• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2015 - _ Diretide Greetings and Happy Holidailies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chariot

Sorry, but Vita was shoved in the locked by Steam this weekend. We still don't know which locker though and Sony has no interest in finding it
I know, I know, but... she is still so young. She didn't deserve all the bullying done by GAF ;(

Parsnip

The only thing I'm looking forward to about FF7R is that it's UE4 and the screenshots from the PC version will probably be glorious.

why is return of Lightning still not purchasable, isn't that weird? only 4 days left till release

To maximize store front visibility in the "popular new releases" list on launch day.

It's a sign.

GdkLep7.jpg

fantomena

Press release for Nioh. Sounds like it's a full exclusive for PS4 until further or KT changes their minds.

Hertfordshire, 07 December 2015 – At the recent PlayStation Experience event in San Francisco, CA, Sony Computer Entertainment America (SCEA) and KOEI TECMO announced that Nioh, a dark, samurai-centric action RPG, will be coming to the west exclusively for the PlayStation®4 computer entertainment system. Nioh has been in development under the direction of Kou Shibusawa, Hisashi Koinuma, and Team NINJA.

In Nioh, players will traverse war-torn Japan as William, a blonde-haired swordsman whose background as a fierce warrior and seasoned knowledge of the blade allows him to survive in the demon-plagued land of the samurai. Known as Yokai, these demons inhabit a number of dangerous locations and lie in wait in the shadows to ambush unsuspecting victims. Players will also face off with other samurai in supernatural sword battles and intense, multi-target engagements offering a level of difficulty that will truly test even the most hardened samurai’s skills, patience, and strategy.

Offering a deep and original storyline that takes place during the Warring States Period of Japanese history alongside strategic sword-fighting action, Nioh will challenge players in a way that makes every mission and accomplishment feel earned and worthwhile. More information on this comprehensive, action-packed RPG experience will be released in the coming months.

? What are you talking about? People are pissed because of the multi-release thing.
The only thing amazing me is people defending this garbage, actually, but there's a defense force for everything.

I will be cautiously optimistic. Like I said yesterday, if they give a "Part 1" that has a fully-realized Midgar that's much more than the linear experience it was, and I can do much more sidequests/exploration than before (visit sectors and new shops/NPCs, bonus dungeons or battles, areas like the Shinra Building realized in much greater detail), I'll pick it up and see where it goes from there.

But the notion that a game like FF7 can't be recreated fully because of "unique assets" is total bullshit considering how many games have come out with similar or more content (story or otherwise) in the last decade. I don't think people were going to lose too much sleep if the assets or visuals were streamlined a bit in favor of an even deeper gameplay experience than we had before.

It's more likely that Square can't/won't invest as much upfront in it (even with outsourcing), even though it's basically been their ace in the hole for the last decade.

Anteater

I've been making some good progress with my backlog, more than half way through alien isolation and darksiders 2, once I'm done with those I shall get back to bioshock, I hope to finish bioshock 2 and infinite in 2016

and I got bored of zestiria after getting to wetland

I've been making some good progress with my backlog, more than half way through alien isolation and darksiders 2, once I'm done with those I shall get back to bioshock, I hope to finish bioshock 2 and infinite in 2016
I need to finish BioShock 2 and infinite too, :highfive:

Parsnip

What if FF7R parts thing means it actually comes out soonish, the first part anyway. At this rate it's probably out before FF15 is out.
What if they split FF7R in the same spots as the original game changed discs?

Press release for Nioh. Sounds like it's a full exclusive for PS4 until further or KT changes their minds.

It is, until it isn't.
It makes more sense to assume that anything and everything that isn't first party (either developed or owned by) has a big chance to come to other platforms. And even then it's not always certain as we now know with Helldivers.
It just doesn't make a lot of financial sense to limit your audience these days, unless moneyhats. And even then, the pile of money has to be pretty big, and Sony as a whole doesn't really have money to throw around.

and I got bored of zestiria after getting to wetland

I keep trying to go back to Alien Isolation, but then the Alien shows up.

Dr Dogg

Backlog smchaklog, buying games is my new hobby not playing them. It's a pretty shit hobby though :(

The only thing I'm looking forward to about FF7R is that it's UE4 and the screenshots from the PC version will probably be glorious.

Until Squenix lock the resolution down on PC :p

Kyougar

What if FF7R parts thing means it actually comes out soonish, the first part anyway. At this rate it's probably out before FF15 is out.
What if they split FF7R in the same spots as the original game changed discs?

Doubtful, considering that the original Disc 3 for the PSX version was basically the final dungeon/Weapon fights/Wutai sidequest (if you hadn't completed the latter two yet). It was barebones compared to how much stuff was on the first two discs.

I can see them splitting it up into 7 parts.

I: All of Midgar (+expanded content)
II: Kalm to Temple of the Ancients (with Aeris cliffhanger)
III: Great Glacier to Cosmo Canyon
IV: North Crater encounter to Huge Materia sidequest (+Wutai/Fort Condor sidequests)
V: Cloud Returns / Midgar Raid
VI: WEAPON fights (+ sidequests/exploration)
VII: North Crater Finale (+sequel hooks)

GaussTek

Doubtful, considering that the original Disc 3 for the PSX version was basically the final dungeon/Weapon fights/Wutai sidequest (if you hadn't completed the latter two yet). It was barebones compared to how much stuff was on the first two discs.

I can see them splitting it up into 7 parts.

I: All of Midgar (+expanded content)
II: Kalm to Temple of the Ancients (with Aeris cliffhanger)
III: Great Glacier to Cosmo Canyon
IV: North Crater encounter to Huge Materia sidequest (+Wutai/Fort Condor sidequests)
V: Cloud Returns / Midgar Raid
VI: WEAPON fights (+ sidequests/exploration)
VII: North Crater Finale (+sequel hooks)

Lol, there's no way they are going to split it in that many parts. 3-4 max at most IMO.

It is, until it isn't.
It makes more sense to assume that anything and everything that isn't first party (either developed or owned by) has a big chance to come to other platforms. And even then it's not always certain as we now know with Helldivers.
It just doesn't make a lot of financial sense to limit your audience these days, unless moneyhats. And even then, the pile of money has to be pretty big, and Sony as a whole doesn't really have money to throw around.

I believe.

The one issue I can see coming from FFVII being episodic: Doesn't that pretty much prevent them from doing a world map?

I suppose they could just do hubs for each episode, though. Kinda similar to what the Witcher 2 did with its progression.

so maybe not as bad as it might seem.

Lol, there's no way they are going to split it in that many parts. 3-4 max at most IMO.

I can absolutely see them doing that, considering what we know so far. Midgar is 10% of the overall game, and given how they're planning to structure this as "multi-part", it would absolutely make sense to string it out over the next two-to-three years and make as much money off it as possible. It's S-E's cash cow for a reason.

I fully expect to see costume DLC and sidequest DLC too, because I have no idea how stuff like the major sidequests or the Gold Saucer are going to work with an episodic format. The most I can see them doing is allowing you to traverse a single continent/hub world with additional exploration/content, but leaving the majority of it gated off until the next installment.

Dr Dogg

In this day and age of insane production costs and even more insane marketing costs to recoup said production cost, third party exclusivity is only happening if a small developer who would struggle with costs for extra staff accounting for multiple version simultaneously (though most indies go PC or specific console first then round the houses one at a time afterwards), said publisher can make that back on one platform, broker a deal to cover loss of sales on other platforms or has planned things to a tee ala TakeTwo/Rockstar with GTAV (doubt that's happening again soon as it was a tail end of last gen type dealio). And pretty much every single time it's a timed exclusive glossed up in some sales patter to get said platform who has exclusivity in the interim to drive sales towards their platform. Really you could argue no one winds in exclusivity deals but without having a multi dimension machine it's impossible to know for sure.

Got into the Division Alpha on Xbox One. Will inform how it is.

Be careful it's NDA'd up the wazoo.

Monooboe

Was looking at a Samsung S34E790C due to being at the time the only VA panel for a 34" 21:9 monitor. Display latency and contrast ratios are better than most too but it comes with a hefty £800 price tag. I'm still holding out for a less garish G-Sync model with a decent panel but unless Acer employs a new monitor designer I doubt that's happening anytime soon. They might perform really well but they look far too 'busy' for my tastes.

Ah yeah I was looking at the Samsung before I settled on a similar Dell but an IPS, need that color reproduction and I've always been happy with Dell. Though a part of me kind of wishes I could have waited for similar gsynch screen to go down in price and not be "busy" design wise as you said.

Gothos

I wonder how the pricing will be for each episode. I seriously hope they don't intend to price it 60$ for every part...

Hektor

How many games can you refund safely in a short time? I don't want steam to think i abuse the system when trying games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom