or the other way around?

We cannot conclude that people are jumping from PC to PS4.
The only thing we can conclude is that people spend more money buying videogames on all consoles combined than on PC.

Dr Dogg

There's only one way to settle this. We need a battle royal between the Sony-shil and the Steam-shil at the Allianz Arena and the victor will be crowned the biggest platform for Germany by proxy. Well at least it's more scientific than that article.

Tizoc

Some Street Fighter news! Here we have a trailer with all the alt costumes for Cammy, Chun Li, Ryu and M.Bison.

Chun Li is.. well, see for yourself.

Also, I need this cover art in my life.

Holy shit is that a reverse cover or fanart? Cuz if it's the later it needs to be the cover, it's fantastic

Chariot

Article doesn't explain anything on how they come to the conclusion. Just a short statement - baseless.
martketrxujw.png

If you go by this graph from the thread then you can see both PC and console lost both market share but still nothing to back up the claim PC people jump ship to PS4. TL:DR I don't believe it.
Yeah, the only thing I get from this is, that more percentages of the people playing games on their smartphones. Maybe there are not even people jumping ship and just an influx of people who weren't gamers and started to play games on their phones.

There's only one way to settle this. We need a battle royal between the Sony-shil and the Steam-shil at the Allianz Arena and the victor will be crowned the biggest platform for Germany by proxy. Well at least it's more scientific than that article.

Paging Grief.exe

/s

Dr Dogg

I really wished those folks who were trying to port the Steam client to ARM architecture drew more interest from those capable as seeing homebrew is possible on a Vita it could be a great in-home streaming device for Steam.

Monooboe

My New Years Resolution is going to be 3440x1440.

Hah, see what you did there!:D Have you been eyeing any specific screen?

I can't wait for the next geforce, with a 970 3440x1440 is unplayable mostly, some games to do work but most dont. Interestingly that game that worked best was Arkham Knight.

Sf5 is a Vita game, right?

no. weirdly enough SFxT was and it was on the same engine as SF4. Even weirder, the only portable legit version of SF4 exists on the 3DS.

I don't know what capcom was smoking when they made these decisions.

I dont foresee SF5 being on any portables since sony isnt doing another one of those ever again

Dr Dogg

Hah, see what you did there!:D Have you been eyeing any specific screen?

I can't wait for the next geforce, with a 970 3440x1440 is unplayable mostly, some games to do work but most dont. Interestingly that game that worked best was Arkham Knight.

Was looking at a Samsung S34E790C due to being at the time the only VA panel for a 34" 21:9 monitor. Display latency and contrast ratios are better than most too but it comes with a hefty £800 price tag. I'm still holding out for a less garish G-Sync model with a decent panel but unless Acer employs a new monitor designer I doubt that's happening anytime soon. They might perform really well but they look far too 'busy' for my tastes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom