• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2015 - _ Diretide Greetings and Happy Holidailies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarcasm

Mobile version needs updating. I have pictures and gifs off yet half the stuff people link picture wise get shown. Like the avatar link.

I assume it is due to different image hosts or something.

Dr Dogg

It's not a open-world title, FWIW, so shouldn't have any stuttering issues.

Well I was more thinking along the lines of resolution, aspect ratio and framerate. Being a competitive fighter played primarily online I expect 2 of them to be locked down pretty tight. But it's UE3 and there's a whole host of things you can monkey about with so who knows.

L.O.R.D

it's very weird they still didn't put the buy button for Lightning Returns , so there will be no preload
but consider the size of the game , i suspect at least it will take 18 -20 GB fro, the hard drive.

Ludens

Banned
it's very weird they still didn't put the buy button for Lightning Returns , so there will be no preload
but consider the size of the game , i suspect at least it will take 18 -20 GB fro, the hard drive.

Yup, even FFXIII-2 got a pre-purchase period. I still call the "port is a mess" card.
It took way too long, and the infos released are not exactly so good.

Dr Dogg

I still think it's audacious to call your seasonal finals "The World Championship" when pricesely only one country has any representatives present.

Tizoc

Yo Dr. Dogg, if you're really strict about the English language, I'd advise caution when reading up about Melty Blood and it's series in general :p

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
Resident Evil 0 digital pre-orders come with bonus cheerleader outfit & Wolf Force costume

Xbox Store outs pre-order bonuses.

resident_evil_0_costume.jpg

Milamber

If Dr Dogg was interested in the Japanese media culture, I'd think that he'd at least give the English language a break over there.

I still think it's audacious to call your seasonal finals "The World Championship" when pricesely only one country has any representatives present.

Let's ask the Ms. Universe people what they think first.

Locust

More leaks on SteamDB it seems :p

424790 Added name – Akaneiro: FREE
411830 Added name – SENRAN KAGURA SHINOVI VERSUS

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
More leaks on SteamDB it seems :p

424790 Added name – Akaneiro: FREE
411830 Added name – SENRAN KAGURA SHINOVI VERSUS

410990 Added name – Master of Orion 3
410980 Added name – Master of Orion 2
410970 Added name – Master of Orion 1

How have Valve not plugged this? It's been nearly 3 days since everything started leaking.

Do you think Devs / pubs are going to be annoyed by this? At the very least it changes their promotional plans, I assumed the Arcsys press release today was down to all their games getting leaked?

Messiah

How have Valve not plugged this? It's been nearly 3 days since everything started leaking.

Do you think Devs / pubs are going to be annoyed by this? At the very least it changes their promotional plans, I assumed the Arcsys press release today was down to all their games getting leaked?

I doubt the press release is due to the leak considering they are releasing Xrd in two days. Doesn't seem like they got caught by surprise.

I doubt the press release is due to the leak considering they are releasing Xrd in two days. Doesn't seem like they got caught by surprise.

There was a lot more than Xrd in the press release (I'm referring to their 2016 line up statement, not just Xrd btw)

fantomena

That was quite the logical leap.

Well he might not be wrong. Kagari has said plenty of times that the engine for Lightning Returns is a mess for PC which is why it took so long.

Ofcourse, we cannot say for sure the Lightning Returns for PC will be a bad port, but the engine the game used didn't work well on PC.

That was quite the logical leap.

In fairness, it is a fair assumption. Almost every FF port they've done has had some technical problems, ranging massive perf issues to sloppy options.

I'm trying to think of the ports that they've done which haven't had some technical limitations...the DS ports have problems, the PS1 ports have problems, the XIII twins have problems, I'm not so sure about V though.

However, Type-O was surprisingly competent from what I remember so hopefully that bodes well for LR

Squares best PC port to date is unsurprisingly XIV (it really is tremendous, even by admittedly low MMO graphical standards, it looks brilliant, runs fantastic and was patched with DX11 features, some of the best screenshots I've even taken have been in XIV)

Jawmuncher

No chance

"There's always a chance"
For your edit: we don't know the actual dates of SV on PC and EV. Also they're sequels to one another not updates like Xrd. Would be like Square going "we're bringing FF3 to you this winter and FF4 next year!". Doesn't seem like that much of a stretch.

Grief.exe

Well he might not be wrong. Kagari has said plenty of times that the engine for Lightning Returns is a mess for PC which is why it took so long.

Ofcourse, we cannot say for sure the Lightning Returns for PC will be a bad port, but the engine the game used didn't work well on PC.

In fairness, it is a fair assumption. Almost every FF port they've done has had some technical problems, ranging massive perf issues to sloppy options.

I'm trying to think of the ports that they've done which haven't had some technical limitations...the DS ports have problems, the PS1 ports have problems, the XIII twins have problems, I'm not so sure about V though.

However, Type-O was surprisingly competent from what I remember so hopefully that bodes well for LR

Squares best PC port to date is unsurprisingly XIV (it really is tremendous, even by admittedly low MMO graphical standards, it looks brilliant, runs fantastic and was patched with DX11 features, some of the best screenshots I've even taken have been in XIV)

He's more than likely correct as this is Square, just pointing out that the steps used to reach that conclusion, no pre purchase period, long dev time, aren't relevant.

If I can at least get stable 30fps and 1080p I'm content.

That's the Japanese port sweet spot.
They don't like going over 30 FPS, they don't like going over 1080p.

What's going on over there? At least some of these companies are improving, From is a perfect example.

Messiah

There was a lot more than Xrd in the press release (I'm referring to their 2016 line up statement, not just Xrd btw)

Oh yeah, my bad I misunderstood. I'd say it's likely that the leak influenced them to reveal their line-up for the foreseeable future to this extend.

I do also think that it's in ArcSys interest for their upcoming releases to be known in advance rather than their usual procedure of revealing their next release only a few days before it unlocks. Excitement for an upcoming release and especially sharing that excitement in a community like for example this thread can really push sales for a game, as seen with Tales of Zestiria (although there also was the added bonus of the preorder game)

"There's always a chance"
For your edit: we don't know the actual dates of SV on PC and EV. Also they're sequels to one another not updates like Xrd. Would be like Square going "we're bringing FF3 to you this winter and FF4 next year!". Doesn't seem like that much of a stretch.

We know enough about the dates, EV is Q1 2016, current placeholder is early February, SV on PC was announced for summer.

They're spin-offs without much important story, from a gameplay perspective, EV is pretty much SV but better.

Dr Dogg

Can I ask a question? How many of you that have experienced a PC title that had less than stellar performance and options have contacted that publishers/developers support department and made them aware of said issues? If so how often do you and what tolerances do you ignore or report them?

Jawmuncher

Can I ask a question? How many of you that have experienced a PC title that had less than stellar performance and options have contacted that publishers/developers support department and made them aware of said issues? If so how often do you do and what tolerances do you ignore or report them?

I call them out of the steam forums or refund immediately. The CS for all games I have ever tried to push further sucks. "Have you tried restarting or reinstalling the game?"

fantomena

Can I ask a question? How many of you that have experienced a PC title that had less than stellar performance and options have contacted that publishers/developers support department and made them aware of said issues? If so how often do you do and what tolerances do you ignore or report them?

I contacted the executive producer of Crysis 2 through his personal Facebook account when I had some performance problems. :p

Nathan Camarillo I think his name is.

Fun fact: To this day Im still on his friends list.

Ludens

Banned

I had (still have) a crash on FFIV After Years during the ending cutscene (preventing me to save my game for NG+), contacted SE, after like two weeks I got a reply in which they told me to disable my antivirus (I already gave them dxdiag report), fact is I didn't have an antivirus installed, so I dropped the ball and uninstalled the game.

In another case, for Shovel Knight, there was a typo in the italian translation of the game, I reported it to YatchClub and they fixed it.

I think if you report an issue to a small, indie dev studio, there's a change it gets actually fixed, while big studios will just ignore your message.

Dr Dogg

I call them out of the steam forums or refund immediately. The CS for all games I have ever tried to push further sucks. "Have you tried restarting or reinstalling the game?"

So no then. So a couple of years ago, maybe even three now I posted in one of the PC Perf threads here about a title that had some UI scaling issues. Nothing most people would pick up but a couple of the UI elements had hardcoded positional elements that didn't adjust correctly to resolutions over 1920x1080. I posted a few example pictures, thought nothing of it and carried on playing the game not expecting it to be dealt with. About a week after that post a developer for that game PMed me saying thank you for picking up on that issue, that it had been passed on to the team and about 2 weeks later was addressed in patch. I was kind of taken a back that just a slight observation on my part led to an issue being fixed. Since then I've made a more concious effort in reporting bugs and issues and not just posting on GAF about them.

I contacted the executive producer of Crysis 2 through his personal Facebook account when I had some performance problems. :p

Nathan Camarillo I think his name is.

Fun fact: To this day Im still on his friends list.

Do your PR contacts ask you for any bug submissions when you do reviews and such? A couple of folks I've worked with that used to work for Future Publishing said some were really keen to get them while others weren't really that fussed at all.

I had (still have) a crash on FFIV After Years during the ending cutscene (preventing me to save my game for NG+), contacted SE, after like two weeks I got a reply in which they told me to disable my antivirus (I already gave them dxdiag report), fact is I didn't have an antivirus installed, so I dropped the ball and uninstalled the game.

In another case, for Shovel Knight, there was a typo in the italian translation of the game, I reported it to YatchClub and they fixed it.

I think if you report an issue to a small, indie dev studio, there's a change it gets actually fixed, while big studios will just ignore your message.

Hahaha well I'm sure we all have horror stories from support reps giving baffling advice, just look at that Steam Support post zkylon posted the other day that took 3 months to say restart the client. I think things like translation errors and other smaller issues that are apparent and effect everyone are usually fixed more over than situation errors that could result in being from something due to a users hardware configuration. I mean christ even simple looking games on the surface are mechanically complex underneath.

Jawmuncher

Dogg I see that working with a Indie dev. Really don't think that would pan out for a AAA game (unless it's a mass problem) or a Japanese developer who is just ignoring the thread (tecmo koei).
For example if I had an issue with Cook Serve Delicious, I would try that. If I have a issue with MGSV, all I can do is pray that the community has a fix or that it's a big enough issue that Konami looks into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom