• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2015 - _ Diretide Greetings and Happy Holidailies

Status
Not open for further replies.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Well, I was right regarding FFVII. What a garbage. I mean, I'm ok with this Remake, because is actually a REMAKE and not a remaster. I'm not ok with the fact I need to buy three or more games for 70€ just to have the complete story, this is simply garbage.

To an extent I agree, but price seems like a strange argument when we're talking about video games. First of all, nobody is making you buy the game on release. Given other recent Final Fantasy games (for example, Type-0 HD) the games will be $20-$30 within 6 months of release. So if there ends up being 3x$60 games (we still don't know the details) you could simply wait 6 months for each release and instead pay 3x$20 = $60 or the cost of one "full game". It's not like you don't know what's going to happen anyway.

Every indication right now is that this is less about "breaking up the game into smaller chunks we can sell you and make more money" and more about "this game is absolutely massive and we don't want to cut anything to make it fit into a single game. In fact, we want to expand on the existing universe, but making a 200 hour game that spans 3 blu-ray discs worth of content isn't feasible because it'll take so long that the project will likely get canned before it ever sees the light of day." Starcraft II had a similar fan response when they told everyone they were splitting the campaign into three separate games, but in the end (now that it's years later and we can look back on how it went) everything turned out great - we got three campaigns that were themselves longer than the original Starcraft. I think, or at least hope, that we'll see something similar here.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
Hey SteamGAF here is Google Form where you can add your SteamGAF nick and yout Twitter name.

Google Form

Google Sheet with SteamGAF Twitter names

Google Sheet

And there is also Twitter list that i made from people who i follow

Twitter List

Feel free to add yourself if you want :D And if you agree Thread creator can include it if he want's in OP.

Old Sheet has been deleted so please submit your names again.

Eh, the problem is FFVII is my favourite FF, I rarely buy games on D1, but FFVII would be one of those games. Anyway to get it dirty chip on PC...how many YEARS I need to wait, considering FF is the only franchise SE never discount? Excluding that offer on Newegg (an offer I couldn't access even if I wanted too), FF games rarely get a discount, and we are talking about 3,4 etc. Now think about FFVII, it will turn into (probably) the best franchise for SE for a long time, because the hype around the game is legendary (from people which played it and from people which never gave it a try because they are too young/other reasons, but they always heard about the game).

Real problem here is not the price itself, because I don't buy D1 games each day: the problem is, I'll take out 60€ for a game, than I'll need to wait X time because it's not the complete game, despite how good it will be.

I haven't paid full price for final fantasy game since I bought Final Fantasy VIII on the PSX. And the FFXIII games have seen several discounts. The series isn't as prestigious anymore, they get the typical SE discounts all of the time.

Knowing SE, they'll do some amazing retail bundle of the whole game with a fake buster sword and shit when they get to the last episode so if youre really a big fan I'd probably hold off. Otherwise, they'll milk you for every penny they can, on multiple machines, over and over again.

Ludens

Banned
To an extent I agree, but price seems like a strange argument when we're talking about video games. First of all, nobody is making you buy the game on release. Given other recent Final Fantasy games (for example, Type-0 HD) the games will be $20-$30 within 6 months of release. So if there ends up being 3x$60 games (we still don't know the details) you could simply wait 6 months for each release and instead pay 3x$20 = $60 or the cost of one "full game". It's not like you don't know what's going to happen anyway.

Every indication right now is that this is less about "breaking up the game into smaller chunks we can sell you and make more money" and more about "this game is absolutely massive and we don't want to cut anything to make it fit into a single game. In fact, we want to expand on the existing universe, but making a 200 hour game that spans 3 blu-ray discs worth of content isn't feasible because it'll take so long that the project will likely get canned before it ever sees the light of day." Starcraft II had a similar fan response when they told everyone they were splitting the campaign into three separate games, but in the end (now that it's years later and we can look back on how it went) everything turned out great - we got three campaigns that were themselves longer than the original Starcraft. I think, or at least hope, that we'll see something similar here.

Jshackles, please read the post I wrote in the other page. It's not the price of the game (I'd pay full price for it with joy because al of you know how much I love FFVII, man, I played that something like 7 times FULLY), it's the fact I won't have the complete game in my hands, and I'll need to wait the hell of time just to get part 2 and part 3 because SE decided so. I mean, yeah, I already know the story, but it won't be the same thing, it's natural you want to play it ALL in one setting.

Also yeah, they don't want cut content, and this is great, but in the same article they say they will cut content. It's VERY confusing. The only thing I know now, it's that I NEED FFVII.
I mean, even FFXV looks interesting and I want play it, but for FFVIIR is another thing, it's like waiting for FFVIII and reading previews on magazines 16 years ago on the back of a newsstand.

Jazz573

Jshackles, please read the post I wrote in the other page. It's not the price of the game (I'd pay full price for it with joy because al of you know how much I love FFVII, man, I played that something like 7 times FULLY), it's the fact I won't have the complete game in my hands, and I'll need to wait the hell of time just to get part 2 and part 3 because SE decided so. I mean, yeah, I already know the story, but it won't be the same thing, it's natural you want to play it ALL in one setting.

Just wait till it's all out then. :p

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
A more pessimistic way of saying what jshackles just said, while not changing any facts, is that publishers increasingly cannot sustain the financial gamble of launching a marquee title. Too long without any revenue, too much risk, too many points where stuff can go wrong, too many staff being tied up. One way you can mitigate this is through things like early access, kickstarter, and other mechanisms that reduce risk upfront, but these techniques do not scale in the way they need to for a large publisher.

So then you get something like MGS Ground Zeroes: Konami gets revenue, they get real-world testing of codebase and feedback about gameplay, the need to produce the SKU gets the team in crunch mode and milestone-focused instead of floundering, etc.

If you look at SE, this has been a lost decade. FF13's development was a fiasco. The engine investment was not good. It took forever. It sucked up all their best employees for nothing. The resulting game was disappointing. How did they help mitigate this? Release two quick sequels that allowed them to reuse assets to maintain revenue while subsequent projects were still being staffed up. Contemporaneous to FF13 you have FFv13, now FF15, whose development was also a fiasco, culminating with it rebooting. It's clear they can't compete on tech, it's clear their own tech stack doesn't work, and it's clear the business model is unsustainable.

Enter FF7r:
1) Main development partially outsourced (lower in-house staff commitment)
2) Using an external engine (admitting defeat on the costs of developing own tech)
3) Some sort of episodic business model (reduces risk, reduces protracted development time, allows them to monetize in-progress development)

I don't think it's them setting out to soak fans or scam people or triple revenue, I think it's a survival mechanism. They can't produce a 30-50 hour game at the visual scale they're being asked to without help, which is why they're making use of something that will help them.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

The alternative of course is that we all sit patiently for years and wait for every part of the game to be complete before they are released all at once. Personally I'd rather have yearly installments of Final Fantasy VII rather than waiting. A lot of the info given in the latest trailer seems to suggest that quite a bit of the first part of the game has already been finished - we even have English voice acting. It's possible we'll see the first game released in 2016, and in my opinion that's better than waiting until 2020 until everything's wrapped up.

Besides - if you're like me this will be a game you'll play through multiple times. I'm really stoked for playing these as they release and am ultimately looking forward to doing a "complete" playthrough again once everything's been released.

Yeah, you know me. If I'll wait so much time, I'll end up on spoiling the ENTIRE game, secrets included, like I did with Type 0.

but...it's a remake of FFVII. we can assume that almost all of the broad strokes of the story are going to be kept intact.

PS, all im getting from you is a lack of restraint here. You can't hold Square Enix accountable for your inability to not throw money at them

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
Turok Remastered

Night Dive Studio Reveals New Screenshots In Acclaim's Prehistoric Shooter

Gq0UZrp.jpg
j6vtkkZ.jpg
Bg6BJKb.jpg

Ludens

Banned
The alternative of course is that we all sit patiently for years and wait for every part of the game to be complete before they are released all at once. Personally I'd rather have yearly installments of Final Fantasy VII rather than waiting. A lot of the info given in the latest trailer seems to suggest that quite a bit of the first part of the game has already been finished - we even have English voice acting. It's possible we'll see the first game released in 2016, and in my opinion that's better than waiting until 2020 until everything's wrapped up.

Besides - if you're like me this will be a game you'll play through multiple times. I'm really stoked for playing these as they release and am ultimately looking forward to doing a "complete" playthrough again once everything's been released.

No doubt about the quality of the game, I simply love what CyberConnect did in that trailer, all of it. I think the new combat system a la KH is a very positive thing, from this side there are no issues for me.
Well, let's see what will happen, than. I only hope SE will do the right thing releasing the game on PC at the same time of PS4.

but...it's a remake of FFVII. we can assume that almost all of the broad strokes of the story are going to be kept intact.

PS, all im getting from you is a lack of restraint here. You can't hold Square Enix accountable for your inability to not throw money at them

Lol, yeah, pretty much. I'm not a dude of previews, etc, but in some rare cases, I have my weak points (pretty much Metal Gear stuff related, FF games partially, because after XII my interest pretty much died for years, Silent Hill, CDPR games and Team Ico games, that's all I think).

A more pessimistic way of saying what jshackles just said, while not changing any facts, is that publishers increasingly cannot sustain the financial gamble of launching a marquee title. Too long without any revenue, too much risk, too many points where stuff can go wrong, too many staff being tied up. One way you can mitigate this is through things like early access, kickstarter, and other mechanisms that reduce risk upfront, but these techniques do not scale in the way they need to for a large publisher.

So then you get something like MGS Ground Zeroes: Konami gets revenue, they get real-world testing of codebase and feedback about gameplay, the need to produce the SKU gets the team in crunch mode and milestone-focused instead of floundering, etc.

If you look at SE, this has been a lost decade. FF13's development was a fiasco. The engine investment was not good. It took forever. It sucked up all their best employees for nothing. The resulting game was disappointing. How did they help mitigate this? Release two quick sequels that allowed them to reuse assets to maintain revenue while subsequent projects were still being staffed up. Contemporaneous to FF13 you have FFv13, now FF15, whose development was also a fiasco, culminating with it rebooting. It's clear they can't compete on tech, it's clear their own tech stack doesn't work, and it's clear the business model is unsustainable.

Enter FF7r:
1) Main development partially outsourced (lower in-house staff commitment)
2) Using an external engine (admitting defeat on the costs of developing own tech)
3) Some sort of episodic business model (reduces risk, reduces protracted development time, allows them to monetize in-progress development)

I don't think it's them setting out to soak fans or scam people or triple revenue, I think it's a survival mechanism. They can't produce a 30-50 hour game at the visual scale they're being asked to without help, which is why they're making use of something that will help them.

Yeah, I need to agree with you. Even if I don't like the fact the game is splitted, I fully understand how can be dangerous for SE release a single game costing so much money, expecially after XIII fiasco.

Hektor

Sc2 is probably exactly the reason why i don't like this, because the time between each installment was overall far too long to the point that i stopped caring about it for quite some time.

Add to that the fact that all 3 campaigns even added together in one client don't feel like one big, singular product (How it should be) because of the changes they made to stuff like the overarching gamestructure like missionarchives etc. They feel very disjointed even tho SC2 lend itself to this kind of release structure far better due to it having three different storys and races that are somewhat connected to each other, where as FF7 is one big, singular story with one party that you level up and stuff.

Dr Dogg

To be honest UE4 is a better engine than most developers have made bespoke for a specific title in house. In fact it's branching out further past game development now with all sorts of quirky uses.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of The_Super_Inframan, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 33 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (The_Super_Inframan, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Shmadow -- MB-C2CAD8D404131ADE - Taken by Loptous. 4 entrants total.
The Chronicles of Emerland Solitaire -- MB-F78208033983F71B - Taken by alr1ght. 3 entrants total.
Ghost Encounters Deadwood - Collector's Edition -- MB-953A2D649991C5A0 - Taken by Sammichu. 3 entrants total.
Post Mortem -- MB-6D2D9860F362E7C1 - Taken by Diedac. 1 entrants total.
Fine Sweeper -- MB-B5B08FBA882E79CD - Taken by septicore. 2 entrants total.
AXYOS -- MB-2AD08F8E78F2AC4A - Taken by pantsattack. 3 entrants total.
Curse The Eye of Isis -- MB-85A2B5C76BDED00C - Taken by Jalal. 2 entrants total.
Tiki Man -- MB-44BA44777BA65F4F - Taken by WinterDemons. 1 entrants total.
Trap Them -- MB-18D6FE1B0A8276C9 - Taken by Dusk Golem. 2 entrants total.
Amerzone The Explorer's Legacy -- MB-6555A315B7C70476 - Taken by septicore. 1 entrants total.
Smugglers 5 -- MB-E72029D5A0DA3732 - Taken by Baron_Calamity. 2 entrants total.
Save the Furries -- MB-59515B58F32D99C9 - Taken by nightstorm. 2 entrants total.
Miracle Fly -- MB-A59E0A852FC013CC - Taken by rainking187. 3 entrants total.
Super Star Path -- MB-4D3C0F577B08D1C7 - Taken by derExperte. 4 entrants total.
Hard Reset Extended Edition -- MB-CA8E052F5D8C8944 - Taken by Red Hood. 5 entrants total.
Go To Bed Survive The Night -- MB-0C79A41861ED5501 - Taken by bkw. 3 entrants total.
Salammbo Battle for Carthage -- MB-892871B2E7BC1E38 - Taken by dave is ok. 1 entrants total.
The Egyptian Prophecy The Fate of Ramses -- MB-CE14207DA22264A1 - Taken by Mikurden. 1 entrants total.
Chronoclysm -- MB-7348956B043AF8A9 - Taken by LordCommanderNooooo. 4 entrants total.
Prehistorik -- MB-309DBD4E1A77CB47 - Taken by Benedict. 1 entrants total.
Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader -- MB-238809027B32355B - Taken by SSPssp. 3 entrants total.
Shutter -- MB-E7486D623959D309 - Taken by redlacs. 3 entrants total.
Hypership Out of Control -- MB-B41ABC2FA05C933C - Taken by Costa1774. 3 entrants total.
Dracula 4 and 5 Special Steam Edition -- MB-89AFDA0E22346718 - Taken by PunishedSnake. 1 entrants total.
Incitement 3 -- MB-04FF57E53F55C55A - Taken by Kifimbo. 1 entrants total.
BloodRayne Betrayal -- MB-D71A4DC51F3B519A - Taken by Shalashaska. 7 entrants total.
Love -- MB-69DE6DF7B29CF634 - Taken by data. 1 entrants total.
Robin Hood The Legend of Sherwood -- MB-442B61711FC60792 - Taken by texhnolyze. 1 entrants total.
Ancients of Fasaria Chess Club -- MB-243EBE9183CD796F - Taken by gurm3n. 2 entrants total.
Mutant Mudds Deluxe -- MB-A4AD00FADCA91FA7 - Taken by thesaucetastic. 8 entrants total.
Shadows on the Vatican Act I Greed -- MB-A986CB4FCD061312 - Taken by Natty1. 2 entrants total.
Armed with Wings Rearmed -- MB-4D51023B96B85DF4 - Taken by KenOD. 5 entrants total.
ChargeShot -- MB-6049474D6A7819B9 - Taken by Belgarion. 2 entrants total.

t1449524360z1.png

jshackles

Yep, this is exactly what I'm trying to say although I'll agree I'm putting a more positive spin on it. The other interesting question most people aren't asking is: would you pay $180 for a fully realized Final Fantasy VII remake? I know this sounds crazy, but I certainly would, and I don't think I'm alone. As someone else said, you can't fault them for liking money.

#buyonlybundledorheavysalediscountpeasantrace represent

I'm fully aware if everyone bought like me there would be no more AAA games/expensive remasters/passion and risk products. So I have to thank you wealthy folks who enable it I think.
:eek:

I need to use twitter more often. Once I'm back at my PC, I'll reply to that with "on PC I wood" for sure!
Woah, did not think it would be full priced o_O Can't see BB hitting it big tbh. Bad timing.
Hey SteamGAF here is Google Form where you can add your SteamGAF nick and yout Twitter name.

Google Form

Google Sheet with SteamGAF Twitter names

Google Sheet

And there is also Twitter list that i made from people who i follow

Twitter List

Feel free to add yourself if you want :D And if you agree Thread creator can include it if he want's in OP.

Old Sheet has been deleted so please submit your names again.
Cool. Will add myself later. We should also do a similar thing for birthday dates me thinks.

Jawmuncher

were the old turok PC games based off the n64 releases? and we they actually good or just good because they were on the n64 and their player base didn't know any better?

I just remember turok being super foggy on the n64 that one time i rented it as a kid hah.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Yep, this is exactly what I'm trying to say although I'll agree I'm putting a more positive spin on it. The other interesting question most people aren't asking is: would you pay $180 for a fully realized Final Fantasy VII remake? I know this sounds crazy, but I certainly would, and I don't think I'm alone. As someone else said, you can't fault them for liking money.

I'm not sure I would upfront in part because I don't buy games on release at all so just as a matter of mechanics, I'd be waiting until it was super cheap. But in principle I'm not against buying a FF7-1, FF7-2, FF7-3, and FF7-4 adding up to well over the total of what I would have spent on a single game to begin with.

My bigger concern about the episodic nature is if it ends up being a series of loosely connected vignettes (like a "greatest hits scenes") rather than a game from beginning to end. Like, I'd expect to be able to bring my savegame from game to game, to play the whole game including the minigames, etc.

Eila

Night Dive doing god's work getting these good old games back on steam with enhacements.
Shame Rage Wars and 3 never hit PC, if only to have the entire series.

Dr Dogg

I think we need to define the scope of a 'fully realised remake' first. If it was to be what Kitase and Sakaguchi meant years ago with an expanded universe of VII but in game form and not the multimedia slant they took. So spreading multiple games as more of a universe with different viewpoints than just straight up VII remade but with the stuff from the cutting room floor reworked in then sure I might be interested. That or have VII, Crisis Core and Before Crisis as your 3 games to remake from the ground up. Well you'd have to really as they're all radically different on account of being designed for 3 very different platforms in a home console, a hand held console and mobile phones. Plus us in the west never got to experience Before Crisis.

I'm not sure I would upfront in part because I don't buy games on release at all so just as a matter of mechanics, I'd be waiting until it was super cheap. But in principle I'm not against buying a FF7-1, FF7-2, FF7-3, and FF7-4 adding up to well over the total of what I would have spent on a single game to begin with.

My bigger concern about the episodic nature is if it ends up being a series of loosely connected vignettes (like a "greatest hits scenes") rather than a game from beginning to end. Like, I'd expect to be able to bring my savegame from game to game, to play the whole game including the minigames, etc.

I wonder how it will handle grinding between episodes. What if I get super jacked in episode 2? Will the games adapt and take these things into account or will i be sleepwalking through years of FFVII content because I decided to brute force one boss a couple of years back? Or because I liked the game so much I just kept at it even when I had finished all of the quests in an episode? Or will grinding not even be possible?

It's going to be pretty interesting, to watch how this whole thing is handled.

Huh, must have mixed it up with other similar game. Thought it's mp only. Now I am interested slightly in it.

Well, it's not hard to mix it up, when there are so many hero shooters coming up and all have similar, bad titles, haha.

Maybe you thought of Overwatch. That's $40 and has a $60 edition as well. Or BattleCry. That might be canned. Or Paladins. That's F2P. Or Gigantic. That too. Or Paragon. That too. (The latter two are MOBAs). Or LawBreakers. F2P. etc lol

Eila

They said they would work on bringing those over still.

Wow, that's great. Sounds like a lot of work to port some old ass N64 game.
Wonder if they can get access to the source code still. If not, they should get hired by squeenix to port FF IX instead ;)

Monooboe

squarecells_by_monooboe-d9jdd0e.jpg

OK that didn't take too long, easier than hexcells, which is good because I tended to guess much more in hexcells. Good price for easy achievements at least.:D

jshackles

I agree completely here as well. We will end up with some form of the following:
  • Loosely connected vingnettes (or the "greatest hits scenes"). Since the latest trailer only essentially showed clips from the storming of the Sector 1 Reactor this is a huge fear most people have.
  • Complete Final Fantasy VII game. This seems unlikely given their wording, but it's possible the meant that they wanted to remake Final Fantasy VII AND other games in the universe such as Crisis Core or an Advent Children game. Each would be standalone and playable from start to finish.
  • Something akin to "seasons" of Telltale games (ie The Walking Dead). This is most likely what we'll end up with, in my opinion. Each game is a standalone experience, but at the beginning you'll be able to import your data from the previous game and pick up where you left off. New players will be given a brief "Previously, on Final Fantasy VII" section and characters with low to average levels and gear.
But it will probably be some combination of the three. I guess we'll just have to wait and see how this thing fully forms.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
If Final Fantasy 7 Remake is multi-part like the .hack games were, I don't think I would mind it too much. I still got the sense of more than a full game and world from them. Though I'm one to wait until it's all out to be sure it will be completed.

My biggest fear is another Soul Reaver 1 like ending, just a simple "TO BE CONTINUED" for the first episode.

My God that last Bloodborne DLC boss ;_;

About to fight him. Any tips?

Well, it's not hard to mix it up, when there are so many hero shooters coming up and all have similar, bad titles, haha.

Maybe you thought of Overwatch. That's $40 and has a $60 edition as well. Or BattleCry. That might be canned. Or Paladins. That's F2P. Or Gigantic. That too. Or Paragon. That too. (The latter two are MOBAs). Or LawBreakers. F2P. etc lol
Wow, there's even more than I initially thought :eek:
All those similar, so soon to each other. Can't think at least some of them will fail not by being bad but only due bad timing.

If Final Fantasy 7 Remake is multi-part like the .hack games were, I don't think I would mind it too much. I still got the sense of more than a full game and world from them. Though I'm one to wait until it's all out to be sure it will be completed.

This is likely how it'll end up like. At least that's what the impression i received. Just wait for this weeks 8 page interview to be up on Famitsu's site. I'm sure we will have some interesting information there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom