• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2015 - _ Diretide Greetings and Happy Holidailies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kriken

Guess I can't say anything, so sad.

image.php

Dr Dogg

Ah yeah I was looking at the Samsung before I settled on a similar Dell but an IPS, need that color reproduction and I've always been happy with Dell. Though a part of me kind of wishes I could have waited for similar gsynch screen to go down in price and not be "busy" design wise as you said.

Personally for media consumption I'm not too keen on IPS panels as they still have hideous contrast ratios and in dark environment even knocking the brightness back to nothing they still don't have the contrast range to no blow out the image. Great for colour critical work not so great for watching films and such on. I say that after having a mare with lighting conditions this time of year for the past month.

We all know how NDAs of closed alphas on consoles end up.

Is it, the email I had didn't offer a ToS

Don't know if they're all the same but directly under where my code was it said that the Alpha is under NDA and by agreeing to the terms in game you agree to the usual stipulations, ie no talk of game or content outside official forums, no capture of footage, no streaming etc. Chances a Ubi rep sticks their head in here? Slim to none but seeing how it's pretty much going to go to quite a few who put in a preorder code on their website it's going to be leakier than a cullender of water. Though as always you're doing so at your own risk.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
Indie Gala Capsule Computers "Every Monday" Bundle #89

Pay $1.89 or more (ONLY FIRST 24h) and get the following 7 awesome Steam Games.

AXYOS (STEAM) + :tradingcard:
Incitement 3 (STEAM) + :tradingcard:
Star Horizon (STEAM) + :tradingcard:
A Bastard's Tale (STEAM) + :tradingcard:
Osteya (STEAM) + :tradingcard:
Epic Showdown (STEAM)
Chronoclysm (STEAM)

https://www.indiegala.com/monday

data

Anyone has any thoughts on the games?
I'm trying to cut my bundle spending, Steam reviews are as reliable for <100 as SteamSpy is for TitS SC-like numbers.
Anything there that'd warrant spending $1.9?

Haven't played any of these, but after reading the steam reviews they seem like games you'd play if you've got totally nothing else in your backlog.

Jawmuncher

Played a bit of Battleborn as was pretty surprised. Better than I thought it would be. Still should have been THird Person though.

How long do you think till Gearbox breaks the glass and adds a Borderlands character to try and push Battleborn sales?

I'm tempted to say they might do it as a last minute desperate preorder bonus.

Jawmuncher

How long do you think till Gearbox breaks the glass and adds a Borderlands character to try and push Battleborn sales?

I'm tempted to say they might do it as a last minute desperate preorder bonus.

Yeah I see them doing it as a last ditch effort too. At GameStop ClapTrap already advertises the game.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I wouldn't know!

Nope and nope

Got a bit further, interested to see where you get to.

The first 15 minutes are really the most solid portion, so you won't miss much!

I've heard they addressed some criticisms in the DLC chapter, still haven't picked it up yet to see though.

I'll definitely say Outlast diminishes a lot of the horror as it goes on, but I would say there's several equally solid moments. The beginning sequence is up there, but my favorite bit of the game has always been
the part with the doctor, and the following segment when you're outside

This said, I had some issues with Outlast, and it sounds you did too. I did write a review for the Whistleblower DLC, which I'll post here as it's non-spoilery.

The DLC for Outlast, 'Whistleblower', is more or less more the same sort of thing as the main game. And that'll either be a good or bad thing depending on who you are. They do switch up stuff, and they have a few new interesting stalkers, and a narrative that ties in well with the main game. But still, it for better or worse feels like an expansion of the game. If this is what you're looking for, you'll be very pleased. If you wanted something more different, this may not be it.

Something I noticed is that they tried to be a lot more radical with this one. And by radical, I mean they wanted to disturb the player and really make them feel uncomfortable. There's a specific section of the DLC that might really turn some people off, and this feels like the intended effect. And they deal with more radical ideas. It's hard to talk about this without spoiling elements of the DLC, but just know if you're offended, disgusted, or have an issue with nudity and mutilation, it is here in the forefront and trying to offend those with weaker appetites for the deranged.

You spend a little more time outside than you did in the main game, and most of the areas are new in the DLC (and those that you revisit have twists on them). There's also more on the overall story and outcome of the events that happened in the main game, so for those interested story-wise, it expands some on the universe and fallout from the events of the main game, as well as telling the personal story of somebody new who goes through the incident from beginning to end.

One thing I was curious about the DLC was how encounters would differ. One of the biggest flaws of the original game was that the encounters got very predictable after a while. Whistleblower does mix things up some, but honestly it was less different than I was hoping. There's no segments of 'Go to three points and exit' like the original game, and I noticed a bigger presence of back-tracking than I recalled there being in the original game. A few encounters were set-up to start at different points than you might expect, but they do feel like the same sort of thing. Though I did find the areas to be more designed to allow you to sneak around, the original game felt towards the end like it was throwing most of the same sort of things you'd already seen before during the last third of the game until the very end sequence, so I was hoping to see more mix-up here.

The new stalkers (of which there are two new main ones of) are both enjoyable. One makes a very distinct sound, which makes his encounters much more audio-based. The other is deliciously deranged, and charismatic. You also encounter a few of the original game's stalkers once or twice, but notably they seem to have chosen the stalkers that didn't appear much in the original either.

The DLC I would place at 2-4 hours long. It took me 3 & a half hours to complete it, but I got confused at a few segments of what I needed to do, and took some time to look at things.

It's well-made, and really does feel like an expansion. If that's what you want, more Outlast, this is it. And it's good. However, if Outlast dragged on you, then this is more of it. It's well-made, but not really all that different. There are some fun encounters and moments, however. But heed that it all gets more messed-up than the original game. I don't say that exaggeratedly, they obviously decided to take advantage of the fact that DLC is not rated, as if it was this goes into some ESRB AO-Rated territory.

A good piece of DLC that maybe isn't revolutionary or all that different from the main game, but is still well-made and worth experiencing if you happened to like the main game.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Spares:

ModBot said:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

The Chronicles of Emerland Solitaire -- MB-E5AED996AEC57D71 - Taken by NingenJanai
Titan -- MB-4B1090E045C43B58 - Taken by Eila
Love -- MB-DEC471A59F438FC4 - Taken by Hektor
Fire and Forget: The Final Assault -- MB-02B2EE6CB7B92B6C - Taken by madjoki
Marvin's Mittens -- MB-F8186F20042EACA5 - Taken by Dusk Golem

Edit: Titan isn't Titan Quest, obviously.

Yeah I see them doing it as a last ditch effort too. At GameStop ClapTrap already advertises the game.
So yeah, looks like they're not going to even pretend to not lean into the borderlands stuff if they have to. Not showing a lot of confidence in their own product is kind of a bad sign.

Also, when the heck did amnesia get controller support? I gave up waiting for that to happen years ago but noticed the controller icon when checking out my library the other day. I guess I should give that game another shot.

dex3108

Hey SteamGAF here is Google Sheet where you can add your SteamGAF nick and yout Twitter name.

Google Sheet

And there is also Twitter list that i made from people who i follow

Twitter List

Feel free to add yourself if you want :D And if you agree Thread creator can include it if he want's in OP.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Hey SteamGAF here is Google Sheet where you can add your SteamGAF nick and yout Twitter name.

Google Sheet

And there is also Twitter list that i made from people who i follow

Twitter List

Feel free to add yourself if you want :D And if you agree Thread creator can include it if he want's in OP.

As a heads-up, the google sheet should be a form for submission rather than directly editable by any visitor.

Got a bit further, interested to see where you get to.

I'll definitely say Outlast diminishes a lot of the horror as it goes on, but I would say there's several equally solid moments. The beginning sequence is up there, but my favorite bit of the game has always been
the part with the doctor, and the following segment when you're outside

This said, I had some issues with Outlast, and it sounds you did too. I did write a review for the Whistleblower DLC, which I'll post here as it's non-spoilery.

Unfortunate that it didn't do much to address the areas I took issue with, but I suppose it was already too far along in development by the time the brunt of criticisms arose for there to be much change made. Still, it wasn't as big of a wash as I like to play it out as, and I think the team has the ability to deliver. I've got my eyes on Outlast II for sure.

Good call about (Outlast 1 spoilers):
the doctor segment. I was really entertained by how twisted his character was and the 'calm in the storm' weirdness after escaping his clutches. I'd say it's even stronger than the opening, which is why I think if the team really puts their minds to it, Outlast II could be really something.

zkylon

zkylewd
Thanks, I'll turn that on
for my redheads
well i'm part redhead so i shold be fine rite

Yeah! I loved how they just put their foot on the gas and didn't let up. Set pieces could get as big as they wanted because they keep you focused on disentangling a relatively straightforward story.

The Borderlands ethos helps in this because it's naturally ridiculous. You can tell the writers' strong suit is in playing to this sarcastic, sometimes slapstick, style. For the most part, it avoids the Borderlands games' tendency toward "relevant" meme humor. There are a few breaks into that and, when they do, it's easily the worst writing in the game.
yeah i think there's a surprising confidence in the humor of tales (wether it's the slapstick or more acid kind) that i didn't i find in the boredlands games themselves, and it's charming af

and it's actually endearing and sad and sweet sometimes, it's not a one-note thing but it's got some range

gonna be on my goty list for sure

it's so annoying how quickly and how sharply the Assassin's Creed games drop in price on the consoles. I've seen Unity for well under $10 so many times and I keep passing on it because I'd rather have it on PC.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Unfortunate that it didn't do much to address the areas I took issue with, but I suppose it was already too far along in development by the time the brunt of criticisms arose for there to be much change made. Still, it wasn't as big of a wash as I like to play it out as, and I think the team has the ability to deliver. I've got my eyes on Outlast II for sure.

Good call about (Outlast 1 spoilers):
the doctor segment. I was really entertained by how twisted his character was and the 'calm in the storm' weirdness after escaping his clutches. I'd say it's even stronger than the opening, which is why I think if the team really puts their minds to it, Outlast II could be really something.

I've got my eyes on Outlast 2 as well. They for a while were thinking of doing something else, but then said they were definitely doing Outlast 2, so I'm curious what idea they had that made them want to tackle Outlast 2? I think they're aware of the same-y sort of repetition of the original game, and that the sequel won't get by if its more of the same (and Whistleblower works as an expansion to the originals formula), and a sequel will really need to mix things up. I find myself intrigued to see how they plan to play this, or what they have in mind.

And yai,
Doctor was definitely the most memorable villain despite him being the stalker you meet and then kill the quickest. Was the most memorably twisted of the stalkers, but less mentioned I think is the encounter they made with him was also memorably tense and had a different sort of feel to it to a lot of the other chase scenes in the game.

The following outside segment as you switch buildings actually scared me a lot, I don't know if people experienced what I did, maybe I just did everything perfectly to get maximum effect, but it was one of the scariest segments of the game for me. Between running low on batteries at that point I was trying to conserve, while exploring suddenly having the shadow come right at you from the shed, the way the outside stalker appeared was perfect for me (I was wandering through the dark not sure where I was going, stopped to take a look around at a fountain, turn behind me and RIGHT THEN lightning flashes and I see the stalker running right towards me as the music cues up. Follow this with me having no idea where I'm going and desperately looking for a way out, the least collected I was during any of the chase sequences thus ended up the most frantic as I blindly had to run through the dark some. XD; ).

Again, I find myself interested what they have in mind for the Outlast sequel since I feel everything the main game tried to do has been explored, so the sequel can't strictly be more the same I think, and they said before they announced Outlast 2 they wouldn't want to do a sequel unless they had some ambitious idea for it. So I guess we shall see.

I also just realized Outlast 2 already has a Steam Page: http://store.steampowered.com/app/414700/

For some reason, didn't know that, or seen the teaser trailer before. Makes it look like a religious angle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom